The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 May 2014, 05:52 PM   #1
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner
Please show your 5513 swiss only dial

Please if you can supply a photo off your 5513 with a swiss only dial and the year off manufacture as there are so many variants off the 5513 dial id like to see swiss only dials as these are far and few between thanks
One thing i have noticed,this could mean nothing but most off the rsc dials are fitted to late 5513s, was there some issue with the dials at this time and a few years later had to be replaced with rsc dial??? or is this just coincidence
I also note that the rsc dials do exist and has been installed in 5513s mine also but???

Hi everyone will the first thing i have learnt in the last few days is that my dial cannot be luminova if it was on my 5513 in 88/89 as luminova did not come out until 92/93 if it is tritium then thats a different story.If the dial was rsc dial and installed at a later date after 93 then it is a luminova dial.
I did read and i could be wrong that rikki the watch tech had mentioned in a post somewhere that rolex did install some swiss only dials in the late 80s on the 5513 this was rare but did happen,unfortunately at this stage i cannot get hold off rikki to confirm this,unless someone else has seen his posting,please let us know.
Im very happy with my 5513 but the dial always bugs me as the previous owner who had it from new said it never had a dial change also with some more research i had questioned some sellers about their swiss only dial and they also state they are original, mind you if it had white surrounds and was changed with a rsc dial maybe the average person may not notice this.
Why would you change the dial on a watch that was made in late 88/89 with a new dial surely rolex would not do this unless it was in bad shape or would they??
Hope some off you respond Thanks :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55132.JPG (144.7 KB, 1137 views)
myonlyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I know we went through this by PM, but just for the record: A 'Swiss'-only dial on a 5513 must be a Luminova service dial replacement, fitted from about 1998 onwards. Luminova was not available during the 5513 production era.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2014, 06:25 PM   #3
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

Thanks adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I know we went through this by PM, but just for the record: A 'Swiss'-only dial on a 5513 must be a Luminova service dial replacement, fitted from about 1998 onwards. Luminova was not available during the 5513 production era.
Old 5 May 2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast

Hands may well have been changed at service, too. Do dial and hands glow in the dark?
Old 6 May 2014, 05:12 PM   #5
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

yes

Quote:
Hands may well have been changed at service, too. Do dial and hands glow in the dark?
Old 6 May 2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast

So, you have service dial and hands.
Old 6 May 2014, 11:00 PM   #7
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Def service dial, hands and insert. Nothing wrong with that at all. still a beautiful watch.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 11:13 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast

How can you tell it is a service insert Kevin, and would you say that mine had one, too? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.0 KB, 1025 views)
Old 6 May 2014, 11:23 PM   #9
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

i seen this picture posted yesterday. Hope it helps. You can usually tell if its a service insert by the skinny font and luminova pearl. And typically if they replaced the dial and hands they will replace the insert as well.

what year is your watch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inserts.jpg (186.3 KB, 1014 views)
Old 6 May 2014, 11:28 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast

Hmm...mine had the pearl replaced with the hands/dial at RSC. Reckon (hope) the insert is original...maybe a mk3? L serial.
Old 7 May 2014, 12:09 AM   #11
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmm...mine had the pearl replaced with the hands/dial at RSC. Reckon (hope) the insert is original...maybe a mk3? L serial.
i wish i could help more but im not familiar enough with your model. It could very well be original. Im used to seeing old 1680s with fat font inserts. Yours does appear to have thicker font then the OP's. Hopefully a expert can help u better then i can. sorry
Old 7 May 2014, 08:46 AM   #12
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies more photos please:)
ALSO Rikki has advised me he did not make the comment re dials, apologies to Rikki.
Old 7 May 2014, 11:51 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The first luminova dials were marked "SWISS" from 1998-1999, therefore not all "SWISS" dials are service dials. Tritium was used up until these luminova "SWISS" dials started to appear.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2014, 12:27 PM   #14
Rolex33020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rolex33020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2014, 01:07 PM   #15
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The first luminova dials were marked "SWISS" from 1998-1999, therefore not all "SWISS" dials are service dials. Tritium was used up until these luminova "SWISS" dials started to appear.
Yes, that should have been mentioned earlier, too, but in the OP's case, he's definitely got a service dial. Also, it looks to me like there might be some bubbling on the dial around the 6 & 7 markers.
Old 7 May 2014, 07:16 PM   #16
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

I just checked that bubbling just bad photography :)

Quote:
Yes, that should have been mentioned earlier, too, but in the OP's case, he's definitely got a service dial. Also, it looks to me like there might be some bubbling on the dial around the 6 & 7 markers.
Old 7 May 2014, 07:17 PM   #17
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

yes very nice :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
Def service dial, hands and insert. Nothing wrong with that at all. still a beautiful watch.
Old 9 May 2014, 08:59 AM   #18
Rolex33020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex33020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2014, 09:58 AM   #19
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

Looks like these swiss only dials, whether they be installed from manufacture or are a rsc dials are rare,as there are only two posting with swiss only dials also know one has come up with any suggestions why nearly all off these dials are on later versions of the 5513 eg the 80s, More 5513 swiss only dial Please
Old 9 May 2014, 10:09 AM   #20
Old Expat Beast

5513 Dials before the 1980s were matt dials without the wg surrounds, so would be replaced with something different to the glossy Swiss-only like yours.
Old 9 May 2014, 11:00 AM   #21
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

ok understood but most off the postings I have seen are in relation to late 5513s with rsc dials I have not seen a posting re a early matt replacement dail ??
Quote:
5513 Dials before the 1980s were matt dials without the wg surrounds, so would be replaced with something different to the glossy Swiss-only like yours.
Old 9 May 2014, 11:07 AM   #22
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by myonlyrolex View Post
ok understood but most off the postings I have seen are in relation to late 5513s with rsc dials I have not seen a posting re a early matt replacement dail ??
People are less likely to replace matt dials, even if slightly damaged, as they are more vintage/collectible. Gloss dials on 5513 are not that desirable (yet), so replacing them with service dials is not such a big decision.
Old 12 May 2014, 06:24 PM   #23
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

well guys and gals a little disappointed that no one else is willing to show their 5513 swiss only dials ):
Old 16 May 2014, 11:47 AM   #24
cps275
"TRF" Member

Watch: Thunderbird
5513 service dials gloss only

Quote:
Originally Posted by myonlyrolex View Post
I asked about this on another forum, and the general consensus was that there are only gloss / WG service dials for the 5513 because the reference changed from matte to gloss during it's life. ie the service dial is always the same as the last dial issued before the watch was discontinued. So there are matte service dials for the 5512, 1680, 1665 and 1675, but not for the 5513, 16800 or 16750, as these were first issued with matte, but later gloss. Hope that helps.

Chris
cps275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 09:42 AM   #25
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps275 View Post
I asked about this on another forum, and the general consensus was that there are only gloss / WG service dials for the 5513 because the reference changed from matte to gloss during it's life. ie the service dial is always the same as the last dial issued before the watch was discontinued. So there are matte service dials for the 5512, 1680, 1665 and 1675, but not for the 5513, 16800 or 16750, as these were first issued with matte, but later gloss. Hope that helps.

Chris
HI chris thanks for the info i have seen many photos off different 5513s that are original and look like new but is seem for some reason that all the late 5513 that get a rsc service ,seem to get the dials changed perhaps its a rolex service feature overhaul everything even if it does not need it unless the customer states other wise :) oh well pity no one else showed their swiss only dials :(never mind still lots off fun :)
Old 17 May 2014, 10:13 PM   #26
964RS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Something vintage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
....and not all Swiss-T<25 dials are Tritium!!

Although in this case the OP's watch has a lumi service dial, hands and insert.
964RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 07:00 PM   #27
Mitcho28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
I was just gonna post this in the sales forum, figured might as well post it here for reference.

Mitcho28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 08:10 PM   #28
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitcho28 View Post
I was just gonna post this in the sales forum, figured might as well post it here for reference.

In your ad you seem to say that Swiss only dials were fitted to the later 5513s as standard. This is wrong. Swiss only are luminova dials, introduced around 1998, and the 5513 stopped production around 1990. The later white gold surround dials used on the later 5513s were tritium, and not marked Swiss only. Might want to change your description, as a Swiss only dial on a 5513 can only be a service dial. Thanks.
Old 24 July 2014, 08:29 PM   #29
Mitcho28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
I misunderstood an earlier post. I've corrected the listing. So these were used to replace any 5513 glossy dials that came in after luminova was introduced? Thanks for the correction, that was what I had always thought and that post about other swiss only dials threw me off.
Mitcho28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 08:41 PM   #30
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitcho28 View Post
I misunderstood an earlier post. I've corrected the listing. So these were used to replace any 5513 glossy dials that came in after luminova was introduced? Thanks for the correction, that was what I had always thought and that post about other swiss only dials threw me off.
These Swiss only service dials were used, when needed, to replace tritium dials with white gold surrounds that were on the 5513 for the last few years of production. Similar style, different lume. Also, a dial made back in the 5513 days wouldn't still be glowing brightly like yours.