The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 January 2023, 01:35 AM   #1
SignotheTimes
"TRF" Member

“Unicorn” Daytona Ref. 6265

Some reading at the turn of the year.

https://perezcope.com/2022/12/31/rol...kenstein-plot/

I wish you all a good start to the New Year. 🎇
SignotheTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 01:51 AM   #2
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
more good work by perezcope

I need to learn a lot more before even thinking about a 6262 (my new obsession)
rockmastermike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 07:41 AM   #3
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmastermike View Post
more good work by perezcope

I need to learn a lot more before even thinking about a 6262 (my new obsession)
Good choice dude.

I have a sigma-dialled 6262 - it's lovely (if I do say so myself.)

Old 3 January 2023, 12:18 PM   #4
pereztroika
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBigCrown View Post

I have a sigma-dialled 6262 - it's lovely (if I do say so myself.)
That's quite a rarity. Not many were made. Can you share the details of your watch for my database please?

Cheers
Jose

Instagram: @perezcope
pereztroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2023, 02:11 PM   #5
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pereztroika View Post
That's quite a rarity. Not many were made. Can you share the details of your watch for my database please?

Cheers
Jose

Nice write up! Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 02:01 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

These contrarian blog posts are always fun to read, and seem well researched. There are very few people whose integrity is incorruptible when big money is at stake. The high-end watch world is notoriously corrupt IMO, and Rolex facilitates this by refusing to open their archives.

In the current system, it seems that famous auctioneers, dealers, and collectors can collude to create a shadow world of high value watches that have no actual provenance. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone claim that a watch must be legit, simply because it was sold by a certain auction house or a famous dealer; they even call such a sale "provenance", which of course it is not. It is insane that someone would pay millions for a supposedly unique item that has not truly been thoroughly vetted by an independent expert, only by people with self-interest in the sale.
Old 2 January 2023, 03:43 AM   #7
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
These contrarian blog posts are always fun to read, and seem well researched. There are very few people whose integrity is incorruptible when big money is at stake. The high-end watch world is notoriously corrupt IMO, and Rolex facilitates this by refusing to open their archives.

In the current system, it seems that famous auctioneers, dealers, and collectors can collude to create a shadow world of high value watches that have no actual provenance. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone claim that a watch must be legit, simply because it was sold by a certain auction house or a famous dealer; they even call such a sale "provenance", which of course it is not. It is insane that someone would pay millions for a supposedly unique item that has not truly been thoroughly vetted by an independent expert, only by people with self-interest in the sale.
Well put
Crown & Shield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 02:07 AM   #8
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Thanks Stt. As ever it's brilliant sleuth work by Jose. Correct on sigma, thousand cut pushers etc etc...

The higher the pyramid (rarity/cost) the more gullible and self-regarding/peacocking the audience are, is what I've found at high status auctions for cars/watches/guitars/motorcycles.... having attended many over the last 40yrs !

You get lazy buyers (who are usually parking their money as a new fangled investment), who rely on 'experts' - many of whom are on their own payroll, or on commission.... goading them to bid against another self-regarding peacock.... until one is the 'winner' of a hugely overpriced 'prize' that they'll be buried in until the next high profile auction snaffles another naive millionaire !
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 03:42 AM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Thanks Stt. As ever it's brilliant sleuth work by Jose. Correct on sigma, thousand cut pushers etc etc...

The higher the pyramid (rarity/cost) the more gullible and self-regarding/peacocking the audience are, is what I've found at high status auctions for cars/watches/guitars/motorcycles.... having attended many over the last 40yrs !

You get lazy buyers (who are usually parking their money as a new fangled investment), who rely on 'experts' - many of whom are on their own payroll, or on commission.... goading them to bid against another self-regarding peacock.... until one is the 'winner' of a hugely overpriced 'prize' that they'll be buried in until the next high profile auction snaffles another naive millionaire !
Beautifully put & well done Jose. Fantastic read.
Old 1 January 2023, 07:40 AM   #10
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

More good work by perezcope.
Old 1 January 2023, 02:25 AM   #11
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
It would serve Hodinkee well to not only address this, but come clean. Not that I have much faith in their profit-over-integrity persona.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 09:08 AM   #12
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
It would serve Hodinkee well to not only address this, but come clean. Not that I have much faith in their profit-over-integrity persona.
agree, they lost the plot quite a while ago.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 07:53 AM   #13
330ci
"TRF" Member

Makes Luke Rottman look like child's play
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 08:52 AM   #14
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
No surprise at all on the prominence of fake anything whether expensive or not.
Just too many gullible suckers with money to burn in the world.
Hence watch collecting, car collecting, sports memorabilia collecting, yada, yada, yada.
We all pretty much fit that bill one way or another.
I’ve been tricked before and always try to do a better job each time I’m looking to get something.
Just had a vintage Heuer Autavia Siffert delivered yesterday that I’m glad to own.
But until further notice I will continue to love the nuances and micro mechanics of vintage watches.
Old 1 January 2023, 09:43 AM   #15
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Mr. Goldberger is revered in Hodinkeeland; they just had a 'Talking watches' episode 2.0 recently. This story paints him in quite a different light (not flattering one bit.)
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 09:08 PM   #16
fmc000
Banned

Great job from José as usual. Here in Italy we say that "le bugie hanno le gambe corte", meaning that truth always comes out, regardless how well you hide it.

OK, the watch is not what was described, it's not the first time this happens and it won't be the last. The charity part is what i find most disturbing, though.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 09:32 PM   #17
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Buying at auction, at this level, is theater. Potential buyers are courted, told different stories regarding their roles, they meet all the players are seduced and convinced that nothing can go wrong and that bright lights will be shone on them and their collection. Other luminaries are unlikely to reverse their opinions about a masterwork simply because Perezcope makes some assertions. If things should turn sketchy, there's always the museum donation escape route to be traveled which provides further evidence of the charitable nature of the owner along with a big tax deduction.
Cognitive consonance erects a force field which prevents most negative evidence from entering the inner circle, shielding the buyer from having to recognize the poor judgement of this purchase, anyway. And, ultimately, everyone is happy.

Last edited by cascavel; 1 January 2023 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Spelling error.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 09:35 PM   #18
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Buying at auction, at this level, is theater. Potential buyers are courted, told different stories regarding their roles, they meet all the players are seduced and convinced that nothing can go wrong and that bright lights will be shone on them and their collection. Other luminaries are unlikely to reverse their opinions about a masterwork simply because Periscope makes some assertions. If things should turn sketchy, there's always the museum donation escape route to be traveled which provides further evidence of the charitable nature of the owner along with a big tax deduction.
Cognitive consonance provides a force field which prevents most negative evidence from entering the inner circle, shielding the buyer from having to recognize the poor judgement
of this purchase, anyway. And, ultimately, everyone is happy.
Indeed- In the words of David Byrne 'Same as it ever was'.
Old 1 January 2023, 10:52 PM   #19
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I would like to know the story behind Auro Montanari choosing the pseudonym of John Goldberger. It seems very calculated, and it rubs me the wrong way, TBH.
Old 1 January 2023, 11:30 PM   #20
SignotheTimes
"TRF" Member

Here is an interview with benevolent content.

https://www.morjas.com/de/blog/inter...hn-goldberger/
SignotheTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 11:43 PM   #21
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignotheTimes View Post
Here is an interview with benevolent content.

https://www.morjas.com/de/blog/inter...hn-goldberger/
Thanks -tbh I've never warmed to him. Vis 2 tailors...and when asked why do you sell at auction and not privately 'It’s very hard to find private collectors with the magnitude' !!
My response...Oh is it really sir..., magnitude...schmagnitude !
Old 2 January 2023, 10:53 PM   #22
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
I would like to know the story behind Auro Montanari choosing the pseudonym of John Goldberger. It seems very calculated, and it rubs me the wrong way, TBH.
Auro in Italian sounds like "aureo", which is the adjective related to gold. Montanaro in Italian means "mountaneer" so it's very closely related to "berg", which in German means "mountain".

Why he choose "John" as the first name? I guess because he spent too much time looking for the right last name and thus he was too tired to choose a less common first name.
Old 2 January 2023, 11:42 PM   #23
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Auro in Italian sounds like "aureo", which is the adjective related to gold. Montanaro in Italian means "mountaneer" so it's very closely related to "berg", which in German means "mountain".
That's an interesting analysis and it makes me feel a bit better. TBH, I was questioning why he chose a name that is so distinctively Jewish.
Old 3 January 2023, 01:21 AM   #24
njsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Why he choose "John" as the first name? I guess because he spent too much time looking for the right last name and thus he was too tired to choose a less common first name.
I guess the first name Auric was already taken? LOL

Getting James Bond, "Goldfinger" vibes from all this.
njsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2023, 09:45 PM   #25
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I once read he wanted a WASPy name
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2023, 11:31 PM   #26
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

I think Dan S was questioning the whole concept of hiding behind a pseudonym.
I do, too.
Old 3 January 2023, 02:52 AM   #27
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
I think Dan S was questioning the whole concept of hiding behind a pseudonym.
I do, too.
I think I read in an interview that this was just a marketing choice to help the international sales of his books.
Old 3 January 2023, 02:54 AM   #28
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think I read in an interview that this was just a marketing choice to help the international sales of his books.
Yes. The peacocks, peacock.
Old 3 January 2023, 04:13 AM   #29
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info
Old 3 January 2023, 02:03 PM   #30
Greglaw
Banned

Great job as always, Jose!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote