The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 18 November 2023, 02:43 AM   #1
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Shipped a watch, and it's gone. Now what?

I sold a datejust to a dealer. They sent their insured label, priority overnight. I've done this a few times before. I put it in an unmarked cardboard box, carefully packed, and shipped it from FedEx office store in CA on Wednesday afternoon.

The watch did not arrive on the east coast the next day by 1030am Thursday as stated it would on the label. It has been now 24 hours+ since it was supposed to arrive on Thursday. FedEx last scanned the package in Memphis on Wednesday night, and no updates since then. We are almost to the weekend and I do not know what happened to my watch.

The dealer isn't stressed and told me not to either. They said it will arrive. In any case it's insured. I know I shouldn't stress, but I don't like loose ends and it's almost the weekend. I'm not really too worried I'll be out thousands, but I also suspect dealing with a lost watch between myself, FedEx, the dealer and their 3rd party insurance will end up being a huge pain!

At what point am I supposed to worry something has truly gone awry with the shipment?
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 04:05 AM   #2
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexandlange View Post
I sold a datejust to a dealer. They sent their insured label, priority overnight. I've done this a few times before. I put it in an unmarked cardboard box, carefully packed, and shipped it from FedEx office store in CA on Wednesday afternoon.

The watch did not arrive on the east coast the next day by 1030am Thursday as stated it would on the label. It has been now 24 hours+ since it was supposed to arrive on Thursday. FedEx last scanned the package in Memphis on Wednesday night, and no updates since then. We are almost to the weekend and I do not know what happened to my watch.

The dealer isn't stressed and told me not to either. They said it will arrive. In any case it's insured. I know I shouldn't stress, but I don't like loose ends and it's almost the weekend. I'm not really too worried I'll be out thousands, but I also suspect dealing with a lost watch between myself, FedEx, the dealer and their 3rd party insurance will end up being a huge pain!

At what point am I supposed to worry something has truly gone awry with the shipment?

When the dealer tells you to worry, worry.

Not sure which dealer you're working with, but, I had a situation once where a box of 6 watches that I was trading in to WatchBox for a Patek got held up by FedEx for a few days. I sent it on a Wednesday for (I think) Friday delivery. It didn't arrive until Tuesday. Monday, I was freaking out, but WB wasn't.

I think you'll probably be fine.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 04:39 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That would worry me a bit, I’m not going to lie. That said, it would, appear that the dealer sent you the label, so it’s on them to resolve any issue with FedEx.

Glad to hear it’s insured.

Hope it arrives safe and sound next Monday
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 07:42 AM   #4
southtexas

OP- out of curiosity, did dealer and you contemplate how this scenario would be handled prior to you shipping the watch? Since he generated label and provided insurance, he would be the one to handle the claim I presume?

In any case, I bet it shows up early next week. You should ask dealer to get in touch with Fedex now just to put a note in the system. Can't hurt.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 11:19 AM   #5
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/ Ω
I think you'll be okay, and certainly hope everything turns out fine. Great to hear it was insured.

I'm generally in freakout mode when I ship something until the recipient confirms it's arrived safe and sound, so totally understand the stress. I just sold a guitar to someone in the US (from Canada) and got delivery confirmation today, but won't rest easy 'til I get the word from the buyer.

Fingers crossed!!
Old 18 November 2023, 12:12 PM   #6
Watchmanaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 Submariner
If you have dealer label then he has got the issue not you, i get watches from Cali all the time without issue. Glad you insured it as i do the same.
Watchmanaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 12:30 PM   #7
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Uh, dealer label. Rest easy grasshopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 01:11 PM   #8
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Don't worry, it will turn up. 999 out of 1,000 times Fedex figures it out and gets it back on track. The package is somewhere, it will get to the dealer.

Now on the other hand, if you do not know this dealer and they are not highly trusted, they could br running a scam. Hope that's not the case.
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 04:22 PM   #9
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Wouldn't worry, even if it doesn't turn up sounds like since its a dealer sent label, it's insured for loss.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 08:15 PM   #10
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Relax, you cannot lose :)

If FedEX delivers the package to the recipient, then everything will be fine. If this does not happen, then compensation will be paid or the insurance will cover the damage.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 08:50 PM   #11
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Shipped a watch, and it's gone. Now what?

Quote:
FedEx last scanned the package in Memphis on Wednesday night, and no updates since then.

Well Fedex do have some issues to deal with in Memphis
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...his-theft.html
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 10:52 PM   #12
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
Well Fedex do have some issues to deal with in Memphis
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...his-theft.html

Will it be the new norm for the auction friday shopping over there?
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 11:35 PM   #13
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchmanaz View Post
If you have dealer label then he has got the issue not you, i get watches from Cali all the time without issue. Glad you insured it as i do the same.
This^^, not your problem, their label, their issue. You will be made whole, if it doesn't arrive.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2023, 03:18 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
A lot of the replies assume the dealer did as they say and sent an insured label. Is there an email chain expressly stating the dealer will provide label which is fully insured for the value of the watch? In the event of a claim do you have all the paperwork, receipt/proof for purchase, photos of the watch to show condition and what goes along with the watch. Insurance companies just don't pay out on demand, they want proof of everything.

In any event, I would not worry about the shipment, it will turn up at the dealer. You or the dealer as the actual shipper, can contact the shipper and open a "case" which will wake them up and get the package delivered.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2023, 03:33 AM   #15
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
A lot of the replies assume the dealer did as they say and sent an insured label. Is there an email chain expressly stating the dealer will provide label which is fully insured for the value of the watch? In the event of a claim do you have all the paperwork, receipt/proof for purchase, photos of the watch to show condition and what goes along with the watch. Insurance companies just don't pay out on demand, they want proof of everything.

In any event, I would not worry about the shipment, it will turn up at the dealer. You or the dealer as the actual shipper, can contact the shipper and open a "case" which will wake them up and get the package delivered.
Good points. Hopefully the OP provides more clarity or the dealer receives the watch as intended.
Old 21 November 2023, 02:09 AM   #16
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post

The dealer is one of the largest buyers/sellers on the East Coast. Not too worried about about insurance if it is never recovered. I am the sole owner of the watch and I have everything documented. I've been in contact with the dealer who isn't too worried and said I have nothing to worry about with their label being insured. They said they ship thousands of watches a year, occasionally get delays but they show up. Also, this is just a simple datejust 36 and not a high value watch relative to their usual fare and my usual collection. I just want my funds so I can buy more watches lol.
Old 21 November 2023, 02:24 AM   #17
-dustin

Not sure what it is about the Memphis hub, but I've had multiple packages get hung up there. FedEx Ground, though. Haven't had any Express items go through there.
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 04:22 AM   #18
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Not sure what it is about the Memphis hub, but I've had multiple packages get hung up there. FedEx Ground, though. Haven't had any Express items go through there.
do they eventually get delivered?
Old 22 November 2023, 04:25 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I saw your original post and thought you may have come back to update us with good news …. It’s still not delivered I take it. What’s the latest news on tracking?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 04:48 AM   #20
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I saw your original post and thought you may have come back to update us with good news …. It’s still not delivered I take it. What’s the latest news on tracking?
There is a case number now. It was last scanned last Wednesday night, 15-16 Nov, in Memphis. They have collected more info on the package and are trying to find it in the Memphis hub, is my understanding. Supposedly 2-3mm packages are moving thru this hub a day, so they must have some sort of sophisticated process for locating lost boxes (I hope).

Fingers crossed it is found today and delivered tomorrow. If not resolved after Thanksgiving weekend I'll speak to the dealer about filing a claim with their insurance I guess.
Old 22 November 2023, 05:14 AM   #21
-dustin

Quote:
Yeah, nothing has ever been lost. Just...slow, and without update once hitting Memphis.

Ironically, the only time I've ever had a package lost by FedEx was in 2010 when Feldmar was shipping me a PO. I never got a tracking number, and don't know how it was shipped, but Felmar knew the watch was stolen and had ordered me a replacement. ""
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 02:53 AM   #22
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Yeah, nothing has ever been lost. Just...slow, and without update once hitting Memphis.

Ironically, the only time I've ever had a package lost by FedEx was in 2010 when Feldmar was shipping me a PO. I never got a tracking number, and don't know how it was shipped, but Felmar knew the watch was stolen and had ordered me a replacement. ""
That's reassuring. Still no sign of my watch in Memphis so far as I know.
Old 25 November 2023, 02:09 PM   #23
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/ Ω
Any news?
Old 27 November 2023, 01:09 AM   #24
walds11
"TRF" Member

OP, any updates?
Old 28 November 2023, 08:30 AM   #25
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Called FedEx again today. Still no updates. There is a case open and a case manager but they don't provide any info beyond that. Supposedly sometimes packaging comes apart, or labels are ripped off, and the packages go somewhere called "overgoods" where they are sorted. I find this unlikely because I packed my shipment very well and secured the label and all of the edges with clear tape. But here we are, still waiting.

Truthfully I could probably sit on my hands and do nothing because the dealer is working to resolve the issue as well and they probably have a better process with direct contacts at FedEx given they are a business account . But it's my nature to try to tie off loose ends on things like this.
Old 28 November 2023, 08:40 AM   #26
lencap
"TRF" Member

I understand your concern. I shipped a package through FedEx and it was supposed to arrive in 2 days. Not only didn't it arrive, after opening a case file, being assigned a case manager, having conversations with supervisors and more 2 WEEKS after it was supposed to arrive it still hadn't shown up.

Believe it or not it took over THREE WEEKS to find it, but they did indeed find it. I never got an explanation about what happened, only a "Sorry for the inconvenience" comment during the last of my many phone calls.
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 09:10 AM   #27
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Does not surprise me. There was one package which was sitting at the FedEx location as its last location for a week. And this FedEx location was just a mile from my home. I contacted FedEx and they had no idea where it was then it just showed up a week later.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 11:38 PM   #28
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

package still lost, dealer has paid me and left the onus on themselves to deal with fedex/insurance.
Old 7 December 2023, 11:53 PM   #29
aniconic
"TRF" Member

Good Dealer

Quote:
package still lost, dealer has paid me and left the onus on themselves to deal with fedex/insurance.
That's what a quality dealer should do, so it's good to hear they did this. Of course, they'll recoup their money from FedEx/Insurance, but even so.
aniconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 11:56 PM   #30
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Im glad to hear that the dealer took up the insurance claim and paid you before the claim was closed. Thats why its good to only use trusted dealers.