The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 November 2023, 04:20 AM   #1
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Electric Cars....a perspective.

https://youtu.be/Vr25GkxqWk4?si=-Bb-n-o9SmwQiVmq
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 09:26 AM   #2
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Then there is this
https://www.dailywire.com/news/cost-...ne-study-finds
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 11:23 AM   #3
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Yeah the entire EV hoax is ridic

People will buy what is best for them
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 12:06 PM   #4
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Appliances
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 07:11 PM   #5
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Is that you Steve?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 07:49 PM   #6
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

This chap is fairly scathing on what has happened in the UK over the past few decades, the constant distortion of history to enforce a narrative.

RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 08:18 PM   #7
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Is that you Steve?
I fail to see the humour, Jock.

Old 3 November 2023, 05:00 AM   #8
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Haha, you guys need to invest in your rotten grid - regardless of EVs or not.
It‘s ridiculous to add these infrastructure investments to the overall cost of EVs.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 09:04 AM   #9
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

So I said to myself back in the day. I'm gonna make a fuel source out of tiny bacteria, plankton and algae buried deep down in the earth.

I'm gonna send some pipes down 80 to 12,000 feet and suck it out of the ground and ship it halfway around the world to we can run all our cars on it for the next 150 years. We have it here in Texas and California but I like the stuff from Saudi Arabia better.

And it will bring the world together in peace and harmony.

YOU'RE GONNA WHAT????
Old 3 November 2023, 10:22 AM   #10
Easy E

I just want to make a car that runs off of poison Ivey - the most useless, God forsaken plant on the planet. I would find a twisted sense of harmony knowing that I concurred a ridiculous foe, made a pile of money in the process, and somehow made the world a better place.
Old 3 November 2023, 08:41 PM   #11
mjm700
"TRF" Member

I don't know who to believe, but it's always a good topic. I do like diversification. Even if EV doesn't make total sense, if it creates a mix of what we rely on then maybe not such a bad thing. I bought one a year ago to mostly see what it was like to have one - a totally nonsensical one though - Taycan turbo s. crazy fun go kart and if the gas stations shut down I still make it to the corner bar. Plus I have V8s in my other cars/trucks so there is some cancelling out, right?
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 10:45 PM   #12
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Electric Cars....a perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
I don't know who to believe, but it's always a good topic. I do like diversification. Even if EV doesn't make total sense, if it creates a mix of what we rely on then maybe not such a bad thing. I bought one a year ago to mostly see what it was like to have one - a totally nonsensical one though - Taycan turbo s. crazy fun go kart and if the gas stations shut down I still make it to the corner bar. Plus I have V8s in my other cars/trucks so there is some cancelling out, right?

I think I’m somewhat in that category. I don’t want to see a complete phase out of ICE vehicles and I’m definitely against any government mandates.

But I don’t think it would be a bad thing if EVs had a greater market share. However, you’re kidding yourself if you think we can put the infrastructure in place anytime soon for 100% EVs. Three or four decades away, at least. People are naive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 11:17 PM   #13
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
I’m not in EV cars. Waste of time when you waiting for them to charge
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 11:29 PM   #14
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I don’t like EV’s and I live in Texas, but looking at the group that published this study makes it hard to think it’s impartial in any way.

Quote:
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 11:31 PM   #15
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1968 View Post

Yeah, let me know when I can get a 100% charge in less than 5 minutes. Until then, I’m not replacing any of my ICE vehicles.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 11:34 PM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think an EV makes a lot sense as a local around town car to make short trips and you can charge it at home. I say this not knowing how much this raises your power bill.

For long trips, I think we are not there yet and may never be. The constant search for charging stations, long charging times/lines and relatively short spurts of power would be a nightmare to me.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 12:23 AM   #17
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
I don’t like EV’s and I live in Texas, but looking at the group that published this study makes it hard to think it’s impartial in any way.
I'm sure you are not wrong, but it is not difficult to find any number of comparable reports. I'm still a very hard on the EV deal.
Old 4 November 2023, 02:48 AM   #18
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
Appliances
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I think an EV makes a lot sense as a local around town car to make short trips and you can charge it at home. I say this not knowing how much this raises your power bill.

For long trips, I think we are not there yet and may never be. The constant search for charging stations, long charging times/lines and relatively short spurts of power would be a nightmare to me.

