The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2017, 06:53 AM   #31
MonBK
Banned

I'm shocked that TRF's "First Lady" hasn't joined this thread yet?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 07:00 AM   #32
jfp2476
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Considering the ongoing changes (especially in the women's fashion world), can any designer purse/handbag be truly considered a 'collectible' (or worth keeping over the long haul)?

How many of these purses from decades/centuries past retain any real extrinsic value (except for maybe retro-fashionista interest and museum curators)? Do these items offer a decent return on the used/resale market? Personally and practically speaking, I would much rather have $1K-$10K in available/accessible CASH in lieu of an ostentatious/overpriced handbag. Then again, this is coming from a male perspective.

On the other hand, I have no problem with overpriced 6" stilettos (as long as the wearer has the calves to go with them).
Gotta love it when Bristol joins in. If you're actually interested and not just trying to create a stir, head on over to TPF and get yourself educated. Have a great day!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
jfp2476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 07:07 AM   #33
jfp2476
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
You can flip handbags just like watches, (not quite the same). - Here's a couple of sites

https://www.yoogiscloset.com/latest-arrivals

https://www.fashionphile.com/shop/categories/handbags
Yep, these are two reputable resellers. The handbag market, much like any other, is nuanced. Lots of factors influencing demand and price. Those who are in the small subset of folks (akin to the group here) who are serial flippers and/or who just buy a lot (I'm at approximately 35ish bags, down from a high of 60ish) know all the trusted/reputable resellers. That said, flipping bags is almost always a losing proposition, which is why I now stay very very far away from "it" (aka trend) bags. I think in all my years I've made money on 3 or 4 bags, and those were (by luck) timed just right.

Old 23 January 2017, 07:16 AM   #34
jfp2476
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
I love this!!!! I'm going to watch it!
So excited!

Old 23 January 2017, 07:26 AM   #35
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp2476 View Post
Yep, these are two reputable resellers. The handbag market, much like any other, is nuanced. Lots of factors influencing demand and price. Those who are in the small subset of folks (akin to the group here) who are serial flippers and/or who just buy a lot (I'm at approximately 35ish bags, down from a high of 60ish) know all the trusted/reputable resellers. That said, flipping bags is almost always a losing proposition, which is why I now stay very very far away from "it" (aka trend) bags. I think in all my years I've made money on 3 or 4 bags, and those were (by luck) timed just right.

Totally Agree - Not a money maker at all . Just a way to clean out so she can by more
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 07:31 AM   #36
jfp2476
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Totally Agree - Not a money maker at all . Just a way to clean out so she can by more
Exactly. I'll have a culling once every year or two where I'll select some to sell (typically I don't use consignment, which helps me recoup maximum funds), and then just repurchase new and/or discontinued/HTF (hard to find) bags with the proceeds.

And of course, I'm also buying throughout those couple of years between parings.

Lather, rinse, repeat

Old 23 January 2017, 10:15 AM   #37
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I made enough on Poshmark selling some older Brahmins (5 to 10 years old) because they were kept in bags with original tags and receipts, to buy a few Frye purses. I weeded out the stuff I wasn't planning on using any more and I will also buy during sales and get some great deals.

I think I am going to buy the BV on eBay next week if it's still hanging out.
Old 23 January 2017, 11:05 AM   #38
jfp2476
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
I made enough on Poshmark selling some older Brahmins (5 to 10 years old) because they were kept in bags with original tags and receipts, to buy a few Frye purses. I weeded out the stuff I wasn't planning on using any more and I will also buy during sales and get some great deals.

I think I am going to buy the BV on eBay next week if it's still hanging out.
I do the same (keep tags, receipts, care cards, dustbags, etc...almost like Rolexes with box/papers, LOL!).

Let me know what happens with that BV! I looked into the color a little, it's a pretty bright blue (I googled electric blue for comparisons since I think her pics are a little dark). I personally I love it!!

I'm currently trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on this:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/292002714536

It's been on my want list for 3ish years, they are super rare. It was a very limited color for this style. The ottone finish is like a pebbled sandy gold metallic. The only downside is that over time the finish does wear, since its a coating, and so it would only be for infrequent use.

Old 23 January 2017, 11:24 AM   #39
keschete
"TRF" Member

I think it will match my favorite shoes!!!

Old 23 January 2017, 11:28 AM   #40
keschete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp2476 View Post
I do the same (keep tags, receipts, care cards, dustbags, etc...almost like Rolexes with box/papers, LOL!).

Let me know what happens with that BV! I looked into the color a little, it's a pretty bright blue (I googled electric blue for comparisons since I think her pics are a little dark). I personally I love it!!

I'm currently trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on this:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/292002714536

It's been on my want list for 3ish years, they are super rare. It was a very limited color for this style. The ottone finish is like a pebbled sandy gold metallic. The only downside is that over time the finish does wear, since its a coating, and so it would only be for infrequent use.

That bag you're looking at is spectacular. The weaving of the leather is gorgeous. That blue otherness I'm looking at is basically royal blue. It's my favorite color. That's why I'm mulling it over. Wanting to make sure I really want it. I'm going to hunt down the color. The Saks add has the same color. I'm going to message her and see if she knows the exact color. I'm sure it's on the paperwork for the bag.
Old 23 January 2017, 11:54 AM   #41
jfp2476
"TRF" Member

Thanks! Even though I really want it I'm on the fence because it can't be an everyday bag.

As far as the color, it might or might not be on the paperwork. BV uses color codes which are sometimes cryptic. I can comb through the BV forum and see if I can pinpoint the season it's from, which will help in figuring out the exact color.

Old 23 January 2017, 12:28 PM   #42
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
If you like BV then Yoogi's all the way
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 09:32 PM   #43
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega