The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Regret in letting go of watches you no longer enjoy?
Let them go - your tastes have moved on, it's normal, you won't regret it 86 67.19%
Keep them - otherwise you will regret it eventually as all roads lead back to Rolex 42 32.81%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 October 2023, 11:59 PM   #1
ars1g09
"TRF" Member

Watch: R, AP, PP
Regret in letting go of watches you no longer enjoy?

I'm not sure why - perhaps due to evolving taste - I have found myself reaching for my Rolexes less and less these days. I find them to be cumbersome, flashy, and chunky.

Regardless of why, this has meant that most of my Rolexes (BLNR, BLRO, Hulk, Panda Daytona) have gone very much unworn in the past couple of years. This has therefore prompted me to consider consolidating these watches into a piece away from Rolex - perhaps Patek, Lange or FPJ, letting go of all of my 6-digit Rolexes whilst keeping the vintages and my first Rolex, an 116610ln. (For context, in addition to my Rolexes my collection consists of Nautiluses, Aquanauts, and a Patek AC - and I got all of my Pateks before I got my Rolexes)

But then again I remember the adage that collectors start with Rolex, and despite possibly losing interest in the middle, end up back with Rolex anyway.

Has anyone ever been through a 'phase' like me? And said goodbye to their Rolexes and ended up regretting it?
ars1g09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 12:05 AM   #2
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Is it possible your taste have moved completely upstream (PP, Lange level)?

Maybe par back and keep just one or two Rolexes. If it was me, i'd probably keep the BLNR or BLRO (i'm a GMT fan in full disclosure, less so of Daytonas).
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 12:06 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I usually think long & hard on what should stay & what should go. It would be great to keep them all. But so far I've been happy w/ my decisions.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 12:18 AM   #4
Driver8
"TRF" Member

To me watches aren’t life or death, and if you don’t like a particular piece at any point in time, then I say ship it on. I genuinely don’t see the point of hanging on to stuff just in case you end up liking it again. It’s like keeping a pair of 32” waist jeans and hoping one day you’ll fit in them again!

I’ve bought and sold hundreds of watches over the years - not as a money-making thing; just because of changing/evolving tastes over time. That includes a number Rolexes including a 16610LV, an SD43 and a 116660 DSSD, and I’ve regretted none of it. (OK so I occasionally have a slight regret I sold by 16610LV for £3,500 when they’re now going for £15k, but that would’ve meant holding on to a piece I no longer wore or particularly liked for about 15 years. No thanks!).

Watches are an interest/hobby to me and that means it should be enjoyable. If ever I find I’m not enjoying a piece any more, off it goes. To be honest that’s worked pretty well for me as it’s meant I’ve tried loads of different watches by different brands, so I’ve honed down what I really like, and as a result my collection has been pretty stable for a long time now.
Old 31 October 2023, 12:27 AM   #5
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Have you considered that maybe you just plain have too many watches if your intent is to wear and enjoy them all. There is a limit for most of us before we are simply collecting for the sake of owning.

I can't really have more than 10 including cheap beaters before I end up not touching one for weeks at a time. If you are selling at grey prices it's not as if you can't buy one back if you miss it.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 12:31 AM   #6
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Whoever doesn't march dies. I approach my adventure with watches in this way: I am constantly moving forward. Sometimes I will look back and go back to a particular model to see whether I made a mistake by selling one watch in favor of another. At this moment, I can say that I have avoided major mistakes, and, looking back, I have made the right choices. Yes, sometimes I regret some of the sales, but when I look with satisfaction at my current collection, I realize that I am constantly moving forward, and my watches smile at me even more than before.
Old 31 October 2023, 12:34 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s a great question OP, something I’m sure many of us think about from time to time.

