The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2013, 01:59 AM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneWatches View Post
Padi seemed pretty defensive about the aftermarket crystal lol
And why do you say that I have only mentioned its doubtful if its a aftermarket crystal in the watch.And if any sapphire crystal no matter who manufactured the crystal was the correct dimension same as a Rolex crystal with the correct gaskets installed.Then it would pressure check fine as any sapphire crystal would no matter who made it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Watch: 116528
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
And if any sapphire crystal no matter who manufactured the crystal was the correct dimension same as a Rolex crystal with the correct gaskets installed.Then it would pressure check fine as any sapphire crystal would no matter who made it.
Not trying to say it's an aftermarket or inferior part, but if I suspected an aftermarket crystal was on my watch, I would start to question the rest of it to see if any other non-genuine parts were used at the last service.

Another reason I will always buy new from AD...
Daytona-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 08:05 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona-Dan View Post
Not trying to say it's an aftermarket or inferior part, but if I suspected an aftermarket crystal was on my watch, I would start to question the rest of it to see if any other non-genuine parts were used at the last service.

Another reason I will always buy new from AD...
With my experience with Rolex watch they have to be more that 20 years old to need any replaced parts if correctly serviced in its life.And sapphire Crystals are man made today from exactly the same materials.Its made from mainly Corundum or Al2O3 crystallizing aluminium oxide fired at very high temperatures.When it is heated to very high temperatures synthetic sapphire forms round in huge masses. They are then sliced into pieces with diamond-coated saws. These disks are then ground and polished into watch crystals or any other viewing type glass.While some will say with there marketing there crystals might be special,but with most marketing today its around 10% fact the rest bullsh~ite. But agree to always get watch serviced by a Rolex authorised agent,but when Rolex refuses to service some vintage watch because they say they have not got the parts.The only way to repair that watch is either get them made, or if available use aftermarket.But Rolex supposed to be watchmakers so why cannot they make a part if needed for one of there own vintage watches.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 August 2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
...While some will say with there marketing there crystals might be special,but with most marketing today its around 10% fact...
I'd be more interested in the AR coating(s) used then the actual sapphire... High quality AR coating(s) can make a difference.

while many have suggested third-party sapphire, what are the odds that any watch that comes standard with sapphire may have received a mineral-glass replacement (for whatever reason)? Is there a way to distinguish between sapphire and non-sapphire glass? I have one ~$1K watch that uses sapphire on the front and mineral for the case-back. I couldn't tell you if that's really the case with the naked eye...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 12:18 PM   #5
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

The LEC on my 116610LV is quite clear. I was able to see it today while driving in my convertible! I was actually surprised. The LEC on my 16233 was a project but I knew it was there after the crystal update at the RSC 2013. Simply, both watches have them.
If you are without, I suspect that the crystal is aftermarket.
Not really a big deal, just should have been mentioned as part of your purchase!
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Keith1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C blue, DSSD
Again, I went to 4 AD's and looked at about 35 new Submariners with "V", "G", and random serial numbers. Not one of the diamond dials had the LEC on my last trip, including the new diamond dial I bought. About 1 in 4 of the non diamond dial did not have the LEC. The sales reps also confirmed what I did or did not see. These are ALL brand new watches. The RSC's in the States, and Toronto also confirmed when the newer Subs come in for service they do not all have the LEC on them. I do not know when Rolex changed to putting these on random, but I do know that they are now random on the new Subs!!
Keith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 05:06 PM   #7
slvrbulletv6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN serti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1 View Post
Again, I went to 4 AD's and looked at about 35 new Submariners with "V", "G", and random serial numbers. Not one of the diamond dials had the LEC on my last trip, including the new diamond dial I bought. About 1 in 4 of the non diamond dial did not have the LEC. The sales reps also confirmed what I did or did not see. These are ALL brand new watches. The RSC's in the States, and Toronto also confirmed when the newer Subs come in for service they do not all have the LEC on them. I do not know when Rolex changed to putting these on random, but I do know that they are now random on the new Subs!!
I have a G-series Sub with diamond dial bought new and it has a LEC on the glass. I guess it is that random according to (Keith and Padi). I feel "lucky" then because I like trying to find the elusive LEC every so often when I'm bored haha.
slvrbulletv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Yinger
"TRF" Member

Took my watch to jewelers on time in Newport beach and they confirmed that there wasn't any LEC on my watch. They did say that there are crystals without LECs but that was typically new old stock. After calling a rolex tech at the service center in Beverly Hills, she verified what Padi and Keith has been saying. Finally I have some closure on my missing LEC haha. Thanks again everyone for your input!
Rolex TT Submariner
Zenith Elite Grande Reserve de Marche
Yinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Marianoz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinger View Post
Took my watch to jewelers on time in Newport beach and they confirmed that there wasn't any LEC on my watch. They did say that there are crystals without LECs but that was typically new old stock. After calling a rolex tech at the service center in Beverly Hills, she verified what Padi and Keith has been saying. Finally I have some closure on my missing LEC haha. Thanks again everyone for your input!
Great to hear you sorted it out. Enjoy your watch!
Marianoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 09:50 PM   #10
SixPak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats Yinger!!! Now you can enjoy your new watch.

