The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 January 2017, 02:03 PM   #1
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
Service cost advice needed

I sent in my 2 year old aquanaut for service because the brushed bezel was polished and damaged by a reseller and I wanted it perfect.

I am in Canada and was quoted 2400 Canadian (about $1800US) for a full service.

Seems very high no? The bezel is fixable and not being replaced.

Thought? It's at patek in Switzerland. Should I cancel or bite the bullet?
When back I plan to sell it sealed from factory. I have some other pieces in mind.

Thanks

Mitch
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 02:06 PM   #2
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I'm not a Patek owner but given my experience with AP and VC this seems about right. If you want it "perfect" you will have to play by their rules

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 02:20 PM   #3
soundserious
"TRF" Member

That's the price of poker. Try ketchup, goes great with bullets.
Old 14 January 2017, 11:10 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Pricing for service is what it is with Patek. As you know the bezel is fragile-ish so both during wear and whomever you choose to polish it needs to be very careful.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 11:30 PM   #5
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I thought the local AD might be carried away on markup.
Old 15 January 2017, 06:21 AM   #6
PJ S
Banned

^
He possibly could’ve – http://www.patek.com/en/client-service/service-costs – I’ll let you work out the price based on current exchange rates.
For an aquanaut and polishing, I don’t see why it’d be sent to Geneva, when HSWA is closer to hand, and should be well equipped to handle such a task.

As per another thread, maybe it was sent to them, and it’s been sent to Switzerland for a decision to be made on replacing rather than correcting the previous bad work.
Check whether the figure provided is a quote or estimate – presumably Canadian law is similar to the UK’s, in which case the former is binding, the latter is not.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 10:54 AM   #7
josephvman
Banned

I would almost be inclined to sell your 5167 and just buy another new one. You can probably do that for $3k, so only $1,200 more than you'll pay to repair yours. You get a new piece, fresh warranty, and don't need service for another couple of years. I haven't had to send my PP in for service, but based on what I read around here it can take multiple months. That alone would motivate me to punt the watch and just buy another. Much different proposition if we're talking about a 5711, but an Aquanaut is relatively easy to find, and even buy at a discount from an AD, at least here in the states.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 12:05 PM   #8
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
I would almost be inclined to sell your 5167 and just buy another new one. You can probably do that for $3k, so only $1,200 more than you'll pay to repair yours. You get a new piece, fresh warranty, and don't need service for another couple of years. I haven't had to send my PP in for service, but based on what I read around here it can take multiple months. That alone would motivate me to punt the watch and just buy another. Much different proposition if we're talking about a 5711, but an Aquanaut is relatively easy to find, and even buy at a discount from an AD, at least here in the states.
Problem is here in Toronto there is only one dealer, and only a few across Canada. I have never seen an aquanaut or a nautilus in stock and likely won't.

Besides I have my eye on an A Lange & S.
Old 16 January 2017, 12:05 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch105 View Post
Besides I have my eye on an A Lange & S.
Nice choice! Sell the Patek privately now without getting the bezel fixed and then get the ALS. Did the same thing to get a Rolex and loving it! Far better durability for those who are active and more accurate timekeeping too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 07:31 PM   #10
de66
"TRF" Member

Depends what you paid for your watch, and also depends on how bad you think the watch looks.

If you like the watch and think looks so bad to you that you cant live with it, get it done. Perhaps you might decide to keep it :-)

If planning on getting rid of it anyway it may not make sense to get it repaired. You will have to count on some out of pocket losses...

Do you have any pics so we can get a better sense of the "damage"?
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote