The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 July 2022, 07:44 AM   #1
Cmmatthews
"TRF" Member

Watch: Double Red SD
Consolidating a collection "up" - regrets?

I've got a few reasonably nice pieces but have long had my eye on a Patek Chrono Perpetual, like a 5270G. I've been considering consolidating some of my higher end piece and throwing in some cash to go for it.

Likely this would involve me selling or trading a Lange 1815 chronograph, a Patek 5960G, and a few lower end pieces.

Those who have done this before - did you regret it? My main concern is how frequently I would want to wear out a $150K watch vs some these other pieces, even though the 5270 and similar is a watch I have wanted since I got into collecting seriously 15 years ago.
Cmmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 07:50 AM   #2
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
If you want it go for it. I realized how many watches I had cerises how many wrists I had and figured I better do something similar
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 08:08 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
patek PC/CHRONOs are exceptional examples. of their watchmaking.

personally while I appreciate a manual wind movement I find that for maximum enjoyment as a daily wear the automatic movement is essential.
this also becomes an issue for me when I am considering perpetual calendars, the manual movement takes the watch winder solution off the table.

if you believe that the purest experience of routinely winding the watch will satisfy you then your heading in the right direction

side note I would strongly recommend you handle, wind and operate both the modern 5270 (in-house) and the prior 5970 (lemania) before you make your decision.
Old 29 July 2022, 08:27 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I like this approach. Applies to yachts, too.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 08:43 AM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
These kind of questions really have more to do with you than it does anyone else here. They may very well make some good points but it really comes down to how much you like what you have now vs what your looking to trade for. If you realize the new grail piece may not get used but on very special occaisons and your Ok with that because you still have others to fill your daily needs then it may very well work well for you. If not, then don't go there.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 09:05 AM   #6
Cmmatthews
"TRF" Member

Watch: Double Red SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
These kind of questions really have more to do with you than it does anyone else here. They may very well make some good points but it really comes down to how much you like what you have now vs what your looking to trade for. If you realize the new grail piece may not get used but on very special occaisons and your Ok with that because you still have others to fill your daily needs then it may very well work well for you. If not, then don't go there.
Of course, basically every watch question is personal at the end of the day. More just curious as to other's stories of regret. Perhaps I am trying to talk myself out of it, I don't know, or just to understand what it's like to wear around a $150K watch on a frequent basis...my guess is that it isn't much different than wearing a $60K watch but there is something psychological about that 100K threshold.
Cmmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 09:15 AM   #7
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmatthews View Post
Of course, basically every watch question is personal at the end of the day. More just curious as to other's stories of regret. Perhaps I am trying to talk myself out of it, I don't know, or just to understand what it's like to wear around a $150K watch on a frequent basis...my guess is that it isn't much different than wearing a $60K watch but there is something psychological about that 100K threshold.
Ask yourself how long will it be for the 100K novelty to wear off, and whether that one watch is worth as much as all the others.

I sold a bunch of watches last year. I don't miss them all, but I do regret selling my 5513.
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 09:45 AM   #8
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
You adapt pretty quick. Lot of people can’t imagine having $2,000 on their wrists.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 10:02 AM   #9
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Go for it! Get what you’ve always wanted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 10:12 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Many years ago did that for a 3970er, though I did wear it a lot. Yeah, go for it but wear it. Use the heck out of it and enjoy. My 'job' changed and moved to the beach, so the current collection now leans in that direction.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 11:06 PM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Your always going to find that just as your always going to find those who don't regret it. It really does come down to you. Will you or won't you be comfortable from all aspects with the decision you have made? This isn't their watch nor their money.

I just know when doing something similar I was more comfortable knowing my selections where made with watches that historically did very well in retaining if not growing in value. No guarantees but it did provide me with more comfort.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 11:08 PM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have done this and continue to do so

No regrets and I am far happier
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 11:16 PM   #13
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

If you feel comfortable wearing it, then definitely yes. Most folks have a dollar number that is the limit they will put on a wrist and still feel comfortable. Mine is about $50k.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2022, 12:53 AM   #14
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

As you're already pretty high end, I'm not sure adding complications truly makes a watch more high end. Obviously it costs more money but the question is, for what?

Complications that I would never use but are really just toys or 'prestige pieces' probably wouldn't satisfy me if I had to sell the high end ones I now own to get it.

But that's just me.
Old 30 July 2022, 12:53 AM   #15
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Old 15 August 2022, 03:11 AM   #16
SilverGhost
"TRF" Member

I think a lot of it has to do with how much of a pain it is wear (high profile, weight, cost) vs. enjoyment you get out of it.

I have a large swath of price point, heaviness, and color that give me a good selection.

If you see yourself wearing a consolidated piece more than you have now, go for it.

If it's just a grail that you're nervous about taking out, keep the larger collection.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote