The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2007, 11:20 PM   #1
SLR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona B/W
Are women less excited than men to get a Rolex?

This really puzzled me. We just bought my wife a new wedding band - a little more elaborate, i.e. more diamonds more bling etc. She's so excited about it, I think the fact that we ordered her a rolex is taking back seat to the ring.

Personally, on the jewelry note, I can't fathom anything more exciting than getting a new watch, especially a Rolex. But she seems a little less excited than i would have expected. So I guess the subtext of the question is, "do women consider a new rolex just another piece of jewelry?" Kind of makes me wonder if i should have just gotten her a big fat diamond instead.

Not trying to be sexist here, but the whole idea of a watch is sort of gadget oriented (movement, chrono, precision etc.), and guys are typically more gadget oriented. So it makes sense that guys are just more psyched to get a rolex than women, right?
Old 26 September 2007, 11:23 PM   #2
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Yep exactly.
timebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 11:24 PM   #3
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
I'm knocking around the idea of getting my wife a TT Datejust for Christmas. She likes the idea, but I get the impression she would be just as happy with an upgrade of her diamond earrings. I think it IS just jewelry to them, whereas it's a bit of a tool to us.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 11:25 PM   #4
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Rings, necklaces, chains etc. are generally considered to be "womens' stuff".

Watches, however, are the only "jewellery" a man can wear.

Of cause this is generally spoken and all is a matter of personal preference and taste.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 11:28 PM   #5
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
Rings, necklaces, chains etc. are generally considered to be "womens' stuff".

Watches, however, are the only "jewellery" a man can wear.

Of cause this is generally spoken and all is a matter of personal preference and taste.

What you mean, I wear a big fat 5 carat diamond all the time but not on my fingers.
Old 26 September 2007, 11:33 PM   #6
Wisher
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Not being a women, I cannot say for sure... but...
I also agree that women have a lot of choices to get excited about. Ear rings, bracelets, necklaces, watches, rings, pendants, broaches, etc. etc.

We men can get excited about watches, and that's pretty much the story. A nice ring is nice but we are limited to our accessories, so that's maybe why it seems watches are more popular among men as a hobby and fascination.

Although as a "watcher" looking at who is wearing what on their wrists, I see just as many women with watches as men. So, there is no doubt they like them. I think it's just their level of enthusiasm is probably spread out among more jewelry and accessory options.
Wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 11:37 PM   #7
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
I had the same experience....when I was married.....blew up the one carat to 2 carats and she went wild. Got her the Rolex YM Platinum. She liked it, but it was just a watch to her I think. I know it is a generalization, but I think that in general boys appreciate the whole concept more...the history, engineering, the hardiness, and the lock tight oyster water proofness of the whole experience. It is, for us, a toy. For them it is "jewellry" (Swiss spelling English in my Omega manual), and so they are going to be more moved by the rock.\ than the watch. In their mind you are getting the Rolex for you, and the ring for them. There is politics of diamond size and a pecking order relating to having a big rock that only women will understand.

Last edited by Arturo; 27 September 2007 at 03:35 PM..
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 12:02 AM   #8
watchloverdave
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Ya know guys, with women it really is the thought that counts. Upgrading her wedding ring is the equivalent of renewing your marriage committments, while a new Rolex, while nice, is just another watch.
watchloverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 12:22 AM   #9
Lisa
"TRF" Member

You know, as a woman I say you guys are right on with your perspectives! The whole Mars vs Venus thing and all... now, I may differ somewhat from a lot of women in that I'm not as into jewelry per se - gets in the way. Earrings made my ears sore, my skin under my wedding band was always soggy, necklaces got grabbed (well, earrings, too, for that matter) by little hands. As for a watch, I don't consider that a piece of jewelry. Given my Mom lifestyle these days, I much preferred dropping the 6K on a new watch, not a diamond ring of the same price. Plus, it didn't hurt that my husband (and his buddy, owner of 3 Daytonas) were pretty pumped up about my getting a Rolex. I'm glad to be one of the gang with them.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 12:26 AM   #10
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
You know, as a woman I say you guys are right on with your perspectives! The whole Mars vs Venus thing and all... now, I may differ somewhat from a lot of women in that I'm not as into jewelry per se - gets in the way. Earrings made my ears sore, my skin under my wedding band was always soggy, necklaces got grabbed (well, earrings, too, for that matter) by little hands. As for a watch, I don't consider that a piece of jewelry. Given my Mom lifestyle these days, I much preferred dropping the 6K on a new watch, not a diamond ring of the same price. Plus, it didn't hurt that my husband (and his buddy, owner of 3 Daytonas) were pretty pumped up about my getting a Rolex. I'm glad to be one of the gang with them.
No matter how many books we men read about the subject , we still have no clue
Most men need to convince their wives to get a Rolex?
Old 27 September 2007, 12:50 AM   #11
SLR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona B/W
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebroker View Post
Most men need to convince their wives to get a Rolex?
Exactly - i sort of had to talk her into it. Didn't get much resistance, but it might not have ever come up unless I suggested it.
Old 27 September 2007, 01:18 AM   #12
Lisa
"TRF" Member

If there was any convincing that needed to be done to encourage me to buy a Rolex, it was only because I was reluctant to spend that kind of money. Dave was CERTAINLY more interested in shelling out the bucks for a datejust than he might have been if I'd been after a big ol' diamond ring. But it wasn't an "either/or" for me - I don't want a diamond. I wanted a nice watch; my cheap-as* Timex stopped running after one month and I was late to an appointment. I wouldn't have spent the money on anything besides a watch. I knew I wanted an automatic, didn't like batteries. Hard to find an automatic ladies' watch - though I think Tag makes one. Like the looks of the Rolexes. Respected the excellence. Knew the time in our lives was right. In a nutshell; THIS woman is just as excited as a man to get a Rolex. Although, you know what? If he would promise never to leave socks, shoes, cereal bowls, tools, etc. laying around the house again, I would have bought another cheap as* Timex and saved him the expense! Now, am I gonna get it from some of you guys?!!
Old 27 September 2007, 01:21 AM   #13
Zack
deregistered

Watch: 16610
I told my wife that I wanted to get her a rolie and she said that if she had to choose she would rather have a bigger better ring. So I have to make that happen first then I'll be able to pick up another rollie for myself.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 01:22 AM   #14
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If there was any convincing that needed to be done to encourage me to buy a Rolex, it was only because I was reluctant to spend that kind of money. Dave was CERTAINLY more interested in shelling out the bucks for a datejust than he might have been if I'd been after a big ol' diamond ring. But it wasn't an "either/or" for me - I don't want a diamond. I wanted a nice watch; my cheap-as* Timex stopped running after one month and I was late to an appointment. I wouldn't have spent the money on anything besides a watch. I knew I wanted an automatic, didn't like batteries. Hard to find an automatic ladies' watch - though I think Tag makes one. Like the looks of the Rolexes. Respected the excellence. Knew the time in our lives was right. In a nutshell; THIS woman is just as excited as a man to get a Rolex. Although, you know what? If he would promise never to leave socks, shoes, cereal bowls, tools, etc. laying around the house again, I would have bought another cheap as* Timex and saved him the expense! Now, am I gonna get it from some of you guys?!!
same as asking for 365 days of sunshine ... no way jose.
Old 27 September 2007, 01:53 AM   #15
Downing
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD ExpII GO Nav ND
Lisa, I think I love you. Let me know if you ever come back on the market.

Seriously, thanks for the input.

Rolexes are, for the most part, a guy thing. My wife loves jewelry so much that if I bought her a Rolex I'm sure she'd carry it straight back to the AD and swap it for more jewelry. And if she gave me jewelry, the first thing I would do is march back to the jeweler and swap it for a Rolex.

Hmmm, maybe I should ask for a diamond studded pearl necklace, earrings and matching bracelets for Christmas this year...

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Glashütte Original Navigator
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 02:00 AM   #16
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Mrs Jedi is pretty excited in The Quest for a 16710 and SS YM... the YM is for her and we've found our best price so far... probably gonna pick it up next week... and she's getting a full size one to boot!!!
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 03:20 AM   #17
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Seeing as your wife loves diamonds so much, I would have suggested that you bought her a DVD copy of the movie "Blood Diamonds". It would have been more suitable. Maybe next time she'll be more enthusiastic about a watch instead of something encrusted in diamonds after viewing this film.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 04:11 AM   #18
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Seeing as your wife loves diamonds so much, I would have suggested that you bought her a DVD copy of the movie "Blood Diamonds". It would have been more suitable. Maybe next time she'll be more enthusiastic about a watch instead of something encrusted in diamonds after viewing this film.
Good movie but not every diamond gets into jewelry that way.
Old 27 September 2007, 04:27 AM   #19
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Guys get excited about a new Rolex.

Girls get excited about a new cat.

:-)
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 04:44 AM   #20
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downing View Post
Lisa, I think I love you. Let me know if you ever come back on the market.

Seriously, thanks for the input.

Rolexes are, for the most part, a guy thing. My wife loves jewelry so much that if I bought her a Rolex I'm sure she'd carry it straight back to the AD and swap it for more jewelry. And if she gave me jewelry, the first thing I would do is march back to the jeweler and swap it for a Rolex.

Hmmm, maybe I should ask for a diamond studded pearl necklace, earrings and matching bracelets for Christmas this year...
That's funny! If I ever do come back on the market, be advised I'll have my 3 girls along, too. That's a lot of Rolexes for graduation presents!
Old 27 September 2007, 04:54 AM   #21
Moose

Watch: GMT I&II, TT Dayt
Quote:
That's funny! If I ever do come back on the market, be advised I'll have my 3 girls along, too. That's a lot of Rolexes for graduation presents!
And let me guess....they will be requesting a SS Daytona each

Nothing better than seeing a Daytona strapped to the wrist of a woman.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 05:07 AM   #22
Thomas
Banned

My wife didn't want a Rolex until she saw my first one, a DJ. She then decided she wanted one, a tt DJ with MOP dial and gold Romans, which I got her. It's beautiful but the day after she got it it became just a watch to her and nothing more, nothing less. To this day she dosen't even know how to set it and couldn't care less, I guess that's what I'm around for. When I got her the DJ I decided that if she was getting one I was going to get a 2nd and I bought a new SS Sub at the same time, that's really why I don't mind setting and winding her's when it needs it.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 05:33 AM   #23
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
My wife didn't want a Rolex until she saw my first one, a DJ. She then decided she wanted one, a tt DJ with MOP dial and gold Romans, which I got her. It's beautiful but the day after she got it it became just a watch to her and nothing more, nothing less. To this day she dosen't even know how to set it and couldn't care less, I guess that's what I'm around for. When I got her the DJ I decided that if she was getting one I was going to get a 2nd and I bought a new SS Sub at the same time, that's really why I don't mind setting and winding her's when it needs it.
Now that's true love!

Can't imagine that I would ever view my Rolex as just a watch... to me it will always be special. Believe me, I'll figure out how to set it! (Now, digital cameras and computers are another story! Heeelllllpppp....) Reminds me when, back in 1989, I ordered a Miata from our local dealership before anyone had ever even seen one in person in Oklahoma. Months later, it arrived - and I learned to drive a stick shift that very day!
Old 27 September 2007, 05:37 AM   #24
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now that's true love!

Can't imagine that I would ever view my Rolex as just a watch... to me it will always be special. Believe me, I'll figure out how to set it! (Now, digital cameras and computers are another story! Heeelllllpppp....) Reminds me when, back in 1989, I ordered a Miata from our local dealership before anyone had ever even seen one in person in Oklahoma. Months later, it arrived - and I learned to drive a stick shift that very day!
Ask away, not all of us are watch geeks only
Old 27 September 2007, 06:19 AM   #25
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSubExII View Post
Mrs Jedi is pretty excited in The Quest for a 16710 and SS YM... the YM is for her and we've found our best price so far... probably gonna pick it up next week... and she's getting a full size one to boot!!!
S/S YM ???

My missus didn't care less until she got with me 18 months back - she now wants a S/S with W/G Flute Lady D/J

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 06:50 AM   #26
jhelms
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub / SS DJ
My wife was kind of the same way. Before we got married she had been looking for a "silver watch with blue face" (like a Seiko or a Fossil or something). Of course, silver as in 'not gold', not as in sterling silver. :)

When we got engaged, she knew I wanted a Submariner and the jeweler that we got her solitaire at was an AD and they had a blue faced datejust that I got for her.

She thought it was cool, but not 'crazy-super-cool' like I thought it was when she gave me my Sub. :) I went crazy!

But as time has passed (6 years) she has really gotten to appreciate it more, she's kind of rough on watches and has had zero issues with hers.
jhelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 07:05 AM   #27
Lisa
"TRF" Member

A girlfriend of mine came to visit last time she was in town. I noticed the Tag she was sporting and commented that she had a pretty dang nice watch. She said, "Is it? Well, I told my husband I needed a new watch and this is what he got me." NO CLUE that this watch was any better than something you'd pick up at Target. True story!
Old 27 September 2007, 07:10 AM   #28
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A girlfriend of mine came to visit last time she was in town. I noticed the Tag she was sporting and commented that she had a pretty dang nice watch. She said, "Is it? Well, I told my husband I needed a new watch and this is what he got me." NO CLUE that this watch was any better than something you'd pick up at Target. True story!
Most people see a watch as something to tell time only, so quite understandable imo.
Old 27 September 2007, 12:20 PM   #29
LouCan

Watch: YM TT MOP
After i got my TT YM, I asked my wife if she would want one later on. She said she was happy with her Raymond Weil . She was the one who picked my YM so i assumed she would want one. Not so I think she needs more time.
LouCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2007, 12:49 PM   #30
Mrdi
Banned

Fat diamonds are big status and establishes pecking order for the ladies.

Gentlmen establish their status/pecking order a little differently.
Rolex,Patek, Porsche, Profession....

I have recently had the pleasure of working with a goodly number of "new " young female professionals.
25-30 year old young ladies who are newly married and or engaged exude
excitement, gigles and raw energy as they flash the engagement tokens that is truly amazing
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote