The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2019, 10:11 PM   #1
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Rolex strategy directing us to other models?

Hi all,

Just been thinking about the whole Rolex supply ‘strategy’.

Oh not not another thread about this

But it seems that due to scarcity of certain models we are paying more attention to ones we previously would not have looked at.

I bought an Explorer last year and it was never really on my radar until the scarcity of other models happened.

Anyone else find this?

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:13 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I always look at all the brands that interest me.

Jocke's report from Basel shows just how far behind Rolex is by creating versions of products like Microsoft, blah and passe'

I buy what I like and am actually glad that Rolex has removed itself from my shopping list. More watches and brands to explore, research and understand.

It should be about the passion for watches, not the Instagram hype of this weeks fool wearing this week tool
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:49 PM   #3
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
It's not going to hurt Rolex, but it will help other brands.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:58 PM   #4
2024 Pledge Member

Just because you can't get what you want doesn't mean it's a "strategy". People used to buy what they wanted regardless of popularity. Now everyone wants the same thing. The whole thing is silly.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:05 PM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Just because you can't get what you want doesn't mean it's a "strategy". People used to buy what they wanted regardless of popularity. Now everyone wants the same thing. The whole thing is silly.
And very disheartening, I am beginning to question my desire to keep owning and collecting.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 17 April 2019, 11:20 PM   #6
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
I agree. It’s crazy that with many other brands you can walk in, negotiate, make a deal, and get the watch sized and walk out in an hour. With Rolex you have to wait, go gray, or find a relatively in stock model which does cause others to look at other references. But I feel they will always want what they originally looked for.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:22 PM   #7
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Hi all,

But it seems that due to scarcity of certain models we are paying more attention to ones we previously would not have looked at.

I bought an Explorer last year and it was never really on my radar until the scarcity of other models happened.

Anyone else find this?

Just my thoughts.

Side effect of high demand. A rising tide lifts all boats. When the Submariner, GMT and Daytona are sold out, people are more willing to buy the Milgauss, Explorer, Airking and Oyster Perpetual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
I agree. It’s crazy that with many other brands you can walk in, negotiate, make a deal, and get the watch sized and walk out in an hour. With Rolex you have to wait, go gray, or find a relatively in stock model which does cause others to look at other references. But I feel they will always want what they originally looked for.
I don't think it's crazy at all. It's the way the world works. When a new iPhone comes out, there's a wait and a premium. Same with a new Playstation or a new Ferrari or a new Hermes bag. When a product is popular, they sell out. They can't (and shouldn't) print infinity of an item just because there's more buyers than there are items available to sell. Doing so reduces demand because they're not seen as special or interesting if they are sitting unwanted in every dealer's showcase.

Personally I would literally NEVER buy a Tudor, TAG, Omega, Zenith or Hublot at an AD because I know I can buy them gray market for 10-40% off (and I have owned all of those brands -- ALL bought gray market). So in some ways the current Rolex atmosphere is helping the dealer. How many of you would still buy from the AD if you could get your Submariner from DavidSW for 15% off like 5 years ago?

All of my Rolex watches have been purchased from the AD.
Old 17 April 2019, 11:24 PM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
And very disheartening, I am beginning to question my desire to keep owning and collecting.
Try not to let the people and market ruin the watches. I still enjoy them despite the noise. It can't last forever.

Quote:
True. Although waiting in life isn't a bad thing. Society has lost its ability to be patient. We want everything now and it's not healthy.
Old 17 April 2019, 11:24 PM   #9
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Other brands will jump in and consumers will move away from Rolex.
I do not expect to buy a SS Rolex this year.
But I will buy a SS AP Royal Oak because the AD promised me he can source me one in a few months.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:30 PM   #10
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yep and the overall luxury watch market rewards those easily available brands with disinterest.

Ubiquity might be great for a WIS looking for their fix, but at least for now, that is not what the overall market desires.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:33 PM   #11
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I still enjoy them despite the noise.
Maybe they can be fixed?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:34 PM   #12
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Yep and the overall luxury watch market rewards those easily available brands with disinterest.

Ubiquity might be great for a WIS looking for their fix, but at least for now, that is not what the overall market desires.
Very true. Astute and informed response.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:37 PM   #13
dannyp
Banned

Other models? Yes. TT and PM. Where there is more money to be made per watch.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:39 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hi all,

Anyone else find this?

Just my thoughts.

Cannot understand why anyone would buy a model if they do not really want to own it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:40 PM   #15
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I'm still enjoying my watches. What I'm definitely enjoying less is my interactions with (new) collectors. It's all "$$$" and "Tell me what to like!.

There's so little genuine passion and knowledge. I remember Timezone circa 2000. I learned SO MUCH from those dudes and they absolutely LOVED their watches. Not a single "$$$" discussion. Much better back then.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:45 PM   #16
JayHantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
I don't think it's crazy at all. It's the way the world works. When a new iPhone comes out, there's a wait and a premium. Same with a new Playstation or a new Ferrari or a new Hermes bag. When a product is popular, they sell out. They can't (and shouldn't) print infinity of an item just because there's more buyers than there are items available to sell. Doing so reduces demand because they're not seen as special or interesting if they are sitting unwanted in every dealer's showcase.

Personally I would literally NEVER buy a Tudor, TAG, Omega, Zenith or Hublot at an AD because I know I can buy them gray market for 10-40% off (and I have owned all of those brands -- ALL bought gray market). So in some ways the current Rolex atmosphere is helping the dealer. How many of you would still buy from the AD if you could get your Submariner from DavidSW for 15% off like 5 years ago?

All of my Rolex watches have been purchased from the AD.
All excellent points and it’s the truth; the AD has really become the “discount” with the current shortage which definitely helps them. Get a watch you want at MSRP and wait, or move to another model in their line up. I just see how many people who aren’t familiar with how the luxury market is feel when they save and save and try to get a watch they may have wanted for years. It’s frustrating for them and leaves a bad taste in their mouth.
Old 17 April 2019, 11:46 PM   #17
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Watches View Post
I'm still enjoying my watches. What I'm definitely enjoying less is my interactions with (new) collectors. It's all "$$$" and "Tell me what to like!.

There's so little genuine passion and knowledge. I remember Timezone circa 2000. I learned SO MUCH from those dudes and they absolutely LOVED their watches. Not a single "$$$" discussion. Much better back then.
Agreed. I miss those days as well. It didn't matter if you bought a new stainless or PM watch, everything was greeted equally. There was nothing said about investment, value or hype, other than perhaps the 16610LV.

And, I'm with you on new collectors. "Great Daytona/GMT/Sub" has been replaced with "How did you get that?" or "Did you buy from an AD or grey?" It's stupid.
Old 17 April 2019, 11:47 PM   #18
JayHantz

Quote:
Try not to let the people and market ruin the watches. I still enjoy them despite the noise. It can't last forever.

True. Although waiting in life isn't a bad thing. Society has lost its ability to be patient. We want everything now and it's not healthy.
Yeah, with one click ordering and overnight shipping many are losing the ability to be patient and wait, delaying gratification.
Old 17 April 2019, 11:49 PM   #19
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:50 PM   #20
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agreed, perhaps it is time to take a break from this forum as well
Old 17 April 2019, 11:52 PM   #21
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Agreed. I miss those days as well. It didn't matter if you bought a new stainless or PM watch, everything was greeted equally. There was nothing said about investment, value or hype, other than perhaps the 16610LV.

And, I'm with you on new collectors. "Great Daytona/GMT/Sub" has been replaced with "How did you get that?" or "Did you buy from an AD or grey?" It's stupid.
I remember the big topic of the day was "fat hand Daytona" versus "thin hand Daytona" and almost everyone hated the LV and thought it was a rip off at $5400.

Do you remember the guy who owned the fish and chips place on Pier 54 in SF? That guy was an encyclopedia of Oyster Quartz information.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:53 PM   #22
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah, with one click ordering and overnight shipping many are losing the ability to be patient and wait, delaying gratification.
I can't deny falling into the same trap. The last watch I ordered from my AD only took about three weeks. It seemed like forever.

Quote:
I remember the big topic of the day was "fat hand Daytona" versus "thin hand Daytona" and almost everyone hated the LV and thought it was a rip off at $5400.

