The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2024, 07:18 AM   #1
jflye
"TRF" Member

My first rolex opinions/options

I am very fortunate to have a great relationship with our local store. I not only have bought a lot of jewelry there over the years, but consider the manager a friend. I have wanted a Rolex for 10 plus years. He has told me whatever I want is mine. I just have to wait till that model comes in. With that being said I have finally decided to get a grown ass man watch from them. This is one of my Rolex wearing buddies favorite quotes to me whenever we are out. This will be something I wear daily. I originally wanted a GMT "batgirl" sorry for using nicknames(know they offend). He hasn't gotten the GMT in since we spoke but has offered me several other models. I have turned them down so far, but he now has a Sub MK2 that is mine if I want it. In the boards opinion which is a better everyday watch. I don't have a office job typically in jeans/khakis golf course attire. This watch isn't for investment. It is for me to wear. Who knows maybe I decide to grow my collection later on. I am very torn on which way to go. Rolex has some great SS sport options. On another note got to try on the new GMT two tone black/grey option in Bahamas last week. That is a stunning watch. I considered going for it, but just not a great everyday watch for me.
jflye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:27 AM   #2
brian86
"TRF" Member

big difference between the sub and GMT is the polished center links on the GMT. Scuffs are more noticeable on these vs the brushed band on the sub. something to consider if its going to be your everyday watch
brian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:33 AM   #3
KatGirl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
My first rolex opinions/options

Take the Sub! It’s a perfect every day watch! However, if you travel a lot, and want/ need a GMT, then wait for the batgirl.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:39 AM   #4
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Since you are "first in line", wait for the Rolex you want. Both the GMT or Sub can be your daily. I own both, no office job and I am comfortable wearing either. Good luck with your choice.
MJZRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:42 AM   #5
variety
"TRF" Member

I would vote for the GMT with jubilee. More comfortable and hides scratches better than the oyster. I think batgirl is a great choice and the colors are more subdued than a pepsi ( personally own a pepsi) and it's' still a black dial watch so makes sub a little redudant imo. Or since you can get anything you want you could consider a black dial steel daytona just since it's hard to get but for sure more useful is the GMT. Hope that helps and good luck
variety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:48 AM   #6
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
The Sub is a great choice and perfect as a daily
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:50 AM   #7
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
White gold GMT Meteorite!
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:52 AM   #8
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Both Sub. and GMT are great timepieces and can be daily. Pick the one that sings to you the most.

I have all of them and love them very much equally.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:55 AM   #9
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

I love all these first time posters with the questions!
Gearjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:57 AM   #10
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The GMT on the jubilee is a great starter.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:01 AM   #11
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Can’t go wrong with a Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:03 AM   #12
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
If the BLNR GMT was your 1st pick, wait for that.
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:06 AM   #13
jflye
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses. Yes first time poster but been lurking here for a long time. I am not new to watches and what they offer, but just seeking as much information as I can have. All these arguments are same ones going through my head😂. Another question for those that have the MK2 is does it go with a wide range of clothes? I am trying not to abuse my friendship with AD. Daytona is a great watch and my grail as well, but not asking for that right out of the gate. I have spent around 100K with him over the years so I don't think any of these ask are crazy. He originally said Sub was the watch for me and what I do. I just didn't want a "common" watch. The Kermit/MK2 offers a little pop but stays in that Sub category. This Piece intrigues me. I am going to go try it on tomorrow. I have said no to a Sprite and the two tone GMT alum the past 10 days.
Old 23 January 2024, 09:10 AM   #14
soldes
"TRF" Member

Out of the 2, pick the one that you can not get out of your head, after seen it or trying it on. By definition, that is the watch that speaks to you!.
soldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:30 AM   #15
Jason Bourne
"TRF" Member

Owning both Batgirl and Sub I think they are equally nice, you cannot go wrong here.

I cannot put one on top of the other, both are simply amazing pieces
Jason Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:47 AM   #16
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Give the Exp II a look as well.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:56 AM   #17
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

GMT > Sub. I have both the BLNR (Oyster) and Sub. Both great watches, both excellent dailies. Get the one that speaks to you and works better for your needs. For me multi-time zone & 100M WR is more in line with my life than a timing bezel and 300M WR. Glidelock is great but if you take your time getting the easy link bracelet dialed in it's not that much of a difference (esp if you're not constantly adjusting the bracelet).
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:14 AM   #18
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Sub

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:21 AM   #19
JTY_Canada
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflye View Post
I am very fortunate to have a great relationship with our local store. I not only have bought a lot of jewelry there over the years, but consider the manager a friend. I have wanted a Rolex for 10 plus years. He has told me whatever I want is mine. I just have to wait till that model comes in. With that being said I have finally decided to get a grown ass man watch from them. This is one of my Rolex wearing buddies favorite quotes to me whenever we are out. This will be something I wear daily. I originally wanted a GMT "batgirl" sorry for using nicknames(know they offend). He hasn't gotten the GMT in since we spoke but has offered me several other models. I have turned them down so far, but he now has a Sub MK2 that is mine if I want it. In the boards opinion which is a better everyday watch. I don't have a office job typically in jeans/khakis golf course attire. This watch isn't for investment. It is for me to wear. Who knows maybe I decide to grow my collection later on. I am very torn on which way to go. Rolex has some great SS sport options. On another note got to try on the new GMT two tone black/grey option in Bahamas last week. That is a stunning watch. I considered going for it, but just not a great everyday watch for me.
Go to Rolex's website and type in Batgirl. You'd be surprised.
JTY_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:32 AM   #20
Subshark1861
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, 126710BLNR
I wear my Sub most days and BLNR on Jubilee when I'm dressed up a bit.
Subshark1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:34 AM   #21
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
My vote is for the Sub. An all round every day watch. But it's got to make you smile

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:46 AM   #22
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Explorer, the ultimate daily all occasion watch.

You sound like a one and done type.
Old 23 January 2024, 11:03 AM   #23
Erivera42
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ ll and Sub 41
Go with your first choice. You will be more than happy with a Sub but the Batgirl will always be on your mind. What if’s will drive you crazy.
Erivera42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:15 AM   #24
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Take the Sub! It’s a perfect every day watch! However, if you travel a lot, and want/ need a GMT, then wait for the batgirl.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This!. You will not find a better everyday day watch than the Sub. No fluff, simple, rugged, big markers and easy to read. I love GMTs too. If you need a second time zone, you can’t go wrong with one. Both are very nice!
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:43 AM   #25
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I’d go sub. Would also consider YM rhodium dial and explorer 40mm in this situation. Good luck with the decision:)
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:49 AM   #26
sickened1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Since you mentioned daily wear, my vote is for the Sub.
sickened1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 12:15 PM   #27
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflye View Post
So, basically, whatever you want as long as it's available? Isn't that the same as what every AD tells any schmo that walks in? "It's yours as long as it's here and no one else wants it".
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 12:51 PM   #28
jflye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyandwet View Post
So, basically, whatever you want as long as it's available? Isn't that the same as what every AD tells any schmo that walks in? "It's yours as long as it's here and no one else wants it".
No whatever I want I am top of the list for that watch. He can't guarantee when it comes in, but when it does I get first right of refusal.
Old 23 January 2024, 01:05 PM   #29
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
They are both fantastic. Gmt you get a second tome zone and pcl which may make it more versatile. You can kind of use the rotating bezel as a timer if you really wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:01 PM   #30
Ceriano
"TRF" Member

Can't go wrong with either one. Find an AD that has exhibition models, try them on and see which one makes you smile! for me it was the BLNR.
Ceriano is offline   Reply With Quote