The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 May 2015, 08:58 PM   #61
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Hublot may have some interesting models but they just don't sing to me, but I must admit they have done a big step since the beginning, they now make it seems, minute repeater models, and other complications but it's just not mine...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2015, 09:49 PM   #62
jdkrut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
I hear you. AP is far superior and obviously the collector's choice. However, sometimes Hublot is willing to manufacture some crazy pieces that I wish AP would manufacture, but which they probably never would. Or if they would, the pieces would cost $250,000.
jdkrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 12:55 AM   #63
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreambreaX View Post
Get the Hublot Ferrari. Its got the look and better design.

AP customer service are not as good as hublot.

When you buy AP, get ready for expensive service.
Given that you haven't established in any way that you actually own any luxury watches and have continuously refused to provide photos of the many watches you've claimed to own despite multiple requests and post only stock photos/photos swiped from websites, you're really in no position to make a judgement of that sort, which would require actual experience with their customer service departments and actual ownership of their watches.

Basically you just troll this forum and bash AP any chance you get.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 08:10 AM   #64
jdkrut
"TRF" Member

Looks like the votes are overwhelmingly in favor of the AP.
Old 29 May 2015, 08:16 AM   #65
jdkrut
"TRF" Member

By the way, I have sent a watch to AP Service Center in Clearwater and they have been great to work with. I cannot comment on Hublot as I have not sent it in for service yet.
Old 29 May 2015, 08:42 AM   #66
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkrut View Post
I hear you. AP is far superior and obviously the collector's choice. However, sometimes Hublot is willing to manufacture some crazy pieces that I wish AP would manufacture, but which they probably never would. Or if they would, the pieces would cost $250,000.
Well Hublot does have a 1.6 million dollar watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Given that you haven't established in any way that you actually own any luxury watches and have continuously refused to provide photos of the many watches you've claimed to own despite multiple requests and post only stock photos/photos swiped from websites, you're really in no position to make a judgement of that sort, which would require actual experience with their customer service departments and actual ownership of their watches.

Basically you just troll this forum and bash AP any chance you get.
Well with a name like he has; DreambreaX, you expect that he's gonna do some bashing right? About his impossibility to post real pics of his supposedly owned watches yeah that is quite suspicious, but I'm sure that some people think that in order to post here you have to make believe that you actually own high end pieces, I prefer a guy posting on the Patek/AP section who has a 300 dollar Seiko than a guy making us believe he has 200K watches when it's not the case, that's just ridiculous

Quote:
Looks like the votes are overwhelmingly in favor of the AP.
Hum, dunno, you think so?

Quote:
By the way, I have sent a watch to AP Service Center in Clearwater and they have been great to work with. I cannot comment on Hublot as I have not sent it in for service yet.
AP seems to have a good after service department, Patek are also great apart the fact that you should prepare yourself to not see your watch for at least 6 months, and that is it seems, the average time for a simple movement service, wonder how many years they take to service a 5208P? 4 years maybe It more or less makes me laugh at the moment but my 5712 is from 2012 so still 2 more years to go and if they haven't hired a few dozen watch makers for the servicing of their pieces I think I will be disgusted to be without my watch for such a long period of time, might make me think twice before getting another piece from Patek, price wise they seem to be quite reasonable.

Anyone know the delays for a regular service at RM? Let's say for example for the RM011 which seems to be one of the favorite ones?
Old 29 May 2015, 09:24 AM   #67
jdkrut
"TRF" Member

Good points, lapince.
Old 29 May 2015, 09:49 AM   #68
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Well with a name like he has; DreambreaX, you expect that he's gonna do some bashing right? About his impossibility to post real pics of his supposedly owned watches yeah that is quite suspicious, but I'm sure that some people think that in order to post here you have to make believe that you actually own high end pieces, I prefer a guy posting on the Patek/AP section who has a 300 dollar Seiko than a guy making us believe he has 200K watches when it's not the case, that's just ridiculous n
I remember a few years back there was a guy who had everyone in an automotive forum convinced that he had a Lamborghini, posted lots of pics of his car, his house, etc., was a really respected member of the community....then one day a guy shows up and it turns out that the car, and the house, and the pictures, were all his, the guy had been conning everyone there for years.

Pretty widespread Internet phenom, this trolling...no idea what these folks get out of it, pretty strange stuff.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 09:54 AM   #69
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
I remember a few years back there was a guy who had everyone in an automotive forum convinced that he had a Lamborghini, posted lots of pics of his car, his house, etc., was a really respected member of the community....then one day a guy shows up and it turns out that the car, and the house, and the pictures, were all his, the guy had been conning everyone there for years.

Pretty widespread Internet phenom, this trolling...no idea what these folks get out of it, pretty strange stuff.
Excellent, did the "first owner" continue posting after having been uncovered, did he try to come up with an explanation or excuse or did he vanish?

When I was in university in Paris I was 22 and bought myself a Harley Davidson, a Sporster 883, and there was a guy who had a Yamaha 125, after lunch I come by my bike and this guy was talking with 2 friends of mine and had told them that his bike was faster than mine, my friends tell me this and I tell him "your 125 goes faster than my HD? Mine goes 170km per hour", "yeah but mine was specially prepared by a garage so it goes 180km per hour", he had a "cross model" not the sport type, because there are some 125 sport type which if prepared can reach 190, but clearly not his, his if prepared could reach 130km per hour, maybe 140 but in no case more than that, we had a good laugh because he was insisting about it and didn't want to admit his lie, so I proposed him to go on the highway to see which was the fastest, needless to say we never went

So DreambreaX can you please post some real pics of your watches and not found on the net? It would get you the respect of the other members here, if not just delete your account here, open a new one with your real watch or watches, again no shame posting here if you have a 300 dollar watch, you will get much more respect than making us believe that you have high end watches when everything makes us believe it's not the case, just saying...
Old 29 May 2015, 10:11 AM   #70
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I have a lot of respect for Mr Biver and think his contribution to the industry is immense. I think Hublot are starting to do some interesting things and I applaud their efforts even if perhaps some appear misguided. As to Hublot PP RM JLC IWC and AP servicing based on my actual experiences with multiple watches over many years would be RM best then JLC then Hublot then by a hair AP then PP and finally IWC. Odd that JLC and IWC service experience for me is so different as you would assume common standards for the 2 companies.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 10:27 AM   #71
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
[QUOTEs=conkers;5872201]I have a lot of respect for Mr Biver and think his contribution to the industry is immense. I think Hublot are starting to do some interesting things and I applaud their efforts even if perhaps some appear misguided. As to Hublot PP RM JLC IWC and AP servicing based on my actual experiences with multiple watches over many years would be RM best then JLC then Hublot then by a hair AP then PP and finally IWC. Odd that JLC and IWC service experience for me is so different as you would assume common standards for the 2 companies.[/QUOTE]

I think one caveat is that this varies by region. IWC was by far the worst experience I have had with service, whereas AP has always been great. Surprisingly, Panerai has been good to me as well, but I have heard horror stories on that one. Rolex NYC, meh I could take or leave them. Don't have experience with the others.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 10:33 AM   #72
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post

I think one caveat is that this varies by region. IWC was by far the worst experience I have had with service, whereas AP has always been great. Surprisingly, Panerai has been good to me as well, but I have heard horror stories on that one. Rolex NYC, meh I could take or leave them. Don't have experience with the others.
Completely agree. Don't know about HK AP service, but here in the US three weeks your watch is back typically and in perfect condition.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 10:34 AM   #73
conkers
"TRF" Member

It is a fair point but IWC always seems to be at the bottom of the pile around the world!
Old 29 May 2015, 10:35 AM   #74
conkers
"TRF" Member

AP in HK is shockingly slow. I believe SG much better.
Old 29 May 2015, 10:35 AM   #75
lapince
"TRF" Member

I think one caveat is that this varies by region. IWC was by far the worst experience I have had with service, whereas AP has always been great. Surprisingly, Panerai has been good to me as well, but I have heard horror stories on that one. Rolex NYC, meh I could take or leave them. Don't have experience with the others.[/QUOTE]

Yes I also have heard horror stories about Panerai service, watches coming back with a heavy scratch or bump, broken parts on the movement when everything was fine with it in the first place, have yet to try Patek, 2 more years to go, but I really hope they will be hiring dozens of watchmakers to service their watches by then, 6 months minimum for a regular service on a time/date only watch is outrageous, for such a high end reputable brand like Patek this is kind of unacceptable...
Old 29 May 2015, 10:37 AM   #76
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Completely agree. Don't know about HK AP service, but here in the US three weeks your watch is back typically and in perfect condition.
WOW 3 weeks is really great, can't believe the Patek delays, or maybe it's a marketing strategy to make you buy more than one watch from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
AP in HK is shockingly slow. I believe SG much better.
Roger what is "shockingly slow"? Can't be worse than Patek...
Old 29 May 2015, 12:34 PM   #77
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
I have a lot of respect for Mr Biver and think his contribution to the industry is immense. I think Hublot are starting to do some interesting things and I applaud their efforts even if perhaps some appear misguided. As to Hublot PP RM JLC IWC and AP servicing based on my actual experiences with multiple watches over many years would be RM best then JLC then Hublot then by a hair AP then PP and finally IWC. Odd that JLC and IWC service experience for me is so different as you would assume common standards for the 2 companies.
It's refreshing to see a collector of your level make a reasonable comment about a brand that is, generally within the WIS circle, very unfairly judged. The bandwagon effect is strong on TRF. It's disappointing, really.

Kudos to you.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 12:57 PM   #78
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
It's refreshing to see a collector of your level make a reasonable comment about a brand that is, generally within the WIS circle, very unfairly judged. The bandwagon effect is strong on TRF. It's disappointing, really.

Kudos to you.
Well Roger isn't the only one to have said something positive about Hublot, at the beginning of this page I posted:

"Hublot may have some interesting models but they just don't sing to me, but I must admit they have done a big step since the beginning, they now make it seems, minute repeater models, and other complications but it's just not mine…"

But of course I am far from being a collector of Roger's level, I have some negative feelings about Hublot for things that for me are taken from AP, PP and IWC, but I must admit that is just design wise, and that movement wise, if they are making them in-house, they made enormous steps since their beginnings when you see that they make very complicated ones like minute repeaters, in fact I kinda like their models except for their Big Bang and King Power lines which I really don't like, for the spirit of big bang line I am neutral, don't like but don't dislike either, the MP line is clearly quite innovative but not really my cup of tea, the classic fusion line does have some skeleton models that I quite like, the tourbillon and minute repeater, of course I don't know the price of these models but I suppose more than 6 figures which means that for that price I would go for a RM piece instead, so basically some classic fusion models are very nice, but for skeleton pieces I still prefer AP and RM to Hublot.

Even if most TRF members don't like the brand, I don't think anyone can say honestly that what they make is crap quality wise, it's mostly design wise IMO that collectors don't like the brand very much, in my case also the fact of having lived 8 years in Odessa Ukraine where there was a lot people with real or fake Hublot watches kind of got on my nerves, funny as I never once saw a Rolex sub there but Hublot watches by the dozens, there were a few shops selling them, replicas, in the city center
Old 29 May 2015, 04:30 PM   #79
Archangellight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post

In my taste, that is very beautiful watch, I like the skeleton. I have it and its very very quality watch. When I wear it, many people asking what watch is it and they think its incredibly expensive.
Archangellight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 04:39 PM   #80
Archangellight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thee Ferrari looks 100x better than the Rubberclad. I'd dump the AP based on looks alone.

If this the comparison, I agree. Ferrari have the unique skeleton dial, future design. I like the horse at 9 as well.

Rubberclad is just looks more classic and standard watch. also I dont like the rubber chrono pusher and closed caseback.
Old 29 May 2015, 10:15 PM   #81
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The bandwagon effect is strong on TRF. It's disappointing, really.

Kudos to you.
No bandwagon for me--I stand by my original feelings--I don't like them period. I don't like the way they look, I don't like the way they blatantly copy other watch designs, ultra high discounts=deplorable resale, I don't like unico and I could go on and on.

Can I appreciate them, sure. Do I like or want one--never.

The question was simple: AP or Hublot. I answered.

Some of us (me) might really not like the brand or the watch and I gave my reason(s).

Old 29 May 2015, 11:19 PM   #82
el1125
Banned

Quote:
No bandwagon for me--I stand by my original feelings--I don't like them period. I don't like the way they look, I don't like the way they blatantly copy other watch designs, ultra high discounts=deplorable resale, I don't like unico and I could go on and on.

Can I appreciate them, sure. Do I like or want one--never.

The question was simple: AP or Hublot. I answered.

Some of us (me) might really not like the brand or the watch and I gave my reason(s).

Agree. Also am not a fan of a watch company being owned by a handbag company with no history in horology.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 11:35 PM   #83
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
Agree. Also am not a fan of a watch company being owned by a handbag company with no history in horology.
Good catch Elliot...add that to my list as well...wait is that a bandwagon
Old 30 May 2015, 12:15 AM   #84
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Good catch Elliot...add that to my list as well...wait is that a bandwagon

How about a watch company that copies (literally) the design of the Valjoux 7750 and then calls it an in-house movement!

Long before I found TRF (and the bandwagon), before I really had any decent watches, I would see the Hublot Big Bang du jour advertised in the WSJ pretty much every day. I knew nothing about watches (still know very little), I just never cared for them. Not hating, I just don't care and don't think much about the brand at all.

Personally, I think this thread was trolling from the beginning. Most of these AP v Hublot threads seem to be started to try and manufacture some controversy. There is none as there is simply no comparison.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2015, 12:44 AM   #85
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I don't see the controversy. Buy what you like and be happy. Nobody can really help you make that choice.

As per comparing the brands in terms of technical achievement, history, design values and so on ... well that is a different story.
Old 30 May 2015, 01:11 AM   #86
jdkrut
"TRF" Member

SMD, this thread was NOT trolling. I was just seeking some advice. Are you saying that the Unico is really just a copy of the Valjoux 7750?
Old 30 May 2015, 01:13 AM   #87
jdkrut
"TRF" Member

Let's remember, these are just watches. Deciding on whether you prefer an AP to a Hublot is not really a matter of world peace.
Old 30 May 2015, 02:09 AM   #88
DreambreaX
Banned

Instead of judging the brand, lets judge by its model.

If you compare rubberclad and ferrari, i would say ferrari.

If you compare the schumi and old big bang, i would say schumi.
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2015, 02:15 AM   #89
Archangellight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
Lol, am i the one who dont care history? I just buy watch that i like the design and model. Hahaha
Old 30 May 2015, 02:23 AM   #90
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
My opinion is hublot is going to the right direction, some of their collection are looking good, very comfortable to wear. But still need along way to go to catch the AP brand.
Keep 1 Hublot watch ? Yes ... but wont have 2 in my collection.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote