The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Did you finance your rolex?
Yes, I did. 36 17.39%
No, I paid cash. 171 82.61%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 April 2008, 09:16 PM   #91
al_mal001

Watch: TT YMI, SS DJ, JLC
I bought 1 cash.

I bought 2 financing... Don't feel like paying cash and I have a very special interest rate!!!!
al_mal001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 12:18 AM   #92
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Cash on the barrelhead!
Old 25 April 2008, 12:30 AM   #93
Robb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Cash only. Simple rule of thumb:

If I can't afford, I won't buy it!!

And when I can afford it, I shall buy it!!

Same here
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 01:09 AM   #94
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I put mine on my Amex and paid it off when the bill came in. With all the watches I bought on Amex I end up with a free airplane ticket. Where else can you buy five watches and get a free plane ticket for doing so!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 01:19 AM   #95
fear
"TRF" Member

Wait a minute. I did use plastic to buy luxury items: Debit card.
fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 01:20 AM   #96
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Whoa hold your horses everybody!!!!!

Many here said they wouldn't finance a luxury item like a watch!

How many people in the world finance their cars?

You want a crappy Ford Focus like I have or a Honda or Peugeot or Renault or whatever gas guzzling american cars you guys drive....how many people pay min £12000 cash for those?

My guess is most finance their cars.

Why? You are paying out on a good that's value drops by 25% once it's off the forecourt! Then with wear and tear, that object depreciates by the day!!!!!!

All this is you can't pay for it outright stuff is snobby bs as the poster above has said.

Even if you loaned, bought it on cc or 0% finance, you are buying something that could be a family heirloom one day and maybe is therefore worth the fraction of interest you'd pay.

How many of you here, all the guys who give it all the sentimental "my son will one day wear it etc" will pass their car's on to their grandkids?

Remember, some guys are luckier than others, some work damn hard and still struggle to pay the cost of living. If they want an object like a Rolex watch or whatever, it will only be a little out of their reach...finance could help them reach that goal.

Sorry if I'm ranting but this is why I snap at all this "I buy Rolex because I've made it" and wristwatch snobbery crap.
Anybody I know could borrow 10 grand tomorrow and buy a watch, same as guys could buy BMWs on finance, Porsches on finance etc. It's all about image and if you take things at face value...you need help!

Rant over, I bid you good day!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 01:43 AM   #97
fear
"TRF" Member

Hmmmmm. In many ways Jim is correct. We finance our cars, pay our mortgage.... Unless a person's filthy rich, most of us cannot pay in cash for very expensive items. But we need our cars and homes. So we go through the credit check and if lucky enough banks think that we can "afford" that new car, that new house.

I think that for many nice watches are rewards. We like Rolex a lot but--unless someone here is in the Rolex/watch business--we don't need Rolex. Why be indebted thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars for something we don't need.
Old 25 April 2008, 01:55 AM   #98
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

We have two cars. one for me, one for my wife. We don't need two!

Oh hang on I have two Rolex watches and I don't need...okay, I'll shut up now!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 02:32 AM   #99
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoak352 View Post
The problem is, if I save for two years, there will be two price increases likely. If I put on a 0% credit card with $1000 down, then if I have to sell, then I will probably not loose money.

PS my truck is paid for, so i have no car payment.
Even though I have been fortunate/lucky enough to pay cash for my watches, I agree with you (except the not lose money part).

No car payment? Then I say go for it. But like others have said..only with a store who will give you 0% for 12, 18 or 24 months. I agree with you about price increases, a year from now, that model you want will be at least $1,000 more but charging a Rolex on a CC and carrying the balance is not smart. Also, make sure you read the fine print on the 0% deal. If you are a day late for any reason, I have seen these agreements hit you with a high interest rate as a penalty.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 02:35 AM   #100
fear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
We have two cars. one for me, one for my wife. We don't need two!

Oh hang on I have two Rolex watches and I don't need...okay, I'll shut up now!

J
Haha good one!

I have two Rolexes too. Paid in cash. It's a hobby. The majority of us believe that we shouldn't go nuts over a hobby. Using credit cards for a frivolous $6,000+ item is insane.

It's great you have another car you can play with. Awesome hobby. I had a Mustang 5.0 but needed to sell it. The new Challenger's (manual transmission of course) pretty neat. Can't afford it though.
Old 25 April 2008, 04:20 AM   #101
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Toyota gave me 3.9% for five years. Give me those terms on a watch and I will think about it!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 11:33 PM   #102
Hatchet
"TRF" Member

I never finance anything. I save for it. My house was the one exception, but if things go well it will be paid off waaaay early. Budget, people, budget!
And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. --Carl Spackler in Caddyshack
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2008, 05:01 AM   #103
vjb.knife

Watch: Rolex Sub & GMTIIC
No way, Greenbacks are the way to go.

The last Rolex purchase I made was a Sub LV and a GMTIIC Two Tone along with a Glashutte Original Sport Evolution and I paid with cash.
vjb.knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2008, 06:21 AM   #104
harvey
"TRF" Member

Smoak352 im suprised you need advise...you own a home and have no credit card debt? i bet there werent many members on this forum to be in such a fortunate position at such a young age. i think youre doing well!
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote