The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2017, 11:23 PM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Love My FitBit

I know based on past threads most of you guys hate these things.

And I am by no means trying to sway anyone. I am just sharing a quick thought.

I have always been "into" fitness. But the truth is, I am anything but fit right now. I am definitely at least 10 lbs overweight, I have gout, back problems, high blood pressure, asthma, allergies, chronic heartburn, insomnia and an assortment of other things going on.

Oh yeah, and I drink (a lot) everyday.

So while I workout, I am realizing I am definitely not fit. In fact, I am pretty much hurting all the time.

So as many do, I decided to reinvigorate myself for the new year and work towards healthy fit, not just work on building show muscles.

One of the most important parts of fitness is tracking your progress, or lack there of. So I picked up a Charge 2.

I have to say that this thing is awesome. I am on day 12. Tracking the calories coming in has been hugely eye opening. Damn, I was eating a lot of unnecessary calories. In fact, I had about 800 left over yesterday and I was not hungry in any way shape or form. When you eat right, it is easy to keep calories down. But it is also so incredibly easy to eat double and even triple the necessary calories if you are not paying attention.

This thing forces me to pay attention.

And I am reminded every so often to move. And it tracks my sleep, and my heart rate and my steps and my weight etc. It truly is helping me realize the things I need to do in order to get healthy.

It sets goals and allows you to modify them along the way.

Truly, for anyone looking to start or modify their existing health regiment, this is a super tool.

Happy to say that I am down about 5lbs from the 1st and I have not had a drink.

I am eating healthy, sleeping better and starting to feel better too. The numbness is subsiding in my left leg and overall, I have more of a sense of well being.

Feeling pretty good and I just wanted to share. I truly do credit the FitBit for helping me along this path.

Oh yeah, btw, getting old really is tougher on the body too. In the past, I always kept myself in relatively good shape. And when I turned it up, I would be in fighting form within a 10 day period, pretty easy.

Now...not so much. Things are moving at a snails pace in comparison to back in the day. But I suppose that is why it is all that much more important that I get truly healthy now and then simply work on maintaining going forward.

Anywho, for any of you that are interested in making a shift I can't recommend the FitBit enough.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 12:17 AM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I was a Kiskstarter for Pebble and it's now gone as FitBit bought them out so the trend is upward for health related wearables. Good on ya for focusing on your positive activities.

Apple Watch also does the same function with activity. The reminders are a nice prod to get up and get moving.

Here is something I've noticed over the past 3 years with wearables. We seem to take the feedback and consider the results as an achievement that deserves a reward. Then, as we hit a bar, a restaurant, a fast-food stop, we "reward" ourselves with a higher calorie option.

Just my 2¢

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 01:01 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I was a Kiskstarter for Pebble and it's now gone as FitBit bought them out so the trend is upward for health related wearables. Good on ya for focusing on your positive activities.

Apple Watch also does the same function with activity. The reminders are a nice prod to get up and get moving.

Here is something I've noticed over the past 3 years with wearables. We seem to take the feedback and consider the results as an achievement that deserves a reward. Then, as we hit a bar, a restaurant, a fast-food stop, we "reward" ourselves with a higher calorie option.

Just my 2¢

Well, to be fair that has less to do with a wearable, and more to do with human nature. The same concept can be applied to someone that watches the scale. They lose a pound or two, so decide it is time to reward themselves. Or someone that lowered their blood pressure or whatever.

It is simply human nature. Being disciplined is hard, and there is no instant reward. Whereas a Big Mac is an instant reward. And delicious.

I am actually liking this thing so much, I am thinking about getting the Apple 2. But I will give it some more time before I go in that direction.

Old 13 January 2017, 01:11 AM   #4
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

^^^

In fact, I will take this one step further. I know tons of people that get in a good long workout and then go a nice big breakfast, or the bar afterwards, or even to pick up a Big Mac.

After all, they earned it as their reward for a lot of effort.

It is actually the wearable that can keep people on the straight and narrow. Because it is the wearable that is actually showing the damage being done and the detracting of all the efforts.

Knowledge is power. It is up to the individual to decide what to do with that knowledge. For me, I would much prefer to know and make a choice rather than take guesses and hope it all works out of the best.

Old 13 January 2017, 02:38 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
keep at it seth!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 02:43 AM   #6
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
I bought Mrs a Samsung Gear

But I took it away

She got so addicted to get her total steps higher and higher that it was sort of taking over her life !

At a moment she was # 2 in the world !

Good or bad ?

I don't know . . .

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 04:10 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
I bought Mrs a Samsung Gear

But I took it away

She got so addicted to get her total steps higher and higher that it was sort of taking over her life !

At a moment she was # 2 in the world !

Good or bad ?

I don't know . . .

That's pretty incredible actually.

Old 13 January 2017, 04:39 AM   #8
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Great work Seth. May you be blessed with continued success.

My wife uses a fitbit much like you and has seen excellent results. Really a great tool for tracking activity and nutrition.

Aging sucks...just seems everything is harder. Harder to keep muscle mass, body hurts most days so harder to grind out those long workouts. For the most part have chosen a fairly "healthy" lifestyle with daily exercise and decent diet over my adult life, but it does get harder each year to drag my butt to the gym every morning at 5:00 AM. Especially in the winter when it is cold. Still in decent shape but I seem to get a little skinnier and fatter simultaneously each year...if that makes sense. In the past I did not do much cardio and just did super sets with weights for cardio. I made a commitment to mix it up this year and started running again. 3 days of lifting and 3 days of running per week. 1 free day to do what ever exercise I feel like doing.

Keep it up!
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 04:46 AM   #9
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
That's pretty incredible actually.
It took over her life

Now I am not saying that is bad at all

But all changed to do more steps

Think Mrs first goal was 10000 steps

But that quickly raised and a lot

So it works but there's a limit

For me at least

Old 13 January 2017, 04:49 AM   #10
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

I have the Apple Watch... sitting inside my drawer after less than a year of use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 January 2017, 05:26 AM   #11
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I've got some friends who use them and they seem to enjoy tracking the steps/calories.
Glad you're getting back into shape

At 31 I'm still able to get myself back to relative normal, not my 21 year old self but close enough.

The holidays are killer. Before Thanksgiving I believe I would fluctuate from 176-179. As the year wound down I was up to 191. Happy to say I weighed in this am at 178, may just stay on this "healthier" diet and adjusted workout to see where it takes me. If I can keep or increase muscle gains and trim down the fat within the next couple months I'll be pretty pumped.

Keep up the good work, Seth Let's check in in another month and see how we do
Old 13 January 2017, 05:38 AM   #12
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:

Happy to say that I am down about 5lbs from the 1st and I have not had a drink.

I am eating healthy, sleeping better and starting to feel better too. The numbness is subsiding in my left leg and overall, I have more of a sense of well being.
Excellent progress!

Keep up the great work.

I saw my primary MD yesterday and he was quite pleased with the 65lbs that I've lost since seeing him on June 16, 2016.

Quote:
We seem to take the feedback and consider the results as an achievement that deserves a reward. Then, as we hit a bar, a restaurant, a fast-food stop, we "reward" ourselves with a higher calorie option.

Just my 2¢
As for this, I consider "cheating" to be a integral part of any weight loss effort. The goal for me is not to cut out things I enjoy, but to limit them.

Therefore, I can splurge on a schedule of about 7-10 days on something.

Last night it was ice cream. I had about a pint of mint chocolate chip.

The main thing is that my weight is down to a point that I have 3-5lbs. to play with without "crossing the line," as it were.

A too-stringent regimen is the thing that kills many efforts to change one's lifestyle.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 05:40 AM   #13
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
I've got some friends who use them and they seem to enjoy tracking the steps/calories.
Glad you're getting back into shape

At 31 I'm still able to get myself back to relative normal, not my 21 year old self but close enough.

The holidays are killer. Before Thanksgiving I believe I would fluctuate from 176-179. As the year wound down I was up to 191. Happy to say I weighed in this am at 178, may just stay on this "healthier" diet and adjusted workout to see where it takes me. If I can keep or increase muscle gains and trim down the fat within the next couple months I'll be pretty pumped.

Keep up the good work, Seth Let's check in in another month and see how we do
Nice dude. Love hearing this. Good for you.

If I can get to 178 I'll be ecstatic. That's 10 elbows away for me. But tracking everything is really helping.

Heck yeah, I'm going to put it in my calendar to check in with you in a month. Love goals.

Old 13 January 2017, 05:44 AM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Excellent progress!

Keep up the great work.

I saw my primary MD yesterday and he was quite pleased with the 65lbs that I've lost since seeing him on June 16, 2016.

As for this, I consider "cheating" to be a integral part of any weight loss effort. The goal for me is not to cut out things I enjoy, but to limit them.

Therefore, I can splurge on a schedule of about 7-10 days on something.

Last night it was ice cream. I had about a pint of mint chocolate chip.

The main thing is that my weight is down to a point that I have 3-5lbs. to play with without "crossing the line," as it were.

A too stringent regimen is the thing that kills many efforts to change one's lifestyle.
So impressive Grady. And for sure your previous stories have helped inspire me. Thanks for sharing them.

And I ageee with you. Right now, I'm keeping all things "bad" out of the diet.

But at some point, I'll be adding them back in. In moderation and limited to certain items. I have found I eat just to eat sometimes. And often it's things that I don't even really like that much.

My cheat days will consist of Big Macs, Whoppers and hot pretzels.

Old 13 January 2017, 05:46 AM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
It took over her life

Now I am not saying that is bad at all

But all changed to do more steps

Think Mrs first goal was 10000 steps

But that quickly raised and a lot

So it works but there's a limit

For me at least

Yeah. Lots of different personalities out there. My wife can be obsessive too. I think everything in moderation is the key.

Fitness is or should be a lifestyle. Imho anyway.

Old 13 January 2017, 05:49 AM   #16
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah. Lots of different personalities out there. My wife can be obsessive too. I think everything in moderation is the key.

Fitness is or should be a lifestyle. Imho anyway.
That's the correct way but with the app sh was so motivated to to more and mor steps each day

What might not be bad as I mentioned earlier

But there was no 'moderest' involved anymore !
Old 13 January 2017, 06:22 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Keep it up Seth. I use to wear a Fitbit after my wife nagged me for a year because she loved it. Unfortunately I prefer cycling to running and he Fitbit was short lived. My wife now does the Apple Watch and seems to like it.

On another note, after getting married in October I managed to put on 15 lbs lol so I too have been sans alcohol so far and am already down 8 lbs. I need to get back to only enjoying drinks on the weekends and I'll have no problem maintaining
Old 13 January 2017, 07:16 AM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Keep it up Seth. I use to wear a Fitbit after my wife nagged me for a year because she loved it. Unfortunately I prefer cycling to running and he Fitbit was short lived. My wife now does the Apple Watch and seems to like it.

On another note, after getting married in October I managed to put on 15 lbs lol so I too have been sans alcohol so far and am already down 8 lbs. I need to get back to only enjoying drinks on the weekends and I'll have no problem maintaining
Ha. Yeah man, that was part of my problem too. When we met I was nice and svelte.

Through dating and engagement, I put on a lot of weight. Dropped a fair amount for the wedding and then out a lot back on.

We are married two years at the end of the month. She teaches yoga and spin. I've not been in the shape I was, since we met. My goal is right back at 178. And then moderate drinking on weekends similar to what you are saying.

Old 13 January 2017, 09:23 AM   #19
77T

Quote:
^^^

In fact, I will take this one step further. I know tons of people that get in a good long workout and then go a nice big breakfast, or the bar afterwards, or even to pick up a Big Mac.

After all, they earned it as their reward for a lot of effort.

It is actually the wearable that can keep people on the straight and narrow. Because it is the wearable that is actually showing the damage being done and the detracting of all the efforts.

Knowledge is power. It is up to the individual to decide what to do with that knowledge. For me, I would much prefer to know and make a choice rather than take guesses and hope it all works out of the best.

ok

Old 13 January 2017, 09:35 AM   #20
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I used to like my fitbit, but found the rubber to be uncomfortable. Plus, I don't want to wear two watches. I want them to do a fitbit ring similar to this http://uncrate.com/article/motiv-act...tracking-ring/

I love the fitbit software.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 09:46 AM   #21
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
ok

Old 13 January 2017, 11:00 AM   #22
77T

Quote:

It's now my top favorite post on TRF. I used it 3 times today...

Vanessa Rocks!

Old 13 January 2017, 11:05 AM   #23
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
We are married two years at the end of the month. She teaches yoga and spin. I've not been in the shape I was, since we met. My goal is right back at 178. And then moderate drinking on weekends similar to what you are saying.
Congrats on your progress so far, Seth!

How tall are you? (If you don't mind me asking). I am right at 5'10" and closing in on my goal of 172 in the next month or so (fingers crossed).

Keep up the good work.
Old 13 January 2017, 12:45 PM   #24
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
Congrats on your progress so far, Seth!

How tall are you? (If you don't mind me asking). I am right at 5'10" and closing in on my goal of 172 in the next month or so (fingers crossed).

Keep up the good work.
5'10 here too. On the books I think 172 is ideal.

I'm not sure I could ever get there.

And thanks. You too!!

Old 13 January 2017, 12:53 PM   #25
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Seth

What model Fitbit are you using?

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 12:59 PM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
It's now my top favorite post on TRF. I used it 3 times today...

Vanessa Rocks!

When I see an "ok" posted I imagine Larry David saying it.
GB-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 01:12 PM   #27
77T

Love My FitBit

That's even better...he is my #2 funny guy after Stephen Wright.

https://youtu.be/LbzaDt0IbF4

BTW, Congrats on your progress.

Old 13 January 2017, 02:56 PM   #28
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Seth

What model Fitbit are you using?
I think somewhere above he said the Charge 2
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 02:57 PM   #29