The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 March 2008, 04:20 AM   #1
berry

Help Changing Time

Hi Guys!

I'm having a teeny, teeny problem changing time on a no-date ladies watch. Although my Rolex is not new, I'm just lacking experience changing the time to daylight savings. I think I've only done it 5 X the most. I know I have to push down and turn, but afterwards, I forgot. I feel like a dummy. It's a good thing, it's not a datejust or I'll be in double trouble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (29.1 KB, 348 views)
berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 04:22 AM   #2
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
Unscrew the stem , pull all the way out, turn clockwise advancing the hour hand 1 hour and reset to exact time...maybe I'm missing something?
R
ROGERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 04:27 AM   #3
berry

I pulled it out but it won't turn clockwise. Do you think it's broken?
Old 11 March 2008, 04:29 AM   #4
berry

Last night, I pull it and starting turning but I did noticed the second hand was moving while I was turning. Did I damaged it?
Old 11 March 2008, 04:48 AM   #5
berry

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Here's a helpful link:

http://www.howardfrum.com/watch_care.htm

Old 12 March 2008, 01:12 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry View Post
Nevermind, I figured it out.

Glad you got it figured out..

Great looking watch
Old 11 March 2008, 08:47 PM   #7
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Look, it's perfectly simple.

Let's take the example that you want to set you watch at PRECISELY 11 o'clock AM on the 27th. of May 2007.

Take the following steps:

1) Unscrew the winding crown counterclockwise. Two or three turns, and then the winding crown should "pop out" in the "winding position". If not, make SURE that the winding crown is free of the threads before winding the watch. Reason: if you turn the winding crown clockwise while it is still on the threads and if you are NOT pushing the winding crown inward whilst turning it, you might damage the threads. So again: Make sure that the winding crown is free of the threads before winding the watch!

2) Now you give your watch at LEAST 30-40 FULL windings by the crown. Wind the watch by turning the crown CLOCKWISE and NOT "back and forth" as some do! The reason to wind the watch manually when it has stopped: That way you make sure that the watch is FULLY wound and will have its full power reserve. By just "shaking it to get it going" you will NOT get the full power reserve. Do not be afraid of "over-winding" the watch (there is a safety catch to prevent over winding), but about 30 full windings should be enough.

3) IMPORTANT STEP! Remember that our example states that you want to get your watch going at 11 AM (in the "morning")??

What you do BEFORE MOVING THE HANDS is to pull out the winding crown FULLY (time setting position) and then you turn the hands to make SURE that both the hour hand and minute hand stand at FIVE OR SIX o'clock!
Reason: the date change mechanism (date-wheel) could be harmed if you change the date MANUALLY during the period from 21 to 01 o'clock. So by setting the hour and minute hand well off that period is strongly advised.

4) (now back to the date): Push the winding crown back to the SECOND notch (date change notch) and then advance the date MANUALLY via the winding crown until you reach the date of YESTERDAY (in our example: the 26th. of May).

5) Then you - once again - pull out the winding crown to the LAST notch (time setting position) and stop the seconds hand (that is now running since you have wound the watch manually!) at EXACTLY 12 o'clock (easier now to synchronise with another watch!).

6) Then you advance the hands by turning the winding crown clockwise. Keep a close eye on the date window as you advance the hands!. IF the date changes at midnight to the date of our example then you will have to advance the hands another 11 hours so that the date will change correctly at next midnight. If the date does NOT change, you have to advance the hands accordingly.

7) If you want to make the minute hand points EXACTLY on the given minute when the seconds hand has reached "12" (or "60" seconds), then you must know that there is some "play" in the hands.
So if you just set the minute hand according to our example (EXACTLY 11 AM so that the minute hand will point exactly on the 12) then you will notice that by "one minute past 11 AM" the minute hand will NOT (or probably not!) point EXACTLY and spot on on the minute but rather somewhat (like 15 seconds) PAST it due to the "play" in the hands!

Solution: Following the example, turn the minute hand approximately TEN minutes PAST "11 AM" and then turn the minute hand BACK again to the EXACT time (hour hand point at "11" and minute and seconds hand pointing - exactly - on "12"). Then - EVER SO GENTLY - turn the winding crown clockwise so that the minute hand actually points a bit (like "15 seconds" PAST the full minute marker). That way you adjusted to the "play" of the minute hand, and the minute hand will point EXACTLY on the minute next time the seconds hand reaches "twelve".

8) When you have wound the watch, set the time and date, screw the winding crown back so that the watch is once again waterproof. By the way: You do not have to screw it very hard onto the case. As soon as you feel some resistance, stop using more force on the crown."

(from the FAQ's).

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Great info Bo except Berry's watch is a no date model.

I tried your method but by the time I got to item 8) it was three minutes slow again.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2008, 12:45 AM   #9
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Don't bother changing it. You will just have to change it back in the fall. This way, you will never be late for anything for the next six months!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2008, 01:10 AM   #10
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
Don't bother changing it. You will just have to change it back in the fall. This way, you will never be late for anything for the next six months!
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote