The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 May 2017, 01:45 AM   #1
MJF
"TRF" Member

Watch: 48 Rolex Bubl'back
1961 Rolex GMT-Master - Original Dial or Later Dial Question.

Hello and thanks for looking.

I have a Rolex GMT-Master with a serial number of 695XXX giving it, from what I can see, a manufacture date of 1961. The case number is 1675 and the movement is a 1560. The case back is stamped II.61.

I have a question regarding the dial I am hoping some of the experts could help me with.

The dial looks to me like one listed in the reference section and described as a matte, 1st generation "Mark 2".

A friend had someone they consider to be an expert look at it who told them that it was not the original dial. They may be right, but I would like some second opinions from other experts.

So my question is could this be the original dial or is it a replacement from Rolex?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

[IMG][/IMG]
MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:02 AM   #2
OmegaBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: sm300, op39 gray
i'm no expert, but a 1961 PCG (pointed crown guards aka cornino) GMT should have a gilt dial, not a matte one...it does seem to me to be a latter/service replacement.

Last edited by OmegaBear; 19 May 2017 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: 1961, not 1962
OmegaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:05 AM   #3
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Service dial and hands...killer insert though!!
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:34 AM   #4
Michael M.
Banned

Later dial.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:49 AM   #5
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Yeah Mark II
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:51 AM   #6
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
As mentioned it has a later dial. If the watch needed a replacement dial they would have used the current dial available which in your case was a Mk2 dial. It was probably done in the early to mid 70's as the hands and date wheel have also been changed or it could have just been put together using random parts! As mentioned killer insert as well.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:54 AM   #7
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Even tho the dial is replaced that is a real beauty.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 03:00 AM   #8
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Originally this watch would have also had the small GMT hand so as stated above the hands were replaced at the same time as the dial in the early to mid 70s.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 03:33 AM   #9
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Depending on asking price, could be a good buy. Finding correct dial and hands will be next to impossible, and would be very expensive.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 03:49 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Beautiful watch! Leave it alone! Yes, the hands and dial were replaced during a service, but so what? Great tritium patina, and overall it's stunning.

Sure, the original gilt dial/hands would be better (and more valuable) to have, but I never like to use the term "incorrect" or "wrong." What you have on your watch is 100 percent "correct." Your GMT was serviced and Rolex replaced what were probably damaged/aged parts. That was long before us watch nuts came along!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 04:14 AM   #11
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
great looking vintage

as mentioned before its most likely to be a 1970's service replacement, and as part of the watches history its beautiful, I have a 1968 5513 with service replacement dial and hands from the 70's and yes it did concern me until I came to the forum, the positive comments and support from the members made me realize what a great item I own, cherish it mate I would.
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 04:14 AM   #12
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Replacement dial and hands, but the patina is wonderful. I would not be concerned.

Your insert is sublime. Great watch!
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 04:14 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Beautiful watch! Leave it alone! Yes, the hands and dial were replaced during a service, but so what? Great tritium patina, and overall it's stunning.

Sure, the original gilt dial/hands would be better (and more valuable) to have, but I never like to use the term "incorrect" or "wrong." What you have on your watch is 100 percent "correct." Your GMT was serviced and Rolex replaced what were probably damaged/aged parts. That was long before us watch nuts came along!
I disagree. The watch is not 100% correct. It has replacement parts and unless something changed last night that I am unaware of, most collectors and hobbyists like there watches correct - like when they were manufactured.

Is there anything wrong with replacement parts...absolutely not. Most of these vintage watches have replacement parts, both externally and internally. Calling it "correct" - it is not, at least not by any definition used to describe vintage watches that I have come to know.

Visually, the dial (Mark II), hands and date wheel have been replaced at some point. The insert appears to be original.

Enjoy your watch!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 04:16 AM   #14
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

absolutely true!
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 05:20 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I disagree. The watch is not 100% correct. It has replacement parts and unless something changed last night that I am unaware of, most collectors and hobbyists like there watches correct - like when they were manufactured.

Is there anything wrong with replacement parts...absolutely not. Most of these vintage watches have replacement parts, both externally and externally. Calling it "correct" - it is not, at least not by any definition used to describe vintage watches that I have come to know.
Just semantics. Perhaps it would be better to say "period correct or incorrect," instead of just "correct." Because if you say something is "not correct" the implication is that it's "wrong." As long as the watch and all its parts are authentic Rolex AND everything is known about (original and/or service), there's nothing wrong with that.

What bugs me is the collector/hobbyist snobbery with parts and watches (not anyone on this thread). Sometimes it's OK to have a polished watch or replacement parts. The owner should still enjoy his/her vintage watch without worrrying whether the font is correct on an insert, or the slight patina variation means that maybe, just maybe the minute hand might have been replaced 30 years ago. Yes, I freak out over such details, but not everyone who owns a vintage Rolex is an OCD collector/hobbyist.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 05:40 AM   #16
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Nice watch, not period correct but still a very nice watch. enjoy it, M
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 06:50 AM   #17
MJF
"TRF" Member

Watch: 48 Rolex Bubl'back
I would like to thank you all for your input and quick responses. I really do appreciate the wealth of info I found here.

Thanks again.
MJF is offline   Reply With Quote