The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 22 July 2014, 11:40 PM   #1
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Icon10 Mont Blanc Midnight Blue with 3 nibs/2 Pens, and three different writing papers

Hello. I am most impressed with this ink. It looks absolutely beautiful, dries relatively quickly.

I understand that other reviewers will test the waterproofing, the smudging.

I am here to do my reviews with two pens, three nib sizes/types, and three excellent types of writing paper.

Although I may not be the only one, but all of my reviews will be done left-handed.

I won't test on plain white paper as this would of already been done in previous reviews.

Overall it may sound logical, but I actually find it much smooth to write with my Mont Blanc Meisterstuck LeGrand 90th Anniversary.

Thing is that the nib is a 18ct Rose Gold plated nib, where as the Lamy pens tested are not.

The nib will still make a difference in the actual output of the writing even if the nibs are of the same type.

I am still quite novice in my penmanship and calligraphy, but I am working hard to improve on it.

For the time-being I absolutely enjoy writing with my Mont Blanc Meisterstuck LeGrand 90th Anniversary, with this ink.

It is not too dark, and you can definately see the blue. It's more extravagant than any form of black ink.

the G-Lalo Verge DE France range of writing paper is absolutely incredible to write on. It is much more pricey than most other paper.

It is thicker, and is particually made of cloth.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MontBlancMidnightBlue01a.jpg (272.3 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg MontBlancMidnightBlue02a.jpg (281.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg MontBlancMidnightBlue03a.jpg (290.8 KB, 170 views)
Mont Blanc Starwalker Red Gold Fineliner & Mech Pencil
Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Red Gold 90th Anniv FPen

Last edited by Bling72; 22 July 2014 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Add photos
Bling72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bling72 View Post
Overall it may sound logical, but I actually find it much smooth to write with my Mont Blanc Meisterstuck LeGrand 90th Anniversary.

Thing is that the nib is a 18ct Rose Gold plated nib.....
Thanks for the review of the ink. I like the look of it too.

I am interested in your statement that the 90th Anniversary nib is only 18ct plated. According to my information from Montblanc the nib is 18K solid rose gold and not merely plated.

However, Montblanc did inform me that the rings on the cap and barrel together with the clip are 18k Rose Gold plated....

Am I wrong, are you privy to some information which may clarify this situation?

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 01:28 PM   #3
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Thanks.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 11:08 PM   #4
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Hello, ok I will find out on my next visit to Mont Blanc, which is normally on a Saturday or Friday.

I just love their range, but need to save my money for their new range of pens (whenever that is).

Some of the inks are unavailable at the moment, even the ones that are relatively new.

Well I'm not going to run out of ink in a hurry but... since all of their inks are 'organic', plus they have a used by date, you can't keep them stored and unused indefinately.

Only overstock if you intend to use it or trade it.
Old 25 July 2014, 02:45 PM   #5
Rusty888
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc BLNR
I must admit I didnt like the Midnight Blue at first. However when I get my Starwalker Midnight Metal with F nib back I will certainly try it out again.
Rusty888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Well keep in mind the colour of the ink is more suitable on some coloured paper over other colours. So on white, this ink stands out, like a making an important statement.

It's I wouldn't necessarily corporate, but formal. This is a kind of colour on white paper that brings the reader to attention. It's lively and you can definately see it.

I do also like the Mont Blanc Red Chalk, it's a lighter, more subtle colour, but althrough it is quite visible on white paper, it definately is better on a brown, red, kind of colour range paper.
Old 28 July 2014, 09:22 PM   #7
Bling72
"TRF" Member

hi Rusty. Something wrong with either my account or yours. I cannot send a message to you directly.

Hi bud.

If you're in the Perth area, bring some inks that you opened up, bring some of your pens, we'll catch up in the city or something and take a look at the pens and inks.

I haven't met a pen enthuisiast in Perth yet.

I do visit both of the major pen stores in the CBD and they are both very helpful with products I have purchased from them.

Can catch up South of the River if that is nearer for you.

EG.
Old 2 August 2014, 01:37 AM   #8
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Last week Paradise Pen's, they are a chain of stores across America( www.paradisepen.com ), had a 20% off sale on most of their writing instruments and accessories. So of course I had to make a road trip up to their store in Oak Brook, Illinois(where there is an outdoor mMall). I ended up buying a Namiki-Pilot Justus 95 Fountain pen. It was calling to me to buy it so I tested the pen and bought it. It has an adjustable 14K Nib which can be adjusted from Firm(they call it "H" for Hard) all the way to a Flexible Nib(which they call "S" for Soft) which also changes the width of the stroke...in doing so. The FP is black with a yellow gold 14K Nib and uses Cartridges or the supplied Converter. I also bought two bottles of MontBlanc's 90th Anniversary special gray ink but have not checked the ink out as of yet. While I was there they also swapped out my unused Medium Nib for the Namiki-Pilot Vanishing Point FP to a Nib which is extra-fine. I am one "Happy Camper" with the Justus 95 and the Vanishing Point and have been enjoying writing with both pens......

If you have a chance check out this new introduction of the Justus 95 as you can set it anywhere between "H" and "S" by twisting the Nib Grip Sectionmechanism. They had introduced this type/concept of Fountain pen back in the 1980's but with it's new release they have upgraded the FP and refined the mechanism. I decided to fill the converter with MontBlanc's Toffee Brown which to me is a very cool color.....

Take care.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2014, 01:46 AM   #9
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Bottled Fountain Pen Inks:

Question for those who are way more knowledgable with Fountain pens and Bottled Inks then myself...if you keep new bottles of ink sealed and never opened do they have a shortened shelf life? I would think that bottled inks if stored cool and dry would not go bad or deteriorate but of course I have no idea. Anyways please let me know what you know so we can all learn from those members with more experience as I have only been using Fountain pens for 5 years...Thank!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2014, 03:39 AM   #10
Bling72
"TRF" Member

The Mont Blanc inks are organic, and ideally must be stored in a dark, dry, cool place, whether they are being used or not. Anything organic deteriorates - PERIOD. No process on this planet will stop the deterioration. It all goes off eventually. When the bottle is opened you have three months to use the ink. If you keep it unopened you check the sticker on the box or bottle which will tell you the expiry date.

If you choose to keep using the inks after the dates is obviously up to you, a few days after is likely to be ok. But months after I wouldn't risk a $500 or $2k pens and nibs being ruined because you didn't want to replace your $15 bottle of ink.

Seriously one has to not be allowed to have pens to ruin pens because using expired ink.

Being in the US ink is relatively cheaper than in Australia, plus supply is much more available than in Australia. Also more brands available, more shops, so it's not all doom and gloom. There's always new inks coming out anyway.

There are some inks that don't have expiry dates on the box, but the three month rule after opening the bottle, maybe it doesn't have to be three months, but I wouldn't personally go back to a bottle I opened 2 years ago.

I just paid too much for my Mont Blanc, and no cheap ink is going to ruin my pen and needing to pay $400 to repair.

Anyone with expensive pens just shouldn't be treating them like cheap ones. The vintage ones even more so, even if you had them insured, what is the chance of getting the same original parts or nib? Just won't be the same.

If you have a plan to stash away many bottles, whatever you buy today the bottles are good for 2-4 years max. on the one remaining year is a good time to sit down and work out, ok am I going to open these puppies and use them ? or will I sell/trade them?

By then they will be worth more because it's likely they are discontinued. I see no logic in stocking up on inks that are not limited edition.

The composition of the fountain pen inks break down inside the bottle, so you will be effectively putting in sub-standard ink into your pen. That is regardless where the ink is from and how much you paid for it.

This is not taking into account the ink you already had in your pen for weeks, months, years that has dried up somewhere in the pistons or resevoir. Some people advise if you are not using the ink in your pen and it is still relatively fresh, empty the pen of ink back into the bottle. If it is not fresh, still empty the pen, and clean/flush the pen, keep the resevoir empty, and the nib abolutely immaculate until you are ready to use your pen again.

That is not advise neccessarily from FP experts or pen shops, that is simply common sense.

It is like driving a car around with oil that you never will change. It will still work, but what is that oil doing to your engine? The engine is the expensive part, the oil is the cheap part.

I lost count how many people are happy to keep their ink in their pens for years and use inks that expired many years ago, well they are not your pens, it is theirs. Just because their pens haven't required any servicing, attention or even a look at does not mean your pens can't get ruined by stale ink.

I seriously have no sympathy for people who ruin their expensive pens by refusing to stop using their expired cheap ink.

It is a democracy and people will do what they want because it is their choice, but for heaven's sake, just don't give rubbish advice about there is nothing wrong using expired stale cheap ink, and there is no need to clean/flush out ink, let it dry in the pen etc...

The shops and ink companies don't advise any of that, do we all seriously beleive that it is just marketing, and that they say this to just make you buy more ink ?

If any of you read up more about the brands of inks, some will advise to stay away from some particular brands because of the composition of the inks. I wouldn't dismiss the advice of these sources.

It is worth your time and money to find out the composition of the inks to ensure that they will not ruin your pen.

If you buy a brand new pen and it has a warranty, that warranty normally is voided for free repair IF they find that non-genuine or a different brand of ink is found in the pen when repair/servicing is taking place. Of course one shouldn't be pressured or forced to use only that brand of ink, but there is merit on at least checking the composition of the other brand inks. The company you buy the new pen from they know their own inks that's fair call. They don't know the composition of their competitors. The pen companies do not need your business to buy their inks, they want you to buy their pens.

The inks is for your convenience, they don't force you to sign a paper saying that you must use their ink haha. However they are just being polite to word what the warranty actually covers and if you ruin your pen using another branded ink, they will charge you to repair it. Not their fault you choose to use another ink.

Apart from never using the pen, you paid good hard earned money for your lovely pen(s), if you wish to keep it in as good of condition as possible, there's steps to do the right thing.