The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 June 2008, 10:21 AM   #61
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Hands down take the Submariner, you will never regret it and can save money gradually for if you want more watchs later down. You got some excellent suggestions here but let me tell you, when a Rolex is on your list hardly anything else seems to truly satisfy you for long. As stated before, do yourself a favour get the Submariner. Resale value on the other two will be a major set back to help finance the Rolex when you feel it is time so....
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 10:47 AM   #62
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
It's all been said, but here's my take.

The Submariner was my choice (that's why I'm here).

I seriously considered the Omega SMP and read and reread Jon Holbrook's excellent comparative review, until I started quoting it to people. However to my mind the Submariner IS the definitive dive watch and the Rolex brand has more cachet and recognition. This together with the quality, mechanical excellence of the movement and its history made me choose the Sub.

The Omega has a clear price advantage but several things put me off; the sword hands, the dial being all but hidden behind the hour markers and the decompression valve at 11 o'clock. Finally at 43mm the watch is too big. I've only seen one in the wild, on the wrist of an chap who stood 6' 3" and liked his food. It looked big on him!

Only you can decide what to do but I would strongly recommend holding both watches and seeing which you prefer. Good luck.

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:32 AM   #63
Submariner 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub
Buy the Rolex

Greetings, Well I am new to this awesome, friendly and very knowledgeable forum. I have been able to find the answers to all of my newbie questions here. I also own the three watches spoke of, so this seems the perfect thread for my first post. I started with a Tag Heuer SEL quartz, graduated to an Omega SMP, and 3 weeks ago took the plunge on a Sub SS Date, and there has been NO looking back. I havent worn the Tag since then, and have only worn the Omega once. The first 2 are fine watches, its just that Rolex is in another class. There is something truly "Magical" about wearing a Rolex, that words cannot express until you have done it. It will put a smile on your face every time you look at your wrist. And you will hate to take it off a nite, and cant wait to put it on in the morning! If you can buy the Rolex. Good Luck, Don
Submariner 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 12:35 PM   #64
AOTM
Banned

Actually, for value=Rolex. Its only a good deal if you get a quality product. Sure, a McDonalds hamburger is cheap at 1.00 $, but is that a good value when I'll be hungry in an hour and won't enjoy the flavor? Or, should I opt to spend 10.00 $ on a gourmet burger and thoroughly enjoy it and be full for hours?
AOTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 12:41 PM   #65
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner 1 View Post
And you will hate to take it off a nite, and cant wait to put it on in the morning! If you can buy the Rolex. Good Luck, Don
Don...welcome, but I must ask, why take it off at night? A Sub belongs on its owners wrist at all hours of the day...
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 01:15 PM   #66
Yagz

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:
There is something truly "Magical" about wearing a Rolex, that words cannot express until you have done it. It will put a smile on your face every time you look at your wrist.
Very true!!! Amen.
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 01:21 PM   #67
vjb.knife

Watch: Rolex Sub & GMTIIC
I own both of these and really like them but .......

I own these and really like both of them but would not buy a Tag.

vjb.knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 01:33 PM   #68
Submariner 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub
Moby33, You are correct, I guess there is no reason to ever take off a Sub! Thanks for the welcome, and I'm glad to be here. My first Rolex was a long time comming, but well worth the wait! Don
Submariner 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 04:43 AM   #69
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
There is something indescribable when you wear a Rolex, you get a buzz each time you wear it.

This is a poor excuse for wearing a Rolex but I will mention it anyway, many a time I have been asked "Is that a Rolex"? I have never been asked "Is that a Omega or A Tag"? Shallow I know, but a great feeling.

Buy what you can afford, but for quality and price (About $2000) I again urge you to look at a mechanical Seiko Marinemaster, stunning watch for less money than the Omega and the Tag and a lot more difficult to come by, so more exclusive.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 05:25 AM   #70
javierleon
"TRF" Member

Not even close IMHO
javierleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 06:35 AM   #71
Ken Cox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
It troubles me to say this, but the prestige and recognition factor associated with the Rolex has a place in the equation, for both good and bad.

I wear a GMT Master II which my wife gave me for my fortieth birthday (21 years ago), after much heavy hinting.

I wanted this watch, not because of the prestige, but because I thought it the best watch available for my purposes.

Most folks probably don't think of this model of GMT Master as particularly rugged, compared to the Submariner, but I have worn this watch around the world in the most hostile environments imagineable, and it has kept impeccable time with only two services (shame on me).

However, if not receiving this watch as a gift, but, rather, if purchasing a watch for myself, today, only three watches would get my attention:

Submariner No Date COSC;

Explorer II White Face; and,

Seamaster 300M Chronograph 2894.52.91 (rubber strap).

I like the Explorer II because I will rarely, if ever, see it on someone else's wrist.
Further, although the prestige of a Rolex has its value, it can also label the wearer as a poseur, a follower of fads, or as a person dependent on his possessions for credibility.
In the above regard, then, the Explorer II gives me the best of all possible worlds, in that it gives me a super-rugged and accurate best-of-the-best watch; and, to the discerning eye it conveys some prestige without the accompanying negative connotations.
And, finally, regarding the white face of the Explorer II, the background in the date window matches the face color, which I like.

As for the Submariner No Date COSC, it just has everything going for it, mostly in terms of sheer ability to take punishment and keep good time; and, given the tastefullness and simplicity of the watch, I can handle the negative thoughts of any Rolex-haters out there.

This brings us to the Omega Seamaster 300M Chronograph.

I know the OP specified a different Seamaster, but, in this company of watches, the Seamaster 300M Chronograph seems to me the correct choice for a comparison.

Check out the pictures SPACE-DWELLER took of this watch on his wrist:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=39921

In this watch we have a COSC chronograph-chronometer certified to the same depth as the Submariner.

To my liking, this Seamaster has a date background the same color as the face, symmetrically placed at the bottom of the dial.

Additionally, this watch has presence even if the observer does not know the name Omega, and it gives visual evidence of its quality, ruggedness, and purposefullness.

This watch, available now, costs less than $3000 with typical discounts.

=====

If price did not matter to me, and if I walked into an AD shop just as he put all three watches on display, I think I'd have a meltdown.

How could I choose?

I think I'd have to imagine myself outside the store with my new watch on my wrist, and I'd have to look down at it and imagine which watch on my wrist would give me the most certainty I had made the right choice.

How could a person possibly regret purchasing a Submariner No Date COSC?

But then, from my early days in Marine Corps Special Operations, I associate the No Date with the real thing; and so this watch, in addition to its symmetry and simplicity, has a nostalgic appeal to me.

Still, tough choice, but I think I'd feel best with the Omega 300M Chronograph for the reasons I already listed above.

And, besides, look at all those cool thingies sticking out of the watch!

Wait a minute.
I changed my mind again.
I'd go with the Sub ND.

But then...
Ken Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 06:37 AM   #72
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
[QUOTE=vjb.knife;616120]I own these and really like both of them but would not buy a Tag.

Nice bins Vince!

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 06:53 AM   #73
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkyong1 View Post

Dudes, need your advice.......
This is a Rolex forum. What did you think the answer would be?
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 07:00 AM   #74
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I have no hesitation recommending Omega. A great watch at 1/3 of the cost.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 07:13 AM   #75
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is something truly "Magical" about wearing a Rolex, that words cannot express until you have done it. It will put a smile on your face every time you look at your wrist. And you will hate to take it off a nite, and cant wait to put it on in the morning!

This is 100% true. It's amazing how quickly you get over the sticker shock of Rolex once you own one and experience the feeling mentioned above. I didn't even hesitate at buying my 2nd & 3rd but I debated heavily on my 1st due to the cost. Nothing wrong with the Omega, great bang for the buck but it is no Rolex and buying the Omega will only mean postponement of the Sub purchase at which time it will definitely cost you far more then it would now.
I would not even consider the Tag.
HDHNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 07:33 AM   #76
jasper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 / speedy pro
I had the Omega first, a speedmaster pro, ten years later I bought a GMT. The Speedy was and still is my first love, and that will never change. Fantastic high quality watch...excellent value. The GMT is getting all the wrist time at the moment because of it's functionality, but it really needs a service and this will take some time so I will happily wear the Omega.

I totally get what you are saying about the sub no date feeling almost *cheap* compared to the Omega. I tried one on recently and it did nothing for me. It just didn't feel substantial in any way to me. *** The sub LV (green bezl, maxi dial) is a totally different story though. I put that one on and it stuck to my arm like glue.

So, my advice is to get the Omega if the only alternative is the sub no date. I really like Omegas , although I would prefer a rubber strap on the SMP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1365[1].jpg (56.7 KB, 183 views)
Seiko 6309 The perfect watch for a trip to Mexico.
jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 11:00 AM   #77
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cox View Post

How could a person possibly regret purchasing a Submariner No Date COSC?
Easy...my regret would be that my watch was lacking a date!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2008, 12:03 AM   #78
butlersl

Watch: Sub-Date
I had wanted a Rolex for almost 20 years before being able to finally get one. In the interim, I went through a whole lot of alternatives, from entry-level Seiko's, to the Marathon GSAR/TSARs, a high-end Seiko Marinemaster, and a gorgeouse Omega SMP (but no TAGs). Finally I got a great condition Rolex, a one owner 16610 Submariner, sent it in to RSC for servicing and check-out, and it never leaves my wrist.

My impressions of the Omega (since the question was specifically about Omega and TAG, not the other ones), is that the initial bang for the buck is great, the fit and construction of the bracelet is fantastic, timekeeping was excellent (non-coaxial movement, it was a 2254.50 model), great lume, and a really good looking watch. The downside, and this is one of my pet peeves on watches and is where Seiko excels, is bezel movement. The SMP had a firm but smooth operation, but the scalloped edges were hard to grip in the water (or even on land). This was a deal breaker, as were the tiny crown and scratch-magnet clasp. Also not a big fan of the Helium release valve, but that may be a personal preference.

The Sub, to me, has pretty much everything I want in a watch. The price may seem high initially, but if you want to resale it is easy to do; or if you are like me, this will be passed on as an heirloom-my middle son has already become a watch-person.
butlersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 03:48 AM   #79
kevinchew
"TRF" Member

I'm in my mid 40's and never really wore a watch before. I always admired Rolex's, particularly the SS Sub Date. I thought about buying the Tag AquaRacer for it's streamlined looks and reasonable price tag. But then I though about how well I've done with my career and personal "Attainment" in the albeit superficial/temporal world of job, money, house and all the crap that modern society measures us by.

Then last month in the land of plastic, excessive crap known as Vegas, I decided to succumb to my inner voice and buy the SS Sub Date at “Be Jeweled” in the Mandalay Bay.

I must say that although it certainly doesn’t make me a better person, it does give me small sense that I have “arrived” and as the world seemingly collapses around us in some sort of Dante fueled abyss of $4.50/gallon gas, Sub-Prime meltdown and a general lack of leadership and confidence in our executive politicians, this watch gives me a small degree of solace in an otherwise turbulent world.

I love looking at it, touching it, admiring its classic lines and steady ticking.

What I love most about it is knowing that I’ve made an investment that I someday hope to give to my son.
kevinchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 06:07 AM   #80
darwin1992
"TRF" Member

Icon12 Sub verses Seamaster

Ok Well like all of you guys I have owned many watches in my time. Started with a Tag 2000 chronograph. A great watch and very reliable. Not a big fan of quartz though as the service costs when you get a new battery is crazy. Then had a Bulgari solotempo. Very elegant dress watch but not a watchmakers watch. Had an IWC aquatimer. Very good watch indeed but just too big for my little wrists I then got drawn into the 'bond theme' so i went for a Seamaster. A great watch indeed and value for money. Beautifully made and great co-axel moverment. My issue with it would be the bezel can chip easily for a water-made watch. The pins in the strap can wear down rather quickly and it is very heavy.

I then brought and have kept the rolex explorer II with the black face. A beautiful watch as well. Hardly ever seen on a persons wrist so it has that 'cool' value I wear it to work and around the house etc and I can't fault it at all.

You would think I would be happy with that but Noooo. I went and brought a Sub non date! Why? Well to be honest I want to travel a lot in a couple of years and I like to surf, swim, sail etc so I though the best all round watch for any purpose would be this one. It is a classic for any age or time and looks good regardless of what your doing. A lot of people think of buying a rolex for the resale value. I couldn't care less about that. A watch to me is a part of my own life and carries the memories of all the crazy things i have done. I cherish the little scratches and scuffs as they all tell a story.

Guess what I am trying to say is buy a watch, not for what its worth in years to come but for what it means to you now
darwin1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 06:09 AM   #81
darwin1992
"TRF" Member

A sub all the way!
Old 19 June 2008, 06:13 AM   #82
darwin1992
"TRF" Member

I have an Explorer II black face and Sub non date and I have owned the Seamaster. No question rolex are better. The seamaster was great but the blue bezel does chip far to easy and the pins on the strap wear down very quickly. Bond has helped bring the watch back to life and it deserves it's time in the sun but both the explorer and sub are just streets ahead in my opinion. Don't think about resale. Think about the memories it will give you wearing it. I love looking at mine with all its little scuffs and scratches that all tell a story!
Old 19 June 2008, 06:25 AM   #83
stanislav

I was considering Omega AT Mid, then I saw Exp 1, I tried it on and I knew it was mine, I liked it much better than the AT, I never regret my choice
stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 08:00 AM   #84
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

I am 62 and held off all my life getting a Rolex. I felt they were too expensive and for Las Vegas Millionaires. Then I bought a Sub. Don't know why I waited so long. I am now just waiting to see what other Rollie I can buy. I would not buy anything else now that I have one.
looking to buy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2008, 04:44 AM   #85
darwin1992
"TRF" Member

I know a lot of people when trying on a Rolex feel the watch is a bit light. I myself did when i first tried mine on. My other watch at the time was an Omega seamaster bond watch which is very heavy. However once you get used to the weight it really does feel like it belongs on your wrist and both the Explorer II and Sub are iconic watches with a great history. There are many other makes such as Patek Phillipe or IWC which some would say are superior makes but no watch I have tried on feels quite as good as a Rolex
Old 20 June 2008, 05:13 AM   #86
richc1958
Banned

As one old jeweler once told me many years ago you can sell your Rolex almost anywhere in the world if you find yourself in need of cash. In my opinion that says a ton about the world wide appeal of the Name ROLEX.
richc1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2008, 05:30 AM   #87
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

hey darwin1992 i have been wearing my bond seamaster for 6 years and thought that the face was small at times seeing so many breitlings floating around. Then I recently bought a gmt coke II and thought damn this thing looks small and feels so much lighter than my seamaster. I know realized that my bond is a big and heavy watch but I still love both.
wrxsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2008, 04:36 AM   #88
darwin1992
"TRF" Member

Yeah the seamaster is a great watch but its not until you try on a sub, sea dweller, explorer etc. that you truly appreciate how dam nice these watches are. I love my Sub no date and my Explorer II. Would I go back to a planet ocean or seamaster.. Def not! They are very good watches, but not GREAT watches. There is so much difference when you actually wear one. I keep reminding myself that Bond first wore a Sub so class never goes out of fashion lol
Old 24 June 2008, 07:29 AM   #89
kevinchew
"TRF" Member

Treat Yourself to a little Bit of Zen

I held off for a long time, I’m in my mid 40’s, before purchasing my first Rolex. I always had some excuse to wait. I’ve always felt that denial was good for the soul. But now I can say, I love my SS Date Sub.

I was never really a “watch guy” and always thought it was ludicrous for people to be judging other people by any measure other than the character of their heart. But in this crazy world we live in where so much of our anxieties and social pressures are placed upon us without us having a say, it gives me solace and comfort with its classic elegance, smooth steel, steady ticking and almost Zen like qualities.

I’m glad I bought it. I hope to pass it to my son someday.
kevinchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2008, 07:35 AM   #90
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
There IS something zen like about a SS Rolex with a black dial.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote