The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 February 2012, 12:09 PM   #1
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
A little help on this watch - Jean Louis Roehrich

I figured the vintage forum was the best place, but if not mods feel free to move it.

I was given this pocket watch about 20 years ago from my in-laws and they had it for about 20 years before that. They were neighbors with the son or daughter of Jean Louis Roehrich, a Swiss trained watchmaker. They had several watches that were built by their father and this was one of them. It is basically brand new still today since I have never carried it or used it. The only scratches on the inside of the case are from me wiping my darned fingerprints off.

There is very little information I can find on Jean Louis Roehrich via a Google search. Looks like he was well respected and wrote a few things, but that is about all I can find. From what I remember about the story when I was given the watch, he worked for at least part of his career for Cartier, but that is about all I have.

I am hoping that the braintrust here may be able to fill in a little information about the watch I possess and its watchmaker.

The watch is approximately 45mm in diameter, made of solid 14k gold and has a NC stamped on the fob loop (?). Has SWISS MADE below the #6 and keeps really good time for an old watch - aff about 10 seconds a day. You can see all the other marks, etc.

Thanks for any information you guys can provide.

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
It appears to be a generic swiss movement in a gold case although counting the jewels appears to be 15 jewel not 17 unless the barrel bridge is jeweled which is unlikely. It looks clean, nice dial what is it your trying to figure out? Value in my opinion would be the intrinsic value of the gold plus 50 dollars best guess. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 02:05 PM   #3
sdwtchlvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Very clean looking...sorry I can't add anything about the watch though.
sdwtchlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 02:23 PM   #4
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
It appears to be a generic swiss movement in a gold case although counting the jewels appears to be 15 jewel not 17 unless the barrel bridge is jeweled which is unlikely. It looks clean, nice dial what is it your trying to figure out? Value in my opinion would be the intrinsic value of the gold plus 50 dollars best guess. Rikki
Just curious if anyone knows anything about the watchmaker and/or the watch. Not interested in selling it, but always curious about value. :-)

Thanks!

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
I googled the name and came up with the Jean louis Roehrich corp. in Ny City check it out it must me the same person
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 07:16 AM   #6
the edge
"TRF" Member

It's a piguet! What a prize!

Your watch was built by Audemars Piguet. It is absolutely SPECTACULAR!
the edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 10:09 PM   #7
Dominic R.
"TRF" Member

Hello I know it’s been a while since you posted this, but I‘m a watchmaker apprentice from Switzerland at the Zeitzentrum Grenchen watchmaking school and I recently found out about my quit famous relative watchmaker.
I also don’t know really much about him and I also would like to know more about him and his work, but I know that he was born before 1900 in London on a trip, but he lived with his parents and 5 siblings in geneva. He married an american woman in 1926 and that‘s the reason why he immigrated to the us.
He also had a watchmaking and jewellery shop at 5th avenue and he was lucky to find a watchmaker from geneva to take over his shop.
Dominic R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 04:15 AM   #8
attysmama
"TRF" Member

great grandaughter of Jean Louis Roehrich

Hello! My grandmother is Jean Louis' daughter. Jeannine living in Bay Area California if that's where your in-laws lived. Or, my Great Uncle Roland Roehrich in New York if I remember correctly may have been the one to sell to your in-laws. I'm interested in buying this from you if that's possible. My brother is getting married and I was thinking one of our great grandfather's watches might make a lovely wedding gift and I have one of his original pocket watch display cases to present it in. I read the terms and conditions of this forum very quickly and I apologize if offering to purchase in not allowed or is disrespectful. It's a beautiful watch. If parting with it is not an option, I'd also be more than happy to inquire about it to my grandmother who is still alive at 93 years young. Warmest Blessings, Kathryn.
attysmama is offline   Reply With Quote