The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 February 2014, 11:50 AM   #1
sosteelfish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Want my BLNR back!
BLNR Lifecycle

Anyone care to venture a guess at how long the BLNR will be made? It seems like everyone is convinced that at some point the bezel will be introduced in new colors (Pepsi, etc.). Based on past experience, do we think the BLNR will go away? Just curious if the supply will ever catch up with the demand…

As an aside, this forum is awesome and I enjoy being a part of it. Thanks to all!
Old 17 February 2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosteelfish View Post
Anyone care to venture a guess at how long the BLNR will be made? It seems like everyone is convinced that at some point the bezel will be introduced in new colors (Pepsi, etc.). Based on past experience, do we think the BLNR will go away? Just curious if the supply will ever catch up with the demand…

As an aside, this forum is awesome and I enjoy being a part of it. Thanks to all!
I would imagine in a year or so we will see them in the case.

Today though I stopped in the Rolex boutique and was told they hadn't seen one in a month. A buddy is a store manager for a large chain, Mayors. He checked the stock last week in there were none in any store. You would think by now more would be out there sitting but apparently not.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Ru4scuba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Today's watch
Nobody knows the truth of course, but the best marketing scheme is to let the hype build for a couple of years the introduce something else and phase the old out...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ru4scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

why would it go away?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Went to my AD today and they told me it was being discontinued next week and I better get one ASAP!!!
Old 17 February 2014, 08:54 PM   #6
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
If you look at the life cycle of the GMTs from history, I'd give it 15 years +
Old 17 February 2014, 09:32 PM   #7
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
Went to my AD today and they told me it was being discontinued next week and I better get one ASAP!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 09:59 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
why would it go away?
Exactly its not like its a new watch just slightly different hands, fonts on dial and a blue/black ceramic insert.Now if Rolex produce a red/blue insert perhaps again slightly different hands and dial fonts and perhaps even a boast to the cal 3187.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 10:08 PM   #9
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
If ADs are to be believed, Rolex has been going out of business since 1989.
Old 17 February 2014, 10:17 PM   #10
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
The ss Daytona was quite the four leaf clover when released, along with exaggerated prices and ridiculous waiting lists criteria.
Now it's just like all other Rolexes. The BLNR will eventually be the same and there is no significant reason for production to stop even if there were a Pepsi.
The wis/internets love the Pepsi but would venture the real world general public isn't so fanatical and aren't going to dish out $10k for a watch that would surely be very polarizing and fit a certain dress criteria, ie casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 10:19 PM   #11
sosteelfish
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Exactly its not like its a new watch just slightly different hands, fonts on dial and a blue/black ceramic insert.Now if Rolex produce a red/blue insert perhaps again slightly different hands and dial fonts and perhaps even a boast to the cal 3187.
There are literally none to few BLNR to be had. I know ADs that have had the watch on perpetual order for months and are being told "when it gets there, it gets there," by Rolex reps. I am surprised a large volume dealer like Mayors (stores all over FL) does not have any incoming, but not surprised they do not have any sitting around.

I guess this is really the question? If Rolex produces the GMT II in another color combo, would they keep the BLNR in production?
Old 17 February 2014, 10:20 PM   #12
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
The ss Daytona was quite the four leaf clover when released, along with exaggerated prices and ridiculous waiting lists criteria.
Now it's just like all other Rolexes. The BLNR will eventually be the same and there is no significant reason for production to stop even if there were a Pepsi.
The wis/internets love the Pepsi but would venture the real world general public isn't so fanatical and aren't going to dish out $10k for a watch that would surely be very polarizing and fit a certain dress criteria, ie casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember the GV hype? I took years for it to hit the cases.
Old 17 February 2014, 10:36 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
There are literally none to few BLNR to be had. I know ADs that have had the watch on perpetual order for months and are being told "when it gets there, it gets there," by Rolex reps. I am surprised a large volume dealer like Mayors (stores all over FL) does not have any incoming, but not surprised they do not have any sitting around.

I guess this is really the question? If Rolex produces the GMT II in another color combo, would they keep the BLNR in production?
Well put it this way when the new blue/black insert model was launched Basel 2013,in general from that date its normally approx 6-9 months after we see them at any AD.But it was about 2 months after Basel the first one was bought at retail sale.Now like most other so called new watches they seem to be always in short supply at many ADs.But there always seem to be plenty around on say Ebay and through the grey market dealers.The GMTc in its present and all future forms will be around for many years to come.Most models in the complete range have changed very little since 1988 when the cal 3135 was first introduced.Sure we have different style cases, bracelets clasps,modded movements and ceramic inserts but in general Rolex keeps models for many years to come.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 10:40 PM   #14
sosteelfish
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well put it this way when the new blue/black insert model was launched Basel 2013,in general from that date its normally approx 6-9 months after we see them at any AD.But it was about 2 months after Basel the first one was bought at retail sale.Now like most other so called new watches they seem to be always in short supply at many ADs.But there always seem to be plenty around on say Ebay and through the grey market dealers.The GMTc in its present and all future forms will be around for many years to come.Most models in the complete range have changed very little since 1988 when the cal 3135 was first introduced.Sure we have different style cases, bracelets clasps,modded movements and ceramic inserts but in general Rolex keeps models for many years to come.
Perfect answer. Thank you.
Old 17 February 2014, 10:46 PM   #15
SixPak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gotta love AD's.
SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 11:47 PM   #16
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

I just don't get the purpose or rational behind this question. Firstly, why would Rolex discontinue a watch a year or two after its release. It's not an iPhone, Rolex moves at the speed of slow squared divided by snail trail.
They have invested so much money to get this watch out and now it's an extremely hot seller, a bonafide success from a product perspective, what motivation on earth would compel them to stop selling something in high demand , they don't make money from grey dealers and second hand markets price gouging(like the 16610LV).....which leads to the next point.
What motivation do they really have for creating the blue/red bezel combo. Judging by the retro lightning bolt hand on the Milguass and the phantom hands on the Exp 2 it does seem Rolex is open for some retro styling, but in those cases the previous model was abandoned as it was overhauled for the updated version.
Would Rolex really look to abandon a successful selling product 1-3 years into it's cycle just to appease a few internet forum fanatics with a red/blue bezel. I think not.

Just get the watch you want and like people, ever consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
Remember the GV hype? I took years for it to hit the cases.
Yes, another example. It happens to all successful products upon release, cars, clothing, phones...then after the hype, it's everywhere. The supply always catches up with demand.
I think short demand after release is just standard operating procedure for Rolex....or they just create "X" number of any given model no matter what. Which explains why you can get your hands on a Skydweller or Platinum Daytona, they made the same numbers as usual but the price is way too high and the demographic very low, unlike the GMT2BLNR. More affordable....as it relates to Rolexes.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2014, 12:24 AM   #17
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
My current local AD seems to get one a month, and had one sitting in the window display a few days ago

I don't buy into the supply/demand/'rarity', etc game that's played by Rolex and some ADs in particular. If I see supposedly 'in demand' models in the display, this tells me that sales are probably not as brisk as the AD would like (so the 'rare' models come out of the safe...)
Sure, there is usually an upswell of interest in new models, but it doesn't really take long for the novelty factor to wear off
Old 18 February 2014, 12:50 AM   #18
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I'd guess that BLNR will be in production for the next 12+ years.
Welshwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2014, 12:59 AM   #19
tfly212
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona or BLNR
Rolex isn't Panerai...they don't release 15 new models every year. I'm not knocking Panerai, (I have 3) but Rolex seems much more deliberate in it's release cycle. I would expect the BLNR to be around a long time. If the coke and pepsi color combos lasted decades, my guess is that an even more subdued color mix will do so as well. But if they want to stop production immediately, that's fine too...mine will be worth more lol.
tfly212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2014, 02:29 AM   #20
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Hard to tell. The two-tone ceramic bezel has a lot of possibilities. Rolex can of course bring back the Coke and Pepsi, or even the Root Beer, but also can produce a green-black "Sprite" bezel as well. But even if all those listed options become available, I think the BLNR will still stay with us for at least a decade or two.
Old 18 February 2014, 02:38 AM   #21
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I think it'll be around for many, many years to come. The local AD here had 2 BLNR's on actual display, last time I was there...mind you that was a couple months ago. Might be different supply and demand up here...Rolexes in the wild are not particularly common.
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2014, 04:32 AM   #22
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
My current local AD seems to get one a month, and had one sitting in the window display a few days ago

I don't buy into the supply/demand/'rarity', etc game that's played by Rolex and some ADs in particular. If I see supposedly 'in demand' models in the display, this tells me that sales are probably not as brisk as the AD would like (so the 'rare' models come out of the safe...)
Sure, there is usually an upswell of interest in new models, but it doesn't really take long for the novelty factor to wear off
I don't buy into the supply/demand/rarity either there are plenty of BLNR's on ebay and on here through Trusted Sellers to go around. Anyone that pays a premium for these I would like to sell some nice beachfront property I have in Lincoln Nebraska. Reminds me of the Milgauss GV years back when people were paying 20% over list for. That is insane.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2014, 04:41 AM   #23
Piloto
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 & 116710BLNR
Not to rub it in... I'm sure enjoying mine right now. Sooner or later, these things will be pretty common. As for now, I like being a bit unique. As an airline pilot, there are quite a few Rolex GMT's of all generations floating around. At my airline, I've seen everything made after 1970, with exception of the all gold. The BLNR count is up to two at my base now. I've had some die-hard GMT wearers look at mine and ask "Is that real". I laugh it off and explain it to them.

As for when will it end??? Simple... When it stops making Rolex a lot of money.
Piloto is offline   Reply With Quote