The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 September 2010, 08:05 AM   #31
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcar631 View Post
I did check Omega's web-site, and I will say that if that photo is indicative of ALL PO's than I do have a problem. However, my first reaction was to wonder exactly what you stated in regards to the location of the "swiss made" lettering. As far as my GMT... I posted a reply, (including close-ups) to a thread regarding members trying to repair their own watches, (which I did with my GMT's dial). If you look closely at the 12 o'clock hour markers you'll notice a defect on the left edge of the left marker. That's glue "squeeze out" that occured after having to reset it in place. It dislodged itself after having dropped it on my tiled kitchen floor. All four hands also needed to be reset. As far as the end links seeming "off" this is because I have a rather small wrist. After sizing the bracelet I did noticed the edges of the links just below the end links were rather prominent. I'm no watch maker, nor am I the greatest photographer, but accusing someone on an open forum of posting pics of fakes crosses a very thin line IMHO. And yes, I would have certainly been willing to discuss these issues with the gentleman from Sweden if he had the tact to PM me. In any event, I'd like to thank you for your comments and photo. And please don't worry... I'm not the type to hold grudges.

I am not trying to make you look bad, i´m merely pointing out that something is wrong with your watch. I would take it to a Omega AD to verify its authenticity.

I´ve seen your other picture of your PO on todays WRUW-thread. The odd things if you compare to the other pic of a gen PO are the following:

1. Bezel numbers too close to the edge and too thin.

2. Numerals on the dial are to bold

3. Crystal seems to lack any form of AR-coating.

4. The "Co" lettering is bigger then the "Axial".

5. The minute and second hand are too short, the top of the second hand seems to be colored red on your PO while on others is orange.

6. Crazy feet on the Omega logo

7. The HE-valve position seems to be under 10 o´clock indice on your PO while it is above on the other picture and on my own PO.

8. "Swiss Made" lettering is above the minute markers on your PO but under on both the picture and all the other gen PO:s i have seen.

9. The date window seems to be too small and to close to the 3 o´clock indice.

Old 26 September 2010, 08:39 AM   #32
cjcar631
Banned

Watch: Submariner/Date
I´ve seen your other picture of your PO on todays WRUW-thread. The odd things if you compare to the other pic of a gen PO are the following:

5. The minute and second hand are too short, the top of the second hand seems to be colored red on your PO while on others is orange.

7. The HE-valve position seems to be under 10 o´clock indice on your PO while it is above on the other picture and on my own PO.

8. "Swiss Made" lettering is above the minute markers on your PO but under on both the picture and all the other gen PO:s i have seen.

And it's not that I don't appreciate your "back-handed" concern, but I will attempt to explain away each and every point you have listed:

1. About the only point I would agree with, but I'm not all that familiar with the quality control standards at Omega. They're not what I would consider a real "high-end" watch to begin with in terms of price or quality, (about one step up from a good Seiko).

2. Don't agree.

3. Pretty bold statement to make from a photo.

4. Not true, and if you could see it without the second hand in the way you'd agree... or not.

5. The hands are exactly as long as they should be. And the tip is not red, it only appears that way in the photo because I have a POS camera that's probably older than you are.

6. "Crazy" feet? They are identical to my GMT's, but I'm sorry, I forgot, you seem to think that one's a FAKE also.

7. Photos can be tricky to disseminate. And "seems" doesn't cut it when you're accusing someone of posting pics of fake watches on this site. Stick around long enough and you'll find that out.

8. Did you see the pic posted in the same thread with the "swiss made" above the indicies? Guess not.

9. Again "seems" does not warrant such claims.

10. Case closed... unless you'd rather I refer this to a moderator.
cjcar631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2010, 08:48 AM   #33
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And it's not that I don't appreciate your "back-handed" concern, but I will attempt to explain away each and every point you have listed:

1. About the only point I would agree with, but I'm not all that familiar with the quality control standards at Omega. They're not what I would consider a real "high-end" watch to begin with in terms of price or quality, (about one step up from a good Seiko).

2. Don't agree.

3. Pretty bold statement to make from a photo.

4. Not true, and if you could see it without the second hand in the way you'd agree... or not.

5. The hands are exactly as long as they should be. And the tip is not red, it only appears that way in the photo because I have a POS camera that's probably older than you are.

6. "Crazy" feet? They are identical to my GMT's, but I'm sorry, I forgot, you seem to think that one's a FAKE also.

7. Photos can be tricky to disseminate. And "seems" doesn't cut it when you're accusing someone of posting pics of fake watches on this site. Stick around long enough and you'll find that out.

8. Did you see the pic posted in the same thread with the "swiss made" above the indicies? Guess not.

9. Again "seems" does not warrant such claims.

10. Case closed... unless you'd rather I refer this to a moderator.
No need to be rude, my intentions are good i assure you. Don´t be mistaken that my post count is correlated to the amount of time i am spending here. Maybe you should take a look at your registration date and mine.

Good luck with your watches!
Old 26 September 2010, 08:56 AM   #34
cjcar631
Banned

I think you need to look up the word "rude" in the dictionary. You take care of your watches, and let me worry about mine.

Much Appreciated!

Old 26 September 2010, 11:04 AM   #35
jwkunkle
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Next One
The PO in question unfortunately appears to be a fake (at least to me). Take it to an AD and get it checked out.
jwkunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2010, 01:47 PM   #36
king1412
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you need to look up the word "rude" in the dictionary. You take care of your watches, and let me worry about mine.

Much Appreciated!

Joseph, did you buy the PO from an AD or a trusted TRF seller? Where did you get this watch from? Looks like Zed82 has a point. He is trying to help you. Best get it checked out by an AD.
king1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2010, 04:00 PM   #37
cjcar631
Banned

The seller is not only trusted and knowledgable, but a very close part of my extended family. As a matter of fact, he has sold and/or found most of the watches in my collection. It was not easy for me, but I did pay him a visit this evening, and as tactfully as possible I asked him to take a close look at the watch and tell me if he noticed anything strange. Before going any further I must admit I played a part in this debacle. I rushed him into the sale after having sold my GMT.

His first reaction was to grab his loop, but before even having to use it, I could tell he was bothered by what he saw. Keep in mind, this watch was used when purchased. He asked if I had had a chance to wear it much, as I have only had the watch for the past few weeks. Before I could answer he pointed out to me that the watch had stoped running and wanted to know if I had wound it recently, (I had). I did mentioned to him that I had found the crown to be a bit tricky/sticky to operate compared to my GMT, (I didn't think much of this at the time because the watch looked fairly well taken care of).

Without saying another word he immediately removed the case back. There he found several problems, each of which he closely pointed out to me. The screws that hold the face and movement secure were very loose. This apparently allowed the face to rotate clockwise and downwards towards the bottom left-hand side. Before making any adjustments, he flipped the watch over, gave it a good tap to get it running, and we watched the second hand sweep across the dial. The tip would be very close to the rehaut on the upper and right-hand side, and then seem to move away as it aproached the opposite side. He even pointed out to me how visibly crooked the stem was from the inside of the case.

Luckily I hadn't stripped the threads, and none of the screws were missing. It was, in his words, a fairly simple fix. It took all of about a half an hour and all was well. He was so apologetic for not having tested the watch more thoroughly before the sale that he actually refunded me 10% of the original price. He did "srtongly" suggest that I invest the money in a new digital camera though. He hated the photos I took, and I can't say I blame him. The watch is much better looking in person.

And he also made a valid point about ever posting pics on the internet. If you don't have a quality camera and the proper lighting... etc., even the best of watches can appear questionable. He did confirm that the tip on the second hand is "orange"... not red. He saw no deviation regarding the hour markers, but did admit my photos did distort the size of the 12, at which pointed he stated that this could also have been caused by the relection and my lack of photography skills. As far as the "swiss made" issue, it was his assertion that he has seen those located in both positions on the dial, and suggested it could have more to do with the year of production rather than authenticity.