For me, if I’m not wearing a specific reference as much as I normally would I don’t make big moves until I’m certain it no longer works for me. I’ve only made one “blunder” in this hobby having bought and sold the same reference 2 times

I think to some degree the old adage “All roads lead back to Rolex” is sort of true. I see some of our more serious collectors echo this

For me, I know that for my budget I stay within a certain category of watch maker, and Rolex sort of fits perfectly into what I’m prepared to spend on a good watch. I’ve tried quite a few different references within the brand, enough to know what I like and what I don’t. I’m much more confident now than I was say 10 years ago when I felt like trying every release

Now, I’m patient and I tend to really think about what I’d like to own and wear, what fits into my collection, and what’s maybe just a passing fad (for me).

I know that’s not exactly what you’re driving at OP, but those are my thoughts on collecting
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 12:36 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
There was a great thread here a few years back about confessions of buying the same watch back one or more times.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 12:37 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
There was a great thread here a few years back about confessions of buying the same watch back one or more times.
I remember that thread Bob … I feel better knowing that others here are more indecisive than me
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 12:49 AM   #10
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
If you don't need the money, keep them and find a less chunky / cumbersome Rolex (<40mm size), e.g. Explorer, Datejust, Day-Date, etc. It may surprise people how nice the smaller watches are.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 01:10 AM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

How about a bit of both 'answers'? Personally, am at the point of knowing my (chosen) limited 'resources'; and thus can only 'do' so much for my love of horology. Descisions need to be made........
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 01:11 AM   #12
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I'm a keeper. The few pieces I've let go, still bother me to this day.
Old 31 October 2023, 01:16 AM   #13
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Been through this many times, although I’ve never been without at least two Rolex at any given time. I’ve recently expanded to other brands, and I enjoy them, but I’d never be without a Rolex or two.
I don’t know if my current phase of branching out will stick, I never say never, or promise myself anything in this journey/hobby (other than never selling my father’s watch he left me).
Personally….Rolex is really my comfort zone, I enjoy other brands as well, but I can’t say I’d never be a Rolex only collector at some point in the future, it’s just my favorite brand
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 01:16 AM   #14
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Circa 1984 I bought my first “nice watch,” a SS Datejust. My plan/hobby as a young working man was to have a “collection” of mechanical watches but just one premium model. That special one was a variety of brands and many watches including Rolex were bought and sold.
Around the early 2000’s I went kind of overboard and for a brief time had a safe full of expensive(to me)watches that I hardly wore. By 2002 I purged them and was back to mostly having a variety of cheaper pieces and one flagship.
20 years later I’m back to having probably more watches than I really need including four Rolex, the most I’ve ever had at one time. I’m trying to think through any new purchases these days, ultimately watches are just baubles. As far as regrets, yeah I sold quite a few watches that would be pretty valuable now but if I’d held onto them but then I couldn’t have afforded the others that came after.
To the OP, all this is a long-winded way of saying buy and sell whatever makes you happy. You can always replace stuff along the way or experiment to find just the right one. They’re just watches.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 01:17 AM   #15
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I strive to keep only 5.

sometimes requires tough decisions.
Old 31 October 2023, 01:21 AM   #16
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I've gone through many phases over the years and have always come back to Rolex. I still own and enjoy other brands but I've come to realize that Rolex will always be my go-to and favorite. That's not the case for every collector. Just do what feels right.
No regrets though in the pieces I let go along the way.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 01:30 AM   #17
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I strive to keep only 5.

Hope all is well, my friend!

I would love to see where your Evolution is at present. Your thread is worthy of a good old fashioned bump. :)
Old 31 October 2023, 03:14 AM   #18
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕

I decided to trim down to 3 pieces.

Owning at the moment:

Bluesy 2019-12 (bought BNIB grey)
EXII 2022-12 (bought BNIB grey)
Milgauss 2023-08 (bought BNIB AD)
Tudor Pepsi GMT 2022-09 (bought BNIB grey)
Panerai 1028 2020-07 (bought BNIB AD)

Give away (already a while ago) to my youngest son my EXII (16570) and BB58 black (bought both BNIB grey and Tudor AD) Eldest son: 116900 Airking
So both my Sons are covered.

Gonna sell probably the Bluesy and Pepsi.
Other 3 are perfect for what I like and do in life.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 05:27 AM   #19
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Hope all is well, my friend!

I would love to see where your Evolution is at present. Your thread is worthy of a good old fashioned bump. :)
Been a while.

Good idea. Should have a unique incoming in the next two weeks.
Lands me square at 5

Likewise wondering where your collection has landed ?
Old 31 October 2023, 08:03 AM   #20
mdwsta4
"TRF" Member

Unless it's something that is insanely rare, I don't see the harm in selling off something you no longer wear. I'm in the process of whittling down my collection because of this exact reason. I don't need to be the person with a 50 watch collection. I'd rather own a smaller collection that I wear regularly and every piece brings me joy. If I sell a piece I'm sure I'll be able to find it again down the road should I want it back
mdwsta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 10:07 AM   #21
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118238
There are a few I wish I had kept. This is tough question though because at the time I was completely convinced that I was doing the right thing.
Hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 10:18 AM   #22
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I have a foot in both camps so I didn't vote.
I have regrets about passing on perfectly great(in their own right) watches, but I have limits as to how many I can store and maintain properly so I have to set a limit on how many watches I have in total.
Naturally that means re-configuring the collection in some way and as I'm well over the hoarding phase and focused collection i am much more appreciative of the diversity i have found myself with.
There are swings and roundabouts and it's really part of an amazing journey
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 10:39 AM   #23
ars1g09
"TRF" Member

Watch: R, AP, PP
Quote:
I strive to keep only 5.

This is a very interesting rule - mine is at 10 (7 days of the week, 7 watch rotation + 3 special event pieces (vintage, dress watch etc). But you’re further along the collecting journey so would love to hear how your experience has led you to 5 as a limit!
ars1g09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 11:52 AM   #24
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660

Quote:
Been a while.

Good idea. Should have a unique incoming in the next two weeks.
Lands me square at 5

Likewise wondering where your collection has landed ?

Can’t wait to see your new incoming and the 5 you have!

I’ll try to get a better and more complete pic, but I recently took this pic of the 5 SS (and including one TT!) Rolex that I’m wearing a lot these days. I’ve really enjoyed each of these because of their case shape and comfort. Plus, they have been easy to wear as they suit (pun intended) the hybrid / WFH model that still persists. And as it relates to this thread, a few of these were sold way back when, regrettably, and bought back again.

On the dressier side, I recently added this platinum Lange 1815 200th anniversary piece. I love the size, weight, details, and finishing. And that sub-seconds dial…

Lately, less is more for me, and I have been wearing non-complicated watches.

Old 31 October 2023, 12:20 PM   #25
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

At the end of the day they are only watches. Unless you have a truly limited or rare piece every one of them, or an equivalent, can be re-purchased and back on your wrist in very short order. I say if you aren’t digging on them move ‘em out.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 11:02 PM   #26
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

I voted to let them go, BUT, I will say of the handful I have "let go," all but one I'm OK with and have moved on from. One of them, I regret letting go to this day. So think it through well. That's all.
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 11:57 PM   #27
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would let them go. Unless a super limited piece or one with sentimental value they can all be easily replaced. I would have a total look at the collection and see what else can go also.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 12:24 AM   #28
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Got a couple with sentimental value that aren’t worth much anyway that I’d never sell. All the rest I’d part with for the right price if I wanted to move into something else. At the end of the day it’s not like a modern Rolex is unique or difficult to come across.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 12:35 AM   #29
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I voted "let go" if it's indeed something no longer worn at all.

However ditching Rolex can be a bad idea. Back in the day.... it was possible to swap watches or replace something for almost $0 net. Today that watch you sold has likely gone up 2x in hype value and thus getting it will be more painful.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 12:39 AM   #30
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Gone both ways for me

Regretted moving a couple pieces and ended up buying them back down the road at a higher price, but then again also benefitted from moving other pieces that ultimately I didn't mesh with and had to buy and wear to realize over time wasn't for me!
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote