The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 February 2024, 02:26 AM   #121
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
Interesting.

I post to the WRUW loads of times, but I never expect and never get feedback. And I always flick through that thread just to see what others are wearing, but I almost never write to anyone. Instead, for me, it's ... just feeling happy with my watch and wanting to share that feeling with like-minded people.

Is that, "Wanting to share with like-minded people," the same as, "Caring what other people think?" Is being part of any group automatically caring what other people think? Is the only person who truly doesn't care what other people think, someone who lives alone with no friends?

Great question.

The only people who don’t care what anyone thinks are sociopaths, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 02:33 AM   #122
dhucke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub
I have been on the waiting list for 15 months to buy one (or a GMT). You can sell it to me...
Old 6 February 2024, 02:41 AM   #123
wyguy
"TRF" Member

I agree with your feeling OP.

To me "the black Sub" is the most uninspiring, common, over-hyped watch in existence. All the fakes/homages serve to make the matter even worse. I suppose if you enjoy it's history, or enjoy being "just like everyone else," it is a good choice.

Otherwise there are so many other options available. Have fun finding the right timepiece for you.
wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:06 AM   #124
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
About 3 weeks ago I got the call for a 126610LN. I was happy at the time, but over the course of several weeks, just really didn’t connect with it.

It’s a very basic monotone looking watch. Though I do get the appeal of it being a great daily. That said, I was at a conference last week, every Joe Schmoe had one. I don’t care about exclusivity but the fact that it’s so ubiquitous isn’t cool for me.

I’m thinking about moving on (maybe to add a 126711CHNR or a neovintage AP, or hold out for a SS GMT / SkyD blue or green).

Kind of venting here, but interested to hear what other people think or if they have ever had a similar experience.

Some pics for your time.

Might I suggest going for a yacht master?

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:26 AM   #125
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
A friend of mine, a pilot and heir, wanted a yacht so bad. One came up, he bought it, dumped a fortune in it. Up and down the marina, yacht after yacht, everyone had one, his was much the same. He couldn't take it and sold it. The lesson here is who you hang with, mere toys, vestments of the office or the crowd.

I have one, many others in my circle do to. It's a great watch. That's why I bought it. If I was going to get bored because others have what I have I'd have to get divorced. It seems that all around me others have wives too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub.JPG (107.0 KB, 435 views)
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:53 AM   #126
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Difficult for me to relate as a diver. There's a reason the Sub is everywhere, it's the most iconic sports watch ever made. Funny though - as I type this I have no sub in my collection, the closest I have right now is a 1984 triple 6 Sea Dweller that I traded an older 5513 for for recently. All that said, I will always have a sub or dweller and tend to gravitate towards the 4 and 5 digit models that are mid 70's to mid 80's. May have to pick up an 11 or 124060 no date to round out with some modern. Collection is always evolving...
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 04:13 AM   #127
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
3 weeks later… not connecting with my Submariner Date - moving on

I tried on that watch, at my AD, and I get what you’re saying. It just didn’t give me that great feeling, that my 16610 did. It wasn’t even close. It seemed a bit bulky and uncomfortable. Aside from that, my taste has gotten a bit more refined. I agree with the poster who said it looks a bit awkward, the way you are wearing it, so far down your wrist. Maybe move it up a bit, and try that, for a while. If it still doesn’t feel right, sell it, and get something else.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 04:14 AM   #128
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Everyone here will say this i think....

I wear my Sub for me, not for anyone else, i could care less what anyone wears!

If it looks nice thats great, get what you like and if you dont like it then sell it and move on..

If by chance i connect with someone in the wild that loves watches too, hopefully we can trade stories...

I hope you find what you like!

Note: wrong choice of words, I could care less what anyone wears ( i meant to say think ) i do look at what people are wearing but in a manner thats not so bearing, just like any watch wearer do..ju
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 05:15 AM   #129
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
sorry can’t relate.
+2
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 05:35 AM   #130
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post

If it looks nice thats great, get what you like and if you dont like it then sell it and move on..

If by chance i connect with someone in the wild that loves watches too, hopefully we can trade stories...

Note: wrong choice of words, I could care less what anyone wears ( i meant to say think ) i do look at what people are wearing but in a manner thats not so bearing, just like any watch wearer do..ju
You "couldn't" care less? Otherwise, you do care (at least a little). I'm with you
spellmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 05:40 AM   #131
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post

I’m not picking up what you’re laying down…….

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 05:53 AM   #132
"TRF" Member

Sounds like someone needs a gold sub
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 06:14 AM   #133
Goupax
"TRF" Member

I had a submariner for a time, the lack of date and the thick clasp slowly but surely pushed me to sell it. I have a yachtmaster rhodium now and I am more satisfied with the aesthetics of the case, bracelet, clasp and the precious metal bezel. Rolex has turned into a jewellery company a long time ago anyway, may as well embrace it completely considering the price they charge these days for even an oyster perpetual
Goupax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 06:31 AM   #134
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
A friend of mine, a pilot and heir, wanted a yacht so bad. One came up, he bought it, dumped a fortune in it. Up and down the marina, yacht after yacht, everyone had one, his was much the same. He couldn't take it and sold it. The lesson here is who you hang with, mere toys, vestments of the office or the crowd.

I have one, many others in my circle do to. It's a great watch. That's why I bought it. If I was going to get bored because others have what I have I'd have to get divorced. It seems that all around me others have wives too.

I know what you mean. I recently went to a party and they were serving Dom Perignon. Since every Joe Schmoe there was drinking it, I decided to drink Diet Coke instead. I didn’t want to drink what everyone else was drinking.

But seriously, maybe it’s just me, but I rarely see Submariners out in the wild. And please, nobody tell me it’s because of where I live or what I do. I was a technology executive (before retiring) for a Wall Street firm. I travel the world and I live in one of the richest communities in the country.

I think people on this forum tend to stretch the definition of “everyone.” They see one schmuck on their commute wearing one, and then they say, “everyone has one.”

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 06:35 AM   #135
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Sounds like someone needs a gold sub
LOL

when I got into watches, it was all forum favourites. Monotonous 3 handers. Nothing wrong with them, but I was never in love. Not I have gone all Alexander Shorokhoff, bi-metal, u-boat reverse crown, vintage, etc. and just crazy man And I'm loving every minute ...
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 07:02 AM   #136
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I know what you mean. I recently went to a party and they were serving Dom Perignon. Since every Joe Schmoe there was drinking it, I decided to drink Diet Coke instead. I didn’t want to drink what everyone else was drinking.

But seriously, maybe it’s just me, but I rarely see Submariners out in the wild. And please, nobody tell me it’s because of where I live or what I do. I was a technology executive (before retiring) for a Wall Street firm. I travel the world and I live in one of the richest communities in the country.

I think people on this forum tend to stretch the definition of “everyone.” They see one schmuck on their commute wearing one, and then they say, “everyone has one.”

I agree - I see older men and women with datejusts a ton, but not subs or other Rolex sports watches.
Old 6 February 2024, 07:06 AM   #137
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I agree - I see older men and women with datejusts a ton, but not subs or other Rolex sports watches.
I would say the opposite. I see many old men with subs and daytonas
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 07:16 AM   #138
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I like the Sub, but have always preferred the more radical Sea-Dweller and the dressier and more refined Yacht-Master. For me, the Sub lacks the wow factor, although I can see the reasons for its success among the laymen.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 07:22 AM   #139
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

Rolex are mass produced items. It's no wonder loads of people have them. The Brand is not about exclusivity , it's about "Boring" [ referencing a recent article in ABTW ]. If you want excitement then Rolex is not the brand so sayeth the latest thinking, Far from being the regatta Blazer , they are seen as the Geography teachers jackets. That analogy is clumsy but the thing is , they are nice watches , with classic appeal , but certainly the dive watches are very "tooly" in a non-stunning way so for me it's all about embracing the ordinary in one ironic way. But I do get the "bonding" thing. I wish I didn't but I do, some watches just don't cry "keep me".
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 07:35 AM   #140
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I like the Sub, but have always preferred the more radical Sea-Dweller and the dressier and more refined Yacht-Master. For me, the Sub lacks the wow factor, although I can see the reasons for its success among the laymen.

The laymen? Wow.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 08:37 AM   #141
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post
I literally never have, not even once! Wait I take that back. A retired Steeler from the 70s I know has a black sub date and a guy I met at Starbucks had the black sub TT. My fiend has one now, but helped him get it.
Old 6 February 2024, 08:41 AM   #142
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:

Well this layman had the two other watches, SD43 and the YM rhodium and they are both gone. But the sub 41 date stayed. Jeez, I never considered myself a layman, but I am totally good with that

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 09:02 AM   #143
Phil8352
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I literally never have, not even once! Wait I take that back. A retired Steeler from the 70s I know has a black sub date and a guy I met at Starbucks had the black sub TT. My fiend has one now, but helped him get it.
Chair Powell was wearing a 16610 on 60 Minutes last night, and he’s 71.
Phil8352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 09:20 AM   #144
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post
I see them on everyone's wrists. My clients age range from 35 to 60 and I see Subs on all kinds of people.

Datejust just seems like an old person's watch regardless of the reality of wears the watch.
Nads786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 09:38 AM   #145
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Nothing wrong with a catch and release. Get something with a “pop” of color or more flash. I would bet a GMT is more your style. More going on and certainly a bit more bling.
The black ss Sub is the second most popular style of Rolex after the DJ.
Old 6 February 2024, 09:56 AM   #146
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
It’s a classic watch but I get your sentiment.

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 10:28 AM   #147
SubBMR
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Best watch ever. And I very rarely ever see one out in the wild. But to each his own.

Where do you live in Florida ? I see one almost daily if not in the wild for sure at the office with a lot of other attorneys and wealth management offices.

Op should try the 126622 yachtmaster or like he said himself give the rootbeer a chance. I happen to like the GMT miles better than the sub. Like others have said i got the 116610LV ten years ago to NOT get a black sub.
SubBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 10:44 AM   #148
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
I can agree with you on the plain sub. It is an iconic safe watch. You see more of these than any other Rolex in my opinion. I prefer gmt with some color or the green bezel sub it makes a huge difference
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 10:55 AM   #149
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Layman here and I have not bonded with my 14060m. I’m so confused.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 11:50 AM   #150
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The laymen?

Please tells us more about your refined, yet radical existence.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote