The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 August 2011, 04:04 AM   #1
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy gold..
Patek Phillipe Nautilus..

Hi all

I was at the AD yesterday and tryed on one of these watches.. It retails in UK for £31,360.00

I don't think that this watch appears to be worth that amount of money...

-Stainless Steel Case and Bracelet
-Bracelet feels soooo tacky

Please help me out?!! Why is this watch so expensive? I understand all of the craftsmanship which has gone into it, but £31K? hmmmmm....

Thanks folks!
Dino

www.thewatchguyofficial.co.uk

Got a GREEN Submariner 116610LV.. Visit the official thread here! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179580

Don't forget to visit the Rolex & Attire thread too! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=215077
thewatchguy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2011, 05:20 AM   #2
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I'm not a big PP fan, but you can create almost any cost for a watch when you involve so much hand craftsmanship. The cost is not in the materials, generally, but the labor. If you pay a skilled watchmaker $20/hr and add another $20 for overhead, it doesn't take long to end up with $20,000 in labor. Added value is in the eye of the buyer, though.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

It all depends on your point of view. If you view it just on the material used, it is crap maybe, contrary, if you view it in terms of an art or craftsmanship, 'acceptable'!
Dickson Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
Dino,

Saw several Nautiluses (Nautilai? ) while in Austria earlier this summer. Never tried them on but they look great IMO! What reference did you try on? I prefer the 5712/1A but wouldn't mind a 5980/1A either

Will hopefully try one on next time I visit a Patek AD and see if your observations are correct

Here's a nice picture:

Sweramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2011, 06:03 PM   #5
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambaby View Post
Dino,

Saw several Nautiluses (Nautilai? ) while in Austria earlier this summer. Never tried them on but they look great IMO! What reference did you try on? I prefer the 5712/1A but wouldn't mind a 5980/1A either

Will hopefully try one on next time I visit a Patek AD and see if your observations are correct

Here's a nice picture:

Thanks for the picture... I tryed on the chrono version of whats on that picture ^^^ Not sure of the model number... I just found the bracelet increadibly cheap feeling and tacky, for that kind of £££ I would atleast expect it to have a little more weight to it or something

Got a GREEN Submariner 116610LV.. Visit the official thread here! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179580

Don't forget to visit the Rolex & Attire thread too! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=215077
Old 4 August 2011, 06:35 PM   #6
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

I found the bracelet to be amazing.

It's very thin (elegant) and very flexible. It just conforms to the wrist wonderfully.
Old 4 August 2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingoo93 View Post
Thanks for all your feedback!

Thanks for the picture... I tryed on the chrono version of whats on that picture ^^^ Not sure of the model number... I just found the bracelet increadibly cheap feeling and tacky, for that kind of £££ I would atleast expect it to have a little more weight to it or something
I see. Then it was probably the 5980/1A you tried on. Weight-wise... I guess Pateks in general are rather slim and more elegant. Might indeed feel different to a Rolex but I don't think you can compare the two really...

Picture of a 5980/1A:

Old 4 August 2011, 07:34 PM   #8
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Hey!!...

Quote:
Dino,

Here's a nice picture:

That's Riley's pic. A nice pic for sure. The Nautilus line is nice but I'd put my money into AP any day over PP but thats just my personal choice.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2011, 11:03 PM   #9
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I agree with you Dino. On the ultra-high end I am more of an AP guy myself. I just don't get the whole PP thing. Oh well...more $$$ I get to keep in my bank account I guess!
Old 4 August 2011, 11:43 PM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I just found the bracelet increadibly cheap feeling and tacky, for that kind of £££ I would atleast expect it to have a little more weight to it or something

or.....it's extremely well-finished, robust, comfortable and designed to be light. IMHO, heaviness does not equate to quality.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2011, 01:08 AM   #11
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
or.....it's extremely well-finished, robust, comfortable and designed to be light. IMHO, heaviness does not equate to quality.

I agree! I have a PP which I thought hmmmmm what am I doing when I bought it. Having said that, after I have been wearing it daily now for over 3 weeks, I can honestly say that it was definately worth it!

PP quality, design and finish, are something special. However,Rolex is Rolex and PP is PP. Both magical brands and the best in their markets! Love them both!!!
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2011, 02:16 AM   #12
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

I hate to disagree, I know it all comes down to opinion... When I tryed on the Nautilus I have to say the safety catch which flips over the clasp did not feel quality/ robust or well finished at all I felt like I was close to braking it if I gave it to much force. Each to there own

Dino

Old 5 August 2011, 05:26 AM   #13
Aivas47a

Watch: Love them all
I think PP is more in their element with dress watches than sport watches -- Calatrava may be the ultimate dress watch of all time -- but the Nautilus is a classic and will hold its value exceptionally well. I used to think the design (by Gerald Genta) looked dated, but it's grown on me and now I think it looks great.
Aivas47a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2011, 09:17 PM   #14
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Well...Nautilus is one of the most appreciated watch designs ever, Gerald Genta did a marvelous job with it and, as time goes by, it looks even better.
On the other hand, I think that any SS watch priced 30 grand is highly overpriced...but, then again, that`s what upmarket items are for...
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Hi all

I was at the AD yesterday and tryed on one of these watches.. It retails in UK for £31,360.00

I don't think that this watch appears to be worth that amount of money...

-Stainless Steel Case and Bracelet
-Bracelet feels soooo tacky

Please help me out?!! Why is this watch so expensive? I understand all of the craftsmanship which has gone into it, but £31K? hmmmmm....

Thanks folks!
Dino
Patek is the finest master watchmaker in the world. I would say all their watches are worth the price tag. I personally love the Nautilus as it is a Gerald Genta design just like the AP Royal Oak and the IWC Ingenieur. These three amazing looking pieces with amazing movements.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 12:10 AM   #16
Paracentesis
Banned

Watch: Tissot
The Nautilus is awesome, and the bracelet and clasp are a million times better than any Rolex. Some people just can't recognise quality and class when they see it.
Paracentesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 06:42 AM   #17
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
The Nautilus line IMO is a sporty dress watch and not comparable to Rolex which is better described as a dressy sports watch. Water resistance, finishing, cost... all reflect this difference. I think both have their places. If you're accustomed to thick heavy sports watches, get the Rolex. If you're looking for a stylistic statement, PP fits well.

As for the bracelet, I think the newer SubC's bracelet "feels" more substantial than an old 1665's "flimsy" bracelet. Yet, I think few people would call it inferior.

Would you compare a Porsche 911GT3 vs a RR Drophead Coupe? Both get you from A to B but the 911 is faster, "better" value, and more produced. I'd get the Drophead btw.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 01:08 PM   #18
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
I have been to PP AD and let me tell you I have tried on all 3 Nautilus 5711/1a, 5712/1A, and 5980/1A. They are all great watches. But for the money I think I would take 5711/1A. This is my next in the future I hope one day.
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 10:25 PM   #19
Yoda

Watch: PP AP RM
I am after a 5712R. Its the Rose gold on a leather strap. Awesome looking watch but very difficult to find at less then retail which is just over £28k. Interesting how PP have set the same price for the Rose and White gold.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 10:57 PM   #20
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
No hacking feature, a two second jump when the crown is pushed in, incredibly long repair times with commensurate costs, as well as outrageous insurance premiums, well...... what's not to like about the Nautilus?
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 11:57 PM   #21
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
No hacking feature, a two second jump when the crown is pushed in, incredibly long repair times with commensurate costs, as well as outrageous insurance premiums, well...... what's not to like about the Nautilus?
Very funny!

I do agree with some of your points and I'm certainly not a huge Patek fan but I would add that when wound the 324 movement used in the new Nautilus doesn't jump at all when you push the crown in.

The case and bracelet are outstanding and really have to be appreciated in person.
Old 9 August 2011, 01:46 AM   #22
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
I would add that when wound the 324 movement used in the new Nautilus doesn't jump at all when you push the crown in.
I am sure it is a comfort to those people that spent over 30K (USD) on the 315 SC movement that they fixed the crown jump with the later engine.

Nice to know that Patek has finally, after a century, succeeded inaking a properly functioning three hand watch movement.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 02:42 AM   #23
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracentesis View Post
The Nautilus is awesome, and the bracelet and clasp are a million times better than any Rolex. Some people just can't recognise quality and class when they see it.
Hahaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
The Nautilus line IMO is a sporty dress watch and not comparable to Rolex which is better described as a dressy sports watch. Water resistance, finishing, cost... all reflect this difference. I think both have their places. If you're accustomed to thick heavy sports watches, get the Rolex. If you're looking for a stylistic statement, PP fits well.

As for the bracelet, I think the newer SubC's bracelet "feels" more substantial than an old 1665's "flimsy" bracelet. Yet, I think few people would call it inferior.

Would you compare a Porsche 911GT3 vs a RR Drophead Coupe? Both get you from A to B but the 911 is faster, "better" value, and more produced. I'd get the Drophead btw.

Good point, and very good answer

For me I see a major quality issue with the PP bracelet. I'm sorry to say, all of the craftsmanship gone into the brand... They just need to be better quality for the money!

Thanks for the pic!

Old 9 August 2011, 04:03 AM   #24
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
What makes it less quality? How do you know what actually goes into the bracelet?

I don't think anyone has forgotten how many GMTIIC bracelets have weak weld spots but they appear solid on first look.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 04:35 AM   #25
Paracentesis
Banned

Quote:
For me I see a major quality issue with the PP bracelet. I'm sorry to say, all of the craftsmanship gone into the brand... They just need to be better quality for the money!
I'm not quite sure what the second sentence means, exactly, but speaking as a long-term Rolex owner and enthusiast, I think the PP Nautilus bracelet is outstandingly impressive. And everything else about the watch, as well.
Old 9 August 2011, 04:57 AM   #26
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
NOt a big fans of PP, but accoding to the price, it should be and have to be a number 1 quality watch.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 05:02 AM   #27
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

This thread makes me very curious to try a Nautilus out... I cannot imagine a £30k watch having anything but quality throughout.
Old 9 August 2011, 05:42 AM   #28
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

I did find some of the OP's comments quite amusing. It appears that he is basing his words & experineces on a brief visit to an AD.

Now if he had actually owned one of these pieces for a longer period maybe you would have the right to question the quality of the bracelet.

I agree with you in regards to the price, which imo is becoming unsustainable, but after owning a number of Pateks, at different times,over a number of years.
I have to disagree with you in regards to the quality of them.

As has already been mentioned, the designs on the bracelets of some of the Rolex models from the classical Submariners to the president bracelet left a lot to be desired.

Both models of which I had many years of enjoyment from, but still believed that the bracelets were the weakest part of the watch.
Old 9 August 2011, 05:49 AM   #29
Paracentesis
Banned

Quote:
I prefer the 5712/1A but wouldn't mind a 5980/1A either

5712/1A would be my choice, too. Great picture: the watch looks great on the wrist.
Old 9 August 2011, 08:28 AM   #30
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
I did find some of the OP's comments quite amusing. It appears that he is basing his words & experineces on a brief visit to an AD.

Now if he had actually owned one of these pieces for a longer period maybe you would have the right to question the quality of the bracelet.

I agree with you in regards to the price, which imo is becoming unsustainable, but after owning a number of Pateks, at different times,over a number of years.
I have to disagree with you in regards to the quality of them.

As has already been mentioned, the designs on the bracelets of some of the Rolex models from the classical Submariners to the president bracelet left a lot to be desired.

Both models of which I had many years of enjoyment from, but still believed that the bracelets were the weakest part of the watch.
Thanks for your answer..

I'm sure most pateks are great quality watches.. I just found the bracelet a joke for the money. Its an opinion which people clearly don't agree on but thats fine because everyone has there own opinion

Dino