The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 January 2017, 06:03 AM   #1
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Went by PP Boutique NYC. Today

First off what a pompous place OMG! I went in to try on a 5164 as I'm quite interested in making it my next purchase.I asked about Aquanauts and he starts going into how exclusive PP is and the lists are closed for Aquanauts and Nautilus.
I then had to hear about the waitlists etc. etc. 5 years for the 5711. I casually rolled up my sleeve and revealed my 5711.
I love the change of attitude . He then said, well maybe I can interest you in something else? He didn't offer before.
Not really impressed with the inventory they had anyway. Talked for a minute about my other PP's and walked out.
I called Wempe and they couldn't be nicer. They and my AD in NJ will be getting one in soon for me to see.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

That's too damn funny. I literally almost had the same experience yesterday.

I went in to look at the 5270s, and took my 5131r off, placing it on the table facing me while he displayed the perpetuals and opened the Patek book to show me more details. As he was thumbing through, he passed the page with the 5131s and my girlfriend gave me an ooh and giggled a little.

He admonished her - that's not the one you're getting. Those have a 5 year wait list. I tried to interrupt him, but he talked over me explaining how the lists were basically closed and it was impossible to get one at this point, especially because production likely wouldn't last that long. When he was done, I turned my watch over and showed him the dial, without saying a word.

If I'd had a mic, I would've dropped it.

Still, I got to try on the 5270g (blue dial), and it's incredible. I'm looking forward to buying it from anyone else!
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 06:15 AM   #3
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

I love it!!
Way to put them in their place!
Wempe is awesome AD!

...And especially in NYC, u never know about a person. Cant judge. I could be in shorts and t-shirts and look like a bum but worth $100m. U just never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 06:26 AM   #4
toucan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
I love it!!
Way to put them in their place!
Wempe is awesome AD!

...And especially in NYC, u never know about a person. Cant judge. I could be in shorts and t-shirts and look like a bum but worth $100m. U just never know.

Exactly! I certainly don't look homeless, lol!i was wearing jeans and my Ferragamo's but an unironed white Brioni shirt, but he wouldn't know that . It did look like crap.
Marciano- priceless!
Also any positive or negative feedback on the 5164 ss would be appreciated as well.
Old 13 January 2017, 06:38 AM   #5
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
Exactly! I certainly don't look homeless, lol!i was wearing jeans and my Ferragamo's but an unironed white Brioni shirt, but he wouldn't know that . It did look like crap.
Marciano- priceless!
Also any positive or negative feedback on the 5164 ss would be appreciated as well.
The 5164 is awesome - the case proportions are perfect and it can be worn with a suit as well as on weekends. I think the case dimensions and complication make it a better all round watch versus the 5167.

my PP boutique are you guys referring to the one in Tiffany?
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 06:40 AM   #6
toucan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
The 5164 is awesome - the case proportions are perfect and it can be worn with a suit as well as on weekends. I think the case dimensions and complication make it a better all round watch versus the 5167.

my PP boutique are you guys referring to the one in Tiffany?
Correct!
Old 13 January 2017, 06:49 AM   #7
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Marciano- priceless!
Same - Fendi boots, Cucinelli coat. But tell me more about what I'll never own, then quote me 165 for the piece.
Old 13 January 2017, 06:55 AM   #8
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
I hate it when sales people destroy capitalism.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 07:16 AM   #9
texex91
"TRF" Member

PP NYC, pompous? I don't believe it
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 07:34 AM   #10
toucan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
LMAO. Congrats on the new RM.
Old 13 January 2017, 07:39 AM   #11
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Did they offer you a Diet Coke?
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 07:47 AM   #12
toucan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
They offered me the door and a 5 year waitlist on a 5711. :)
Old 13 January 2017, 07:53 AM   #13
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You should have asked him if they have layaway just to see his reaction...
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 08:03 AM   #14
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You should have asked him if they have layaway just to see his reaction...
Say you have a couple Breitlings and an Omega; ask how much they'd give you in trade.
Old 13 January 2017, 08:19 AM   #15
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I met the guy who is the main salesperson in the NYC Tiffany's at the Patek minute repeater event. All of their harder to get watches go to their friends and major customers. He was with a guy who had every limited piece from Patek you could think of and he got them all from This salesman at Tiffany's.

A walk in does not have a chance in hell. Thankfully there are better AD's to buy from

Old 13 January 2017, 08:26 AM   #16
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
I met the guy who is the main salesperson in the NYC Tiffany's at the Patek minute repeater event. All of their harder to get watches go to their friends and major customers. He was with a guy who had every limited piece from Patek you could think of and he got them all from This salesman at Tiffany's.

A walk in does not have a chance in hell. Thankfully there are better AD's to buy from

I was in the Tiffany's in Atlanta yesterday just to check out the Aquanaut of which they did not have. I'm not sure I would want my Patek to have Tiffany's on the dial. YMMV

I was also at the Tiffany's in New York City four months ago and they were very nice to me. I was wearing a suit however and an AP.

Instagram - patton250
Old 13 January 2017, 08:34 AM   #17
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

The first time I walked in, they were really trying to sell the Tiffany's dial as a value added (that you don't pay a premium for!).

I get that it makes the dial rarer, and that Tiffany's has some gorgeous, high end pieces, but to me it's not in the same league has Patek and detracts from the watch.

Tiffany's is where I would buy my college girlfriends $100 bracelets that they'd go gaga for. Patek I couldn't wrap my mind around until I was a grown man.
Old 13 January 2017, 08:50 AM   #18
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear that but it's not surprising. I've had a similar experience in that boutique more than once. One particular staff member is incredibly dismissive (and has repeatedly demonstrated this attitude).

This kind of thing has happened to me in a number of boutiques and AD's over the 15 years or so that I've been collecting, and actually happened just again last week in The Hour Glass in Ginza. They basically could not get me out of the store quick enough, actually refusing to show me certain pieces which were in the case. It was so bizarre I just had to smile. (I should add that particular event wasn't due to a language barrier).
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 08:52 AM   #19
kdphan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Fitbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post

well done sir
kdphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:32 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
back in the elevator you peasant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Say you have a couple Breitlings and an Omega; ask how much they'd give you in trade.

I've been there a few times. Not bad to check out a couple old watches on display but that's about it. Much better off at wempe or Cellini (no PP though).

It really shows how poorly Patek manages their brand image in regards to customer interactions. Spend an hour in Lange/FPJ/Breguet/VC boutiques and compare that to the experience you get at tiffanys and it's laughable.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:44 AM   #21
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Spend an hour in Lange/FPJ/Breguet/VC boutiques and compare that to the experience you get at tiffanys and it's laughable.
Man you are so right. I have been in those other boutiques and they all treat you very well. I ended up feeling pretty guilty when I didn't buy anything from some of them. That's how good they were.

Instagram - patton250
Old 13 January 2017, 11:24 AM   #22
toucan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Man you are so right. I have been in those other boutiques and they all treat you very well. I ended up feeling pretty guilty when I didn't buy anything from some of them. That's how good they were.
I find AP NYC to be extremely pleasant. Even Omega and IWC are great,really nice spaces.. Omega is so great you can hang out upstairs with refreshments and wifi!
Worst NY RSC and Tourneau.
I should qualify that once I showed my 5711 he got nicer and offered to show me some watches but I became the aloof one then!!!:)
Old 13 January 2017, 01:26 PM   #23
Socal to az
Banned

Glad I found this thread. Going on a trip to NYC this weekend with the family. My girls have tickets to Hamilton. I was going to wear a beater watch and go to the PP boutique but now I just may wear my 5905 discretely and flash it if I get any attitude. ��
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 01:36 PM   #24
toucan
"TRF" Member

Smart and lol !!!! It's a fun walk from 57th and Park - up Madison. Every boutique is there! Slight detour for Rolex and Wempe. Enjoy your visit and hope the family enjoys Hamilton! Lots a clothing in sale is well. Great time to visit.
Old 13 January 2017, 01:45 PM   #25
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 02:05 PM   #26
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I'm going to have to try this out when I go this summer. I dress like a homeless person but I wear nice watches. I expect a Diet Coke with at least 7 ice cubes or I'll complain to Larry and Michael at HSWA.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 02:42 PM   #27
KarlS
Banned

I don't wear fancy watches or suits as I don't feel the need to try and impress the sales staff. In fact I have worn shorts at the London Salon before and even got a cup of coffee. In Geneva I wore jeans and I had fantastic service and even got a cuppicino!! I received awful service at Journe in Geneva but superb at Miami so guess it's just down to the people.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 02:57 PM   #28
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Glad I found this thread. Going on a trip to NYC this weekend with the family. My girls have tickets to Hamilton. I was going to wear a beater watch and go to the PP boutique but now I just may wear my 5905 discretely and flash it if I get any attitude. ��
Just flash the Hamilton tix; those are harder to get than either of our Pateks these days.

Karl - we get it, you're ridiculously good looking and smell amazing. Rub it in.
Old 13 January 2017, 03:02 PM   #29
toucan
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=KarlS;7283780]I don't wear fancy watches or suits as I don't feel the need to try and impress the sales staff. In fact I have worn shorts at the London Salon before and even got a cup of coffee. In Geneva I wore jeans and I had fantastic service and even got a cuppicino!! I received awful service at Journe in Geneva nut superb at Miami so guess it's just down to the people.[/QUOTE
Aren't all your watches fancy?
Old 13 January 2017, 03:04 PM   #30
toucan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I don't wear fancy watches or suits as I don't feel the need to try and impress the sales staff. In fact I have worn shorts at the London Salon before and even got a cup of coffee. In Geneva I wore jeans and I had fantastic service and even got a cuppicino!! I received awful service at Journe in Geneva nut superb at Miami so guess it's just down to the people.
Aren't all your watches fancy?