The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 January 2017, 06:12 AM   #1
Vintage_6694
"TRF" Member

Icon20 1964 Oyster Date 6694 No date Magnifier:/

Dear Members,

I got my Grand Father's Rolex today. It is a Oyster Date Ref:6694 it has the 64' date written on case back. My question is:

This watch does not have a Date Magnifier. Does this mean the glass has been changed or are there models without the date magnifier?

Thank You for reading.
Vintage_6694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 08:55 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Not a factory option for the 6694. At some point someone replaced the crystal. Is the crystal domed? Sometimes a crystal without the magnifier is an added bonus, especially if domed. It just comes down to personal preference. If you dont like it, correct crystals are easily obtainable.
Old 14 January 2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
Welcome to the forum.

Your grandfather watch has a Rolex Tropic 12 or T12 (without the magnifier). Its Cyclops (with magnifier) equivalent is the 108. If you ever wanted to chance the crystal to a Cyclops, you would need Rolex crystal number 108.
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 08:24 PM   #4
Vintage_6694
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Not a factory option for the 6694. At some point someone replaced the crystal. Is the crystal domed? Sometimes a crystal without the magnifier is an added bonus, especially if domed. It just comes down to personal preference. If you dont like it, correct crystals are easily obtainable.
Thank You for your reply! Yes it is domed. But has some deep scratches so probably needs changing.
Old 14 January 2017, 08:25 PM   #5
Vintage_6694
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamone View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Your grandfather watch has a Rolex Tropic 12 or T12 (without the magnifier). Its Cyclops (with magnifier) equivalent is the 108. If you ever wanted to chance the crystal to a Cyclops, you would need Rolex crystal number 108.
Thanks for the information. I think i will just get a new T12 then looks good on it.
Old 14 January 2017, 11:29 PM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Can you post some photos of the watch?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 07:15 PM   #7
Vintage_6694
"TRF" Member

Sure, here are some pictures

Sure! Here are a few images.

I am pretty sure the bracelet is not the original that accompanied the watch, But the movement, case back dial, hands etc seem authentic and it works near perfectly even after so many years.

It did gain about 4 minutes over night. Should i get it serviced? and what is the best way to get rid of the scratches on the case, they're not that deep. I plan on getting a nice leather strap to go with it. Any idea where to get a good vintage looking strap?

Thank You!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3311[2].jpg (61.2 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3300[1].jpg (57.2 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3297[1].jpg (64.9 KB, 213 views)
Old 15 January 2017, 11:27 PM   #8
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

That's a beautiful piece. That said I think that crystal is cracked at 12 and the movement looks like it can use a good cleaning. And gaining 4 minutes overnight is WAY off spec.

Here's my '84 6694, just serviced by RSC a couple months ago and gains 3 sec a day. Crystal, along with crown/tube, gaskets were all replaced to guarantee WR.

Maybe it's just me but I think the Oysterdate looks better with the signature Cyclops...

a watch is meant to be worn
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 03:01 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_6694 View Post
Sure! Here are a few images.

I am pretty sure the bracelet is not the original that accompanied the watch, But the movement, case back dial, hands etc seem authentic and it works near perfectly even after so many years.

It did gain about 4 minutes over night. Should i get it serviced? and what is the best way to get rid of the scratches on the case, they're not that deep. I plan on getting a nice leather strap to go with it. Any idea where to get a good vintage looking strap?

Thank You!
Beautiful, original Oysterdate! (Bracelet is definitely aftermarket.) I'd have the watch serviced, replace the crystal and slap a nice black or brown leather or gator strap on it. I'd leave everything else alone and would not polish the case at all. (I'd maybe polish the bezel if the scratches really bug you, but I wouldn't touch the case.)

If you're looking for a vintage-style strap you could check out the accessories section on the sales forum here. There are some nice options. Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 05:47 PM   #10
Vintage_6694
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Beautiful, original Oysterdate! (Bracelet is definitely aftermarket.) I'd have the watch serviced, replace the crystal and slap a nice black or brown leather or gator strap on it. I'd leave everything else alone and would not polish the case at all. (I'd maybe polish the bezel if the scratches really bug you, but I wouldn't touch the case.)

If you're looking for a vintage-style strap you could check out the accessories section on the sales forum here. There are some nice options. Good luck!
Thank You for the advice! I was thinking along the same lines. Will definitely post some pictures after I am done with it.
Old 16 January 2017, 08:23 PM   #11
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
That's a beautiful piece. That said I think that crystal is cracked at 12 and the movement looks like it can use a good cleaning. And gaining 4 minutes overnight is WAY off spec.

Here's my '84 6694, just serviced by RSC a couple months ago and gains 3 sec a day. Crystal, along with crown/tube, gaskets were all replaced to guarantee WR.

Maybe it's just me but I think the Oysterdate looks better with the signature Cyclops...

timeless classic, very nice
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 11:02 PM   #12
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
timeless classic, very nice
Thanks mate

mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 10:57 AM   #13
Douglas9700
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Subs
Congratulations on your 6694-I am sure your Grandfather takes pride in knowing you value it. I have one too (wish it had come from a family member) and they are spectacular watches - enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0219.JPG (92.0 KB, 128 views)
Douglas9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 08:36 PM   #14
Vintage_6694
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Elegant! where did you get the strap from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas9700 View Post
Congratulations on your 6694-I am sure your Grandfather takes pride in knowing you value it. I have one too (wish it had come from a family member) and they are spectacular watches - enjoy!
That is a beautiful piece. I love that strap with those links, I am looking for something similar.
Old 19 January 2017, 09:32 AM   #15
Douglas9700
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Subs
Thank you, the strap is just an `istrap` from amazon, really inexpensive. I have them on several watches and they wear great and look like a lot more. The leather strap endlinks I found on ebay. It's really hard to find endlinks for these models and they were a perfect fit/very reasonable. pm me if you need anymore info-happy to help. Having one of these watches from your Grandfather is a treasure!
Douglas9700 is offline   Reply With Quote