The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 22 June 2013, 03:12 AM   #31
White_Au
"TRF" Member

Definitely harder to read the time with the white face as the hands blend in more.

I like the black face better, obviously.
Good luck with whatever you end up with!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130430_104832.jpg (68.2 KB, 1555 views)
White_Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2013, 10:45 AM   #32
AJM54
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Icon20 TT Daytona Blue Arabic Dial

The reason I went with the blue arabic dial, easier to read and w the red hands it had contrast. Do understand the lack of date; w the lume very easy to read at night. I'm very happy with it!

TRF 00109 Daytona.jpg

AJM54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 02:28 PM   #33
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Sorry but don't agree with any of your points. All of them seem to be personal issues and not the watch itself. I have no problem at all reading my black dial daytona and its bezel (the white dial is even easier to read) and have no issues with no date function, I didn't buy a watch to know the date and I have 5 other ways to know the date. And if you need your watch to pop, get a gold DD-II with diamond dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Okay, I finally received my Daytona SS White dial V yesterday. At age 42, and after owning 7 different Sub's (SS, TT, 18K), GMTIIC and a few others, I decided it was time to try the Daytona to stand out a little more.

Wow, what a huge disappointment so far. Now before you start throwing eggs, let me explain my opinion.

1) NO DATE. Okay obviously I knew that when I bought it, but I really had no clue how much I would miss that. Something I use all the time (for biz and contracts) and if you are thinking about Daytona you need to really think through this--especially if you owned a Sub.

2) TIME IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO READ. It really is hard to read time on the Daytona (maybe it's the white dial). I continually found myself search for the time with all of the other things going on on the watch, plus just hard to locate.

3) WATCH DOES NOT POP. Yes it's a nice watch, and different than Sub, I get it. But a little too bland for me. Again personal preference. The nice thing vs. Sub or other date sporty is that it's not a dime a dozen like Sub. But the Daytona is becoming a little more frequent (especially in Austin where I live and there is a lot of $$).

4) DON'T LIKE THE BEZEL. Impossible to read small numbers, and let's face it, unless you are into car racing of no use. Also, it 'blends' into the rest of the watch, which is a disappointment vs more of a 3D effect of Sub or YM.

I think after this venture, I have clearly decided I need a date and a little 'bigger' presence on my arm (seems small when you put it on vs Sub).

I will look at Yachtmaster S/Plat. Might be a nice combo to what I am looking for. I don't care that the clasp is 'old' and that it's not meant for Yachting--which is good since I don't own one. I also don't drive an F1 car, but I bought the Daytona. I'm a diver, but didn't buy my Sub for the 3 times that I went diving in the past 5 years. I would suspect most people don't really use their Rolexes for their intended uses on a regular basis (unless you count keeping time of course).

Had a Rolex for the past 21 years, and will continue to own them. But I am REALLY disappointed in the Daytona.

[IMG][/IMG]
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 06:19 PM   #34
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
After reading this thread, I looked more closely at the Daytonas at my local AD, just to see the watches in person. Of all the points the OP raised, I must attribute them to personal preference. The watches themselves are beautiful timepieces, some come on very nice thick leather straps, and the various dial and sub dial color combos are also individual preferences.

What deters me from considering a Daytona for my personal collection is that I much prefer a clean, simple look, and that just ain't what this watch is all about.
Old 24 June 2013, 07:05 PM   #35
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
SS Daytona.

One of my favourite Rolex watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09958rw.jpg (223.1 KB, 1511 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 08:57 PM   #36
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
SS Daytona.

One of my favourite Rolex watches.
Now that I like
Old 25 June 2013, 12:20 PM   #37
68camaro
"TRF" Member

I've had mine for 6 months now and love it as much as day got it. It really is perfect watch for both business, casual and laid-back wear.
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 06:36 AM   #38
ARTISAN
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
I FOUND THE BLACK DIAL SS DISAPPOINTING AT FIRST,,,,,,,BUT NOW I LOVE IT, I HAVE THE WHITE DIAL SS, ,, AND AT THE TIME WHEN I BROUGHT IT , I LOVED IT... BUT NOW SEEMS, JUST ALRIGHT / OK.. [ safe queen ]......AND NOW I HAVE JUST HAD THE STRAP ALTERED TO FIT MY WIFE,,SHE LOVES IT,,, COMPARED TO HER 26 mm TT DATEAJUST WITH DIAMONDS.
just hope I get it back
ARTISAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 05:20 PM   #39
WilliamFoley

Watch: Timex MF17 (gifted
Those Rolex's really look great..the golden one was the just the best..the glare and the aura was just perfect...the one with the red detailing looks a bit unconventional but is great i guess..
WilliamFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 09:45 AM   #40
DanG

Watch: Rolex Yachtmaster
I am one who also can not get thrilled by the Daytona. I have two problems with it:

1. It is hard to read the time on both faces in ss. The dial is too busy.
2. The large second hand is for the stop watch function and not the normal timing. It looks funny to me to see it always at 12:00. It makes me think that the watch isn't running.
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 10:46 AM   #41
build4boost
"TRF" Member

Watch: My next Rolex!
I love my Daytona.
Yes, it is not the easiest to read, it could be bigger and I do wish it had a date... but I have others for that. When I wear my Daytona, its like jewelry not a watch with a purpose and I have trouble keeping my eyes off of it.
I raced cars for 6 years and it has a special place in my heart.
Old 28 June 2013, 02:36 PM   #42
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I am one who also can not get thrilled by the Daytona. I have two problems with it:

1. It is hard to read the time on both faces in ss. The dial is too busy. - Umm..person issue again, a lot of us don't have this problem.
2. The large second hand is for the stop watch function and not the normal timing. It looks funny to me to see it always at 12:00. It makes me think that the watch isn't running. - Umm..it's called a chrono..
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 07:50 PM   #43
Griever369
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Have just picked up the white dial SS Daytona after for years being adamant I don't like the Daytona. An still admiring the dial almost everyday. Today decided to wear one of my other SS and had difficulty not picking the Daytona up again. The GMTIIC seemed heavy and bland and the YM just looked too plain. I understand I'm in the honeymoon period but managed to force myself to wear the YM. I agree as a businessman having the date is a very important feature to me and I am annoyed that the Daytona doesn't have it. But seeing how asymmetrical it makes a dial look after adding a date window on other models I know I probably wouldn't admire the dial as much if it had the date. So now with my selection below now I just wear what I feel like that day. Though I do want the honeymoon period to wear out so I won't favor one so much.

Rolex Datejust 116231, Omega Deville GMT 4651.20.32, Rolex GMT 116713LN, Rolex GMT 16753, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Grand Seiko(LE) SBGM029, Rolex YM (Plat dial) 116622, Mont Blanc 107070, Rolex Milgauss 116400GV, Rolex Daytona(White dial) 116520, Black Shield (Red).
Griever369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 07:51 PM   #44
Griever369
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Ps. Dial isn't hard to read. And on the white it seems to look less busy than the black personally.

Rolex Datejust 116231, Omega Deville GMT 4651.20.32, Rolex GMT 116713LN, Rolex GMT 16753, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Grand Seiko(LE) SBGM029, Rolex YM (Plat dial) 116622, Mont Blanc 107070, Rolex Milgauss 116400GV, Rolex Daytona(White dial) 116520, Black Shield (Red).
Griever369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2013, 06:40 AM   #45
Joom Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona WG Panda
Here is some of my collection.I agree with it is harder to read than some watches and no date.Anyway the reason that I love my WG Daytona because of the collection and its beauty....... It put a big smile on my face every time when I have it on my wrist.I am believe that almost everyone on this forum want to add Daytona in your collection.

Joom Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2013, 06:54 AM   #46
stocksj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I the focus is about the look and style of the watch. Plus, it's a stop watch. Not a calender.
stocksj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 05:59 AM   #47
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I have to admit I am wearing my new TT Daytona more that I thought. I have the white dial and love it. In the morning, I have to concentrate on what the date is and I am fine.
Old 12 August 2013, 11:10 AM   #48
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
I love Daytona, only one that I hate most ..... my girl friend can wear it and looks nice on her.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 11:49 AM   #49
accce
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
I agree so I made a few mods to mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4192.jpg (65.2 KB, 1203 views)
accce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 01:36 PM   #50
Rolexpilot
Banned

Why buy a watch you don't like?
Rolexpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 01:56 PM   #51
WilliamFoley

Watch: Timex MF17 (gifted
The one with the white dial looks awesome..That Rolex is certainly an another masterpiece from Rolex and is just awesome.
WilliamFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 06:18 PM   #52
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I agree so I made a few mods to mine.

That looks even more difficult to read than my white SS dial and I still can't read the date.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2013, 02:11 AM   #53
jd1566
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster date c.1965
Hi guys.
I don't own a Sub or a Daytona, just a few lowly dates and datejusts.. HOWEVER I do know the feeling of not having a date on the watch! So consider a vintage Tudor, which does have the day and a much less busy dial. There's a beautiful one on Ebay right now and as far as I know should be automatic. Also the Bezel rotates like the sub and is black, so makes a contrast. NB - I don't own the watch on sale, I just wish I did! I'm looking out for a Sub though.. Chrono's are cool, but really, we just play with the hands. I'd rather rotate the dial of a Sub! :-)
jd1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 05:11 AM   #54
408cissss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP PP
love mine[ATTACH]
408cissss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 05:47 AM   #55
Red993
"TRF" Member

I think I'm in the same boat as a number of you in that I couldn't wait to get a Daytona as it was my absolute dream watch. Once I had one, I found the inability to change time zones to be an issue. Plus, I just didn't want to travel with it.

So, I purchased a SS/Black GMT for travel. I find that I wear the GMT pretty much all the time and that the Daytona stays on the winder, tying up capital.

Also, I'm sure this has been covered before but I find I receive so many more compliments on the GMT than the Daytona. I'm sure it has everything to do with the GMT's signature date 'bubble'.
Red993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 05:52 AM   #56
Mrdi
Banned

Want easy ti read?
Explorer.
NOT II, the original Explorer.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2013, 01:19 AM   #57
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Why is it that some people have such a love hate relationship with the Daytona ?
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2013, 01:22 AM   #58
Mrdi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycturbovr6 View Post
Why is it that some people have such a love hate relationship with the Daytona ?
Seems like a black or white situation
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2013, 01:06 PM   #59
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
I can see where the OP is coming from. Frankly, I loved my white dial Daytona when I had it. However, there were other watches in the price range that I found more attractive. My Speedmaster remains in my collection...and always will. Simply THE perfect chrono, IMO.
Old 3 October 2013, 03:29 PM   #60
XZACM102
"TRF" Member

I just recently purchased SS Daytona / white dial and I love it. To that extent that if I had to face a decision (hope will never have to) to keep just one watch in my collection I would keep this one.
XZACM102 is offline   Reply With Quote