The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2020, 09:27 AM   #1
laramik
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2007 Yacht-Master
Need help deciding on first Rolex DJ41 vs YM Platinum

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have been wanting a Rolex for most of my adult life. Recently I find myself finally in the market for one as budget and children finally allow it. I have about 7k max to spend and had all intentions to purchase a used YM 16622. After spending weeks on Chrono24 and places like Bobs and Crown and Caliber, I finally realized I may be better off heading to a forum to try and find an unmolested version of the YM. All of those places have HIGHLY polished models with bezels that look awful from people polishing over the bead blasted metal. Well, after coming here, checking out the for sale section I definitely realized I was on the right track as there appears to be a much better selection of high quality pieces available.

Which brings me to my dilemma...

After reaching out to a trusted seller concerning a YM he had for sale that was well within my price range, he informed me that the watch had been sold. However he did have a nearly brand new Nov. (2019 dated papers) DJ41 Blue Stick available that is literally flawless. I've always been a huge fan of the blue dials Rolex produces and have to admit that it's a beautiful piece. It's all stainless, but so damn shiny!!! He's asking 6975, which I think is pretty fair. That being said, I definitely think I can get a YM in good condition,perhaps even with papers or RSC card for around that same price or maybe even less.

Background on me:
Watch will only be worn on special occasions as my work doesn't allow for much time to wear a high quality timepiece, however, I'm moving to Florida next year to a waterfront property and will be wearing it a lot on my boat come then. I'm a small guy at 5'6" and 150lbs and I'm 41. Both for my frame well.
I've wanted a Yachtmaster since 2008 but every time I could afford a new one the price bumped up again and it was outside of my reach yet again. However, I REALLY want a blue or rhodium dial and would be settling to a degree for the Platinum dial.
That being said, this watch will probably be traded in at a later date for a newer YM at some point in the future so future resale is of some importance.

What do you all think?

My thoughts: the DJ41 is flawless,beautiful blue dial, but is it worth the premium? And is it too old for me. Or is this a good first step?

Maybe I'm mistaken but doesn't look like it will let me post photos with under 10 posts? If I am I will be happy to post links.
laramik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 03:24 AM   #2
laramik
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2007 Yacht-Master
Well, decision has been made and I ended up going with a YM bought from a reputable source here on the forums. As soon as I get up a post count I'll post pics.
laramik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 03:32 AM   #3
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
If you were going to trade the watch anyway later on for a new YM, it didn't really matter what you bought now, right?

But I think getting the YM now was the best choice. You may find that after a few years, another Rolex catches your fancy. This is a crazy hobby...I know...
cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 03:37 AM   #4
dummykid
"TRF" Member

if you have known you like YM, you should go for it. Even you buy a DJ41 now, you eventually would get a YM.
at the of Dec 2019, I wanted to get a SUB 114060, but it was hard to find, so I got the BB58 in march. In this April, I got a call from AD saying he had 114060 in stock, so I immediately got it.
dummykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 04:07 AM   #5
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
The yacht master will be right at home on your boat. In my mind, the quintessential Florida watch. Looks a lot better with a Hawaiian style shirt and margarita than the date just, and that’s coming from a guy who’s had his fair share of margaritas with his date just.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote