The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 December 2021, 12:41 AM   #1
tquieng
"TRF" Member

Daytona vs Omega moon watch

I know Daytona is nice but the price has gone to the moon- but compared to Omega moon watch , the history of Omega going to the moon - this is hard to beat and yet Omega is still fairly reasonable price. A watch that went to the moon is the coolest thing in history of watches. Anyone feels the same? Rolex is very good with marketing.
tquieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 12:45 AM   #2
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

My only non Rolex luxury watch is my Moonwatch. It is the only modern Omega that appeals to me. I love the Daytona, but not at market prices. Also, the Daytona on me wears small.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 12:49 AM   #3
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
Speedmaster over a Daytona anyday.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 07:40 AM   #4
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3Z View Post
Speedmaster over a Daytona anyday.
Same for me.
Old 26 December 2021, 12:51 AM   #5
karleone
"TRF" Member

Daytona all the way! Speedy is nice but not the same league!
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 12:57 AM   #6
MiamiBoy
"TRF" Member

The difference is an appreciating asset versus a depreciating asset.
MiamiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 10:39 AM   #7
mito818
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBoy View Post
Its people like you that make me hate Rolex
mito818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 10:51 AM   #8
shwingus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not if you can get your hands on any of the snoopy variants.
shwingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 12:42 PM   #9
ProCoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 white index
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwingus View Post
Not if you can get your hands on any of the snoopy variants.
Or the Mitsukoshi release...
ProCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 08:15 PM   #10
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
You’re buying a watch not an asset, if you just buy Rolex because they are worth more tomorrow than today then I have news for you, my Speedy is worth more today than it was yesterday.

No one can buy the overhyped Daytona from an AD so people who don’t want to pay the over inflated prices buying from a grey dealer are buying other watches, the Speedmaster, Zenith El Primaro’s are just some of the watches getting more attention.

This Rolex or nothing approach to buying watches is bonkers buy hey ho, if you’re waiting in the ever increasing Rolex queue then that’s fine you’re leaving opportunities for myself and others to buy brilliant watches from other brands that will last a lifetime or more.

So thank you very much, your continued support for Rolex and nothing else is greatly appreciated by those of us who can see beyond the hype.

Have a great 2022.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 08:32 PM   #11
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
You’re buying a watch not an asset, if you just buy Rolex because they are worth more tomorrow than today then I have news for you, my Speedy is worth more today than it was yesterday.

No one can buy the overhyped Daytona from an AD so people who don’t want to pay the over inflated prices buying from a grey dealer are buying other watches, the Speedmaster, Zenith El Primaro’s are just some of the watches getting more attention.

This Rolex or nothing approach to buying watches is bonkers buy hey ho, if you’re waiting in the ever increasing Rolex queue then that’s fine you’re leaving opportunities for myself and others to buy brilliant watches from other brands that will last a lifetime or more.

So thank you very much, your continued support for Rolex and nothing else is greatly appreciated by those of us who can see beyond the hype.

Have a great 2022.

Well said!
Old 27 December 2021, 03:15 AM   #12
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

Have a great 2022.

Agree. Also, all these “sweet gains” and theoretical price appreciation are completely irrelevant unless you sell, which I’m sure 99% of Daytona owners aren’t doing.
logo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 12:58 AM   #13
TM9
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster pro was my first watch. I love it.
TM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 01:01 AM   #14
SaintMickey
Banned

LOL Everyone should own a Speedmaster Moonwatch but it is not better or worse than a Daytona. It is a BMW 3 Series and the Daytona is a F1 car.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:38 AM   #15
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
LOL Everyone should own a Speedmaster Moonwatch but it is not better or worse than a Daytona. It is a BMW 3 Series and the Daytona is a F1 car.
More like the Daytona is a Range Rover and the Speedy a Land Cruiser. Back in the day, both were equally purpose-built, rugged and capable. But today's Range Rover bears little resemblance to its ancestors in terms of its intended audience and purpose. The Land Cruiser, while upmarket compared to the originals, still has a rugged element that the Range Rover lacks.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:58 AM   #16
ProCoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 white index
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
More like the Daytona is a Range Rover and the Speedy a Land Cruiser. Back in the day, both were equally purpose-built, rugged and capable. But today's Range Rover bears little resemblance to its ancestors in terms of its intended audience and purpose. The Land Cruiser, while upmarket compared to the originals, still has a rugged element that the Range Rover lacks.
^^This^^

Both...
ProCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 02:33 AM   #17
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Nailed it with this analogy.
Old 26 December 2021, 01:04 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tquieng View Post
I know Daytona is nice but the price has gone to the moon- but compared to Omega moon watch , the history of Omega going to the moon - this is hard to beat and yet Omega is still fairly reasonable price. A watch that went to the moon is the coolest thing in history of watches. Anyone feels the same? Rolex is very good with marketing.
Although the Daytona has a movement that I would rate in the top 5 ever produced to date. And today it must be one of the most hyped Rolex watches but the hype surrounding the Daytona as today many buy the hype just to wear it. As for the Omega yes it too has a fine movement but less hype but only Buzz and Armstrong are the only people to say what the first watch on the moon was. IMO it was most likely a speedy with the Cal 321,there were other readings that a Waltham and a Rolex GMT were used as a back up.But everything I have read my only conclusion is that the Omega Speedmaster had the Cal 321 movement on the lunar landing based on the Lemania 27CHRO-C12 and the only true moon watch.

And its documented that Jack Swigert's wore a Rolex GMT-Master in the main lunar orbit ship, plus there was some kind of Bulova watch/clock somewhere in the spacecraft, but the claim that a Bulova time piece was on the Moon IMHO is little more than pure marketing by them. What I have read Aldrin's speedmaster was the first on the lunar surface, so its logical that he could have worn the same watch he had issued for the Gemini X11, IMO possibly a 1966 speedy when they first put professional on dial REF ST105012, perhaps the later 1968 ST 145.012 model was left in the ship as a back up timer for computer. But one of the most important things on board the Apollo lunar mission were the mechanical watches no matter what the brand.

Speedmaster's relationship with outer space,began when they went to Corrigans shop a Texas dealer in 1961.And the NASA buyer bought 5 different brands of chronographs and some failed the NASA test, the Omega Speedmaster was passed mainly IMHO because it was manual wind. NASA tested a number of other Speedmasters in the 1960s prior to Gemini Apollo flight. All these watches were before they changed to the Cal 861 movement, NASA bought another large quantity of Speedmasters in the later 60s,and in 1966 Omega added the word Professional to the speedy. It has been said that Neil Armstrong,had a problem with his watch,and did not wear one on the moons surface. I believe Aldrin's watch was lost or most probably stolen in transit somewhere after the mission.But lets remember this fact today, your average smart phone or home computer is several hundred times more powerful than the one used on the moon mission so a simple mechanical watch was most important.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 01:19 AM   #19
huba01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Although the Daytona has a movement that I would rate in the top 5 ever produced to date. And today it must be one of the most hyped Rolex watches but the hype surrounding the Daytona as today many buy the hype just to wear it. As for the Omega yes it too has a fine movement but less hype but only Buzz and Armstrong are the only people to say what the first watch on the moon was. IMO it was most likely a speedy with the Cal 321,there were other readings that a Waltham and a Rolex GMT were used as a back up.But everything I have read my only conclusion is that the Omega Speedmaster had the Cal 321 movement on the lunar landing based on the Lemania 27CHRO-C12 and the only true moon watch.

And its documented that Jack Swigert's wore a Rolex GMT-Master in the main lunar orbit ship, plus there was some kind of Bulova watch/clock somewhere in the spacecraft, but the claim that a Bulova time piece was on the Moon IMHO is little more than pure marketing by them. What I have read Aldrin's speedmaster was the first on the lunar surface, so its logical that he could have worn the same watch he had issued for the Gemini X11, IMO possibly a 1966 speedy when they first put professional on dial REF ST105012, perhaps the later 1968 ST 145.012 model was left in the ship as a back up timer for computer. But one of the most important things on board the Apollo lunar mission were the mechanical watches no matter what the brand.

Speedmaster's relationship with outer space,began when they went to Corrigans shop a Texas dealer in 1961.And the NASA buyer bought 5 different brands of chronographs and some failed the NASA test, the Omega Speedmaster was passed mainly IMHO because it was manual wind. NASA tested a number of other Speedmasters in the 1960s prior to Gemini Apollo flight. All these watches were before they changed to the Cal 861 movement, NASA bought another large quantity of Speedmasters in the later 60s,and in 1966 Omega added the word Professional to the speedy. It has been said that Neil Armstrong,had a problem with his watch,and did not wear one on the moons surface. I believe Aldrin's watch was lost or most probably stolen in transit somewhere after the mission.But lets remember this fact today, your average smart phone or home computer is several hundred times more powerful than the one used on the moon mission so a simple mechanical watch was most important.
Great read, thanks for sharing
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 06:38 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by huba01 View Post
Great read, thanks for sharing
Thank you much appreciated but knowledge and information is far down the list of priorities on forum now.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 May 2024, 04:25 AM   #21
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you much appreciated but knowledge and information is far down the list of priorities on forum now.
second this- great information posted.
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:16 PM   #22
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:

Outstanding post, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:56 PM   #23
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

A great movement however I would be interested in how many Daytona’s do we think have never had the chronograph pusher pushed? You need to faff about unscrewing it and have the eyes of a Falcon to see read it.
As you say hype has taken over. For me, the speedmaster and the submariner are the most iconic watches ever made.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 11:00 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
A great movement however I would be interested in how many Daytona’s do we think have never had the chronograph pusher pushed? You need to faff about unscrewing it and have the eyes of a Falcon to see read it.
As you say hype has taken over. For me, the speedmaster and the submariner are the most iconic watches ever made.

Well even not a huge fan of the modern Daytona you could leave the pushers unscrewed as they have nothing whatsoever to do with any W/R. As there main and only function is to stop activating the chrono function accidentally.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 May 2024, 04:21 AM   #25
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I heard Aldrin said he had a 'break in' at his home when asked for the watch back by NASA. If this wathc were to be found; we would know for sure. The first watch on the moon.
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 09:17 AM   #26
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtalk View Post
I heard Aldrin said he had a 'break in' at his home when asked for the watch back by NASA. If this wathc were to be found; we would know for sure. The first watch on the moon.
Incorrect. The watch was lost when it was mailed to the National Air and Space Museum. The package never arrived.
Old 20 May 2024, 09:14 AM   #27
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Quote:
Although the Daytona has a movement that I would rate in the top 5 ever produced to date. And today it must be one of the most hyped Rolex watches but the hype surrounding the Daytona as today many buy the hype just to wear it. As for the Omega yes it too has a fine movement but less hype but only Buzz and Armstrong are the only people to say what the first watch on the moon was. IMO it was most likely a speedy with the Cal 321, there were other readings that a Waltham and a Rolex GMT were used as a back up.But everything I have read my only conclusion is that the Omega Speedmaster had the Cal 321 movement on the lunar landing based on the Lemania 27CHRO-C12 and the only true moon watch.

I don't know if PADI will see this, as his comment was from 2.5 years ago, but let me set the record straight. I have known Buzz for nearly 25 years and, in May 2005, I sat down with him to discuss this topic with him and lay the matter to rest. Buzz handled my 105.003-65 "Ed White" Speedy for comparison and we discussed the watch he wore on the Moon. At that time, Chuck Maddox had written a very scholarly article on "Which watch was the first to be worn on the Moon?" which ended with "The only person that knows for sure is Buzz Aldrin, and nobody has ever asked him." So, when I was on a trip with Buzz, I brought my old Speedy and I asked him.

Among the takeaways:

1. Buzz started the conversation by saying "You know, nobody has ever asked me that question."

2. Buzz specifically said his watch was different from the "Ed White" Speedy because his had crown guards and "more writing on the dial," i.e. the word "PROFESSIONAL."

3. Buzz told me he and Neil decided to leave Neil's watch in the lunar module because the lunar module's computer was unreliable and they needed a mechanical time piece to safely leave the Moon. They did not know for sure what the lunar environment would do to their watches, and they were unwilling to take the chance that both of their watches would be destroyed on the lunar surface, so they left Neil's watch inside when they went outside.

4. Buzz specifically said he wore the same watch on Gemini XII in November 1966 that he wore on Apollo 11 in July 1969. Based on this and the other information he gave me, the watch could only have been a 105.012 Speedy, probably a 105.012-66.

After I had this conversation with Buzz, I immediately purchased a 105.012-66 Speedy and then I emailed Chuck Maddox with the new information I had learned by asking Buzz.
Old 20 May 2024, 11:23 AM   #28
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend View Post
I don't know if PADI will see this, as his comment was from 2.5 years ago, but let me set the record straight. I have known Buzz for nearly 25 years and, in May 2005, I sat down with him to discuss this topic with him and lay the matter to rest. Buzz handled my 105.003-65 "Ed White" Speedy for comparison and we discussed the watch he wore on the Moon. At that time, Chuck Maddox had written a very scholarly article on "Which watch was the first to be worn on the Moon?" which ended with "The only person that knows for sure is Buzz Aldrin, and nobody has ever asked him." So, when I was on a trip with Buzz, I brought my old Speedy and I asked him.

Among the takeaways:

1. Buzz started the conversation by saying "You know, nobody has ever asked me that question."

2. Buzz specifically said his watch was different from the "Ed White" Speedy because his had crown guards and "more writing on the dial," i.e. the word "PROFESSIONAL."

3. Buzz told me he and Neil decided to leave Neil's watch in the lunar module because the lunar module's computer was unreliable and they needed a mechanical time piece to safely leave the Moon. They did not know for sure what the lunar environment would do to their watches, and they were unwilling to take the chance that both of their watches would be destroyed on the lunar surface, so they left Neil's watch inside when they went outside.

4. Buzz specifically said he wore the same watch on Gemini XII in November 1966 that he wore on Apollo 11 in July 1969. Based on this and the other information he gave me, the watch could only have been a 105.012 Speedy, probably a 105.012-66.

After I had this conversation with Buzz, I immediately purchased a 105.012-66 Speedy and then I emailed Chuck Maddox with the new information I had learned by asking Buzz.
Amazing post!
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 12:56 PM   #29
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:

Among the takeaways:

Epic

Thanks for sharing

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 08:52 PM   #30
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:

Among the takeaways:

Thanks for sharing
INC is offline   Reply With Quote