The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2010, 12:22 PM   #31
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTJOHNNY View Post
I still can't understand the dials on their faces. The GMT does not have a rotating bezel or even numbers on it. Too vague for my taste. The whole leather band on a waterproof watch also seems conflicting. IMHO.....I am a ROLEX man through and through!
John - Panerai use either an AM/PM indicator (233, 270, etc) or a more conventional 24 hr scale (88, etc) A rotating bezel would enable a third timezone, but this is not a pre-req for a GMT watch. Using an AM/PM indicator helps keep the dial clean looking.

Panerai's water resistant models come with a rubber strap and a leather strap. It is very easy to switch straps and this is part of the appeal of these watches.

Cheers
Old 19 May 2010, 12:41 PM   #32
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Clive,
just wondering... is the rubber strap on PAM long lasting ? some of the rubber strap I've worn before on my swatch / nike watches dried and cracked after around 2 years time.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 12:44 PM   #33
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
well the size is also a factor when the big size trend dies down.

but fashion is fashion and it will come around again.

but when it will come back again i dont know
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 01:40 PM   #34
leeye
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many......
Read in latest June WatchTime magazine that the watch sales in US and Europe is down but is still a growing trend here in Asia. Jan-Feb 2010 versus 2009, HK (+21.4%), China (+66.3%) and Singapore (+77.8%). Most other countries register negative growth.

Last edited by leeye; 19 May 2010 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Correction
leeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 01:48 PM   #35
multimedia
"TRF" Member

^
Yeah, I've read/heard (and of course seen it at the AD's here in SH as well) the exact same thing.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 19 May 2010, 02:05 PM   #36
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
Clive,
just wondering... is the rubber strap on PAM long lasting ? some of the rubber strap I've worn before on my swatch / nike watches dried and cracked after around 2 years time.
I believe they are high quality, but I don't use them - I don't swim/dive, and prefer leather.

Cheers
Old 26 May 2010, 12:27 PM   #37
cstegall
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII
I bought a 277J a few months back and have watched it hold its own on the value market. It is a limited edition piece(250)and in gold so that may be helping it more than I know...I see very few gold Pam's in the wild. I get very few negative comments regarding its size and more comments about its looks.

The various world economies are trying to balance out and the watch markets are no different.
Old 26 May 2010, 12:34 PM   #38
WJGESQ
Banned

I never understood their claim to fame?

Rolex has Everest.

Omega has the moon.

Panerai has, what, Stallone?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 12:43 PM   #39
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post

Rolex has Everest.

Omega has the moon.

150 years of history?

Most of which were spent as a dedicated supplier to the military

Cheers
Old 26 May 2010, 01:03 PM   #40
cstegall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post

Rolex has Everest.

Omega has the moon.

Rolex has Newman

Omega has Abhishek Bachchan

Panerai has Stallone

At least we all know who Newman and Stallone are.....
Old 26 May 2010, 01:08 PM   #41
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstegall View Post
Rolex has Newman
Omega has Abhishek Bachchan
Panerai has Stallone
At least we all know who Newman and Stallone are.....
I prefer looking at Omega's Zhang Ziyi over Newman and Stallone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OMEGA_ZhangZiyi_c.jpg (53.0 KB, 358 views)
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 01:16 PM   #42
cstegall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post
I prefer looking at Omega's Zhang Ziyi over Newman and Stallone
Cute in a delicate sort of way....I personally prefer looking at Heidi Klum wearing her Panerai...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heidiklumxq0.jpg (156.3 KB, 360 views)

Last edited by cstegall; 26 May 2010 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: adding a picture
cstegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 01:46 PM   #43
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
150 years of history?

Most of which were spent as a dedicated supplier to the military

Cheers
Ehhhh, pretty low key. Sure it's been around for a while, but not remotely as decorated. It more or less has been around for 15 years.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 05:09 PM   #44
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Decades as a watch supplier to the military, but even longer supplying other equipment... depth gauges, compasses, gun sights, signalling equipment...

Mike Horn's expeditions (North Pole, etc)

The watches were first sold to the 'civilian' market in 1993

Cheers
Old 26 May 2010, 08:47 PM   #45
Changmaisausage
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
As the war rages on Rolex v Panerai...

I've always said to my friends, Panerai are over inflated in price and new to the market place (relative) my 104 has grown on me over the last year and has plenty or wrist time with my Rolex's.

The Tudor spends the most time on my wrist for me its the complete watch design, price, looks etc.... ahhhh maybe I should sell the rest.
Old 27 May 2010, 01:24 AM   #46
niels74

where was the brand 10-15 years ago? Good >? i wish i bought loads then

as to comment on the rest of the statements.

as for re-sell value, who knows a few years ago the bubble backs where sh*t hot , and the sports models where hardly as populair as these day's , now they re-sell for "peanuts"

you can never follow a trend,what can be in swing one day , might fall out of love the next. i dont want to be found dead with the haircut i had in 88but it was cool then..... however true collectors with a passion for the brand either Pan / Rolex i dont think care for re-sell value in the upcomming years.

and lets be honest nor Pan nor Rolex really fall into the AP/Patek/R-mille of watch making either so end of the day , just enjoy what you like, if you dont want to pay the price then dont, it seems a lot of people are pre-occupied with the $ factor on there wrist these day's

just my 2 cents :)
niels74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2010, 01:27 AM   #47
multimedia
"TRF" Member

^^

Very well put!

