The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 December 2011, 05:52 AM   #1
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Rolex Authorized Service

I have a 1996 N16700 SS GMT Master (Pepsi) that is in wonderful shape and I love the timepiece. It hasn't been serviced for years and is gaining a couple of minutes every 5-7 days. Also, the bezel will turn only if I submerge it in very warm water - when it cools down, it will not move. I am getting a quote of $600 for basic service (I think I paid $500 last time I had the watch serviced) plus whatever it will take to repair the bezel. Price is the same whether it's sent out to a Rolex Service Center or an AD who has a Rolex tech on site. Can I simply lubricate this - I'm just afraid to squirt WD-40 into the bezel like it's a screen door! Thanks!!
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2011, 06:04 AM   #2
mderagon

Watch: Black face Daytona
Pop the bezel off and give it a good scrub, its really easy to do just watch out for the little spring located at about 1 0/clock ...You'll need that !!!

as for the gaining thats quite a bit of gain, i've heard you can regulate by laying certain ways but pretty sure it won't cure that much!!

to get the bezel of put some electrical tape around the base at 7 o'oclock put a knife under the bezel and flick it off..you have to be confident with it a don't slip !!! then the bezel pops out from underneath, clean it all up, then make sure the srping is in place and the washer (bezel size thin bit of steel) then clip the outer bezel back on then the actual bezel clips in after that.

I have seen some you tube videos showing how to do it on a sub..

P.S apparently you should not do this of gold as it bends!!!
mderagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2011, 06:58 AM   #3
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I had a similar issue with my GMT bezel and was able to free it up with (unwaxed) dental floss. I ran the floss back & forth under the bezel underwater & it got a bunch of gunk out. May be worth a try before doing anything more drastic.

Also, unless you are a strong believer in RSC there are a few other places recommended by TRF members that can service your watch for $200-$300 less.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Freelance
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Time for a service, pure and simple. The fact it is running fast leads me to believe the movement is "DRY" but not yet gummed up, and the mainspring is still strong and good. (A Dry watch has less friction, which could explain the speed up).

This is your watches way of tapping you on the shoulder...
Freelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2011, 11:35 AM   #5
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
Have the watch serviced. Usually a watch that has been running well starts to gain time because the balance amplitude decreases indicating a need for servicing.
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2011, 03:38 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I have a 1996 N16700 SS GMT Master (Pepsi) that is in wonderful shape and I love the timepiece. It hasn't been serviced for years and is gaining a couple of minutes every 5-7 days. Also, the bezel will turn only if I submerge it in very warm water - when it cools down, it will not move. I am getting a quote of $600 for basic service (I think I paid $500 last time I had the watch serviced) plus whatever it will take to repair the bezel. Price is the same whether it's sent out to a Rolex Service Center or an AD who has a Rolex tech on site. Can I simply lubricate this - I'm just afraid to squirt WD-40 into the bezel like it's a screen door! Thanks!!
OK, Phil, time for a candid talk about pound-wise, penny- ....well you know the rest.

You have a 2010 GMT Master IIc to go along with this 1996 GMT, so treat it nice and put it in for service. It's not like you don't have another Rolex to wear!

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2011, 02:54 AM   #7
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
OK, Phil, time for a candid talk about pound-wise, penny- ....well you know the rest.

You have a 2010 GMT Master IIc to go along with this 1996 GMT, so treat it nice and put it in for service. It's not like you don't have another Rolex to wear!
I'm lucky enough to have the IIc and an older two tone datejust - love them all. As it turns out, this GMT Master (Pepsi) was serviced 4 years ago by a RSC. They replaced the Pepsi bezel, but did not attend to the fact that it was not rotating as it should. I spoke with my AD this morning who suggested we send it back to RSC for service - he agreed they should make $$ adjustment for repairs and recalibration seeing that the watch was only serviced in 2007. He also told me that Rolex has been more customer oriented of late, and he thought they'd do the service at a reduced charge. I'll let you know - but I do want it to function right in all respects. I love this watch, probably more than any of my others.
Old 25 December 2011, 03:17 AM   #8
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Rolex service warranty is two years,it seems a bit optimistic to expect reduced charge service after four.

Good luck!
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 12:46 AM   #9
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Well, I discovered there's nothing that some dental floss and a well aimed spritz of WD-40 won't fix!! The bezel is rotating freely this morning, in both directions (which is something it hasn't done for ages)! Next I'm going to closely check how accurate the watch is over the next 2 weeks. If it's truly gaining a couple of minutes/week, I'll simply have it serviced. And Mobe, I agree the chances of getting the service charge reduced after service 4 years ago aren't great. Hopefully, it won't be needed.
Old 26 December 2011, 12:52 AM   #10
MonBK
Banned

That's the reason they invented WD-40
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 01:11 AM   #11
MoBe
"TRF" Member

WD-40 is the closest thing to magic ever invented.
Old 26 December 2011, 02:12 AM   #12
DJ Hawaii

Watch: Sub Date F Serial
Quote:
Well, I discovered there's nothing that some dental floss and a well aimed spritz of WD-40 won't fix!! The bezel is rotating freely this morning, in both directions (which is something it hasn't done for ages)! Next I'm going to closely check how accurate the watch is over the next 2 weeks. If it's truly gaining a couple of minutes/week, I'll simply have it serviced. And Mobe, I agree the chances of getting the service charge reduced after service 4 years ago aren't great. Hopefully, it won't be needed.
Just have it regulated. A service may not be necessary.
DJ Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 04:12 AM   #13
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hawaii View Post
Just have it regulated. A service may not be necessary.
You may be correct on this. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and make a decision on servicing it. Only a few superficial scratches in the clasp, so not an immediate need for polishing, etc. I'll see whether it's gaining/losing time to any great degree. My TT DJ and GMTIIc keep perfect time.
Old 2 January 2012, 01:18 AM   #14
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Watch is gaining around 25 sec/week. Bezel is very difficult to turn again. I think I'm going to have RSC take a look at it and get it back to factory specs.
Old 2 January 2012, 01:58 AM   #15
DDG

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Here's the list of uses for WD-40, but they need to add "Rolex oil"
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2012, 01:07 AM   #16
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG View Post
Here's the list of uses for WD-40, but they need to add "Rolex oil"
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp
Love it!

Can anyone give me the "expected" tolerance of a Rolex to gain or lose time? Just how accurate should these very expensive timepieces be? Is a minute a month in the ballpark, or should the watch be more accurate than that? When it's recalibrated by RSC, what should I expect in terms of accuracy? Mine's gaining slightly more than a minute a month - should I have it recalibrated?? Thanks!
Old 3 January 2012, 01:13 AM   #17
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
A minute a month is about 0.03 seconds a day, you can't get much more accurate than that

COSC standards are -4/+6 per day...
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2012, 01:19 AM   #18
cjohns
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Easy to do!!CJ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ev6DJT0P4U
cjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2012, 02:31 AM   #19
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
You may be correct on this. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and make a decision on servicing it. Only a few superficial scratches in the clasp, so not an immediate need for polishing, etc. I'll see whether it's gaining/losing time to any great degree. My TT DJ and GMTIIc keep perfect time.
There is a Rolex Serevice Center in Lititz PA.. Have them look at the bezel and see what the issue is..

Just because you have a single part that isn't working properly, doesn't mean that the entire watch suddenly needs a complete service...

If it was done 4 years ago, no reason for it now.. although it clearly needs to be regulated..
Old 3 January 2012, 02:32 AM   #20
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
A minute a month is about 0.03 seconds a day, you can't get much more accurate than that

COSC standards are -4/+6 per day...
Look again,your calculator might need a new battery.

A minute a month or 60 seconds divided by 30 days would be 2 seconds a day.
Old 3 January 2012, 02:45 AM   #21
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBe View Post
Look again,your calculator might need a new battery.

A minute a month or 60 seconds divided by 30 days would be 2 seconds a day.
I'm not sure what I did, early Monday morning and I'm at work......Thanks for catching that, still not bad at 2 secs a day
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2012, 02:47 AM   #22
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance View Post
Time for a service, pure and simple. The fact it is running fast leads me to believe the movement is "DRY" but not yet gummed up, and the mainspring is still strong and good. (A Dry watch has less friction, which could explain the speed up).

This is your watches way of tapping you on the shoulder...
"A dry watch has less Friction",,,,,,Wrong!!!!!!!!

A dry watch has more friction.

If you don`t believe it drain the oil from your car`s engine until it is dry and see what happens.
Old 3 January 2012, 10:05 AM   #23
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
I would avoid spraying any WD-40 on any part of a mechanical watch, particularly near the bezel, crown, or back--it would likely begin to degrade the gasket materials and make the watch more vulnerable to water intrusion at a later date.

Its easy to remove the bezel and clean under it, and if its the small click spring, you should be able to source one relatively easily. Other than that, it very well may be time to have the watch fully overhauled, as the time frame you've stated is well within the interval which Rolex stipulates (and many other service watchmakers recommend, as well)
Adam K. is offline   Reply With Quote