The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 March 2012, 12:40 AM   #151
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
This is a great resource. Thanks.

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2012, 10:38 AM   #152
watch4now
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT "Coke"
Time Saver

Great Resources and very helpful indeed!! Thanks...
watch4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2012, 11:24 AM   #153
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Thanks Bob, watch4now, do post pics of your vintage additions when you get them:)

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2012, 08:36 PM   #154
Balu
"TRF" Member

Sub 5513

Bought a nice 5513 from Mark Lerman, everything was great! Thanks

Vintage purchase experience Feedback List

Footnote1: While there have been no complaints or doubts about the authenticity or quality of his watches by buyers who have bought watches from him and is known for being a red sub expert and for his popular red sub article many of us have used as a guide, some serious allegations have been levelled about some of his watch's paperwork by those in the know, specifically about guarantee papers on some watches of his sold through Ebay. The allegations haven't been supported by concrete "publicly" available evidence by those making the allegations citing privacy reasons but that's not to say the allegations can be discounted and is upto forumers here to make their own judgement based on the facts available. In his favour, there has been no evidence of anything amiss when the watches themselves were taken to a RSC, other service centers, or for an expert appraisal. However in light of the serious allegations about the paperwork, for those purchasing full sets which obviously go at a huge premium compared to loose watches, do verify the paperwork when making a full set purchase, to be sure so that all boxes tick and so that you get your money's worth. Buyers/forumers, please feel free to provide public feedback with evidence if you find anything amiss with purchases.

Footnote 2: Please note issues raised by drainaps,Kyle in the earlier sections http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180461, asking the right questions from this dealer necessary to ascertain originality since this dealer might not have the specific expertise catering specifically to collectors as some of the sellers here, has a 7 days no questions asked return policy

A green (*) against a dealers name indicates that atleast 2 forumers have purchased vintage watches from a dealer here, have received them and are happy. So if atleast 2 of you have purchased a vintage watch from any of the dealers in the list, have received it and are happy with the purchase please say so here so can update the dealers name with a green (*).Also note that a single forumer purchasing 2 or more watches from a seller will be considered as one reference and not two.

Purchase Reference list: Besides the green star rating, for added green star rating accuracy, refer to this "Purchase Reference list" to get a feel of the quality of watches forumers here have purchased from their respective sellers. Forumers have kindly made recommendations here for sellers so that it helps newcomers here, thanks guys for that! Also this list can help confirm are genuine known forumers/buyers making buyer recommendations and you can do that by having a look at their historic posts here, feel free to use the search function to look up their historic threads for posted watch pictures. Though not 100%, the purpose of this purchase reference list is also to hopefully discourage proxy buyers who make fake recommendations on a dealers behalf so that they think twice before making a recommendation here since to prospective buyers, their thread history is only a simple thread search away. Finally, do make inquiries on the forum.

Mark Lerman (ezinternet,cruvon,Chris B,chiubak,Balu)
Jedly (Steelerfan65,bb3188, alanski)
Eric Ku (ddrees,steelerfan65,skyedog,Beaumont Miller II)
Ben (Jason71,yessir69,desfrie)
Jacek (ezinternet,Submarino,Mark020,shairan)
Andrew Shear (Steelerfan65,Tcaviglioli,Beaumont Miller II,bluemartinfan,Skyedog,Buffy)
Ralle (florianw,Burswood)
Steve Mulholland (Swearengen,davemcdus,SLS)
Ian Blowers (DiamondJack, chiubak,Monobike)
Jason Graham (learningtofly,alanski,badastronaut)

NB: While this list serves to collate all vintage watch dealers forumers have possibly dealt with (from fellow forumers comments above) in one place, it in no way is a measure of the quality/originality of the watches that are on sale with them. Please conduct your own due diligence before you make any purchases by asking questions on the forum, posting pictures, getting references, etc. Also please notify us of any concerns and if the forumers agree I can take them off this list.

VERY IMPORTANT: As always refer to the footnotes and do your due diligence when buying any vintage watch, even from sellers listed as having a green star, since past recommendations are not necessarily a ticket for positive experiences in the future, so ask questions and verify watches through the forum "before" you buy any vintage watch. This is a forumer purchase experience list aimed at helping newbies find a vintage from known sources and is not an official recommendation list or a substitute for doing proper research on watches and sellers before you buy.
[/QUOTE]
Balu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2012, 09:54 AM   #155
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balu View Post
Bought a nice 5513 from Mark Lerman, everything was great! Thanks
Congrats Balu, will update you in the Purchase reference list.
Do post pics of your new purchase for us to enjoy:)

Old 21 March 2012, 02:57 PM   #156
alwinlee
"TRF" Member

Bought an Omega PO late last year from Paul Seregin's
Sad to say it wasn't a good experience.
Wouldn't buy from them ever again.
alwinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 02:59 PM   #157
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwinlee View Post
Bought an Omega PO late last year from Paul Seregin's
Sad to say it wasn't a good experience.
Wouldn't buy from them ever again.
Thanks for the update, more info if possible please?

Old 21 March 2012, 03:02 PM   #158
alwinlee
"TRF" Member

In short I bought an Omega PO 45.5mm non chrono which was pre-used and on display with a bracelet. Upon purchase i requested that I wanted a leather strap which he changed immediately.

When I got back home, I wanted to change it back to the original bracelet but Omega told me the bracelet was for the Omega PO chrono and wouldn't fit the non chrono.

I emailed Paul about it and they said they are working on resolving this issue and would get back to me 1 week later. This was in August 2011. Haven't heard from them till now.

p.s the end links for the PO chrono and non chrono version are different and not interchangeable

Last edited by alwinlee; 21 March 2012 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Added info.
Old 21 March 2012, 03:22 PM   #159
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwinlee View Post
In short I bought an Omega PO 45.5mm non chrono which was pre-used and on display with a bracelet. Upon purchase i requested that I wanted a leather strap which he changed immediately.

When I got back home, I wanted to change it back to the original bracelet but Omega told me the bracelet was for the Omega PO chrono and wouldn't fit the non chrono.

I emailed Paul about it and they said they are working on resolving this issue and would get back to me 1 week later. This was in August 2011. Haven't heard from them till now.

p.s the end links for the PO chrono and non chrono version are different and not interchangeable
Thanks for the info, that's very slack of them, maybe try contacting them again, if necessary with a link to your post?

Old 21 March 2012, 03:40 PM   #160
alwinlee
"TRF" Member

You're welcome.
I actually wasn't expecting any form of compensation, just an apology would suffice but they didn't even bother with that.

Oh well it's been half a year and I don't know if I should actually even bother lol
Old 24 March 2012, 11:19 AM   #161
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I've always found some great vintage pieces at Watchworks in Portland. You won't see them advertised on their website or on display in the store, but if you ask Alex (owner) to see his best Rolex pieces, he'll get them out of the safe and show them to clients he knows or has done business with in the past.

He almost always has old Subs (I've seen some with provenance back to Jacques Cousteau), 1655's, old Daytonas, etc.

www.watchworksPDX.com ... always ask for Alex
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 04:25 PM   #162
snaggle

Watch: SubC, DJII, Omegas
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I am the best vintage seller BY FAR on this planet.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2012, 12:42 PM   #163
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I've always found some great vintage pieces at Watchworks in Portland. You won't see them advertised on their website or on display in the store, but if you ask Alex (owner) to see his best Rolex pieces, he'll get them out of the safe and show them to clients he knows or has done business with in the past.

He almost always has old Subs (I've seen some with provenance back to Jacques Cousteau), 1655's, old Daytonas, etc.

www.watchworksPDX.com ... always ask for Alex
Thanks Alex. Just need clarification, have you bought a Rolex vintage watch from him yet? If so can put his name in the list.

Cheers

Old 31 March 2012, 02:25 PM   #164
cruvon
"TRF" Member

EDIT: Meant thanks Mark(SS Oyster), not Alex, in the post above:)

Old 9 April 2012, 11:10 AM   #165
BarryN
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner 0552/923-7697 2**/75

Hi all. I bought an old Rolex Submariner in a junk shop in Brighton UK around 1987. Can anyone tell me about my watch? On the face is an unusual symbol under the hands it looks like a T in a circle. On the back is another symbol that looks like an upside down V above a shape like a pyramid which is shaded in. It also has the following numbers inscribed on the back 0552/923-7697 and 2**/75 Thank you
Barry
barry@barrynovis.com

Last edited by HL65; 9 April 2012 at 08:53 PM..
BarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2012, 11:57 AM   #166
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN View Post
Hi all. I bought an old Rolex Submariner in a junk shop in Brighton UK around 1987. Can anyone tell me about my watch? On the face is an unusual symbol under the hands it looks like a T in a circle. On the back is another symbol that looks like an upside down V above a shape like a pyramid which is shaded in. It also has the following numbers inscribed on the back 0552/923-7697 and 2**/75 Thank you
Barry
barry@barrynovis.com
Welcome, if is a T in a circle, that indicates a milsub which is much rarer and valuable. you will need post pics in the vintage section for the experts to look at.

Last edited by HL65; 9 April 2012 at 08:54 PM..
Old 9 April 2012, 01:40 PM   #167
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN View Post
Barry
barry@barrynovis.com
barry now has an update of what it is, what its worth and what the next steps are to get it checked over properly

Last edited by HL65; 9 April 2012 at 08:54 PM..
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 01:26 AM   #168
Roadstar
"TRF" Member

Has any forum member dealt with melrosejewelers.com in the past? They seem to have an extensive selection and a decent return policy on paper anyways. Any opinions about them would be appreciated.

TL
Roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 07:33 AM   #169
kaenmorte
Banned

Watch: RRR
Thank's for info.
kaenmorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 05:21 AM   #170
apan
"TRF" Member

I would like to recommend George Aloi of Tempvus Fvgit.
http://www.tempvsfvgit.com

George is a gentleman and a very honest dealer. His shop is on the smaller side but he has a solid selection of vintage Rolex.

I recently purchased a 1016 from George and am very satisfied with the transaction
apan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 02:15 PM   #171
cruvon
"TRF" Member

thanks for the info/evaluation ssOyster, snaggle, jedly1, apan. Will add in your recommendations to the next update of the list.

Old 4 May 2012, 12:16 AM   #172
Gaucho20

I am working on buying a vintage bracelet from Steve Mulholland. Has anyone heard that he had a fire at his place? I hope he is doing ok, and that nobody was injured.

Last edited by Gaucho20; 4 May 2012 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Accidentally submitted prior to finishing.
Gaucho20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2012, 01:10 AM   #173
Twsns

Watch: 5513
John at 70 bowery NYC is legit, and has a great selection of older Rolex pieces. Fair prices and nice guy. He's there generally after 230pm. Closed Sundays.
www.alltiques.com

Also in the Diamond District I've really only found dealer who's worth dealing with, his name is Gregory or George and he's located on 37 W. 47th St. You walk in and he's directly to the left. He has a great selection of vintage Rolex parts and watches. Nice and very knowledgeable. I've purchased parts from him before. He's there's through the week till 4pm and not sure his weekend schedule.
Twsns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2012, 03:12 AM   #174
sryukon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 16800
I just bought my Tudor DayDate 94500 from Derek Dier- http://www.watchestobuy.com/ Very nice and clean. This is Dereks third good purchase Green Star?
sryukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2012, 10:52 AM   #175
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryukon View Post
I just bought my Tudor DayDate 94500 from Derek Dier- http://www.watchestobuy.com/ Very nice and clean. This is Dereks third good purchase Green Star?
Thanks for the info, checked thread history, he does have the minimum required 2 good member recommendations from atleast 2 members on this thread catered to Tudor purchases, will mark him with a green star as a Tudor contact. Will add you and others who've kindly made a recommendation in the Purchase reference list,

Cheers!

Old 9 May 2012, 09:53 AM   #176
ndnbill
"TRF" Member

Josh Bonifas

I have bought several watches from Josh at Fourtane. Always treated me fairly and their vintage section is very deep. Highest recomendation.
ndnbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 12:17 AM   #177
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnbill View Post
I have bought several watches from Josh at Fourtane. Always treated me fairly and their vintage section is very deep. Highest recomendation.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 17 May 2012, 05:20 AM   #178
r14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I have bought 4 watches from Ben. He is GREAT. As long as you can get through the customs issue, he is the best. I don't know how to contact him other than:

nbtimes@gmail.com
How do you get old Rolex to clear customs w/o taxed? Any trick?Thank you.
r14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 06:22 PM   #179
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Hi guys, updates to the list here, thanks for your valuable input, the "Seller list" and "Purchase reference list" have been updated with your recommendations.
Derek Dier, who's a Tudor contact, welcome to Green Star status!

Also a slight change in rules from here forward, a member making a recommendation will now require to have atleast 50 posts in the "Vintage Section" before recommending a seller they've made a vintage Rolex watch purchase from. This is to avoid fly by members making recommendations here. Offcourse a more accurate way to cross check fly by recommendations is by also cross checking who the members making recommendations are in the the "Purchase Reference List" to ensure that recommendations are from regular forumers/genuine buyers. Lastly, a reminder that while this list is an attempt to assist newbies entering the vintage Rolex world, it can never be 100% and should not be used as a shortcut for doing your own research for the best outcome with your purchases. Nevertheless, it's the best shot we have at putting a genuine list together with some checks and balances in place, enjoy!

Vintage purchase experience Feedback List

Footnote1: While there have been no complaints or doubts about the authenticity or quality of his watches by buyers who have bought watches from him and is known for being a red sub expert and for his popular red sub article many of us have used as a guide, some serious allegations have been levelled about some of his watch's paperwork by those in the know, specifically about guarantee papers on some watches of his sold through Ebay. The allegations haven't been supported by concrete "publicly" available evidence by those making the allegations citing privacy reasons but that's not to say the allegations can be discounted and is upto forumers here to make their own judgement based on the facts available. In his favour, there has been no evidence of anything amiss when the watches themselves were taken to a RSC, other service centers, or for an expert appraisal. However in light of the serious allegations about the paperwork, for those purchasing full sets which obviously go at a huge premium compared to loose watches, do verify the paperwork when making a full set purchase, to be sure so that all boxes tick and so that you get your money's worth. Buyers/forumers, please feel free to provide public feedback with evidence if you find anything amiss with purchases.

Footnote 2: Please note issues raised by drainaps,Kyle in the earlier sections http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180461, asking the right questions from this dealer necessary to ascertain originality since this dealer might not have the specific expertise catering specifically to collectors as some of the sellers here, has a 7 days no questions asked return policy

A green (*) against a dealers name indicates that atleast 2 forumers have purchased vintage watches from a dealer here, have received them and are happy. So if atleast 2 of you have purchased a vintage watch from any of the dealers in the list, have received it and are happy with the purchase please say so here so can update the dealers name with a green (*).Also note that a single forumer purchasing 2 or more watches from a seller will be considered as one reference and not two.

Purchase Reference list: Besides the green star rating, for added green star rating accuracy, refer to this "Purchase Reference list" to get a feel of the quality of watches forumers here have purchased from their respective sellers. Forumers have kindly made recommendations here for sellers so that it helps newcomers here, thanks guys for that! Also this list can help confirm are genuine known forumers/buyers making buyer recommendations and you can do that by having a look at their historic posts here, feel free to use the search function to look up their historic threads for posted watch pictures. Though not 100%, the purpose of this purchase reference list is also to hopefully discourage proxy buyers who make fake recommendations on a dealers behalf so that they think twice before making a recommendation here since to prospective buyers, their thread history is only a simple thread search away. Finally, do make inquiries on the forum.

Mark Lerman (ezinternet,cruvon,Chris B,chiubak,Balu)
Jedly (Steelerfan65,bb3188, alanski)
Eric Ku (ddrees,steelerfan65,skyedog,Beaumont Miller II)
Ben (Jason71,yessir69,desfrie)
Jacek (ezinternet,Submarino,Mark020,shairan)
Andrew Shear (Steelerfan65,Tcaviglioli,Beaumont Miller II,bluemartinfan,Skyedog,Buffy)
Ralle (florianw,Burswood)
Steve Mulholland (Swearengen,davemcdus,SLS)
Ian Blowers (DiamondJack, chiubak,Monobike)
Jason Graham (learningtofly,alanski,badastronaut)
Derek Dier (ezinternetr,Blassy,sryukon)

NB: While this list serves to collate all vintage watch dealers forumers have possibly dealt with (from fellow forumers comments above) in one place, it in no way is a measure of the quality/originality of the watches that are on sale with them. Please conduct your own due diligence before you make any purchases by asking questions on the forum, posting pictures, getting references, etc. Also please notify us of any concerns and if the forumers agree I can take them off this list.

VERY IMPORTANT: As always refer to the footnotes and do your due diligence when buying any vintage watch, even from sellers listed as having a green star, since past recommendations are not necessarily a ticket for positive experiences in the future, so ask questions and verify watches through the forum "before" you buy any vintage watch. This is a forumer purchase experience list aimed at helping newbies find a vintage from known sources and is not an official recommendation list or a substitute for doing proper research on watches and sellers before you buy.

Old 25 May 2012, 02:49 PM   #180
Dakota Rowntree
"TRF" Member

I have visited your two recommended sites and I have found the best one....
Dakota Rowntree is offline   Reply With Quote