Cheers,
Joe
Old 23 November 2011, 01:20 AM   #48
Nicekettle
"TRF" Member

Watch: kettle never boils
I happen to work at an airport in the NE Metro area.I see so many Luminors everyday, it's begining to feel like that song on the radio that has been played just one too many times.
I've admired the brand for some time now (specifically Rad's ) and have only seriously considered purchasing one since the introduction of the 337/338 due to the size and clean face.
However after some research I considered a 70 or 48 but my enthusiasm has wavered due to the seeming saturation.I had the same feeling for the Santos many years ago and i'm happy I didn't bite the bullet.
Nicekettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2011, 03:40 AM   #49
eric23
"TRF" Member

They can not keep any models in stock at my AD, But I am sure it will slow down soon.
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2011, 05:39 AM   #50
cd89068
"TRF" Member

The economy as a whole is softening the entire watch market. You can find a brand new Daytona from an AD for 10-20% off retail which was unheard of 3-4 years ago. Panerai isn't going anywhere they are just getting more popular and main stream among the watch wearing world. They have close roots to Rolex and will probably find themselves as the second most popular watch manufacturer behind Rolex when the economy flips back in a few years. They limit production and are one of the few brands that is really strict with who can be their AD which might explain why there is a large grey market for them.

However, women's high end clothing and purses are doing well. Coach paid out dividends last quarter. Keep buying those purses ladies :)
cd89068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2011, 06:03 AM   #51
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd89068 View Post
The economy as a whole is softening the entire watch market. You can find a brand new Daytona from an AD for 10-20% off retail which was unheard of 3-4 years ago. Panerai isn't going anywhere they are just getting more popular and main stream among the watch wearing world. They have close roots to Rolex and will probably find themselves as the second most popular watch manufacturer behind Rolex when the economy flips back in a few years. They limit production and are one of the few brands that is really strict with who can be their AD which might explain why there is a large grey market for them.

However, women's high end clothing and purses are doing well. Coach paid out dividends last quarter. Keep buying those purses ladies :)

A Daytona at 10%-20% off from an AD?? You must be talking about a precious metal version I take it...

I said it a year ago and will say it again- I doubt Panerai popularity will wind down, more like increase. Some recent events have ticked off a few die hard fans, but that's not where the bulk of their sales come from anyway.
Old 23 November 2011, 06:45 AM   #52
cd89068
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
A Daytona at 10%-20% off from an AD?? You must be talking about a precious metal version I take it...

I said it a year ago and will say it again- I doubt Panerai popularity will wind down, more like increase. Some recent events have ticked off a few die hard fans, but that's not where the bulk of their sales come from anyway.
Yea, my relationship with my AD is something special considering all the watches I've purchased from him. I probably shouldn't of said from an "from an AD" as I was thinking of my personal situation but they can be had brand new for less than retail all over these forums.

I second your point that the popularity and sales will continue to rise. The PAM312 started off with 2000/year in 2008 and is up to 4000/year. Some die hard collectors that wore Panerai for exclusivity will be turned away but the general public has only recently started to see and hear about Panerai. Just watch those production numbers rise in a really bad economy as proof of continued growth and popularity among the general public.
cd89068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2011, 09:58 AM   #53
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore
Winding down
My AD cant seem to keep in stock. I see more & more WIS commin' over to the dark side..
watchdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2011, 12:42 PM   #54
leeye
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many......
interesting thread to revisit.

seems there is a huge wait list for the new PAM models over at the Singapore, Shanghai and HK boutiques. so the fever is just heating up here in Asia. however prices of the new 47mm models with the P3000 movement is over 10 grand which many will always compare against current Rolex models (especially the Exp II).
Radiomir - PAM 410
leeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2011, 05:50 PM   #55
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeye View Post

Seems there is a huge wait list for the new pam models over at the singapore, shanghai and hk boutiques. So the fever is just heating up here in asia. However prices of the new 47mm models with the p3000 movement is over 10 grand which many will always compare against current rolex models (especially the exp ii).
+1
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2011, 06:11 PM   #56
rulessapt
"TRF" Member

Watch: u c
Panerai certainly watch their market with regard to numbers.
The 287 (Rad auto) went from 1500 per year to 500 per year with the M model.
I somehow feel it wasn't because they wanted to increase demand...
rather perhaps a decreased demand. As to the cause, I can only ponder any number of variables.

Where I live, I've never come across another Panerai owner, but I don't get out much ;-)

Cheers
Richard
rulessapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2011, 07:11 PM   #57
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeye View Post

seems there is a huge wait list for the new PAM models over at the Singapore, Shanghai and HK boutiques. so the fever is just heating up here in Asia. however prices of the new 47mm models with the P3000 movement is over 10 grand which many will always compare against current Rolex models (especially the Exp II).
Indeed. I think that the new models really are 'overpriced' - $10k+ for a base/simple model with acrylic crystal? I would go the extra for a 233, for example. Supply/marketing/numbers is a headache-inducing equation I don't want to try and figure out. Problems with the inhouse movements don't bother me so much as the apparant poor/slow support from Richemont, although you'd hope that a simple handwinder (P3000) would be reliable out of the box.

Anyway, they are great looking watches, and the market will make up its own mind.
Old 23 November 2011, 07:36 PM   #58
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

I don't see the popularity dying down, rather on the up with the increasing visibility and popularity. What I do see though is that it is no longer as "exclusive" and therefore for the "old timers" - it feels like our dirty little secret is out and every Tom, Dick or Harry has one. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just wear it an enjoy it for what it brings to you.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2011, 05:01 AM   #59
wasuki
"TRF" Member

my friend mentioned about this topic to me the other day, me personaly I think there's still a very strong market for panerai despite of its recent pricing.
wasuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2011, 06:17 AM   #60
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I have to the waning popularity is a combination of several factors: the constant price rises, sluggish global economy (outside of Asia apparently), and novelty wearing off.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote