The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 November 2015, 04:57 AM   #1
ppasiakos
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Heading to Colombia in December

Excited to say that I will be heading to Medellin in December for a week. My wife is Paisa. Born and raised in Medellin. We have been married for a year, together for two. Going to celebrate and renew our vows with her family. Two days in Cartagena, the rest in Medellin. Excited. Probably will leave my Rolex and Breitlings at home. Any advise. I will be surrounded by her family, so not too worried.
ppasiakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2015, 05:33 AM   #2
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Medellin in December? I do not know if you have ever been there around that time of the year before but it is a blast. My parents no longer live in Medellin - They all moved to the outskirts in Llano Grande (Rionegro) a few years ago but they retained their apartment in Las Palmas where I stay when I want to hang out in the city.

I am not exactly sure where you'll be most of the time but I assume a tour of the city to view the christmas lights is on the menu.

Food: The Provenza section of El Poblado has incredible restaurants - Try some of them out, Carmen is my favorite. You will eat lots of Natilla and Buñuelos! Yum!

Entertainment: Around the Provenza area you'll also find a good selection of bars and pubs. Something for every taste, plenty of discos but don't worry there will be a party in every corner in December.

Shopping Malls: El Tesoro and Santa Fe are great. There is a wonderful Rolex AD at El Tesoro and they are VERY NICE there are other stores in there that carry Panerai. If you're into shoes, check out Carlos Nieto - Allen Edmonds quality for a fraction of the price

Places you cannot miss: Pueblito Paisa, Plaza Botero, Parque Lleras, Metro Cable

Watches: Wear your Rolex in El Poblado but don't go out flashing it around, in Llano Grande I openly wear whatever I feel and so does my dad. The outskirts are MUCH safer than the city but you'll likely be doing family oriented stuff so that isn't an issue.

Expenses: Send enough cash into a family member's account before you go - The exchange rate is phenomenal right now. For restaurants and shopping use either a Capital One card or if you have any other card without foreign transaction fees use that.

Caution: Don't walk around texting on your iPhone or Android. It is OK to snap photos and what not but don't carry it on your hand like may do here. Very quick to snatch from a moving motorcycle, only buy booze from restaurants or from REAL liquor stores. Around the time of the year the counterfeit booze is abundant. There will be petty thieves prowling on gringos but they won't mess with anyone who isn't alone. And although rare, if you are getting mugged, don't be a hero, just let them take whatever and walk away.

MAJOR CAUTION: Please walk around only looking straight. The abundance of DROP DEAD GORGEOUS women in Medellin is an insane thing. My wife is Paisa from Envigado and even though she is the most beautiful woman I know, I get in trouble and get a quick nudge because my eyes look in prohibited directions. LOL

Interesting things to do: Leave the metropolitan area and visit some of the Pueblos (Towns) Santa Fe de Antioquia, La Ceja, San Antonio de Pereira ( I strongly recommend this one as it is close to Medellin ) Guatape and Peñol - You cannot miss the magestic Piedra del Peñol and the reservoir.

If you need ANYTHING Medellin related or have any questions or doubts, please let me know.

-Carlos

http://www.sarepa.com/2014/12/08/christmas-in-colombia/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6266.jpg (41.3 KB, 81 views)
cdmorenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2015, 05:56 AM   #3
ppasiakos
"TRF" Member

Carlos, thank you for the insight. I am very excited to meet the rest of her family, see some that I haven't since June/July, and experience the place where the love of my life came from. I will try my best to only look straight ahead. Like you though, mi paisa es mi reina, muy bonita. I love her and she is extremely beautiful.
Old 1 January 2016, 02:32 AM   #4
ppasiakos
"TRF" Member

Just wanted to say that my week in Colombia was one of my best vacations in my life. Spent most of the time in Medellin and two days in Cartagena. What a beautiful country.