PS: Your plight had some of us scrambling looking for the LEC on their watches, myself included, haha.
SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 02:30 AM   #11
akira23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam 1313
Quote:

Nice!!!
akira23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 02:43 AM   #12
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Glad it all worked out for the best!

Kenny and Victor at JoT are great guys that are always willing to help if anyone on here has questions. They do all my watch appraisals and verify authenticity. They also have a rolex parts account with certified watch makers. My buddy purchased a Sub and Panerai from them that were used but in perfect condition. The guys even brought out their personal ALS and Patek collection for me to try on when I was there on sat.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 05:41 AM   #13
Npbrown03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I just read through all the posts. Interesting stuff.

The LEC on my 16610lv is clear as day. Maybe I have good eyes or maybe it's the black dial. It's also surprisingly easy to capture in photographs with my point and shoot. I'd post a pic, but they're on my computer at home.

Also, I was at my local AD on Friday looking at a hulk and GMTc and couldn't find the LEC to save my life. This thread probably explains why.
Npbrown03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 06:26 PM   #14
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Watch: 116528
My brand new Daytona delivered from Rolex warehouse to my AD about 3 months ago had one. I don't care much for it but I must admit that if it wasn't there, I would also be asking questions and unless anyone other that RSC themselves replaced it with anything other than an "S" service crystal, I would refuse the work. Call me nuts, but that's just me (I don't plan to take mine anywhere other than RSC anyway, I spent well over £20k and it's not worth the risk).
Daytona-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 06:31 PM   #15
nickng
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Always nice to hear a happy ending.
Cheers

NickN

nickng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 12:18 AM   #16
Yinger
"TRF" Member

Lol, I think it had everyone checking just to be sure. But at least the community can pass on the knowledge to the next person that asks... If the LEC is randomized, I'm sure there will be a few more of the same topics.

I was told I can replace it with a LEC crystal for 200 bucks, but I figured it wasn't worth it for something I couldn't see on a normal basis
Rolex TT Submariner
Old 14 August 2013, 12:22 AM   #17
Rolex Freak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/GS
Good to hear that you sorted it out.
Rolex Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 02:05 AM   #18
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

I've been following this tread from the begging.

Interesting info.

Glad you are happy with the answer Yinger.
Angrypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 05:46 AM   #19
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Enjoy your new watch Yinger!
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 05:49 PM   #20
DJWong
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, SD, DSSD
No Laser etched coronet... should i be concerned?

Great Yinger that you got happy at the end. Thanks to your thread I checked my watches as well. Really difficult but spotted them eventually :-)
DJWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 08:17 PM   #21
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

I have read that sapphire and mineral glass bead water differently. Good luck
Old 14 August 2013, 10:49 PM   #22
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cc1966 View Post
I have read that sapphire and mineral glass bead water differently. Good luck
lol, now you're going to get us all to splash our watches and take iphone pics of the water beading on our crystals ;-p Even if this is the case, I would imagine that AR coatings would affect the results...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 09:08 PM   #23
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Yinger,
If I was you I would send the watch to the RSC and get the cristal changed. You get a full inspection, possibly a polish and 2 warranty.

And then you know the watch is real :-)
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2013, 01:01 AM   #24
Yinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
Yinger,
If I was you I would send the watch to the RSC and get the cristal changed. You get a full inspection, possibly a polish and 2 warranty.

The crystal doesn't bug me anymore after calling rolex and I already had the watch authenticated. I can switch it out for a LEC crystal, but based on what the rolex tech said at the RSC, there's no point in shelling out 200 bucks for something I can't see on a normal basis. It probably just is a rolex crystal but without the LEC.

But once again, thanks everyone!
Rolex TT Submariner
Old 15 August 2013, 01:12 AM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
Yinger,

And who ever told you that or wherever you seen it is totally wrong you only get a two year warranty after a full paid service is done.And if you read the thread you would see that not all watches have a LEC even some new ones bought from ADs. Just cannot see what all the fuss over a LEC on a crystal that's so hard to see if you have one.Now if you could easily see it then perhaps you would have something to worry about.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 August 2013, 10:20 PM   #26
Dankleness
"TRF" Member

I still cannot find the LEC on my DJII... Need to find a magnifying glass, I'm going crazy.
Dankleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 11:36 PM   #27
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

You may be right! Just don't dry them with this: