The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 November 2016, 02:11 PM   #1
ohgee
"TRF" Member

i'm thinking of refinishing my wakmann

hi there! long time lurker, first time poster, so i hope i'm posting this in the right area.

so a couple of years ago my father handed down to me his 1960's wakmann in 18kt case with gold bar markers and hands that was in terrible shape.

i took it to my old watch repair man in eureka,ca (before he broke his elbow and had to retire) and he fixed the movement and got it running again and he got the chronometer working also, so now it's a beautifully running watch.

unfortunately it had a cracked crystal for years sitting in my fathers dresser drawer with water damage on the dial (as shown in the pictures), so part of the tachymeter has washed away, getting to the point of my post.

i'm looking to get the dial refinished and relumed, along with reluming the hands. so i'm hoping the gentlemen and scholars on here could recommend some quality refinishers. i don't ever plan on selling the watch, so i'm not concerned about losing resale value.but i also don't want a hack job done on my vintage watch! i've heard of international dial co and watchrepair.cc but i'm not sure of their reliability, so any first hand accounts would be welcome.

thanks for any help.

chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0336.jpg (86.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0338.jpg (59.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0337.jpg (60.5 KB, 143 views)
ohgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 04:22 AM   #2
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch with history...i would leave it as is.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2016, 05:23 PM   #3
SonnyAK
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc TT
Dan Bailey restored both of these watches for me about 17 years ago. Here's his link: http://www.thewatchshopbirmingham.com

He did great work on these for me back then. The gold chronograph was my Grandfather's and it was very beat up, dented case, broken crystal, and not running at all. Still keeps great time now and everything works. The stainless Breitling was my Dad's watch and it was running, but missing a pusher and the face was very weary. Still runs perfect, keeps great time and all functions work. Dan restored them both but kept them looking period correct and not over restored. I was very happy with the outcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AIR_2441_2.jpg (62.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1849.jpg (68.9 KB, 75 views)