The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2017, 12:54 PM   #31
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
I hope it's not true, but does Rolex desire to exterminate all indy CW21 watchmakers with Rolex parts accounts so RSC's are the only option for servicing?
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 01:49 PM   #32
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I know an AD that is also a large seller of Mont Blanc pens. Was also at one time a great seller of Mont Blanc watches. When MB refused (over and over) to give them a parts account and customers waited months on end for simple repairs, they dropped the watches. They have several qualified watchmakers on staff so they are more than capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 02:44 PM   #33
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I must admit I have been thinking about these issues (service) lately in relation to acquiring additional Rolex models (or other comparable brands).
Even with no financial constraints, I would still be a bit reluctant to have too many watches that I know are going to require expensive services on into the future.
I started out thinking I would acquire at least half a dozen, but now I am thinking maybe one more only. Depends on your mind-set I guess.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 04:50 AM   #34
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
example you're a car mechanic qualified on the latest testing equipment which you possess do they have any problems buying whatever parts they need from the dealership I don't think so. I understand that I am in competition with the companies that I have accounts with but I believe the system is set up so no company can have a monopoly on parts and or service ask Kodak they lost a 63 million dollar law suit over this very thing a few years back. Food for thought
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 05:38 AM   #35
Cerachrom12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
example you're a car mechanic qualified on the latest testing equipment which you possess do they have any problems buying whatever parts they need from the dealership I don't think so. I understand that I am in competition with the companies that I have accounts with but I believe the system is set up so no company can have a monopoly on parts and or service ask Kodak they lost a 63 million dollar law suit over this very thing a few years back. Food for thought
I sincerely hope your livelihood is not in jeopardy! Cheers.
Old 20 January 2017, 11:10 AM   #36
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Not a great analogy. The dealership is a franchise and the parts department needs to make a profit just as the maintenance and body work departments do.

A company can have a monopoly on parts it has designed, patented, and manufactured. Guaranteed exclusivity is the whole purpose of a patent. A company with patent protection can license the use of its products to anyone it chooses.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 11:40 AM   #37
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Interesting Rikki. The propriety tools and info we have as a Toyota/VW dealership now by law have to be made available to independent repair facilities. This didn't used to be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 02:38 PM   #38
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
A patent particularly protects the reproduction of a part not its distribution according to law parts must be made available to anyone who wants them. Prior to 1989/90 you could buy Rolex parts from any watch or jewelry supply house ,after that the supply houses were shut down and only watchmakers could buy them. Now only CW 21 watchmakers can purchase parts, when does it end. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 03:02 PM   #39
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Manufacturers wanting to control everything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 03:56 PM   #40
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
A patent particularly protects the reproduction of a part not its distribution according to law parts must be made available to anyone who wants them. Prior to 1989/90 you could buy Rolex parts from any watch or jewelry supply house ,after that the supply houses were shut down and only watchmakers could buy them. Now only CW 21 watchmakers can purchase parts, when does it end. Rikki
i agree that it sucks but its likely a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. but, many brands want to ensure the standard. if a manufacturer makes all OEM parts available to anyone, then by extension, their brand is involved with the overall execution of the work being done.

just like a car company taking the hit for faulty airbags. you don't remember takata, you remember the car you were driving. and, to be even more frank, rolex and the big 5 don't really need independents; they need those indy's to apply to work at the OEM's.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:04 AM   #41
Cerachrom12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
i agree that it sucks but its likely a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. but, many brands want to ensure the standard. if a manufacturer makes all OEM parts available to anyone, then by extension, their brand is involved with the overall execution of the work being done.

just like a car company taking the hit for faulty airbags. you don't remember takata, you remember the car you were driving. and, to be even more frank, rolex and the big 5 don't really need independents; they need those indy's to apply to work at the OEM's.
I can tell you one thing. Without any independent watchmakers in the USA, the service times for RSC would most likely be 6 months or more to have a watch serviced. And if you think the poor QC issues members here report using RSC are bad, wait until there are no independent CW21 watchmakers left. It would be a disaster. I will always use an independent as long as they are in business and support small business over the large corporate balloon.