The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Sub or Exp??
Keep the Sub-C! 238 55.09%
Go for the Exp II 42, you will love it!! 194 44.91%
Voters: 432. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 September 2012, 04:02 PM   #31
WatchingTime
"TRF" Member

An observation: I just noticed the Sub C guys just say "Sub C", while the EXP II fans elaborate more in depth as to why they chose the EXP II.

I cannot help but point this out, since it has been a pretty common theme on most of the forum post I have read regarding the "SUB vs. (fill in the blank)" .

Sub C fans, I am here to learn! Can you elaborate more as to WHY Sub C??
WatchingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 06:23 PM   #32
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingTime View Post
You nailed it! Everybody and their brother has a Sub, and a ceramic bezel is just not enough to make a difference. IMHO, The new EXP II 42mm is an instant classic. I have been were you are very recently, and asked the same question (I also threw the Omega Planet Ocean w/ 8500 movement in the mix). I have put a lot of thought and time into this and...

the more I researched, asked questions, thought about it, and went into my AD over and over, the EXP II just rose to the surface. Have you Googled reviews on the EXP II, they are raving to say the least.

Here are a few of my personal observations:

1) EXP II 42mm was more comfortable on MY wrist (your wrist may differ)
2) Love the original look! Love the orange hand!
3) No future repair bills for trouble shooting rotating bezel in future from sand at beach (are you a diver? Would you dive w/ your Sub? If not, no rotating bezel is really necessary).
4) Love the Luminated markers!
5) EASY TO READ dial. A big seller for me here! Do yourself a favor, and definitely compare the two watches while on your wrist. the larger 42mm maxi dial and markers easily win here! (no debate needed).
6) Love the larger 42mm watch. Why didn't Rolex increase the size of the Sub in the most recent launch?? Don't know, but I'll take a 42mm over its 40mm brethren any day. It just feels better.
7) Sub is unfortunately one of the most copied watches of all times. Flattering yes... but do you really want a watch that A) Screams Rolex B) Potentially screams fake Rolex by the untrained eye?
8) I am a diver. NO ONE has ever gone down 300 feet sport diving, so who cares if the Sub can go to 1000? (can you say "Dead Diver"?)
9) Glidelock clasp? +1 for Sub-C. Rolex, you big dummies, what were you thinking? Was the EXP II not deserving enough?
10) The EXP II sings to me the loudest.

One thing you will here consistently on this forum is "Rolex got this one right" in referring to the 42mm EXP. Wow... how often do you here that?

Good luck. You cannot make a bad choice here. Determine what is important to YOU, and choose accordingly.

Let's look at some great photo's! (All photos taken from other TRF previous post, in which I do not have names to give credit. If you see YOUR watch photo... thank you, and feel free to claim credit!)

To paraphrase a line from a well-known movie; "You had me at 10)"
Old 13 September 2012, 07:10 PM   #33
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
I own both and will say I'm glad I don't have to make your decision.
The ExpII wears slightly larger but sits lower on the wrist and can say that for me, the ExpII is a bit more comfortable. I do like the shine of the SubC bezel but there are times I feel like toning it down a bit. Glidelock is second to none on the SubC.
Hard to explain but the ExpII just screams to be worn.
I say give it a try. The ExpII will not disappoint.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 07:16 PM   #34
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I think the Exp II is a very handsome watch but I only wish Rolex had fitted it with the bigger and more robust Triplock crown instead of only a slightly larger Twinlock.

(I always thought it odd that the GMT IIc got the Triplock and yet the Explorer II, which is presumably for more rugged use, retained the Twinlock).
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 07:29 PM   #35
Sunster
"TRF" Member

Here's my pic which you may have seen before. I love the Exp 2 and actually I've since sold the Sub C because I wasn't wearing it since I got the Exp 2.
With your small wrist though I think the Sub C would fit you better
Old 13 September 2012, 07:33 PM   #36
ckv_1860
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinger View Post
Sol,
If you have a small ROUND wrist (mine is 6.5"), dont even waste your time trying on the new explorer..that is, unless you like the look of big empty gaps between the top of strap and your wrist.
That is highly subjective! I have the same wrist as you and when I tried the 42mm Explorer almost made me change my mind (I had decided to go with the GMTIIc).

Many other people have said it before me: size has a lot to do with personal taste. So the best possible advice and what you MUST do is spend time in an AD - give wrist-time to the candidates, visit the shop 2 or 3 times, alternate your attire to help you decide what looks best and then, believe me, inside you will know! You will be spending a considerable sum to acquire a close partner for a considerable amount of time - you must get what really warms your insides and to do that you must let yourself free to experience these feelings. Atb.
ckv_1860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 08:17 PM   #37
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
I think the Exp II is a very handsome watch but I only wish Rolex had fitted it with the bigger and more robust Triplock crown instead of only a slightly larger Twinlock.

(I always thought it odd that the GMT IIc got the Triplock and yet the Explorer II, which is presumably for more rugged use, retained the Twinlock).

I had the same reservation when the new Exp II was released, but I find the crown is plenty big enough and very easy & smooth to operate. I also think that if a Triplock had been used, it would have necessitated larger crown guards and thrown off the overall proportions of the case (my guess is that the lugs would then have to be wider to balance the crown guards). The crown snugs down nicely into the guards, but with enough protruding to give it some 'presence' (if that makes sense!)

I think a Triplock was used on the GMT II C to make it easier to operate with the rotating bezel (edge protrudes further than a fixed bezel), and also to give it more of a 'Submariner look'
Old 13 September 2012, 09:34 PM   #38
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota70 View Post
GMT Master - can you elaborate on this Plz...

"its closest competitor would be the GMT IIc, and that has a very different design approach."

Thanks.
Absolutely. In terms of multi timezone watches, no one, in my opinion, makes one that's easier to read and more usable than Rolex. The cal. 3186 and 3187 (used in the GMT IIc and Explorer II respectively) are, in my opinion, amongst the very best movements Rolex makes - they've benefited from recent updates, and are well known as being superb timekeepers

With regards to the design, the GMT IIc is aimed at the modern businessman - someone who needs a watch to be reliable, practical, and look really sharp with a suit. The Explorer II is very much an outdoorsman's watch, just that little bit more sporty, a little less sophisticated (and I mean that as a compliment).

So, you have two watches with extremely similar functions with two different end uses. Clever stuff
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 11:15 PM   #39
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Absolutely. In terms of multi timezone watches, no one, in my opinion, makes one that's easier to read and more usable than Rolex. The cal. 3186 and 3187 (used in the GMT IIc and Explorer II respectively) are, in my opinion, amongst the very best movements Rolex makes - they've benefited from recent updates, and are well known as being superb timekeepers

With regards to the design, the GMT IIc is aimed at the modern businessman - someone who needs a watch to be reliable, practical, and look really sharp with a suit. The Explorer II is very much an outdoorsman's watch, just that little bit more sporty, a little less sophisticated (and I mean that as a compliment).

So, you have two watches with extremely similar functions with two different end uses. Clever stuff
Why the hell don't you own a GMTIIc????
Old 13 September 2012, 11:20 PM   #40
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Sub for me
Old 13 September 2012, 11:29 PM   #41
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
The exp ii is so much more proportioned than the sub. Having owned both I would go exp ii
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 12:23 AM   #42
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Thanks to all... I want to also add that this will be my everyday watch. For weekends and fancier occasions I have my TT Daytona.

I do not have to worry if an EXP II would look good with a suit, but I am sure it shouldnt be a problem!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 01:06 AM   #43
WatchingTime
"TRF" Member

@ Sunster - Thanks for the great photos I used of yours! (again!)

@psSmith - Thank you for a really great rundown. This is the first time I have read of the "why" differences of the EXP/SUB crown, and I enjoyed reading your post (along with numerous others I have seen).

@GMTmaster - Another well thought out and delivered post. I certainly do not question your knowledge, and value your input on any thread.
WatchingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 01:44 AM   #44
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
The twinlock plus is a perfect size. The triplock crown would look horrible on this watch.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 01:46 AM   #45
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Sub C fits my girly wrist better!
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 02:15 AM   #46
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater156 View Post
Why the hell don't you own a GMTIIc????
I don't know, one of my greatest regrets is not getting one at the time I had my Datejust - the price was £3600 then, now it is £5500
Old 14 September 2012, 02:22 AM   #47
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:

@psSmith - Thank you for a really great rundown. This is the first time I have read of the "why" differences of the EXP/SUB crown, and I enjoyed reading your post (along with numerous others I have seen).

@GMTmaster - Another well thought out and delivered post. I certainly do not question your knowledge, and value your input on any thread.
Thankyou
Old 14 September 2012, 07:17 AM   #48
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
SubC for me

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 07:18 AM   #49
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Keep the Sub

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 07:27 AM   #50
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
This Exp ii is going to keep getting more and more attention guys. My favorite Rolex I've owned hands down. My next one will be white though.
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 07:43 AM   #51
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
The best advice as always comes from real time wearers and there are some great points made in this thread from those members.

The SubC never managed to gel with me...and I have tried both the LN and LV variants and had them for enough time to form a clear opinion.

It was the same with the GMT 2C which was with me for a decent time also.

The new case just doesn't work on my wrist. I found i could never seem to size the watch so that I wasn't thinking about it. Just constant fidgeting.

This isn't common with others I know who own any of these models.

The exp 42 on the other hand is one of th most comfortable watches I own. That and the new DJII smooth bezel which is also fantastic.

The case shape and extra size of the explorer II work so well on my wrist. I have never had to adjust it since first sizing the bracelet.

The proportions of case and dial are spot on in my eyes.

The dial layout and 24 hr hand give the watch a special touch. It really is a seamless integration of all it's parts.

The exp 42 works exceptionally well in my rotation....whereas the subC was consistently pushed aside by the DSSD which I find more comfortable (go figure) and just has more that I look for in a watch. or it would be my 16610LV that would be a preferred choice.

Both are exceptional models, but my pick would be the exp II 42. Own and wear one for a month and I'd say it'd be a hard one to ever let go.

Some pics :

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 07:49 AM   #52
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
The best advice as always comes from real time wearers and there are some great points made in this thread from those members.

The SubC never managed to gel with me...and I have tried both the LN and LV variants and had them for enough time to form a clear opinion.

It was the same with the GMT 2C which was with me for a decent time also.

The new case just doesn't work on my wrist. I found i could never seem to size the watch so that I wasn't thinking about it. Just constant fidgeting.

This isn't common with others I know who own any of these models.

The exp 42 on the other hand is one of th most comfortable watches I own. That and the new DJII smooth bezel which is also fantastic.

The case shape and extra size of the explorer II work so well on my wrist. I have never had to adjust it since first sizing the bracelet.

The proportions of case and dial are spot on in my eyes.

The dial layout and 24 hr hand give the watch a special touch. It really is a seamless integration of all it's parts.

The exp 42 works exceptionally well in my rotation....whereas the subC was consistently pushed aside by the DSSD which I find more comfortable (go figure) and just has more that I look for in a watch. or it would be my 16610LV that would be a preferred choice.

Both are exceptional models, but my pick would be the exp II 42. Own and wear one for a month and I'd say it'd be a hard one to ever let go.
Thanks, that was helpful

The EXP really did not seem that much bigger when I tried it on. You just notice the dial a bit more as its bigger (and has a huge orange hand!) I think the value is there but there is just something about the heritage of a SUB!

But then again, I can always buy another Sub C, not like theyre discontinued
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 07:56 AM   #53
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Agree with Dalip above. My Sub LV C feels a little "empty" after the DeepSea (which I also agree, feels better on the wrist ... and that's a lot better). Too sterile? I don't know, maybe it is just the DeepSea honeymoon talking. I wore a 16570 for a few long years and wanted a Sub during all that time.

The GMT C wears too small for whatever reason (in my opinion). The Expy 42 looks very appealing to me.
Old 14 September 2012, 08:02 AM   #54
dalip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
Thanks, that was helpful

The EXP really did not seem that much bigger when I tried it on. You just notice the dial a bit more as its bigger (and has a huge orange hand!) I think the value is there but there is just something about the heritage of a SUB!

But then again, I can always buy another Sub C, not like theyre discontinued
Exactly

The sub that I have ended up with is the 16610LV. For me it fits perfectly, has a maxi dial which I prefer and the optional (and easy) change of insert

Some pics:

"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
Old 14 September 2012, 08:09 AM   #55
dalip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Agree with Dalip above. My Sub LV C feels a little "empty" after the DeepSea (which I also agree, feels better on the wrist ... and that's a lot better). Too sterile? I don't know, maybe it is just the DeepSea honeymoon talking. I wore a 16570 for a few long years and wanted a Sub during all that time.

The GMT C wears too small for whatever reason (in my opinion). The Expy 42 looks very appealing to me.
Great to see you enjoying your DSSD Serge. It's a top watch and it seems that those who own it generally speak of its exceptional comfort.

Old 14 September 2012, 08:11 AM   #56
darkside7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
Keep the sub.
darkside7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 08:48 AM   #57
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I own both a Sub and the Explorer II. Granted my Sub is an older model, however as an owner of both I will comment nonetheless. Size is just going to come down to prefefence. Proportion is slightly off for me on the new SubC. I felt the GMTIIC had this figured out as well until I tried it on. Something just seems off. Only my perception. The Sub is a classic. Has a great military feel and presence. It is very well recognized which brings its own pros and cons that have already been mentioned. It is the quintessential starter watch along with the GMT in the Rolex sports line. The Explorer II is just different. I cannot explain it in any other context. The orange hand pops but is not overpowering. It stands out in size, solves proportion issues, sports the newst Rolex technology, and is avaikable in two very different but worthy dial variations. I like the observation that the Sub is military and the Explorer II is outdoors. The Explorer has everything you need between the Sub and the GMT in one watch.

We are really arguing over hairline differences here. Choose the one that speaks to you but also consider the spirit of the watch. I think both have two very different auras.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 11:34 AM   #58
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
EXII is a beauty!
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 11:36 AM   #59
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
exp2. just my op.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 11:37 AM   #60
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:

@Psmith - Thank you for a really great rundown. This is the first time I have read of the "why" differences of the EXP/SUB crown, and I enjoyed reading your post (along with numerous others I have seen).

No problem - happy to help