The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 March 2011, 08:00 AM   #1
crhfish

Rolex Pie Pans

What years did Rolex have the pie pan dials? Are there any of these that are considered rare or unique. I really like the look and saw a nice one today at a local jeweler. I think this one was from 1961. Any help is appreciated.
crhfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
glocati
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3+16013
I know the 1600 ( as in 1600, 1601, 1603, etc) series DJs started in 59 and went through 1977. They all had pie pan dials. Some of the early ones had gilt writing and I would consider them somewhat rare. Some also had the big cigarette hands and matching hour markers that are fairly rare as well. They made them ( pie pans) for such a long production run that there are a ton of dial varieties out there. they definitely have a great classic/vintage look and feel to them.

The earlier DJs from the 50's ( 6600 series ) also sported pie pan dials, and many of them had VERY cool deco like hour markers.

The 1961 model you saw would have been an early 1600 series.

Here's a pic of my 1967, 1603 ( with a WG bezel from a 1601 currently installed)

You can usually find pie pan DJs very reasonably priced.

Good luck and have fun on your search if you decide to pursue one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omega 047.jpg (71.1 KB, 940 views)
glocati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Randy72379

Watch: 16014 SS
Greg...would you consider $2200 reasonable or is that too much for a TT 1601?

Last edited by Randy72379; 5 March 2011 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Randy72379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2011, 03:41 PM   #4
glocati
"TRF" Member

Hi Randy, It all depends on the condition in my opinion. That seems to be towards the upper end of what I know of the tu-tone market but by no means too high. If it's been recently serviced, case is thick, fairly tight bracelet, than I think that is a decent price, especially with the price of gold these days.

I take it you have your eye on one... Do share details.please . Jubilee? Dial Color?

Thanks, Greg
Old 5 March 2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Randy72379

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocati View Post
Hi Randy, It all depends on the condition in my opinion. That seems to be towards the upper end of what I know of the tu-tone market but by no means too high. If it's been recently serviced, case is thick, fairly tight bracelet, than I think that is a decent price, especially with the price of gold these days.

I take it you have your eye on one... Do share details.please . Jubilee? Dial Color?

Thanks, Greg
I have my eye on this one
http://www.capetownstore.com/Merchan...Category_Code=
Old 5 March 2011, 04:51 PM   #6
glocati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy72379 View Post
Looks like a really nice one. See if they can send some more pics. Definitely worth taking a closer look at. Keep us posted for sure .
Old 6 March 2011, 12:06 AM   #7
crhfish

Thanks for the replies. I am going back to look at this one today. They were very busy when I was in there yesterday and I did not have time. I have always loved the pie pan look in the Omega's. The one I saw was priced in the $1600 range if I was reading the upside down tag correctly.
Old 6 March 2011, 12:33 AM   #8
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird

Quote:
Greg...would you consider $2200 reasonable or is that too much for a TT 1601?
I've got a thunderbird from the 50's and a gold DJ from about 1966 that both have pie pans.

I think $2,200 is high. If you're talking about a watch that is this old, the bracelet could be in poor shape. If it is, you're really only getting a watch head.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2011, 08:55 AM   #9
crhfish

Well I went back for the pie-pan and they had another gently used Sub that I could not pass up. Got all the paperwork, etc. K serial number, its needs a cleaning which I am off to do right now. Originally sold in 2001, now its mine. $2900 plus tax which I thought was a great deal.

Old 6 March 2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Randy72379

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
I've got a thunderbird from the 50's and a gold DJ from about 1966 that both have pie pans.

I think $2,200 is high. If you're talking about a watch that is this old, the bracelet could be in poor shape. If it is, you're really only getting a watch head.
Thanks for the input Steve. Its all the more reason I'm going to call and ask questions. Other than asking about bracelet stretch, what else should I be asking about? I know from reading here in the forums that there's variations of the clasp and jubilee bracelet. Also if the watch has been restored back to original showroom condition does that affect the value?
Old 6 March 2011, 02:06 PM   #11
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Looked at the ad

Quote:
Thanks for the input Steve. Its all the more reason I'm going to call and ask questions. Other than asking about bracelet stretch, what else should I be asking about? I know from reading here in the forums that there's variations of the clasp and jubilee bracelet. Also if the watch has been restored back to original showroom condition does that affect the value?
I pulled up the Capetown ad. This is a nice looking watch. I would want to know when the last full service was done. If it was within the last two years, I would add as much as $500 to the value. The bracelet looks to be a D link version, which is a plus. If they say that the "stretch" isn't bad, that would be a big plus. A lot of the value of a Datejust is in that bracelet. If the bracelet is crappy when you buy it, you may want to replace it in a few years, and a decent, used, tt jubilee could easily run you $1,000.

The clasps were all bent metal things that are not as nice as the newest models. Not to worry, they're fine-- just not as good. I've got 50 year old one still in use.

As to the price, this price is OK and could be very nice depending on the service history and bracelet condition. One thing about a Rolex purchase for the watch you really like, it could easily outlive you. If you over pay by 33%, let's say, it will cost you about $25 per year for the next 30 years. That's really peanuts. If you save the same money but get a watch you aren't thrilled with-- you'll get to stare at it on your wrist everyday.
Old 6 March 2011, 02:06 PM   #12
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Looked at the ad

Quote:
I pulled up the Capetown ad. This is a nice looking watch. I would want to know when the last full service was done. If it was within the last two years, I would add as much as $500 to the value. The bracelet looks to be a D link version, which is a plus. If they say that the "stretch" isn't bad, that would be a big plus. A lot of the value of a Datejust is in that bracelet. If the bracelet is crappy when you buy it, you may want to replace it in a few years, and a decent, used, tt jubilee could easily run you $1,000.

The clasps were all bent metal things that are not as nice as the newest models. Not to worry, they're fine-- just not as good. I've got 50 year old one still in use.

As to the price, this price is OK and could be very nice depending on the service history and bracelet condition. One thing about a Rolex purchase for the watch you really like, it could easily outlive you. If you over pay by 33%, let's say, it will cost you about $25 per year for the next 30 years. That's really peanuts. If you save the same money but get a watch you aren't thrilled with-- you'll get to stare at it on your wrist everyday.
Old 6 March 2011, 11:31 PM   #13
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhfish View Post
Well I went back for the pie-pan and they had another gently used Sub that I could not pass up. Got all the paperwork, etc. K serial number, its needs a cleaning which I am off to do right now. Originally sold in 2001, now its mine. $2900 plus tax which I thought was a great deal.

$2,900 plus tax is a great deal.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 05:58 PM   #14
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhfish View Post

bargain, congratulations
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 02:59 PM   #15
enbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Just wanted to post my 1964 Datejust pie pan dial photo. I kinda like it!
enbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2015, 12:44 PM   #16
scotrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VintageAKs.OPs,DJs
Pie Pan Oyster Date

I'm with you Enbro. I like the rounded plexi and stretch 19mm rivet for comfort and the roulette date wheel on mine too!

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1962 Oyster Perpetual Date Watch.jpg (82.8 KB, 510 views)
scotrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2015, 01:46 AM   #17
seattleal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Gilt Subs
I like the pie-pan wide boy dials-

And the folded link jubilees-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140321_150019_842.jpg (98.7 KB, 461 views)
seattleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2015, 11:31 AM   #18
scotrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VintageAKs.OPs,DJs
That's a nice one Al! 1601-1603? Early mid 70's?

Regards,
Rick
scotrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2015, 03:16 PM   #19
seattleal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Gilt Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrick View Post
That's a nice one Al! 1601-1603? Early mid 70's?

Regards,
Rick
Thanks Rick - It's a 1601, but I put an engine turned bezel on it because I like that look. Case back is dated 1/70.
seattleal is offline   Reply With Quote