The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 July 2008, 06:17 PM   #61
Sam Taha
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
My brother bought his SS DJ eight years ago for US$2700, and the AD told him recently that its "replacement value" is $5800. It has more than doubled in just 8 years. If he were to sell it USED he could get at least $3500-$4000. Not bad! So yes, I think of Rolex as an investment or at least as a having a free nice watch :-)
Old 23 July 2008, 06:23 PM   #62
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrolexman View Post
Its the Ferrari of watches,, most recognized and well know luxury watch to the average person in the world.

Don
WHOA!! I'd take it easy with that word FERRARI. I said it very casually on another thread......and never heard the last of it!!

You might want to try PORSCHE instead!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 23 July 2008, 11:11 PM   #63
Kevinm

Well not sure where you got the 2.88% from, but based on what I paid for mine 30 years ago, and the excellant condition it is in, and current market value my gain was an average of 7.5% per year. So with the way mutal funds are going now, basically negative. It looks like the return on the watch is better.

One point to make, even though in the long term a mutual fund can make 7 to 12% just remember you then have to do a tax adjustment which will net you less than the 7 to 12%.

It needs to be looked at like any upscale piece of jewlery.

But no I did not buy in lieu of an investment fund! Nor will I! I can't imagine havng so many watches around! LOL!
Old 25 July 2008, 01:51 PM   #64
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
WHOA!! I'd take it easy with that word FERRARI. I said it very casually on another thread......and never heard the last of it!!

You might want to try PORSCHE instead!!!
Porsche for sure...Ferrari is more like Panerai (conspicuous, but with the goods to back it up)
Old 25 July 2008, 01:51 PM   #65
taylor
"TRF" Member

no
Old 29 July 2008, 10:33 AM   #66
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
i bought the rolex masterpiece platinum day day in 2000 for $49,000 list $63,000 today the list is $83,000. I have had offers of $65,000 its in pristine condition. So $16,000 profit in 8 years is pretty good! But im holdin on to that baby. I bought a 18k pres in 94 with diamond case lugs and diamond dial for $12,000 list $18,900.....2008 list is $32,900.
Old 29 July 2008, 11:12 AM   #67
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowatchman View Post
i bought the rolex masterpiece platinum day day in 2000 for $49,000 list $63,000 today the list is $83,000. I have had offers of $65,000 its in pristine condition. So $16,000 profit in 8 years is pretty good! But im holdin on to that baby. I bought a 18k pres in 94 with diamond case lugs and diamond dial for $12,000 list $18,900.....2008 list is $32,900.
k........that would be a good investment..but have you worn them??
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
Old 29 July 2008, 11:16 AM   #68
hdman1216

Watch: Zenith Defy Open
No chance

There are only 2 or 3 Rolex watches that could even come close to being classified as a "investment". There are MANY other brands that would be better investments.
Old 29 July 2008, 11:20 AM   #69
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

yes i do on a regular bases i have about 23 watches total.
Old 29 July 2008, 11:34 AM   #70
Parachrom
"TRF" Member

Rolex watches onl;y seem to increase in value during the appraisal for isurance purpose. Insurance compnaies dontlike to write checks for such high end watches, so they call up a AD and place an order and they get it for a fraction. As an example. my 1976 SD was appraised in 1990 at 6500 for insurance purpose. The bracelet broke, i lost the watch, made a claim. They called a AD bought it sent them a cheque and I went to pick it up. In my brand new SD box was the bill 2200 dollars Cdn. far cry from the appraised value
Old 29 July 2008, 03:23 PM   #71
DJF881
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, but if you'd bought Microsoft or Apple or Intel in 94... or even in an S&P index fund, you would be doing much, much better now.

Seriously, a watch is not an investment. It is a luxury purchase. If you have to rationalize it as an investment, you shouldn't buy it. The opportunity cost or what you could have made in a real investment will always trump something like this.
Old 30 July 2008, 04:40 AM   #72
Kevinm

I don't know if I agree with the only a couple of Rolex watches are investments list posted above.
The vintage category brings a heck of a lot of return compared to what the purchase price was at the time of new.This was not limited to 2.

Based on the definition of investment: Money or property comitted for future income.
Old 30 July 2008, 04:48 AM   #73
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
But the exception never proves the rule. Watches, like wine, make poor investmemts across the spectrum. No question there are examples where they have done quite well, but in addition to being rare, they are illiquid as hell.

I think this whole "investment" thing comes from some deep guilt where some feel compelled to rationalize wanting/buying something nice. Need a reason? Use mine -- because I just want it!
Old 30 July 2008, 05:05 AM   #74
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I think this whole "investment" thing comes from some deep guilt where some feel compelled to rationalize wanting/buying something nice
+1 but (unlike cars) watches aren't a bad place to put your hard earned $...go buy a brand new Porsche, drive it around the block and try selling it!
Old 30 July 2008, 05:09 AM   #75
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
+1 but (unlike cars) watches aren't a bad place to put your hard earned $...go buy a brand new Porsche, drive it around the block and try selling it!
Concur, but don't be too misled. Most people would buy new from a GM than used from a private party at the same price. So the minute I walked out with a $25,550 18kt Sub it instantly was worth no more than $19K- something AF sells them for all the time.

My good example: Lange One Moonphase 4 years ago. $17 or so as I recall, $32,000 now and $25k+ on the GM. Surely recoup my money after 4 years of enjoyment.
Old 30 July 2008, 05:12 AM   #76
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Concur, but don't be too misled. Most people would buy new from a GM than used from a private party at the same price. So the minute I walked out with a $25,550 18kt Sub it instantly was worth no more than $19K- something AF sells them for all the time.

My good example: Lange One Moonphase 4 years ago. $17 or so as I recall, $32,000 now and $25k+ on the GM. Surely recoup my money after 4 years of enjoyment.
True, but as the prices for new watches go up so seems to go the used market (look what used SDs are going for right now with their recent price increase). With cars the price of the car will not start to escalate for 20-25 years (if you are lucky).
Old 30 July 2008, 05:17 AM   #77
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
True, but as the prices for new watches go up so seems to go the used market (look what used SDs are going for right now with their recent price increase). With cars the price of the car will not start to escalate for 20-25 years (if you are lucky).
Again, I have to agree.

So we can DEFINITELY say watches SUCK LESS than cars as investments.
Old 30 July 2008, 06:44 AM   #78
Kevinm

Your right go buy a brand new Porsche drive it around the block and then try and resell it.
Go do the same with a Ferrari, Bentley, Aston Martin, samething. But hold onto that Porsche for 20 years and you can get a good return for something old. and hopefully had a great time with. Buy that Porsche used and hold on to it, and you may see yourself making money on the vehicle.
Problem is you cannot think short term! Remember the success of those day traders!
Old 30 July 2008, 08:55 PM   #79
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdx77 View Post
x2!
X3!!!
BTW Rolex can be investment if you buy, and keep it in at leat 5 years, and the price will more high than when you buy it first IMO.
Old 30 July 2008, 10:00 PM   #80
pessoa00
"TRF" Member

Don't forget, the value of your currency has a big impact on that "perceived value". In fact, last years price hikes for most watches brands in US had more to do with devaluation of USD to EUR than to apreciation of the watches.
If US currency gets stronger on the following years when compared to EUR, than its possible your "perceived value" in USD will get lower.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:03 PM   #81
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Anything that you can use and enjoy for 20 years and then recoup all of your money plus 2% is a HUGE investment, but your payoff is in happiness.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:55 PM   #82
Kevinm

Ed Rooney -
Old 4 September 2008, 07:30 AM   #83
ludwig_9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
This is an oldie, but still a good read.............
An oldie? I wrote it the day I posted it. Thanks for saying it is a good read though.
Old 4 September 2008, 07:40 AM   #84
DJF881
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Calculate what you would have now if you'd bought the S&P 500 instead of the jewelry.
Old 4 September 2008, 07:54 AM   #85
guydebordgame
Banned

Watch: milgauss
i dont think new rolexes are a good investment at all...they are just a mass produced high priced luxury. if 3000 are produced EVERYDAY how can they hold any sort of value. now rare models and vintage rolexes i consider to be a very very good investment. There are only a finite amount being produced and as long as rolex poors money into their PR and AD campaigns than the name will always be held in highest regard and keep gaining popularity.
Old 4 September 2008, 08:55 AM   #86
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJF881 View Post
Calculate what you would have now if you'd bought the S&P 500 instead of the jewelry.
I have both, Thank you
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
Old 29 August 2009, 05:47 AM   #87
Martin Posner
"TRF" Member

Just a thought - I purchased my Rolex day/date Oyster in 1993 for $4500. Due to the economy I needed to sell it recently. After a significant amount of research, the best I could do was $1800. To say my Rolex was an investment is truly a laugh. As a financial advisor and attorney by trade I view an investment as something that appreciates in value - not something that pays less than 50% of its original purchase price. While there are some Rolex watches which are more valuable than others, I have to admit I was very disappointed.
Old 29 August 2009, 05:55 AM   #88
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
I would consider owning a Rolex a liability, not an asset. Some models appreciate in value over time, but guesswork and luck factor into this. Servicing it as well, costs lots of money ($400-$500 every 5 years). And if you lose it, you lost 100% of the money you used to purchase it with, unless you had it insured, which in turn further increases the cost of owning and maintaining a watch.

I would say though that owning a Rolex is one of the best liabilities out there. Its something that you can wear and enjoy every day, and in a few years, if you get tired of it, you can sell it for something else, with high value retention amongst Professional models. This is difficult to do with furniture, cars, and other things you own and use.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
Old 29 August 2009, 05:56 AM   #89
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
I would take the money for the watch and put it in some financials... Wait until the smoke clears (a few years) and you will have made 5 to ten times your money if you pick the right temporarily govt backed stocks.

I buy my watches to look at and enjoy... Though there was a stretch over the last year where if you bought a Rolex at a great discount you could have sold it a few months later and lost less on the investment than you would have in almost every equity stock in the market.
Old 29 August 2009, 06:00 AM   #90
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Posner View Post
Just a thought - I purchased my Rolex day/date Oyster in 1993 for $4500. Due to the economy I needed to sell it recently. After a significant amount of research, the best I could do was $1800. To say my Rolex was an investment is truly a laugh. As a financial advisor and attorney by trade I view an investment as something that appreciates in value - not something that pays less than 50% of its original purchase price. While there are some Rolex watches which are more valuable than others, I have to admit I was very disappointed.

You bought a DD for $4,500 in 1993 (a steal in my opinion) and sold it for $1,800.???????

As a financial advisor and an attorney, (your words) please remind me to never use your services.

EDIT: Forgot to add, welcome to the forum.
Closed Thread