The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 April 2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Dr. Hips
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
5513 Help

Hiya folks,

I've been wondering about this 5513 in the sales forum. Here's the link.

http://50.30.33.71/~trfcom/showthrea...highlight=5513

is this a good price for this guy? watch looks clean and i've seen the serials on it. just not all that familiar with 5513's to know if i'm missing something or not.

thanks in advance.
Dr. Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 10:10 AM   #2
BB83

Watch: Daytona
Is it just me but do none of those 4 pics in the ad show the dial??
BB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Dr. Hips
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
the first one does.

Dr. Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 10:35 AM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Personally I won't comment on another TRF sellers watch other than for the money it is fine. You get what you pay for.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Jan Davis
Fake Identity Cyber-Criminal

Watch: DateJust
What you need to know, is the serial number to start out with, get photos of the serial number and the case number. See what year the case was made and then you can go from their.
With the serial number you can identify if the dial goes with the watch, a total of five Maxi dials are made, ask for a close up photo showing you the Submariner and depth on the dial. Check to see if the dial is authentic and not a re-conditioned, re-painted.
Ask for the bracelet number and end pieces, the Maxi's should be 93150/580 or 9315 and look up to see if they match the 5513. Verify if the bracelet is authentic by getting a close up of the clasp, end pieces and ends of the bracelet and see the year date on the clasp, then check with the year of the watch.
Last is a photo of the movement and find out what it looks like, the movement number should be a 1520.

Look up ORCHI for a Submariner reference on TRF he is the expert on the Submariners.
Jan Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 11:19 AM   #6
paddy_crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan1965 View Post
personally i won't comment on another trf sellers watch
+1
paddy_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2011, 10:42 PM   #7
killborn
"TRF" Member

Hey all.. A newbie here and wanted to try and latch onto this thread and see if anybody could comment on this piece. Its a 5513 -5512 from 1984.
I believe that the dial info as follows:

DIAL: Factory original Rolex black dial with luminous markers and white printing. The dial is in excellent condition with a stunning yellow patina to the luminous markers, and no scratches, chips or losses. The hands are also the original Rolex items. Please note, the markers and the hands have been relumed, and do match.
The dial looks quite different from others I have found online. Any comments on this piece?

killborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2011, 11:49 PM   #8
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
Originally Posted by killborn View Post
Its a 5513 -5512 from 1984.
I believe that the dial info as follows:

DIAL: Factory original Rolex black dial with luminous markers and white printing. The dial is in excellent condition with a stunning yellow patina to the luminous markers, and no scratches, chips or losses. The hands are also the original Rolex items. Please note, the markers and the hands have been relumed, and do match.
Well its not a 5512, its a 5513. How are you dating it to 1984? And why are you saying the markers and hands have been relumed? A watch from this period would not normally need reluming.

Have you a link to the listing? The dial IMO looks OK for the later version of the 5513 (gloss wg surrounds) but I do not understand your comments above.

Maybe you should start your own thread on this.
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 12:43 AM   #9
killborn
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the response. The comments I posted are from the seller. Listing is at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-VINTAGE-Au...ht_8031wt_1026

The 5512 is stamped on the inside of the back cover, hence why I added the 5512.

I have considered bidding on this and would like an honest opinion of this watch..
I have just recently purchased my first rolex, the 2011 ceramic bezel sub and thought that this one might be a good daily wear addition.
killborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 05:51 AM   #10
bertberr
"TRF" Member

Not sure why you'd want a vintage piece (as that's what it is now) with a relumed dial & hands, unless it was very cheap?

If it's your first vintage, which it sounds like it is, I'd give ebay a miss - could be lucky but more likely you'll get burnt.

Plenty of nice examples come up on here, I'd be patient and get something original and with the added piece of mind that this forum's marketplace would give you, or another of the trusted / well known sellers such as Eric, Andrew Shear, Steve Mulholland, Mike Wood etc
bertberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Stay away. Relumed dial and hands reduce the value. It will likely go for > $4,000 and IMHO is not worth more than that.

Why on earth do so many resort to Fleabay for Rolex watches

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 12:04 PM   #12
jedly1
"TRF" Member

the seller is very well known adn respetced so the description will be honest ...the 5512 is not unusual.....the desirability however is pretty low from a vintage point of view.

the dial could be replaced witha non relumed one ..and some would argue a mk5 maxi could fit in there as it on the end of the matt crossover....so it will probably make an ok price.

if its your first vinatge ..learn the most important lesson you will find ...keep it problem free and as original as possible and you wont go wrong.
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote