The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 May 2024, 07:41 AM   #1
ADS
"TRF" Member

1950s 6015 Bubbleback - Unique dial?

I recently inherited this 6015 which I believe to have been purchased around 1950 which appears consistent with the serial number, 67XXXX, and the date on the accompanying chronometer certificate.

While researching the model, I notice a couple of curiosities; the words "Rolex Oyster" appear on one line. I have only seen this on photos of much earlier models (1930s). Secondly, the words "Rolex Oyster" are in an arc. I have only seen them as a straight line before.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this dial design, or any additional information about these models?

We had assumed a value of around $1-2K when dividing the estate, and for insurance. If a rare dial design, does this materially affect the value?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4009a.jpg (269.8 KB, 163 views)
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 03:46 PM   #2
oysterfisher
"TRF" Member

its a refinished dial.
Missing "SWISS" or "SWISS MADE" at 6 o clock is a indicator for refinished / reprinted dials.
oysterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 10:07 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Interesting. Is there a "Swiss" or similar tucked away at the bottom of the dial? Also, can we see the above-mentioned chrono certificate and anything else that belongs to the watch if you have it?
Old 8 May 2024, 01:38 AM   #4
ADS
"TRF" Member

No "Swiss" or similar on the dial I am afraid.

I do have some correspondence between the original owner and Rolex when it was sent for a service in 1954. Rolex sent a quote listing all the work recommended and the owner replied denying the work on the basis that the watch wasnt that old so how could it possibly need so much replacing! Quite humorous! Rolex goes on to write how they are returning the watch with the glass having been replaced with their compliments. Presumably because they started work before being authorised? Possible they replaced the dial then too?

I can upload the chrono cert - is there anything I should redact to retain confidentality? cert no.? movement no.?
Old 8 May 2024, 09:40 AM   #5
Old Expat Beast

The letter is also interesting, confirming that Rolex was as fussy about replacing so much in those days, too. I don't think you need to redact anything from the cert, except maybe the last few numbers on the watch serial maybe.
Old 9 May 2024, 03:13 AM   #6
ADS
"TRF" Member

Yes, for a (assumed) 2 yr old watch, they wanted to replace:
* New tube
* Blue Point glass
* Tension spring screw
* Barrel arbor screw
* Rotor arbor

Attached is the chrono cert.

Does the absence of "swiss" on the dial make it a certainty that the dial has been replaced? Just googling 6015 images, there are very very few that have it. I appreciate this could be because most have had their dials replaced.
Working on the assumption of a replaced dial, any idea where it has come from? As mentioned I have seen "Rolex Oyster" on the same line on 1930s dials, but none have been in an arc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chrono Cert.jpg (256.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 9 May 2024, 08:38 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast

The lack of 'Swiss' or 'Swiss Made' on a dial is generally seen as meaning a refinished dial, but I don't know if there were rare exceptions, where the dial may have been produced elsewhere or something like that. Hopefully someone with better knowledge than me can advise. I think it looks nice, though, and not obviously fake, but others will likely disagree.
Old 9 May 2024, 08:53 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I would do more research before concluding that the dial is repainted. The printing looks pretty much consistent with other dials from the era, and the edges of the recessed metal minute markers look very clean.
Old 9 May 2024, 12:02 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast

I found a couple of similar dials with a Google search for rolex oyster curved dial text
Old 10 May 2024, 01:56 AM   #10
ADS
"TRF" Member

Thanks - this helped me find a couple more images of curved text. They all appear to be from the late 1930s so that doesn't tie in with the significant evidence of the watch being 1950. I think the absence of "Swiss" on the dial indicates in all liklihood the dial may have been replaced at some point with an earlier version.
Old 10 May 2024, 08:30 AM   #11
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
Thanks - this helped me find a couple more images of curved text. They all appear to be from the late 1930s so that doesn't tie in with the significant evidence of the watch being 1950. I think the absence of "Swiss" on the dial indicates in all liklihood the dial may have been replaced at some point with an earlier version.
Could be, but 1930s to the year 1950 isn't that long, especially with a World War in the middle when global sales would have been extremely slow and dials would have sat around unused in the factory.