Exactly right. As an errand runner appliance they would be fine for some. Make them cheap, utilitarian and recyclable. You wouldn't want to drive it far so a range of 100 miles is justified. Plug it in when you get home so it's ready for the next weekend trip to Walmart. The perfect 3rd car in every household.
Now that the geniuses in corporate are forcing folks back into the office to justify the buildings they own, it doesn't make sense for as many people to buy them anymore. Highways are congested again, winter is coming to the Northern hemisphere. It's just not a good time for city dwellers to force their ideals on everyone else.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 05:47 AM   #19
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I do think that from an environmental standpoint, it seems like EVs are worse to make but over time they are better for the environment than ICE vehicles. But of course that can depend on how you get your electricity.

One thing that I think gets left out of the equation is driving experience. My BMW IX M60 is simply a blast to drive. It is also surprisingly nice to eliminate the engine noise.

In the end, I think an EV is a fantastic commuter car but primarily for families who have a home and an ICE car for easier road trips. Plugging in in your garage is great and super convenient. I haven’t been to a gas station in months and don’t miss it. However, people that live in apartments are going to have trouble with charging.

Road trips beyond the typical range require patience and planning. Chargers can be occupied and or non-functional. When I’m going 4 or more hours, I use gas.

To me it seems like plug-in hybrids are the best of both worlds. Many people would be able to go their whole commutes (although I confess I don’t know the average or median commute length) on electricity and then longer trips it just uses gas.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:23 AM   #20
TRS1
"TRF" Member

Evs are great secondary and tertiary cars for the wealthy.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 08:39 AM   #21
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
So I said to myself back in the day. I'm gonna make a fuel source out of tiny bacteria, plankton and algae buried deep down in the earth.

I'm gonna send some pipes down 80 to 12,000 feet and suck it out of the ground and ship it halfway around the world to we can run all our cars on it for the next 150 years. We have it here in Texas and California but I like the stuff from Saudi Arabia better.

And it will bring the world together in peace and harmony.

YOU'RE GONNA WHAT????
AND, sell a gallon of it for less than half the price of a six pack pf Bud Light
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 03:37 AM   #22
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Scary.
Yet another EV spontaneously bursts into flames. (Plano, Texas.)
Just an isolated incident?
I don't think so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg th-2840092508.jpeg (17.3 KB, 308 views)
Old 12 November 2023, 05:51 AM   #23
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

From an environmental standpoint I have no idea whether EVs are better or not, I'm a diehard internal combustion guy

But I have to admit seeing friends and family never have to deal with annual service/maintenance, and never visit a gas station and always "refuel" at home is a nice convenience... most people in major cities do not need more than 300+ miles of range a day
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 06:33 AM   #24
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
We have long distances to travel at times and need to tow a trailer often as well into the mix so a battery powered vehicle won't cut it at all as the technology currently stands.
Especially if we would have to potentially install a total of 4 chargers in various properties to facilitate the operation of the vehicle.
I get as an around town run around car, they would be interesting especially given the reduced need to service them, but the longer term recycleability of the things are a concern
That said, a number of years ago I installed a Sh*te load of solar onto the roof of one of our properties in anticipation of the day I could take advantage of electrified transport in my later years. The Solar has been great as it completely covers my holding cost of the property, but the electric vehicle utopian thing hasn't miraculously materialised.
Given that there is not enough known reserves of Lithium, Cobalt and various other minerals in the world to cover off on the projected needs of the proletariat of the world it will simply remain as technology as a part of the mix.
Sadly, it will never be a be all and end all as things currently stand unless battery technology can catch up on every level.
EVs are and shall remain a means to virtue signal and as a status symbol for some in the cities.
Besides, I like my V8s way too much to give up on them in the foreseeable future as they deliver on all the important and most relevant metrics. The only problem I see from my perspective going forward, is that EVs are good at being disruptor technology and they will eventually take over like battery powered power tools since Lithium-Ion batteries are ubiquitous, and will eventually indirectly contribute to increased petrol/diesel prices and marginalise fossil fuel economies of scale. Which may be a good thing, or the worst possible environmental outcome. Either way, I don't think I will be around to see it anyway at my age
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 06:54 AM   #25
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
From an environmental standpoint I have no idea whether EVs are better or not, I'm a diehard internal combustion guy

But I have to admit seeing friends and family never have to deal with annual service/maintenance, and never visit a gas station and always "refuel" at home is a nice convenience... most people in major cities do not need more than 300+ miles of range a day
It really only makes any sense if one is using solar to charge/refuel the things up and to that, not everybody will be able to implement that at their property.
The power grid as it's currently designed does not configure well and it must be transitioned to a localised distribution and storage model to make it all work properly.
We aren't there yet by a very long way.
This business of puting in entirely new power transmission lines to accommodate large scale wind and solar farms in new locations is a cost that will need to be passed on and all of it needs to be maintained just like the existing stuff.
Fully factoring in increased insurance costs due to fires from at home car chargers and vehicles, storm/hail damage to panels on roofs and fires from PVDC isolators and inverters will put a dampener on the party as well.
The insurance companies won't be missing us and are coming after us already.
There's no such thing as a free lunch either and the world is going to find out the hard way about the cost of bearing the full responsibility for our own power generation and transportation.
Factoring in the lack of ability to repair an EV in an economical fashion after an accident is something insurance companies are still fully coming to grips with.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 07:16 AM   #26
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
We have long distances to travel at times and need to tow a trailer often as well into the mix so a battery powered vehicle won't cut it at all as the technology currently stands.
Especially if we would have to potentially install a total of 4 chargers in various properties to facilitate the operation of the vehicle.
I get as an around town run around car, they would be interesting especially given the reduced need to service them, but the longer term recycleability of the things are a concern
That said, a number of years ago I installed a Sh*te load of solar onto the roof of one of our properties in anticipation of the day I could take advantage of electrified transport in my later years. The Solar has been great as it completely covers my holding cost of the property, but the electric vehicle utopian thing hasn't miraculously materialised.
Given that there is not enough known reserves of Lithium, Cobalt and various other minerals in the world to cover off on the projected needs of the proletariat of the world it will simply remain as technology as a part of the mix.
Sadly, it will never be a be all and end all as things currently stand unless battery technology can catch up on every level.
EVs are and shall remain a means to virtue signal and as a status symbol for some in the cities.
Besides, I like my V8s way too much to give up on them in the foreseeable future as they deliver on all the important and most relevant metrics. The only problem I see from my perspective going forward, is that EVs are good at being disruptor technology and they will eventually take over like battery powered power tools since Lithium-Ion batteries are ubiquitous, and will eventually indirectly contribute to increased petrol/diesel prices and marginalise fossil fuel economies of scale. Which may be a good thing, or the worst possible environmental outcome. Either way, I don't think I will be around to see it anyway at my age
I think Jovan’s Paradox will eventually prevail once EV’s have a significant market share.

But as you say, the current storage technology isn’t there yet. There will need to be an improved battery design for EV’s to move beyond the first adopters. We are already seeing a decline in projected EV sales across all the major makers. People generally aren’t ready to give up proven reliability for a more expensive alternative with its’ own set of inconvenient operating constraints that ICE vehicles don’t have.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 09:44 AM   #27
austinp
"TRF" Member

Elon says all we need to do is build 500 sq mi of solar panels and it would power the United States. I bet TX or Nevada has the unused space for that.

austinp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 10:19 AM   #28
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Elon says all we need to do is build 500 sq mi of solar panels and it would power the United States. I bet TX or Nevada has the unused space for that.

But you’d lose half of that in the transmission going cross country. The solution is local generation. Sell a rooftop solar system with every EV. You might end up with the 500 square miles of solar panels bolted to garage roofs.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 10:21 AM   #29
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1968 View Post

I agree. I have a friend who went to the beach with us and the rental didn’t have charging outlet. It was 9 pm and he had to drive back home early the next day and his battery was near empty. He had to drive out to a nearby charging station and waited 45 minutes to charge his car. I know that is is anecdotal, but I don’t want to be in a situation like that ever.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 11:27 AM   #30
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post

He said 10,000 square miles a couple of years ago (tweeting against Bill Gates).

The quote:
"All you need is a 100 by 100 mile patch in a deserted corner of Arizona, Texas or Utah (or anywhere) to more than power the entire USA."

Can’t be sure what that really meant without context - sometime Musk makes statements just to troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote