The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2012, 01:21 PM   #1
lavaman
Banned

Watch: what happens next
Dad (some thoughts)

(1)If you are a single dad, EVERY woman will assume you are married, or have some other female in your life doing the work. Whenever something happens, it will take the school at least 6 months to stop asking for your wife. Most all women will assume you are incompetent. Country music and Lifetime television love this, as does Hollywood and Madison Avenue.

(2) I would not wish single parenthood upon anyone. But you will learn that you can float, you can rise. Because drowning is just lame. Oddly, being a single parent is what got me through law school. Anyone who ever said the Peace Corps is the toughest job you will ever love was never a single parent.

(3) On the other hand, I have little patience for Dads who can't wipe their kid's tail.

(4) NOTHING but NOTHING hurts like a child who cries for their other (deceased) parent. After 10 years of emergency services work (paramedic, then cop, then firefighter), I always thought I could hold my own. But watching my son's tears fall is like getting a rectal exam with God's own Tesla coil. Please, if you are more worried about your lifestyle and getting notches on your bedpost, or getting high or stupid, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't breed.

(5) Children know what fair is. They are all legal scholars. And they are ALWAYS watching. Does that scare me? Yea it does.

(6) I am so domestic now it makes me sick. Iron Man becomes Ironman becomes Iron Man again. I mow the lawn now, and obsess over mulch beds.

(7) Do I miss my former life of chasing skirts and working out 40 hours a week? Sometimes. It's not Hallmark and roses. But it's a mission. And it is without end. Raising a son. Trying to keep him out of the minefields. Being amazed when he stands up when I do because the Judge calls my name and I think "What? I didn't tell him to do that!". And he walks right next to me, approaching the bench. All balls, no fear. And now he wants to get up on Sundays and watch F1 with me. My kid is 7 and he knows words in Hawaiian, he knows words in Mandarin and Spanish, he knows who Senna is and Celia Cruz and that there isnt any air on the Moon.

(8) I have no damn clue what I am doing. I see all the little ways I fail him every day. I can't cook worth a damn, but he suffers through it anyway. And yea, no lie, he is probably missing out by not having a step mom, as I have essentially shut down my personal life since I got back custody a couple of years ago. Am I doing the right thing? I don't know. I hope he (He?) will be kind when he judges me. Yea, I am tough on him. It's a leap of faith, any parenting, isnt it? It's like building a submarine over the phone.

(9) You are gonna mess up. My son teaches me to be fearless. Because he is man enough to forgive me. The rest of us "grownups" have to re-learn that.

(10)Yea, when he goes off to college I am off to China for a few weeks. He'll know how to get ahold of me.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there, past, present, and those who don't even know they've signed up yet.

-The Lavaman
lavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 01:36 PM   #2
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610

Well said. Being a dad is the most difficult, yet most rewarding job I can think of. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Here's to you Dad.
Old 13 June 2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Lisa
"TRF" Member

You're doing the right thing. I wish there were more dads like you.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
You're doing the right thing. I wish there were more dads like you.

I went through a similar situation, nothing is more gratifying then watching your
child succeed and become a grown women with a heart of gold knowing that you did you best. Watching her from 350 miles away, reading letters from the university president saying she's doing great, and maintains a 3.85 GPA.

Makes all the sacrfices worth it.

Yes, it's great to be a dad!!
Old 13 June 2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Linzjnr
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: My bank balance!
Well said my friend, it's a difficult job but one that is SO important and special. You are doing well
Old 13 June 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Esexx
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF All Day
Very well said.

I relate to everything you said( except for the death part). I am 2 years divorced and things are good, but learning a lot. Kinda sucks learning for ones own 4 year old about the spouses affair. But hey, who said life was fair anyways.

I was always the person who did the daily cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. But not all. 50/50 is good so I do get to spend a lot of time with my boys.

Single parenting is not the greatest, but we do what has to be done. I have learned to forgive and forget and I don't dwell in the past, but look to the future. Thanks to many people here for getting me through tough times.

Happy Fathers day to you Lavaman and all other TRF dads and soon to be dads.

Old 13 June 2012, 03:35 PM   #7
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
My parents are still happily married and both do a great job in their own ways. I love both of them and I've always felt that my father was a very good one, I have a lot of respect and admiration for that man.

Here's to all of you gentlemen who are as wonderful as I know you are, I hope to become like you when I'll have my children.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

that's a nice read, thanks.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 07:56 PM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Sounds to me like your a great father already This is going to be my father's day and I can't wait

Happy Father's Day
Old 13 June 2012, 08:24 PM   #10
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Great post--sounds like you have the right perspective. Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there!! Happy 1st Father's Day Paulie!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 08:24 PM   #11
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Great post--sounds like you have the right perspective. Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there!! Happy 1st Father's Day Paulie!!
Thank you my man
Old 13 June 2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Thank you my man
Paul? Did I miss something?
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 11:34 PM   #13
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2012, 12:30 AM   #14
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2012, 12:44 AM   #15
psv
"TRF" Member

#1 in parenting is to have your priorities and values right. You have that down pat so both you and your child will do great!

Thanks for the post! Keep the faith!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2012, 03:30 AM   #16
lavaman
Banned

Thanks for the kind words. I just tossed it (ok, maye the wrong word, sorry JJ, dont mean to take your verb in vain) out there for those blokes who dont get the praise they should sometimes.
Old 14 June 2012, 05:00 AM   #17
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Great post Lavaman, sounds like you are a great father to me.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2012, 11:38 AM   #18
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Happy Fathers Day, sir! That was touching.

I love my dad very much, he's the one that got me here. He has taught me many great things over the years. I like to spend as much time with him, because I know one day, he'll be gone. His father passed away in Dec' 2004. They had a great relationship. As I got older I realized how hard it must be for my dad, to not be able to call his father. The best to all the fathers this weekend.
drockadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2012, 12:50 PM   #19
lavaman
Banned

You know, I had many people, friends of mine, say kind things to me as I went through school wth my kiddo. But the sad fact is this:

NOTHING I did, nothing I do now, should in any way be deemed exceptional. Especially when others have it far tougher than I ever will.

It's what simply needed to be done. Period.

Why is that unusual?