The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 27 November 2011, 06:39 AM   #1
papasmurf
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
Gold watches : Pam 197 vs Daytona YG

hi everyone- am looking to add a gold watch on leather strap to my young collection. Pam 197 is just a great looking watch with an impressive movement. But a couple reservations:

1. I hear panerais with non-in-house movement are less sought after. is that true?

2. are there problems w Radiomir winders snapping off? I read they are rather fragile

197 is about the same price as a gold daytona on strap in used market. Am i better off going w Daytona which is proven over time both in reliability, durability and resale value? They're both beautiful but I do prefer the 197 in terms of looks - altho I wonder if the 197 is a bit too much "bling."
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 02:31 AM   #2
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Less sought after- probably not. The PAM's with modified ETA movements are in relatively high production numbers and they sell.

I've never heard of RAD crowns snapping off. Having personally owned one, they work great and feel quality.

You're looking at two totally different watches, so comparing them is difficult. Go with your heart!
Old 28 November 2011, 02:38 AM   #3
Turkeyboy
Banned

As much as I love Panerai, if I were in the market for a Chronograph, Panerai would not be my choice. Their DNA is in the more clean Rads and Luminors............just my .02

Good luck!!!!!!
Turkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 02:52 AM   #4
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
hi everyone- am looking to add a gold watch on leather strap to my young collection. Pam 197 is just a great looking watch with an impressive movement. But a couple reservations:

1. I hear panerais with non-in-house movement are less sought after. is that true?

2. are there problems w Radiomir winders snapping off? I read they are rather fragile

197 is about the same price as a gold daytona on strap in used market. Am i better off going w Daytona which is proven over time both in reliability, durability and resale value? They're both beautiful but I do prefer the 197 in terms of looks - altho I wonder if the 197 is a bit too much "bling."
1. Completely false. That JLC movement is VERY sought after.
2. Not at all. I own 2 for record. My 111 has had a stem problem, but not my 210/190 (same movement as you 197).

Straps tone down the all gold watch IMHO.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 02:57 AM   #5
Watchonisto
Banned

Watch: AP, ROLEX, PP, PAM
Take Daytona
Watchonisto is offline   Reply With Quote