The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 May 2024, 01:07 PM   #1
Kimi
"TRF" Member

Rolex authentication via papers and serial number

If a watch has papers matching the serial number and the engraving looks legit,what are the chances that the watch isn’t 100% genuine?
Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 01:12 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

That's an impossible hypothetical question. Parts can be replaced, papers can be forged, even cases are faked these days. We would need plenty of good clear photos to authenticate the watch.
Old 7 May 2024, 02:01 PM   #3
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
As Dan has mentioned too much of a vague sort of question.
Lots of nice close up photos and as much info you have will hopefully get you the answers you need, and include the price too
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 05:06 PM   #4
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Perhaps, less likely, but show any examples pls ...

Its not foolproof as about 10 years ago I remember Mike Wood regaling me about a crew in Germany that were offering a service to match their punched papers (they'd bought a sophisticated machine and blanks papers) to any watch you supplied, thus ‘full-setting’ them was possible….

They were arrested, but shows diligencee needed. Do you have an example you are worried about?
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 08:10 PM   #5
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
If the papers were genuine and the engraving on the mid-case both correct and matching, then it would support no more than that the mid-case were genuine. It might still be stolen, and it offers no guarantee that the movement, dial, hands, bezel, case-back or bracelet are correct, all of those parts being interchangeable in minutes. "Cut and shuts" containing a mix of genuine and incorrect parts are very common.

When it comes to Rolex watches, "papers" are greatly misunderstood and over-valued by the market.

Insta : haywood_milton_rolex
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 03:10 AM   #6
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
These days you have to worry about a watch being all genuine but housing a clone movement.

Have any watch checked by an expert if you aren’t qualified yourself. Matching paperwork is a good sign. Not foolproof as others here have indicated.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 08:59 AM   #7
Kimi
"TRF" Member

Thank you all, this is helpful.
The watch is a 1990’s submariner ref. 16610 I found at a shop in Hong Kong called Times Watch, it has a decent reputation (it was featured in a blog I follow). Everything else looks good to me (I scanned with a loop). Just looking for reinsurance.
Old 8 May 2024, 10:20 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think that any of the answers in this thread were intended to give you reassurance, in fact the opposite is true. So if that's what you took away from the thread, it would seem to be wishful thinking.

However, you're satisfied that it's a good seller and you appear to be an expert in your own right, so you probably don't need our help.
Old 8 May 2024, 10:54 AM   #9
Kimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I don't think that any of the answers in this thread were intended to give you reassurance, in fact the opposite is true. So if that's what you took away from the thread, it would seem to be wishful thinking.

However, you're satisfied that it's a good seller and you appear to be an expert in your own right, so you probably don't need our help.
Ignore this :)
Old 8 May 2024, 11:36 AM   #10
Kimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Perhaps, less likely, but show any examples pls ...

Its not foolproof as about 10 years ago I remember Mike Wood regaling me about a crew in Germany that were offering a service to match their punched papers (they'd bought a sophisticated machine and blanks papers) to any watch you supplied, thus ‘full-setting’ them was possible….

They were arrested, but shows diligencee needed. Do you have an example you are worried about?
That’s a crazy story.
It’s a Submariner 16610 from the 1990’s. It’s a shop called Tiimes Watch in Hong Kong, it was featured in Craft + Tailored. The watch looks great on the exterior, I have three rolexes and tried multiple watches at AD, so I am familiar with how it should feel, although not an expert for sure.
Old 8 May 2024, 11:39 AM   #11
Kimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post

This thread gave me nothing but more warnings, sorry if I was unclear.
I am not an expert. The watch looks great based on my personal knowledge: i own three rolexes and tried on many pieces at ADs.
I am here to learn as much as I can from you guys.