The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 April 2016, 12:32 PM   #1
bt304
"TRF" Member

PO2500 vs. SM300 Master Co-Axial

I'm thinking of selling my PO 2500 42mm and replacing it with a SM300 Master Co-Axial. I love the PO but something about the SM300 keeps drawing me in.

Anyone else with a PO 2500 who made this trade? I'm worried I'll regret letting the PO go but feel the SM300 might be the better overall, everyday watch especially in an office environment.

I have a similar thread over at watchuseek, just looking for thoughts/ideas. Thanks.
bt304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 12:45 PM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
This is a tough one! The Planet Ocean with the "Omega 2500" movement is a great watch. I owned one of them back in 2008 but ended up selling it a year later with zero regrets. The styling of that reissue Seamaster 300 is great!

Have you been to an AD to try on the Seamaster 300 yet? You should do so and take wrist shots along with a shot of the two watches side by side. This can be super helpful down the road in regards to making the choice.

For me it was a lot easier because the Planet Ocean 2500 didn't quite do it for me. If you really like this watch though don't rush. That being said though, life is short! You're in the states and can EASILY get another one via a domestic deal. For me in Canada it's so hard to find certain watches at any given time. Buying from USA presents challenges such as the crap exchange rate and import fees. Anyway, get some wrist shots!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 02:31 PM   #3
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
This is a tough one! The Planet Ocean with the "Omega 2500" movement is a great watch. I owned one of them back in 2008 but ended up selling it a year later with zero regrets. The styling of that reissue Seamaster 300 is great!

Have you been to an AD to try on the Seamaster 300 yet? You should do so and take wrist shots along with a shot of the two watches side by side. This can be super helpful down the road in regards to making the choice.

For me it was a lot easier because the Planet Ocean 2500 didn't quite do it for me. If you really like this watch though don't rush. That being said though, life is short! You're in the states and can EASILY get another one via a domestic deal. For me in Canada it's so hard to find certain watches at any given time. Buying from USA presents challenges such as the crap exchange rate and import fees. Anyway, get some wrist shots!
Agreed. I think it will wear smaller than the PO so best to try it on.
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 03:10 PM   #4
WJGESQ
Banned

The PO beats the 300 from my perspective any and all day long.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 12:03 AM   #5
bt304
"TRF" Member

I did try it on and it does wear a bit smaller. I like that actually, I have small wrist at about 6.5''. I'm tempted to pick up the 300MC and keep both. Seems crazy having 2 similar watches (well maybe not that crazy).
Old 7 April 2016, 03:06 AM   #6
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt304 View Post
I'm thinking of selling my PO 2500 42mm and replacing it with a SM300 Master Co-Axial. I love the PO but something about the SM300 keeps drawing me in.

Anyone else with a PO 2500 who made this trade? I'm worried I'll regret letting the PO go but feel the SM300 might be the better overall, everyday watch especially in an office environment.

I have a similar thread over at watchuseek, just looking for thoughts/ideas. Thanks.

I'd never make that trade, but I'm not enamored by the SM300. I am by the 2500 PO
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 07:11 AM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I did try it on and it does wear a bit smaller. I like that actually, I have small wrist at about 6.5''. I'm tempted to pick up the 300MC and keep both. Seems crazy having 2 similar watches (well maybe not that crazy).
If it's possible for you to save up and go get the Seamaster 300 that's the best choice then. It'll give you the time to wear both of the watches in rotation and see what appeals to you most. If both do you keep them. You'll likely take a huge depreciation hit if the SM300 is purchased from an AD (if you end up flipping it shortly after).

My wrists are a bit smaller too and certain watches depending on the design aren't as versatile. In your situation the SM300 would be the more versatile piece. The only solution might be to own both
Old 7 April 2016, 10:03 AM   #8
bt304
"TRF" Member

This would be the best way to know for sure. I'm considering grey market but not sure if I'd go that route.

To throw another possibility out there if I was to keep the PO – waiting for the updated Explorer. Probably shouldn't get ahead of myself. Too many watches, ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
If it's possible for you to save up and go get the Seamaster 300 that's the best choice then. It'll give you the time to wear both of the watches in rotation and see what appeals to you most. If both do you keep them. You'll likely take a huge depreciation hit if the SM300 is purchased from an AD (if you end up flipping it shortly after).

My wrists are a bit smaller too and certain watches depending on the design aren't as versatile. In your situation the SM300 would be the more versatile piece. The only solution might be to own both
Old 7 April 2016, 10:17 AM   #9
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

I used to feel the same way but started building what will be a much larger collection one day. Once it's from a trusted seller you'll be fine really. I've taken that bath on a new Omega (from an AD) that was later flipped and will never do that again. You should head over to the Rolex AD as well to see if that Explorer is more what you need for the next one.
Old 7 April 2016, 12:59 PM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This would be the best way to know for sure. I'm considering grey market but not sure if I'd go that route.

To throw another possibility out there if I was to keep the PO – waiting for the updated Explorer. Probably shouldn't get ahead of myself. Too many watches, ha.
I don't understand that last statement.

I'd get the SM and keep the PO. They're different enough, and you may find that you like having both.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 01:48 PM   #11
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I have the full size 2500 and feel it is a design that will endure.

That said, I think the smaller 42mm size is a more versatile size that will still be stylish when watch sizes shrink back down.

I like the new 300 but wish it had a Bakelite- looking bezel and the large protrusion for the Pearl at 12. But overall I like it. I may add one when they hit bottom price but for now, I'm happy with my planet ocean.

Ps: not a fan of ceramic po's at all. They look like a plastic model of a watch to me.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 11:46 PM   #12
bt304
"TRF" Member

Well I went back to the AD last night and tried the 300MC on again. Still love it, still want it but still not sure on replacing the PO.

I tried looking at it another way – if both were available when I got the PO which would I have chosen? Probably a slight nod to the 300MC but damn it's a close call. So yea this thought hasn't really helped.

Adding the 300MC and keeping the PO is making sense but I have my eye on the Explorer and 2 watches in one year is probably not a good idea and if I'm adding I'd like to diversify a bit (no Rolex at the moment).

So I'm back full circle. On the plus side this is fun, sometimes the chase is better than the catch. I'll keep telling myself that.
Old 8 April 2016, 12:45 AM   #13
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

The chase is half the fun--if not most of the fun. If you plan to keep the Omega PO, I would save up for the Explorer. It's a different watch, and would lend some diversity to your collection. Having said that, I already own the 300MC, and it's a wonderful watch. Heavy, but the bracelet keeps it balanced on your wrist. It's sporty, but also dressier than the PO at the same time because of the polished lugs and center links on the bracelet. And the accuracy is...ridiculous. Mine loses 0.2 to 0.3 seconds per day, and the maximum loss or gain has never been more than 1.7 seconds. Time will tell how reliable the 8400 calibre is, but for now color me impressed.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 05:11 AM   #14
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

they got so many different POs..

can u post a pic ? it will help the thread
Old 8 April 2016, 05:18 AM   #15
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
I'd go the other way saying the 300MC all day long.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 09:06 AM   #16
bt304
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
they got so many different POs..

can u post a pic ? it will help the thread
Here's a quick wrist shot...

It's basically like a new watch, just went for a full service last Summer. I had an issue with the crown, it was stripped. Brought it to the NYC boutique for a replacement and when I got it back it was randomly stopping. Since it was right after the crown replacement they offered to perform a full service free of charge. I sort of lucked out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PO-2.JPG (204.8 KB, 671 views)
Old 8 April 2016, 09:56 AM   #17
DTMwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I'm wearing.
My Two cents: Keep the PO; it's a classic. Good luck.
DTMwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 11:28 AM   #18
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Dang! how could you trade that beauty in? I agree with DTM - classic
Old 8 April 2016, 11:44 AM   #19
bt304
"TRF" Member

You guys have me thinking of keeping it and adding the 300MC, man this place is bad for my wallet!

I checked with my AD on trade-in value, 20% of retail. So no that won't be happening. I'm considering putting up for sale to see what kind of response I'd get. Maybe I'd let it go and move on to the 300MC if the price was right.

Funny, I thought after posting the decision would be easier. Nope.
Old 8 April 2016, 11:44 AM   #20
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
I agree. I was all set to love the 300 and found it totally underwhelming in person. The 21mm lug spacing and the design of the bracelet kill it for me. I bought a NOS 2500d instead. The 300 is a "better" watch for sure, but the 2500d is way better looking and more comfortable.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 11:56 AM   #21
bt304
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
I agree. I was all set to love the 300 and found it totally underwhelming in person. The 21mm lug spacing and the design of the bracelet kill it for me. I bought a NOS 2500d instead. The 300 is a "better" watch for sure, but the 2500d is way better looking and more comfortable.
I'm on the fence with the PCL bracelet but that could be brushed. I understand what you're saying about it being underwhelming in person. Compared to the PO the dial doesn't really "pop" but there's a certain sense of restraint with a classic/vintage feel I find appealing.

JeremyS' pic above has me wanting to buy it tomorrow, looks great.
Old 8 April 2016, 12:13 PM   #22
JP Chestnut
Banned

There's something about the 21mm lug spacing combined with the proportionately large center link that just look wrong to me. Even brushed, it will be weird. I'd like to see one on a strap.

The 300 is easily the most disappointing IRL watch of the last few years for me. I was ready to buy on the spot, and didn't even give it a second look.
Old 8 April 2016, 11:07 PM   #23
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You guys have me thinking of keeping it and adding the 300MC, man this place is bad for my wallet!

I checked with my AD on trade-in value, 20% of retail. So no that won't be happening. I'm considering putting up for sale to see what kind of response I'd get. Maybe I'd let it go and move on to the 300MC if the price was right.

Funny, I thought after posting the decision would be easier. Nope.
My guess is you won't have any trouble selling it. But might find it hard to reacquire later if you have seller's remorse.
Old 9 April 2016, 05:57 AM   #24
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's something about the 21mm lug spacing combined with the proportionately large center link that just look wrong to me. Even brushed, it will be weird. I'd like to see one on a strap.

The 300 is easily the most disappointing IRL watch of the last few years for me. I was ready to buy on the spot, and didn't even give it a second look.
I know what u r saying.

When I first saw it in pics, I started drooling over it.

But when I saw it at the AD for the first time on display, I was disappointed little bit. It didn't seem to have the "wow" factor. Didn't really pop.

But the longer u hold the watch.. The longer u stare at the dial.. The watch becomes more and more appealing. So much so, that I have one now in my collection.

First thing I did was put it on the strap, because I didn't care for the pcl bracelet initially.
But now I switched back, and actually enjoying the solid bracelet.

Pic below on a strap along with the speedy
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (91.6 KB, 632 views)
Old 9 April 2016, 06:07 AM   #25
JP Chestnut
Banned

For me it was how it wore. It managed to be both visually too big due to the lug/bracelet issue and too small due to the dial size. Just not for me I'm affraid. Great build quality. I'd try it on strap though.
Old 9 April 2016, 06:29 AM   #26
bt304
"TRF" Member

If I get it (pretty sure I will at this point) maybe the first thing I'll do is get the bracelet brushed. I think the boutique will do this, right?
Old 12 April 2016, 04:25 AM   #27
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I get it (pretty sure I will at this point) maybe the first thing I'll do is get the bracelet brushed. I think the boutique will do this, right?
I would suggest u leave the pcl for a while before u get it brushed. It may grow on u. It did for me. Lol

At 41mm, the size is spot on for me.

The vertical length, from lug to lug, seemed little long initially. But now I don't even notice it.

It's a great watch and amazing value, especially if u can buy new at little over $4k or used for less than $4k it has 8400 master co-axial !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.3 KB, 574 views)
Old 12 April 2016, 07:28 AM   #28
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I am an Omega fan, but I found nothing to love in the new 300 series, though I love the POs and the Bond series Seamaster with the wave dial. I think the 300 is a huge step back with the phony aged dial and the polished links----gives off a major Tag vibe.

Last edited by WJGESQ; 12 April 2016 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: typo
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2016, 08:34 AM   #29
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I am an Omega fan, but I found nothing to love in the new 300 series, though I love the POs and the Bond series Seamaster with the wave dial. I think the 300 is a huge step back with the phony aged dial and the polished links----gives off a major Tag vibe.
I can't believe that Omega let the 2254 disappear into the dustbin of history, while pushing the skeleton hand design. That's a problem with Omega - they abandon great designs as quickly as terrible ones.
Old 12 April 2016, 08:46 AM   #30
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Just picked up the SM300 MC and couldn't be happier. I will say I would have hated the watch on the bracelet though. It did absolutely nothing for me aesthetically and off it came the second the watch arrived. However, the watch is absolutely superb and extremely good looking (just IMO of course) on a strap. For now, I have it on a really nice German made Fluco Rubber strap while I'm waiting on a vintage brown leather one to be custom made.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote