The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 5 October 2016, 09:59 PM   #31
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
Golden Tip: I recommend downloading an app called "Grab" it's similar to "Uber" only cheaper, much much cheaper.
You can choose if you'd like to take a Taxi or a car. Cars usually have a fixed rate which is quite fair. We only use the Cars. You can have one pick you up from the hotel and most times you'll find it cheaper and cleaner than the taxi meter.
Old 5 October 2016, 10:08 PM   #32
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
That is just awful.

Arguing with the wrong Thai can get you killed. Just FYI everybody.
I know. On even ground I'd probably punched that brat. But in Thailand, you as a foreigner have 0 rights. And they gang up on you quick.
Old 5 October 2016, 10:09 PM   #33
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
No worries -- I had a few unscrupulous cabbies myself during my last trip to Thailand.

I'm sticking to hotel car, subway/skytrain and old fashioned walking this time
What I'll do. Next time I'll have a Sheraton black car.
Old 5 October 2016, 10:24 PM   #34
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
I don't really know much about Bangkok other than they have the number 23 best restaurant in the world and number 1 in Asia, Gaggan. The chef/owner is a disciple of Ferran Adria of the former El Bulli who is considered to be one of the best chefs in history. The cuisine at Gaggan is modern Indian and supposed to be unbelievable. Probably very pricey though, not sure if that's what you're into.
Old 5 October 2016, 10:53 PM   #35
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Last time in BKK, our first Taxi driver from the airport refused to put on the meter (funny as the government's stand is that we foreigners should stand our ground on this) well, we jumped out took our luggage walked back to the Taxi stand (where they also tell you to make sure the driver puts the meter on) told them about the situation and said we want a meter taxi. Sure enough another Taxi, and I asked him outside the car "meter?" -Yes. Well once underway he started to negotiate. Even more expansive this time than the last. I told him, about the meter and he put it on. After a minute the meter was at 600Baht. Oh, you who have taken taxis in BKK, know it should perhaps have been 30.

OK, so I ask him what is this, he goes ballistic. Stops in the middle of the highway and is about to evict me, my wife and my mother (almost 70 years old). If it would have been me and my wife we would have exited and walked back. After trying to talk some reason with this man, he caved and started to drive again. We discussed the price, and he threatened us to dump us off in the ghettos beneath the highway. Fun guy! OK, so finally he agrees 700 baht. (Metered price about 400Baht) He then drove about 50-60km/h the whole way. Avoided the toll road. So it took us 2,5Hours! Imagine the stupidity. He lost close to 2 hours work time, just so he could punish us this way.

This and other similar experiences is putting me off. Sad.
Not quite standard but way too common.

I had one once from the airport where after setting off with the meter on he suddenly veers off the highway claiming to need to buy gas (this is CNG the taxi's all run on, not liquid petroleum and the taxi's all go to one or two big stations to get it). After driving through the slums below he comes to a halt on a railway level crossing and having flicked a (not so) secret kill switch lo and behold the engine won't start again. He's looking at me and intimating that I should get out and push, at which point he'd have driven off with all my luggage. Shrugged my shoulders, "Mai bpen rai" and sat back looking uninterested. Suddenly with the switch flipped on again he gets it going and we proceed to Silom on ground routes which took about 2 hours. Needless to say no tip!
Old 6 October 2016, 04:49 AM   #36
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sad to hear. Just grabbed a reservation for Sunday night

- "Is that a Thai number??"
-- "No, it's a Hong Kong number"
- "Uh, just please be on time then"
-- "Okay, I promise"
I'm very jealous, please raise a drink for me in salute of the venue and all the staff

Full story and good pics of the place here -

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/10/0...k-house-photos

Sold out and done the dirty on by the land owner for US$28 Million. Nothing gets in the way of that sort of deal in Thailand
Old 8 October 2016, 11:49 AM   #37
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Steve, you have to go for dinner at a restaurant called Eat Me. It's in Silom and just off Convent Road. We've been a few times now and it's awesome.

Trust me mate, you won't regret it

http://eatmerestaurant.com/
It's also an art gallery? My wife is sold
Old 8 October 2016, 09:45 PM   #38
Star Ferry
Banned

Sent from my SM-G9200 using Tapatalk
Old 8 October 2016, 10:01 PM   #39
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Looks tasty Steve

Quote:

Sent from my SM-G9200 using Tapatalk
Old 8 October 2016, 10:07 PM   #40
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Looks tasty Steve
Thanks abdullah and to Chadri for the recommendation
Old 8 October 2016, 11:34 PM   #41
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Looks good!

And... It's having me looking for tickets to Krabi.
Old 8 October 2016, 11:44 PM   #42
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Looks good!

Despite our past disagreements over minimim wage policy ... let me know when you go. First 3 rounds on me
Old 9 October 2016, 07:19 AM   #43
Israguard
"TRF" Member

I'll be in Bkk in Jan for my annual 2 weeks of fun with a friend.

I mean no disrespect to anyone... but I will never ever understand people who won't grab a Camry or Benz from the Aot limo stand in the airport for 1500 baht which is just under u$50.

I see people spend $15k on 1st class tickets wearing Rolexes... but they cheap out on a cab ride. I don't get it.

Taxi drivers all over the world rip people off. They do it in Montreal to tourists.. in Israel as well and so on. Thailand I always find gets a bad wrap.

The Thais are so nice.. but many of their people are taken advantage of daily. And this is especially true of the Women and Thailand's flourishing prostitution scene. I have seen with my own eyes guy's haggling with working girls over $5... I'm sorry folks.. this is shameful.
Try this in US or Europe?? lol I think not.

Thais are becoming resentful and frankly I don't blame them. People haggle constantly & at the end nothing left for them.

I was buying some jammies at a stall on sukhumvit one night.. and I found myself haggling.. then I stopped and realized I was arguing over a whopping $1 per jammie. All this while I am alone and staying at a 2 bedroom suite at one of Bkk' finest hotels. made no sense. I paid and walked away and made someone happy. So what "extra" did it cost me after two weeks?.. maybe an extra $50 for not haggling.

Enjoy Thailand.. an amazing place
Old 11 October 2016, 11:18 PM   #44
Jamiewabbit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea dweller
Israguard, thank you. You taught me something today. I will visit with a different mindset in Dec.
Old 12 October 2016, 12:18 AM   #45
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Despite our past disagreements over minimim wage policy ... let me know when you go. First 3 rounds on me
When are you in Krabi?
Old 13 October 2016, 11:06 PM   #46
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

The Big Event just happened, all bets are off.

I hope the OP is well out of The Kingdom by now!
Old 14 October 2016, 03:33 AM   #47
Israguard
"TRF" Member

Bangkok?

Very sad news the passing of His Majesty The King.. May he Rest In Peace. Truly a great man.
Old 14 October 2016, 07:41 AM   #48
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks good!

I've stopped looking for tickets to Krabi.
Old 14 October 2016, 06:10 PM   #49
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Quote:
Originally Posted by Israguard View Post
Very sad news the passing of His Majesty The King.. May he Rest In Peace. Truly a great man.
Sad news. May he Rest in Peace

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 14 October 2016, 06:32 PM   #50
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePrince View Post

Departed early Tuesday morning
Old 14 October 2016, 07:15 PM   #51
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Why? Some of us live here. It's not like the country is going to sink into chaos.

For those that are thinking about coming, maybe hold off for 30 days as a lot of entertainment based places are cancelling some things out of respect. The government has said basically no parties or celebratory activities for 30 days, so music events, concerts, and party activities in clubs are off. Shopping, restaurants, and most places are open. It's just a really sombre time for Thais as they basically lost their father.

If you do happen to come, please be respectful and respect Thai culture. Best to be very quiet and act like you are attending a wake as that is basically what is going on across the nation.
Old 14 October 2016, 07:31 PM   #52
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
Why? Some of us live here. It's not like the country is going to sink into chaos.

For those that are thinking about coming, maybe hold off for 30 days as a lot of entertainment based places are cancelling some things out of respect. The government has said basically no parties or celebratory activities for 30 days, so music events, concerts, and party activities in clubs are off. Shopping, restaurants, and most places are open. It's just a really sombre time for Thais as they basically lost their father.

If you do happen to come, please be respectful and respect Thai culture. Best to be very quiet and act like you are attending a wake as that is basically what is going on across the nation.
Yes if you live there then you have to get on with life, work etc, hope you're OK with yours

For tourists this is the worst possible time to be there.

The full repercussions and consequences of what's happened haven't even begun yet, you know what I mean, all my Thai friends certainly do and are not pretending otherwise while obviously not explicitly saying anything, and you know we can't talk about it due to LM and CC act.

Hoping for a good peaceful outcome for Thailand in all timeframes - short, medium and long-term
Old 14 October 2016, 07:38 PM   #53
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
Best to be very quiet and act like you are attending a wake as that is basically what is going on across the nation.
Was riding the BTS this afternoon. Although Thais were wearing black they were not always humble and quiet, some of them even were spotted laughing loudly in the BTS.

I do recommend being quiet and respectful anyways. Also not to discuss the situation in open.
Old 14 October 2016, 08:23 PM   #54
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Yes if you live there then you have to get on with life, work etc, hope you're OK with yours

For tourists this is the worst possible time to be there.

The full repercussions and consequences of what's happened haven't even begun yet, you know what I mean, all my Thai friends certainly do and are not pretending otherwise while obviously not explicitly saying anything, and you know we can't talk about it due to LM and CC act.

Hoping for a good peaceful outcome for Thailand in all timeframes - short, medium and long-term
IIRC, the military runs Thailand anyway, correct? The 2014 coup and subsequent constitutional changes solidified military control over the state.

Why are you concerned that a change in the figure head leader would cause a significant disruption in political control?
Closed Thread