The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 18 April 2009, 02:29 PM   #1
MikeJaye

GMT Date & time setting

Hi,

I'm picking up a GMT 2C next week and was just wondering the best way to set the date and time as I understand it to be a bit different to my Sub LV. I've seen a few vids on youtube and have noticed it doesn't have a quick set date function....is this true? Also I've seen people wind the watch so the hour hand (short 12hr one) goes anti-clockwise through midnight so the date jumps back a day...I'e always thought that doing this damages the movement. Is the 3186 movement different to the 3135 in this respect?

Please help me out as I don't want to get the watch and then start damaging it.

Thanks

Mike
MikeJaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaye View Post
Hi,

I'm picking up a GMT 2C next week and was just wondering the best way to set the date and time as I understand it to be a bit different to my Sub LV. I've seen a few vids on youtube and have noticed it doesn't have a quick set date function....is this true? Also I've seen people wind the watch so the hour hand (short 12hr one) goes anti-clockwise through midnight so the date jumps back a day...I'e always thought that doing this damages the movement. Is the 3186 movement different to the 3135 in this respect?

Please help me out as I don't want to get the watch and then start damaging it.

Thanks

Mike
The watch is designed to go backwards, so don't worry about damaging it!
Depending on if you want the 24h time to be different or the same as the 12h time, this is how I set it:

Lets say I want the 24h to be 3 hours ahead of the local 12h (from LA to NY) and it's 11am where I'm at. I will turn the hands untill the 24h hand points to the 14 on the bezel (lined up of course). Then I will push the crown in and pull into the first setting to move the 12h hand 3 hours back (assuming they where synchronised).
If your hands are not synchronised, do that first, so you have your am and pm right (so your date doesn't jump at noon).

To sync; Turn all your hands past 12 'til the date jumps. Now you know where 12am is on your 12h hand. If your 24h hand is at 6 at that time, just move your 12h hand (only) to the 6 o'clock position, going forward. If your 24h hand was pointing to the 22h mark on the bezel, you can either move the 12h hand 2 hours back, or you can move forward with that 12h hand past 12 again, and set it to 10.
Hope that makes sense...

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2009, 05:11 PM   #3
MikeJaye

Yes that makes sense...thanks. Prob make more sense though once I have the watch next week.

So is there a postion on the crown that just sets the date? If not say the date was on the 15th and I wanted to set it to the 28th is the best way to set it is to advance the 12hr hand (about 24 clockwise revolutions) to the 27th then going about the procedure you mentioned above?

I'll be wearing the watch in rotation with another so if it's going to be a hassle setting the date and time I might invest in a winder.
Old 19 April 2009, 12:22 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is no "quick-set" function on the GMT. So, no, there is not a position on the crown for the date only.

However, as said, you set the date my moving the jump hour hand around the dial.......and you can go forward or backwards with the date, so setting a new date only takes a few seconds..
Old 19 April 2009, 02:07 AM   #5
MikeJaye

cool...thanks for the info.