The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 September 2011, 06:59 PM   #1
TB72

Tapered bracelets

Just wondering if any Rolex wearers have found wearing watches from other brands uncomfortable.

The reason I'm asking is my Seadweller is an extremely comfortable watch to wear but I'm struggling to get the same comfort level with my Breitling Avenger Seawolf. I'm finding it's the underside of my wrist area that is not as comfortable. The actual watch on top of the wrist is no problem.

I think it's due to the fact that with the Rolex the bracelets tapers quite noticably and as such is quite narrow at the clasp. The Breitling's bracelet on the other hand remains thick at the clasp, covering more of the underside of the wrist.

I'm fiarly new to the watch game and don't have too many other watches to compare against so I'd be interested in hearing the views of people who have had multiple watches and could compare Rolex v others.
TB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 09:31 PM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
The fact that I have or don't have a taper isn't something I notice when wearing any of my watches. I think I notice the weight or how light it is a lot more. The lighter the better when it comes to wearing a watch all day long. My GMT II on a Super Jubilee, my 16610LV, and my Yacht Master are some of the most comfortable watches I wear. These are a bit more comfortable than the newer Rolex watches that I own. The Speed Master Pro on a bracelet is also very comfortable and the Red Sub on a Nato is ultra comfortable as the Nato strap is barely noticeable.

However I think whether a watch is comfortable or not only depends on the bracelet or strap, but how big it is, how the watch itself sits on the wrist.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 09:38 PM   #3
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Yes I think the tapered bracelets will naturally be more comfortable as your wrist can bend more freely.

I hear some people complain about the tapered bracelets (mostly from wearers of much larger watches). I think it's because they prefer something substantial and heavy on their wrist, and it's nothing about comfort.

Personally I find the Rolex bracelets very comfortable and they match the watch well.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 11:55 PM   #4
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I've got a GP 7050 that has a beautifully built bracelet that is 20mm and doesn't taper. The watch is not as light as a GMT or 14060 because of the bracelet, but what I notice most is the lack of taper. Having no taper is actually a better look on the GP because of the watch's design, but I feel it more on the wrist.

If your Breitling is 22mm or 24mm, I can imagine the lack of taper to make an even bigger difference, of course. I also have a GP 7000 that came without a bracelet. I bought an aftermarket oyster with solid links for it. The added wt (compared to my 14060) is significant but the taper makes the GP 7000 w/oyster just as comfortable as the Sub.

Last edited by slcbbrown; 23 September 2011 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: spellig
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2011, 04:09 AM   #5
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
My Ulysse Nardin 43mm diver has a wide, non-tapering bracelet that is at least if not more comfortable than any Rolex bracelet.
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2011, 06:26 AM   #6
TB72

Thanks guys, really appreciate you input

I guess the lack of taper is something I'm not used to. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

Thanks again.
TB72 is offline   Reply With Quote