Do you remember the guy who owned the fish and chips place on Pier 54 in SF? That guy was an encyclopedia of Oyster Quartz information.
Ha... yes. Didn't he suggest buying an Oyster Quartz as an investment and it'll pay for a kid's college education? They really haven't changed in price. $5~10k in Amazon stock would have done far better.
Old 17 April 2019, 11:54 PM   #23
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's all "$$$" and "Tell me what to like!.
This. And the all-too-common "Is it OK to (insert x activity here) with my Rolex?", where x equals "ski", "play golf", "walk", "sleep", "sit", "stand", "sneeze", "take a crap", etc etc ad nauseum.

Not that it bothers me or anything.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:03 AM   #24
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I think people tend to forget the simple fact the 'explosion' in demand of Sports models due to social media in last few years has simply created a demand that Rolex cannot satisfy without massive increase in workforce and probably machinery. Likely skilled and scarce labour that they are likely not willing to take on in case this is temporary. And they have no real need to accommodate this demand anyway.

I would imagine they may have gone some way to accommodate this now with restructuring, maybe? .. and we see more sports models landing in the next few years. Who knows.

It only needs a few extra people to go into every single AD wanting a Sub or BLNR for things to get out of kilter. Actual fact hundreds of people have gone into ADs looking for sports models. Look at the wait lists

How many thousand ADs are there in the world ? They make million watches a year (of all models). There could be 3 million on waiting lists for SS sports alone !

So, I don't think its a 'strategy' as such. Maybe a consequence
Old 18 April 2019, 12:04 AM   #25
Milehighmiracle
"TRF" Member

I’ll still patiently wait for a rolex instead!
Milehighmiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:10 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Yes, the lack of visible supply has meant I've revisited Breitlings and Omegas. Have my eye on the new SMP grey dial, it was hard to find last year but seeing one in my AD recently didn't make me pull the trigger but rather stayed my hand, so the rarity/premium thing does work in making you buy quicker.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:23 AM   #27
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I believe that Rolex's shortages will inadvertently steer buyers to other brands. Hard core Rolex fans will not look elsewhere, but the casual buyer, the general watch lover, and folks looking for their first luxury watch will all widen their gaze.

I recall a story from the 1960's or 1970's involving Cadillac and Toyota. Caddy put on a promotion in which they gave a free Toyota to buyers of the new big Cadillac. The thinking was folks would drive the big expensive Caddy to dinner, work, etc, and use the junky little Toyota for running errands around town. Easy to park. And who cares if you get your door dinged in a parking lot? Cadillac thought nobody would ever fall in love with a cheap tiny Japanese car, like they were immune to the lure of other brands. Especially other brands that were not in Cadillac's class. But what happened was that people found they liked -- no, loved -- the little Toyota. Cadillac showed their loyal customers that there were other choices available, providing a foot in the door to America for a future competitor.

The message is that if you don't guard your customer base it goes elsewhere. Lets hope for Rolex's sake that this doesn't happen to them. Or maybe we should hope it does.
Old 18 April 2019, 12:26 AM   #28
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, the lack of visible supply has meant I've revisited Breitlings and Omegas. Have my eye on the new SMP grey dial, it was hard to find last year but seeing one in my AD recently didn't make me pull the trigger but rather stayed my hand, so the rarity/premium thing does work in making you buy quicker.
No FOMO. The Omega SMP will always be in stock. Omega can't stop making them....in 2 different dial colors...with straps or bracelets....guaranteed to always be in stock.

When the newness wears down, they end up dumped on the grey market for 40% off, pulling down the reference and the brand in the same nasty cycle that Omega seemingly always finds the SMP300 washing in.

Imagine if they had only produced the blue dial and cut back production and distribution to 25% or less of what they normally crank out. Very different story that would be..
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:38 AM   #29
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Only sheep get "directed" towards something
Old 18 April 2019, 12:40 AM   #30
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Hi all,

Anyone else find this?

Just my thoughts.

Yes, I think they are pushing Tudor in the spot that Rolex had previously had and Rolex has moved upstream and purposely become more scare.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote