The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 July 2022, 07:01 AM   #31
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker86 View Post
To call what essentially looks like a happy meal a Swiss made precision watch is laughable.
This!
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 07:38 AM   #32
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
Keeping it sold out like this is ingenious for maintaining buzz and building even more hype -
The buzz that I've been hearing is "screw them, I'm not going to play that game for a $260 watch."

I have a collection of Speedmasters. I thought it would be cool to get some for my wife, daughters, even one for myself.
Hopefully get my daughter more into watches, so she can tolerate my passion. This was a watch that was supposed to be readily available to everyone, that was the whole point of it.
A fun, affordable watch that was easy to buy.

Now it is just a commodity. The antithesis of what it was supposed to be.

I now have no plans on buying it, or a new Omega.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 08:25 AM   #33
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
The buzz that I've been hearing is "screw them, I'm not going to play that game for a $260 watch."

I have a collection of Speedmasters. I thought it would be cool to get some for my wife, daughters, even one for myself.
Hopefully get my daughter more into watches, so she can tolerate my passion. This was a watch that was supposed to be readily available to everyone, that was the whole point of it.
A fun, affordable watch that was easy to buy.

Now it is just a commodity. The antithesis of what it was supposed to be.

I now have no plans on buying it, or a new Omega.

This is just swatch whoring omega to get traffic in swatch stores. Nothing more. It’s not going to make people in the market for a 200 dollar eBay paycheck want a 7k omega one day. Cheap PR at omegas expense.
Old 21 July 2022, 08:01 AM   #34
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Here's a thought I just had. Swatch has much better quality chronos and stainless automatics priced for less than these unobtainable things and they are available right now. What if some of the plan is to get some people to look at these other, better quality alternatives? I bet a lot of these people wouldn't have even stepped into a Swatch boutique otherwise and now they are there, pissed that they wasted their time. A smart salesperson would quietly bring them over to the chronos and automatics and explain how these are actually much nicer and you'll be way happier with them. Plus they are serviceable.

It's a total crock otherwise. Literally their entire catalog is available for sale online, so why not sell these online too? I think it's to direct people into these other pieces. It has to be. Otherwise, what kind of bonehead CEO would totally mess up a campaign?

I originally thought it was a great idea and I wanted the Earth and Pluto. Now I'm totally over it and I think I'm going to build a watch through DIY Watch Club instead. At least that way it will be a fun experience, it will likely be a better quality watch, and I can build it myself. Plus they include nice tools with it. What's not to like?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 09:43 AM   #35
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
Here's a thought I just had. Swatch has much better quality chronos and stainless automatics priced for less than these unobtainable things and they are available right now. What if some of the plan is to get some people to look at these other, better quality alternatives? I bet a lot of these people wouldn't have even stepped into a Swatch boutique otherwise and now they are there, pissed that they wasted their time. A smart salesperson would quietly bring them over to the chronos and automatics and explain how these are actually much nicer and you'll be way happier with them. Plus they are serviceable.

It's a total crock otherwise. Literally their entire catalog is available for sale online, so why not sell these online too? I think it's to direct people into these other pieces. It has to be. Otherwise, what kind of bonehead CEO would totally mess up a campaign?

I originally thought it was a great idea and I wanted the Earth and Pluto. Now I'm totally over it and I think I'm going to build a watch through DIY Watch Club instead. At least that way it will be a fun experience, it will likely be a better quality watch, and I can build it myself. Plus they include nice tools with it. What's not to like?

Yeah but isn’t it like 9 swatch outlets, I dunno it’s a mess. Like you I was like put me down for 2~3 went to store 2x and was like no way. I’m busy busy waiting for Czapek, Rolex, Parmigiani. I’m not waiting for this cheap plastic that stains your arm blue. Got one in Canopus anyways lol
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 12:35 PM   #36
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Everything about the Moonswatch is cringe.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 04:01 PM   #37
watchik
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I no longer have interest in buying a Moonswatch. Vote with your money people, do not support this type of corporate BS marketing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
watchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 02:43 PM   #38
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Yeah but isn’t it like 9 swatch outlets, I dunno it’s a mess. Like you I was like put me down for 2~3 went to store 2x and was like no way. I’m busy busy waiting for Czapek, Rolex, Parmigiani. I’m not waiting for this cheap plastic that stains your arm blue. Got one in Canopus anyways lol
Agreed. I've been waiting for my sub for over 18 months to celebrate a big milestone that came and went in April. I'm putting up with that BS because it's a sub. There's no way I'm putting up with the same level of crap for one of these.

I was at the Vegas Swatch store in March, the day after the release, and of course nothing was available. We have a big Swatch store here at the Mall of America and they said there's no plan for them to offer the Moonswatch here since it's not technically a boutique. That pretty much sealed it for me.

Old 22 July 2022, 09:13 PM   #39
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Everything about Omega is cringe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
Everything about the Moonswatch is cringe.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 09:29 PM   #40
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
Starting to get that feeling.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 11:43 PM   #41
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Starting to get that feeling.
Not vintage Omega IMHO
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 12:05 AM   #42
FTX I
"TRF" Member

A modern Constellation can be totally cringe but vintage Constellation is a different story. Same with today Seamasters but not a 2531.80 or a 2254.50 for example. last but not least a classic hesalite Speedmaster Professional with the original plain black dial is a must have but not so much the other versions no matter how difficult to get or hyped they are. Not a big problem though. Same happens with many different brands IMO. Just need to know what to buy.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 12:58 AM   #43
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
Hard not to agree with the above comment.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 01:08 AM   #44
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
A modern Constellation can be totally cringe but vintage Constellation is a different story. Same with today Seamasters but not a 2531.80 or a 2254.50 for example. last but not least a classic hesalite Speedmaster Professional with the original plain black dial is a must have but not so much the other versions no matter how difficult to get or hyped they are. Not a big problem though. Same happens with many different brands IMO. Just need to know what to buy.
That's so true. A lot of Omega purists were commenting in online reviews that the MoonSwatch cheapened the Speedmaster legacy in some way. Yet if you look at what Omega has done with that watch over the years, you'll see that they already did that to themselves many years ago. There are currently multiple iterations of the Speedmaster for sale on their website right now with different colors, and if you look at year after year of releases and versions, there are dozens upon dozens of iterations and color schemes with the Speedmaster, all designed to appeal to a different audience. They even have versions with cartoon characters on the dial. With that in mind, the MoonSwatch is just another iteration of it designed to appeal to yet a different clientele.

I think a vintage piece with manual movement is a classic.
Old 23 July 2022, 03:08 AM   #45
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Wow. New article in Bloomberg features an interview with the CEO of Swatch. He showed the author prototypes of Swatch bioceramic versions of the Seamaster, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, and he said there's another prototype of a really high end outside brand that he won't say. The author wonders if it's an AP, Patek, or Rolex?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ss-watch-brand
Old 23 July 2022, 03:22 AM   #46
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Agree totally. My hate is for ugly modern references, silly limited/special editions, and sneaker hype marketing. How is owning Rolex going Swatch/Omega???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Not vintage Omega IMHO
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 10:57 AM   #47
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow. New article in Bloomberg features an interview with the CEO of Swatch. He showed the author prototypes of Swatch bioceramic versions of the Seamaster, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, and he said there's another prototype of a really high end outside brand that he won't say. The author wonders if it's an AP, Patek, or Rolex?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ss-watch-brand
Soon you'll be able to 3D print your own Rolex
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote