The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2011, 02:44 PM   #31
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
From what I have read here and elsewhere and according to my AD's watchmaker, the serial number dates the case, not the movement.

Start your countdown on the day you walk out of the store with your watch and also note that Rolex advises to take into account your wearing habits, etc.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2011, 05:12 PM   #32
Aspirin
"TRF" Member

I didn't take any services of my DJ TT since the new purchased at 1998, it still working fine on my wife's wrist.
Aspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2011, 05:19 PM   #33
ddommen

Watch: DJ Blue Dial
Thanks that's really helpful, when you say wearing habits though I wear it every day, it never gets a rest and my husbands sub is only worn at weekends but kept on a winder in the week. Does this mean he should let it stop during the week and wind it every weekend?
ddommen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2011, 02:04 AM   #34
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
I'm a fan of maintenance, but I'm a total newbie about watches.
I read that service in about 5 years is the way to go. But this is what I don't understand.

If one doesn't service the watch until it stops performing, how much more $$'s are we talking about?
Yup, I've seen the wear of the parts pics, but what is harmed by not servicing?
Heck, in 4 years there will be wear- so what is achieved by servicing in 5 vs 7 vs 10?

I don't think it's analogous to changing the oil on a car since the relative cost of oil change to engine repair is far smaller than a watch service to a watch.

So, for me, I wonder how much more costs might one incur if they wait until the watch stops functioning vs submitting it due to a certain amount of time?

Any one have examples of costs for repair costs in addition to service?

TIA
Old 21 January 2011, 02:21 AM   #35
donnapg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian187 View Post
Shhhh don't tell anyone, but... I had my DJ for 24 years and just 2 services!!! Just gone in for it's 3rd service this week.
I've had mine for 25+ and 2 services as well. Never knew I needed to until it started running slow about 7 years ago.
donnapg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2011, 04:21 AM   #36
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Many folks including some watchmakers I've talked to feel that 5 - 7 years is an appropriate interval between services, but all agree that if the watch is used underwater it should be pressure tested annually to verify its watertight integrity.

Btw, here's a quick pic of a Rolex rotor pivot after 7 years. The upper groove shouldn't be there. Any guess as to where the missing metal went? Some here will say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". That's ok for them, but it doesn't work for me. I want every mechanical device I own to be in perfect working condition or I don't want to own it. YMMV.
I thought the purpose of having jewels in the movement was supposed to prevent this sort of wear...
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2011, 07:39 AM   #37
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddommen View Post
Thanks that's really helpful, when you say wearing habits though I wear it every day, it never gets a rest and my husbands sub is only worn at weekends but kept on a winder in the week. Does this mean he should let it stop during the week and wind it every weekend?
I don't think that simply wearing, or having it running, would constitute a decrease in a comfortable wait between services..

If you or your husband was a miner, or drove the Baja every weekend, or you lived in a very humid (jungle) or arid (remote desert) area; then you could argue for a hazardous environment and go to the minimum 5 years..

Otherwise, find your own Zen... say 8 to 10 years...........
Old 21 January 2011, 09:53 AM   #38
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
When it isn't working

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddommen View Post
Hi, could you let me know your thoughts on when I should have my watch serviced. I have had it 3 years and it was new when I was given it, but the serial number dates it 2003. It was bought from an authorised dealer as new.
What is the general rule?
I generally wait till the watch is not working properly, which tends to be 7 years, plus. However, I rarely swim with or have my watch in water. If I did, I'd have my watches pressure tested at a minimum.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2011, 10:05 AM   #39
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I just talked to a independent Rolex service center in Philly today and was inquiring how much for a routine service. I told them its never been serviced and its been 11 years. They asked what was wrong with it. I said nothing. It keeps the same time as it did 11 years ago. The watch tech replied..."Why do you want to service it then?". He said he could take my money and service it but if it aint broke, dont fix it. All do respect to Rolex as a company but if a (very good) independent service center doesnt buy into the "every five years" recommendation, why should you believe the company (Rolex) that has everything to gain $$$ for needless servicing.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2011, 02:40 PM   #40
localwv
"TRF" Member

I wear my SeaDweller everyday, for 7yrs now, and it runs perfectly. The first one I owned ran for 15yrs before I brought it in to replace the crystal. Was told afterwards that could have saved money by just having it polished. Jeweller was greedy.
localwv is offline   Reply With Quote