The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 January 2017, 02:19 AM   #1
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

New Year's Patek Rumor Mill

Happy new year Patek sub-forum readers and I hope you had a wonderful end of year. I wanted to see if we could discuss (for what's it worth....) a few rumors I've been seeing/hearing along the way in 2016, and feel free to add any others you may have come across.

1. Discontinuation of 5131R Enamel World Timer: The rumor is that this reference could be discontinued and Patek may introduce something with no crown guards and in-line with the new 5230 world timer, putting an end to the enamel dialed WTs altogether. Perhaps we should seize the moment and acquire the 5131R now!?

2. New 5170P Manually Wound Chronograph: The rumor is that Patek may release a white or silver dialed chronograph with black subdials (panda) in a platinum case.

3. Discontinuation of 5235 Annual Calendar Regulator: The rumor is that this reference will be discontinued due to production complications. The reference took a fairly large hit (along with other current catalog offerings) in the secondary market but discontinuation could certainly change things.

4. New 5270P Perpetual Calendar Chronograph: The rumor is Patek will release a perpetual calendar chronograph in a platinum case with a black dial (similarly to what was done for the 5970P - a 5271P w/o diamonds).

All just conjecture of course, but fun (to me) nonetheless! All the best.
Old 2 January 2017, 02:55 AM   #2
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
1)I would gladly welcome a 5231 Enamel Dial. If we are nitpicking I never cared for the engraving on the case of the 5131.

2)5170P with a white ENAMEL DIAL would be amazing but I hope they add a tachymeter no matter what they choose.

3) I am one of the few original owners who still have the piece. I paid the original list price $53,600 for this piece and am going down with the ship LOL! Truth be told I absolutely love the reference and see it being appreciated and sought after over time. I have been told personally by London-Paris Salons and HSWA that they did not receive any allocations of this reference in 2016 so it will be interesting to see what happens. Another member had a nice post on a 20 minute conversation he had with Mr Stern and he supposedly admitted that "He went too far with the design of the dial." http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=415185

4) Patekaholic on IG posted a pic from Bob Maron in late December showing this reference with a black Dial and no diamonds so it seems like the next logical variation

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 04:20 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

1) The 5131R will be discontinued for sure whether this year or soon afterwards. However it will be interesting to see if Patek will introduce a 5131P or a 5231 in the newly designed case.

2) The 5170 has been coming out in a new metal every 3 years (2010, 2013, 2016). So I predict the 5170P to be introduced in 2019, although it could be sooner.

3) The 5235 is an interesting watch from many perspectives. It is Patek's first regulator watch and has incorporated more silicon parts than any other Patek watch. Production difficulties have limited its availability. However the unusual regulator dial is not for everyone and the watch appeals mainly to collectors. Existing owners would be happy if the watch was discontinued.

4) You have to wonder if Patek will release a 5270J before the 5270P. YG is not a popular metal at the moment, but it is the most classic/traditional metal color. So I predict that the 5270J will be next, and in smaller numbers compared to the G and R.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 05:01 AM   #4
KarlS
Banned

Nothing to celebrate 40th anniversary of the ultra slim movement? I am hoping for a 5131P!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 05:01 AM   #5
KarlS
Banned

Nothing to celebrate 40th anniversary of the ultra slim movement? I am hoping for a 5131P!
Old 2 January 2017, 05:26 AM   #6
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by

3. [B
Discontinuation of 5235 Annual Calendar Regulator[/B]: The rumor is that this reference will be discontinued due to production complications. The reference took a fairly large hit (along with other current catalog offerings) in the secondary market but discontinuation could certainly change things.
To me.. PP is a company who can restore every reference no matter how old the timepiece maybe n no matter in what kinda condition, just like a true "grand master" in the horological business world.. hence, I really cannot believe when I read n hear rumors about discontinuation due to "production complication". First was the power reserve problem then the dial. This sounds almost like a "fail" from a grand master.

The end product however is something of a true work of art. That dial is so detailed n the movement is so precise.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 05:59 AM   #7
KarlS
Banned

There has to be a blue dial 5205 and possibly a P.
Old 2 January 2017, 06:24 AM   #8
martinr
"TRF" Member

Discontinue the 5980's and do the 5990 in RG.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 06:26 AM   #9
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
To me.. PP is a company who can restore every reference no matter how old the timepiece maybe n no matter in what kinda condition, just like a true "grand master" in the horological business world.. hence, I really cannot believe when I read n hear rumors about discontinuation due to "production complication". First was the power reserve problem then the dial. This sounds almost like a "fail" from a grand master.

The end product however is something of a true work of art. That dial is so detailed n the movement is so precise.
I was told by the Patek rep that it takes twice as much time to make the 5235 vs other Patek Annual Calendars. This may be a big factor in why it may go away sooner than later. My fingers are crossed it is already retired and we don't even know LOL!

Old 2 January 2017, 06:37 AM   #10
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
5.MSRP price drop in the US if $ strenghten further?

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 06:40 AM   #11
KarlS
Banned

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Think it's only appreciated 2% in 2016
Old 2 January 2017, 06:43 AM   #12
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Think it's only appreciated 2% in 2016
we don t know where s Donald will rise the rate

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 06:51 AM   #13
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
This.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 06:57 AM   #14
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
For sure, 2017 will be an exciting time with Patek Philippe!
Old 2 January 2017, 07:12 AM   #15
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
1)I would gladly welcome a 5231 Enamel Dial. If we are nitpicking I never cared for the engraving on the case of the 5131.

2)5170P with a white ENAMEL DIAL would be amazing but I hope they add a tachymeter no matter what they choose.

3) I am one of the few original owners who still have the piece. I paid the original list price $53,600 for this piece and am going down with the ship LOL! Truth be told I absolutely love the reference and see it being appreciated and sought after over time. I have been told personally by London-Paris Salons and HSWA that they did not receive any allocations of this reference in 2016 so it will be interesting to see what happens. Another member had a nice post on a 20 minute conversation he had with Mr Stern and he supposedly admitted that "He went too far with the design of the dial." http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=415185

4) Patekaholic on IG posted a pic from Bob Maron in late December showing this reference with a black Dial and no diamonds so it seems like the next logical variation
thanks my friend. I say hang in there with the Regulator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
1) The 5131R will be discontinued for sure whether this year or soon afterwards. However it will be interesting to see if Patek will introduce a 5131P or a 5231 in the newly designed case.

2) The 5170 has been coming out in a new metal every 3 years (2010, 2013, 2016). So I predict the 5170P to be introduced in 2019, although it could be sooner.

3) The 5235 is an interesting watch from many perspectives. It is Patek's first regulator watch and has incorporated more silicon parts than any other Patek watch. Production difficulties have limited its availability. However the unusual regulator dial is not for everyone and the watch appeals mainly to collectors. Existing owners would be happy if the watch was discontinued.

4) You have to wonder if Patek will release a 5270J before the 5270P. YG is not a popular metal at the moment, but it is the most classic/traditional metal color. So I predict that the 5270J will be next, and in smaller numbers compared to the G and R.
thanks. Yes, it may be pre-mature for yet another 5170 with the releases of last year. Interesting as I hand't even considered a 5270J! Yellow gold seems to be on the out unfortunately (I quite like it for the PCCs - gives it a nice vintage vibe).

Quote:
5131P would be interesting but how to differentiate from the G? One idea I saw somewhere was that the view of the map would be looking down from the north pole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post

Haha... this gave me a good laugh. The regulator is gorgeous and who knows, perhaps the talk of complications with production are all hype by our dealer friends.

Quote:
There has to be a blue dial 5205 and possibly a P.
5205 blue dial has already been released per some other thread here on TRF limited to 30 or so pieces.

Quote:
5980 has already been discontinued. Yes, 5990 in precious metal could come at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Lol.... no more playing around with prices I hope. Really doesn't make us collectors feel very confident, but that's another matter I suppose.
Old 2 January 2017, 07:15 AM   #16
martinr
"TRF" Member

I thought the 5980 1R and AR are still in production. They're in the catalog.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 08:58 AM   #17
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought the 5980 1R and AR are still in production. They're in the catalog.

Yes, sorry I had the 59801a in mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 January 2017, 03:19 AM   #18
Only70Watch
"TRF" Member

5170P: It's too soon, only last year the 5170R was rolled out. The platinum version may come in 2018 or 2019. And no, I don't think it would have a white or silver dial. The more logical choice would be a blue dial version (with matching blue subdials), to separate it further from the existing white dial 5170G. Of course the panda dial may be possible, although I can't seem to recall a past Patek chrono with a panda dial. Mr.Stern may have a surprise up his sleeves, but a panda dial Patek may be too much IMHO.

5270P: I believe it would come only in 2020. Before that, this year or next year we should receive the 5270J with silver dial. But I agree, when the 5270P comes, it should have a black dial to continue the tradition laid down by the amazing 5970P.
Only70Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 03:47 AM   #19
KarlS
Banned

5205 blue dial has already been released per some other thread here on TRF limited to 30 or so pieces.

5205G-011 limited 25 pieces...

5131P like the 175 a anniversary would be cool
Old 3 January 2017, 03:53 AM   #20
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I hope the 5131R is discontinued this year. I wasn't sure whether they'd do a P version or not. I think they could take a break from these for a while and hook up the collectors who ended up getting one.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 04:02 AM   #21
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I hope the 5131R is discontinued this year. I wasn't sure whether they'd do a P version or not. I think they could take a break from these for a while and hook up the collectors who ended up getting one.
You mean they grey dealers who get them, right? JK! (Although I am willing to bet more than half get put up for sale unfortunately)

Old 3 January 2017, 04:37 AM   #22
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
You mean they grey dealers who get them, right? JK! (Although I am willing to bet more than half get put up for sale unfortunately)
There must have been something in the water as more of the 5131Rs have been showing up the last year or so on forums and in owners' hands than with the previous references.

I'm mostly thinking selfishly of course
Old 3 January 2017, 04:54 AM   #23
Starguru
"TRF" Member

I would love to see something like the 5960, but thinner, perhaps by making the piece manual wind. I love the complication set of the 5960, but the thing is just too damn thick for me.

Starguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 04:56 AM   #24
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starguru View Post
I would love to see something like the 5960, but thinner, perhaps by making the piece manual wind. I love the complication set of the 5960, but the thing is just too damn thick for me.

It's pretty thick, I got used to it easily though when switching between my AP Ceramic Diver and the 5960/1A, makes it feel thin.
Old 3 January 2017, 05:35 AM   #25
pamy104
2024 Pledge Member

20th anniversary of the Aquanaut, wonder if it gets a make over...

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
pamy104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 06:11 AM   #26
Only70Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamy104 View Post
20th anniversary of the Aquanaut, wonder if it gets a make over...
It would come only in October I think. And an Aquanaut chrono is quite possible. Maybe an Aquanaut AC too. A simple 5167P would be too boring IMHO :)
Only70Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 08:02 AM   #27
v8plus4
"TRF" Member

Watch: it's complicated
Sign me up for an Aquanaut chrono.
v8plus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 08:05 AM   #28
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8plus4 View Post
Sign me up for an Aquanaut chrono.
that would be interesting as would a Nautilus with a PC

5131P will happen - not sure if it will be next year though.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:52 PM   #29
wesleyvs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Panerai & PP
I heard something about the 5960/1a is discontinued... Any one knows more about this ?

Cheers
wesleyvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 11:13 PM   #30
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
that would be interesting as would a Nautilus with a PC

5131P will happen - not sure if it will be next year though.
Hamish is getting his 5131R per AD this year. So unless pre Basel would imply no change thus year if they still knocking them out but have to say seen a lot more incomings