He then showed me something I knew nothing about... a little globe located on the outer ring of the case back that can easily be overlooked. He equated it to the laser etched coronet you find on most Rolex crystals. He assured me this is all I really need to look for externally. Of course he was adament that removing the case back to view the movement should, and is ALWAYS first and foremost.

In any event, after telling him my sad story about the forum debacle, we had a few laughs and a few more beers together before we parted ways. I think we both learned something tonight. Something of watches and a little something more about friendship.

Last edited by cjcar631; 26 September 2010 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: I think I'm going to have to break this up into paragraphs.
Old 26 September 2010, 04:05 PM   #38
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

The Swede's right. PO in question is a counterfeit.

Omega only just better that Seiko? Now who's starting a war?
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2010, 04:15 PM   #39
cjcar631
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
The Swede's right. PO in question is a counterfeit.

Omega only just better that Seiko? Now who's starting a war?
With a few minor refinements, yes, I think Seiko could easily get more than double the asking price for their watches.

Old 26 September 2010, 05:21 PM   #40
TheLino
Retired

Quote:
the seller is not only trusted and knowledgable, but a very close part of my extended family. As a matter of fact, he has sold and/or found most of the watches in my collection. It was not easy for me, but i did pay him a visit this evening, and as tactfully as possible i asked him to take a close look at the watch and tell me if he noticed anything strange. Before going any further i must admit i played a part in this debacle. I rushed him into the sale after having sold my gmt.

His first reaction was to grab his loop, but before even having to use it, i could tell he was bothered by what he saw. Keep in mind, this watch was used when purchased. He asked if i had had a chance to wear it much, as i have only had the watch for the past few weeks. Before i could answer he pointed out to me that the watch had stoped running and wanted to know if i had wound it recently, (i had). I did mentioned to him that i had found the crown to be a bit tricky/sticky to operate compared to my gmt, (i didn't think much of this at the time because the watch looked fairly well taken care of).

Without saying another word he immediately removed the case back. There he found several problems, each of which he closely pointed out to me. The screws that hold the face and movement secure were very loose. This apparently allowed the face to rotate clockwise and downwards towards the bottom left-hand side. Before making any adjustments, he flipped the watch over, gave it a good tap to get it running, and we watched the second hand sweep across the dial. The tip would be very close to the rehaut on the upper and right-hand side, and then seem to move away as it aproached the opposite side. He even pointed out to me how visibly crooked the stem was from the inside of the case.

Luckily i hadn't stripped the threads, and none of the screws were missing. It was, in his words, a fairly simple fix. It took all of about a half an hour and all was well. He was so apologetic for not having tested the watch more thoroughly before the sale that he actually refunded me 10% of the original price. He did "srtongly" suggest that i invest the money in a new digital camera though. He hated the photos i took, and i can't say i blame him. The watch is much better looking in person.

And he also made a valid point about ever posting pics on the internet. If you don't have a quality camera and the proper lighting... Etc., even the best of watches can appear questionable. He did confirm that the tip on the second hand is "orange"... Not red. He saw no deviation regarding the hour markers, but did admit my photos did distort the size of the 12, at which pointed he stated that this could also have been caused by the relection and my lack of photography skills. As far as the "swiss made" issue, it was his assertion that he has seen those located in both positions on the dial, and suggested it could have more to do with the year of production rather than authenticity.

He then showed me something i knew nothing about... A little globe located on the outer ring of the case back that can easily be overlooked. He equated it to the laser etched coronet you find on most rolex crystals. He assured me this is all i really need to look for externally. Of course he was adament that removing the case back to view the movement should, and is always first and foremost.

In any event, after telling him my sad story about the forum debacle, we had a few laughs and a few more beers together before we parted ways. I think we both learned something tonight. Something of watches and a little something more about friendship.
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeah...
TheLino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2010, 08:49 PM   #41
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Joseph, appreciate your further notes - but I'm sure your seller must have a digi cam somewhere which you could have used to document all these verifications he wad performing. Pictures tells a thousand words and it's better to use that then exchanging words.
Bring an extended family member doesn't really help the situation IMO... Can I ask if he has any certification in watchmaking? Did he pressure test the PO after replacing the case back? Hope it gets sorted and all will be happy, especially you mate.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2010, 10:21 PM   #42
cjcar631
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
Joseph, appreciate your further notes - but I'm sure your seller must have a digi cam somewhere which you could have used to document all these verifications he wad performing. Pictures tells a thousand words and it's better to use that then exchanging words.
Bring an extended family member doesn't really help the situation IMO... Can I ask if he has any certification in watchmaking? Did he pressure test the PO after replacing the case back? Hope it gets sorted and all will be happy, especially you mate.
I'm extremely satisfied with the way things turned out. As far as asking him to "photo document" the entire process... first off it was the last thing on my mind, and secondly, in retrospect, I have nothing I feel I need to prove to anybody on this web-site... period! Take it or leave it, like it or not. I'm here on this web-site to LEARN and try to contribute something of a positive nature. In my relatively short time here, I've seen too many long-standing memebers, (members with many years and thousands of posts), get caught up in this type of BS, only to quit the forum. Well, you'll be getting no such "Dear John" letter from me. In all honesty, the need for friends played no part in my joining this forum... so love me or hate me... until I am no longer able to log-on... you're all stuck with me.... LMAO!

Old 27 September 2010, 01:52 AM   #43
esm
"TRF" Member

Understand where you are coming from and it is you need you be happy with whatever decision you make. The good thing about this froum is that there are so much to learn and the amount of help here is unbelievable. Of course you do whatever pleases you. I'm sure mr 62 made the post from a good heart and when there are other people sharing the same idea, it may mean something.
Again, it is your call and being an extend family friend may have something to do with it. So as long as you are happy with your purchase and outcome, there are nothing more to say.
Enjoy, PO and GMT are fine pieces.
Old 27 September 2010, 02:43 AM   #44
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you on drugs Mr. 62 posts? I've had close-up photos of my GMT on this website on several ocassions, and no one has ever accused me of posting pics of FAKES! If they were why would I be posting pics of them on a web-site that has some of the most knowledgable watch afficiatatos in the world. You better think twice before making these type of accusations, or perhaps you should be contacted by a Mod concerning this issue? You've got some balls and no brains!
Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones Mr. Less than 400 posts.

That PO looks pretty fake from the picture fake just looking at the placement of the He valve and the location of "Swiss Made". Actually on second thought, most of this watch looks extremely fake. The "crazy feet" is an indication, as well as a short minute hand. Granted this might just be from the angle the picture was taken at, and I only looked for the obvious signs in fakes. So I may be wrong, but that Swiss Made indication is obvious.

EDIT: It seems that I came late to the party, and that the watch was already determined as counterfeit. I apologize for beating a dead horse.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2010, 05:14 AM   #45
cjcar631
Banned

Thanks Eric for your understanding and kind words. They're getting harder and harder to come by these days. Maybe it's the economy... who knows?

Last edited by cjcar631; 27 September 2010 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: double post
Old 27 September 2010, 05:16 AM   #46
cjcar631
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones Mr. Less than 400 posts.

That PO looks pretty fake from the picture fake just looking at the placement of the He valve and the location of "Swiss Made". Actually on second thought, most of this watch looks extremely fake. The "crazy feet" is an indication, as well as a short minute hand. Granted this might just be from the angle the picture was taken at, and I only looked for the obvious signs in fakes. So I may be wrong, but that Swiss Made indication is obvious.

EDIT: It seems that I came late to the party, and that the watch was already determined as counterfeit. I apologize for beating a dead horse.
Yeah, TOO late. BTW, I see you're looking to purchase an AP RO. I had one. As a matter of fact I posted pics of it here on TRF, and even included a link to a web-site that sold special order, hand-made Italian bands for the AP RO as well as the a AP ROO. Got alot of compliments on it too from fellow TRF members. But you hang in there. Just think... if you had $10 for every one of your posts you might just be able to afford the RO, (minus the sales tax of course). Either that or you could sell half of your present watch collection, (or at least the watches you say you own), in order to scrounge up the money. One last word of advice... clicks are for school girls... Charlie is a guys name, right? Wouldn't want to confuse you for something other than what you are. But if you should happen to like wearing dresses, far be it for me to interfere. Have a nice day!
Old 27 September 2010, 07:30 AM   #47
jwkunkle
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Next One
I am confused. So an extended family member sold you a fake Omega PO and all is well?
jwkunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2010, 10:28 AM   #48
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, TOO late. BTW, I see you're looking to purchase an AP RO. I had one. As a matter of fact I posted pics of it here on TRF, and even included a link to a web-site that sold special order, hand-made Italian bands for the AP RO as well as the a AP ROO. Got alot of compliments on it too from fellow TRF members. But you hang in there. Just think... if you had $10 for every one of your posts you might just be able to afford the RO, (minus the sales tax of course). Either that or you could sell half of your present watch collection, (or at least the watches you say you own), in order to scrounge up the money. One last word of advice... clicks are for school girls... Charlie is a guys name, right? Wouldn't want to confuse you for something other than what you are. But if you should happen to like wearing dresses, far be it for me to interfere. Have a nice day!
Ummmm.... What?

I can't tell what you were trying to say, but I think you're grasping at straws. My previous post was not mean to be inflammatory at all, I'm not accusing YOU of anything, I just believed that the PO looked fishy to me. I'm not coming back to click on this thread now, but just know that nobody believes at this point that the PO isn't authentic. (not commenting on the SMP as it looks perfectly fine to me)

It's alarming however, how quickly you resort to personal attack.

Have a nice day!
Old 27 September 2010, 11:05 AM   #49
king1412
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a bit low and unnecessary. People here are only trying to help you realize that a close family friend sold you a fake PO. No need for personal attacks. At least Mockingbird is not walking around with a fake watch on his wrist.
Old 27 September 2010, 11:17 AM   #50
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Old 27 September 2010, 11:38 AM   #51
aleiberman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Joseph,

Post a picture of the caseback if you can? Since it's on the rubber strap, it should be easy to get a photo. That caseback has enough detail where it should be hard to replicate 100% and easy for us to compare, and help you determine what you've got. Just trying to help actually, I'm not being a wise guy.
aleiberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 02:41 AM   #52
king1412
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In my relatively short time here, I've seen too many long-standing memebers, (members with many years and thousands of posts), get caught up in this type of BS, only to quit the forum. Well, you'll be getting no such "Dear John" letter from me. In all honesty, the need for friends played no part in my joining this forum... so love me or hate me... until I am no longer able to log-on... you're all stuck with me.... LMAO!

I guess we are no longer stuck with this fella. Poor guy was in denial and got so defensive and even resorted to personal attacks. Hope he didn't pay more than $5 for the fake PO he bought from a 'close family friend'.

Good job spotting the fake guys! Very informative.
Old 28 September 2010, 03:07 AM   #53
TheLino
Retired

Quote:
The seller is not only trusted and knowledgable, but a very close part of my extended family. As a matter of fact, he has sold and/or found most of the watches in my collection. It was not easy for me, but I did pay him a visit this evening, and as tactfully as possible I asked him to take a close look at the watch and tell me if he noticed anything strange. Before going any further I must admit I played a part in this debacle. I rushed him into the sale after having sold my GMT.

His first reaction was to grab his loop, but before even having to use it, I could tell he was bothered by what he saw. Keep in mind, this watch was used when purchased. He asked if I had had a chance to wear it much, as I have only had the watch for the past few weeks. Before I could answer he pointed out to me that the watch had stoped running and wanted to know if I had wound it recently, (I had). I did mentioned to him that I had found the crown to be a bit tricky/sticky to operate compared to my GMT, (I didn't think much of this at the time because the watch looked fairly well taken care of).

Luckily I hadn't stripped the threads, and none of the screws were missing. It was, in his words, a fairly simple fix. It took all of about a half an hour and all was well. He was so apologetic for not having tested the watch more thoroughly before the sale that he actually refunded me 10% of the original price. He did "srtongly" suggest that I invest the money in a new digital camera though. He hated the photos I took, and I can't say I blame him. The watch is much better looking in person.

And he also made a valid point about ever posting pics on the internet. If you don't have a quality camera and the proper lighting... etc., even the best of watches can appear questionable. He did confirm that the tip on the second hand is "orange"... not red. He saw no deviation regarding the hour markers, but did admit my photos did distort the size of the 12, at which pointed he stated that this could also have been caused by the relection and my lack of photography skills. As far as the "swiss made" issue, it was his assertion that he has seen those located in both positions on the dial, and suggested it could have more to do with the year of production rather than authenticity.

He then showed me something I knew nothing about... a little globe located on the outer ring of the case back that can easily be overlooked. He equated it to the laser etched coronet you find on most Rolex crystals. He assured me this is all I really need to look for externally. Of course he was adament that removing the case back to view the movement should, and is ALWAYS first and foremost.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

(Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 2)
TheLino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 05:55 AM   #54
Sporting Lisbon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SDDS
I am sorry that mt inocent thread has evolved to such a comic situation!

I might do my PO move tomorrow, for 2.600 Euros!

What do you guys think about the deal?
Sporting Lisbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 06:03 AM   #55
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Lisbon View Post
I am sorry that mt inocent thread has evolved to such a comic situation!

I might do my PO move tomorrow, for 2.600 Euros!

What do you guys think about the deal?
That's a bit high, I'm sorry but in all the confusion I forgot if you were buying at an AD or online.

If you want a BNIB PO you might be able to get down to 2500 Euro.
Old 28 September 2010, 06:52 AM   #56
Sporting Lisbon
"TRF" Member

Thanks Charlie!

Yep, i am going to buy it brand new and from an AD.. I think it is worth the extra money!

I will follow your advice and try to negotiate it at 2.500 euros.

Thank you once gain
Old 29 September 2010, 11:07 PM   #57
Sporting Lisbon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
Hi, I have no idea when the PO was officially released, but recently there was a LM (Liquid Metal) limited edition of 1948 pieces.

According to the Omega CEO, the PO should be receiving a new in-house movement and to be shown at Basel 2011.

Eric, do you remember where did you read that ?

By the way, is there any place i can find some informations or predictions of the new PO coming next year ?

Thank you mate
Old 29 September 2010, 11:26 PM   #58
esm
"TRF" Member

Quote:

By the way, is there any place i can find some informations or predictions of the new PO coming next year ?

Thank you mate

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/foru...orum/41306.htm

and maybe this also...

http://omega.watchprosite.com/?show=...=648396&fi=677
Old 30 September 2010, 06:34 AM   #59
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you mate
There was an interview between Omega's CEO and the creator of WatchTalkForums a few months ago where it was mentioned. There will also be an 8500 based new chronograph movement!
Old 2 October 2010, 01:22 AM   #60
Mahkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by king1412 View Post
I guess we are no longer stuck with this fella. Poor guy was in denial and got so defensive and even resorted to personal attacks. Hope he didn't pay more than $5 for the fake PO he bought from a 'close family friend'.

Good job spotting the fake guys! Very informative.
I can spot that fake po from 10km down the rd that is without binocular.
Mahkota is offline   Reply With Quote